• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler's balanced diet

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A Toddler's balanced diet is so important for their growth and development, and it can be tricky to get right! My tot is a very picky eater and I want to make sure she's getting everything she needs. What are some of your go-to healthy meals and snacks that your little ones love?

I'll start:
- My toddler loves fruit, so I often make smoothies with frozen strawberries, bananas, and mangoes, which I sneak in some spinach. She also loves drinking it through a straw!

What about savory options - any meal ideas for fussy eaters?

A Toddler's balanced diet is so important for their growth and development, and it can be tricky to get right! My tot is a very picky eater and I want to make sure she's getting everything she needs. What are some of your go-to healthy meals and snacks that your little ones love?

I'll start:
- My toddler loves fruit, so I often make smoothies with frozen strawberries, bananas, and mangoes, which I sneak in some spinach. She also loves drinking it through a straw!

Meals are always a challenge, but my kiddo loves pasta, so I often whip up a quick tomato sauce with hidden pureed carrots and celery. I serve it with plenty of Parmesan to make it more appealing. I also "sneaky" add Quinoa into the meal for some extra nutrients. Sometimes I'll switch it up with different shapes like star-shaped pasta for some variety.

For a balanced diet, I ensure that I serve it with some protein - either grilled chicken or fish, and steamed veggies on the side. Broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots are a favorite, cooked crisp and crunchy.

Some days, I resort to breakfast foods for dinner too, which my kids never complain about. Oatmeal with hidden pureed fruits and lots of milk is a common one, or egg omelets with cheese and vegetables.

Snacks are usually fruit and yogurt or smoothies as well, and for savory options, I'll give them wholegrain toast with hummus or peanut butter - a good source of protein!

I find that involving my kids in the cooking process also encourages them to eat better. They're more likely to try something they've had a hand in making, and it's a fun bonding activity too!

I'll start:

If you're looking for savory food alternatives, why not try tot-friendly finger foods like mini chicken bites or fish crackers? They're convenient and healthy, packed with protein, and ideal for picky eaters.

Another go-to option is muffin meals - you can hide a variety of healthy ingredients like grated vegetables or puréed fruits in the batter, and they're easy for little hands to hold and eat. I recommend baked pumpkin and feta muffins or banana and oat Bran muffins. These savory treats are a great hit among toddlers exploring their independence while eating.

For older toddlers, you can introduce pastas, salads, and wraps - a common favorite seems to be sushi rolls! You can make them colorful by adding different vegetables or fruits and use an elastic seaweed wrapper for that fun factor. Perhaps a sushi picnic could be a fun idea to entice their taste buds!

Meals are always a challenge, but my kiddo loves pasta, so I often whip up a quick tomato sauce with hidden pureed carrots and celery. I serve it with plenty of Parmesan to make it more appealing. I also "sneaky" add Quinoa into the meal for some extra nutrients. Sometimes I'll switch it up with different shapes like star-shaped pasta for some variety.

For a balanced diet, I ensure that I serve it with some protein - either grilled chicken or fish, and steamed veggies on the side. Broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots are a favorite, cooked crisp and crunchy.

Some days, I resort to breakfast foods for dinner too, which my kids never complain about. Oatmeal with hidden pureed fruits and lots of milk is a common one, or egg omelets with cheese and vegetables.

Snacks are usually fruit and yogurt or smoothies as well, and for savory options, I'll give them wholegrain toast with hummus or peanut butter - a good source of protein!

I find that involving my kids in the cooking process also encourages them to eat better. They're more likely to try something they've had a hand in making, and it's a fun bonding activity too!
That's a smart way to get them to eat their veggies, by hiding them in familiar foods. I find that cooking methods like pureeing or grated vegetables make it easier for fussy eaters to accept new flavors.

My daughter loves pasta too, so I might try introducing some new shapes and hidden ingredients to her. Thanks for the tip!

If you're looking for savory food alternatives, why not try tot-friendly finger foods like mini chicken bites or fish crackers? They're convenient and healthy, packed with protein, and ideal for picky eaters.

Another go-to option is muffin meals - you can hide a variety of healthy ingredients like grated vegetables or puréed fruits in the batter, and they're easy for little hands to hold and eat. I recommend baked pumpkin and feta muffins or banana and oat Bran muffins. These savory treats are a great hit among toddlers exploring their independence while eating.

For older toddlers, you can introduce pastas, salads, and wraps - a common favorite seems to be sushi rolls! You can make them colorful by adding different vegetables or fruits and use an elastic seaweed wrapper for that fun factor. Perhaps a sushi picnic could be a fun idea to entice their taste buds!
Certainly! Sushi is a delightful and nutritious option, a fun food that encourages exploration due to its colors and shapes. It's also a great way to introduce the textures of different foods and expand their sensory experiences.

I'm glad to find another mum who also chhips in some sneaky healthy ingredients! it is a challenge to keep our precious ones fed with nutritious meals, and I applaud your creativity in coming up with exciting meal options!

Does anyone else have similar savory foods that their little ones enjoy? It's challenging to come up with new ideas every day!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm and cissy
Certainly! Sushi is a delightful and nutritious option, a fun food that encourages exploration due to its colors and shapes. It's also a great way to introduce the textures of different foods and expand their sensory experiences.
Your mention of finger foods got me thinking about how toddlers benefit physically and psychologically from eating foods that they can handle themselves. This independent eating experience emboldens them and fosters a sense of achievement, doesn't it?

The variety of healthy options for toddlers' meals is overwhelming, isn't it?

I'm glad to find another mum who also chhips in some sneaky healthy ingredients! it is a challenge to keep our precious ones fed with nutritious meals, and I applaud your creativity in coming up with exciting meal options!

Does anyone else have similar savory foods that their little ones enjoy? It's challenging to come up with new ideas every day!
It's a constant juggle to feed our toddlers a balanced diet! keeping them engaged and fed is quite the task, and I find that variety is key.

Some other savoury foods that my daughter enjoys are homemade mini-pizzas! I use wholegrain English muffins as the base, and top them with some sauce and loads of veggies. You could also add some chicken or fish for extra protein. Another option is making mini vegetable spring rolls, which you can fry or bake. They're fun to eat and easy for their tiny hands!

You might also want to try loading up a baked sweet potato with healthy toppings like yogurt or low-fat cheese and some mixed berries. It's a convenient and wholesome snack that can be had on the go.

It's a constant challenge to feed our little ones healthy, nutritious meals they'll actually eat! The struggle to keep their diets balanced is so real. Haha! But it's heartening to see so many resourceful mums here sharing their meal hacks.

Some other savoury kid-friendly foods that come to mind are homemade vegetable fritters. They're a great way to use up leftover veggies, and the crispy texture makes them popular with toddlers. I like to add some mashed bananas or sweet potatoes for extra sweetness. Another trick is making mini pizza muffins - using an English muffin as the base. Top them with loads of vegetables and a bit of cheese, and you've got another delicious hide-the-veggies meal!

Those are great savory ideas! I love the idea of using muffin trays in particular - they seem to make food more fun and appealing.

I'm keen on making meals interesting enough for my fussy tot, and it seems like there's plenty of creative ways to do so without sacrificing nutrition.

Any other creative suggestions are welcome! It's helpful to have this list of ideas to fall back on when brainstorming meal ideas.

Your tot might outgrow the picky eating phase eventually but in the meantime, it's challenging to keep coming up with healthy options. Well done for trying your best as a parent!

The struggle for variety is real! It's a constant juggling act to keep meals interesting and nutritious. it's a relief to find kindred spirits in this struggle for tasty and nutritious meals for our little ones!

Another trick up my sleeve is adding a twist to a kid favorite: fried rice! I'll fry some onions and garlic (for extra aroma), throw in some left over proteins and veggies, and use brown rice for some added nutrients. It's a fun and easy way to clear out the fridge and feed the little tummy too. My tot also enjoys this comforting dish, and it's exciting enough with the different colors and textures. Sometimes, I'll make mini fried rice balls for a cute factor! How about you, any other ingenious mom hacks?

The variety of healthy options for toddlers' meals is overwhelming, isn't it?
Yes, the possibilities are endless, which can also be quite daunting for parents who are already stretched thin! But it's heartening to see so many creative ideas floating around, and it's a great starting point to create well-balanced meals for our precious ones.

Reactions: bookworm
Your tot might outgrow the picky eating phase eventually but in the meantime, it's challenging to keep coming up with healthy options. Well done for trying your best as a parent!
It's definitely difficult territory navigating toddler feeding patterns - their likes and dislikes can be so unpredictable! I find that exposing them to a variety of flavors and textures goes a long way in broadening their taste buds, even if it seems like an uphill battle at times!

Your mention of finger foods got me thinking about how toddlers benefit physically and psychologically from eating foods that they can handle themselves. This independent eating experience emboldens them and fosters a sense of achievement, doesn't it?
It's a great stage when they are slowly figuring out their likes and dislikes. Encouaging exposure to various textures and flavors goes a long way in my opinion! It's so heartening to see them exploring their boundaries and developing preferences, even if it means getting messily independent with their food.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
It's definitely difficult territory navigating toddler feeding patterns - their likes and dislikes can be so unpredictable! I find that exposing them to a variety of flavors and textures goes a long way in broadening their taste buds, even if it seems like an uphill battle at times!
I think one of the most helpful strategies is to expose our toddlers to a wide range of foods consistently. It's fascinating how toddler tastes can develop with repeated exposure - a simple flavor they disliked initially might become a newfound favorite after a few tries! So don't give up and keep offering a variety of healthy options!

Another trick is to involve them in the cooking process - toddlers tend to be fascinated by the whole experience, which can make them more inclined to eat what they've helped prepare. You could also let them choose from two or three healthy options to empower them and foster their independence.

Reactions: travelmum
It's a constant juggle to feed our toddlers a balanced diet! keeping them engaged and fed is quite the task, and I find that variety is key.

Some other savoury foods that my daughter enjoys are homemade mini-pizzas! I use wholegrain English muffins as the base, and top them with some sauce and loads of veggies. You could also add some chicken or fish for extra protein. Another option is making mini vegetable spring rolls, which you can fry or bake. They're fun to eat and easy for their tiny hands!

You might also want to try loading up a baked sweet potato with healthy toppings like yogurt or low-fat cheese and some mixed berries. It's a convenient and wholesome snack that can be had on the go.
That's a great idea - giving our children food that we can eat ourselves! My husband and I love japanese cuisine, so we often have some maki rolls at home. They're quite simple to make, and I agree that the colourful appearance entices young eaters. We also recently discovered freeze-dried fruits which are a hit with our little one - they're like crunchy snacks but healthier, and a good alternative to chips!

Good suggestions there, especially the mini pizzas and spring rolls - tot-sized foods are so handy for their little hands! And I've never thought of sweet potatoes with those toppings, might be an easy way to get some extra nutrition into my kid's snacks.

I think one of the most helpful strategies is to expose our toddlers to a wide range of foods consistently. It's fascinating how toddler tastes can develop with repeated exposure - a simple flavor they disliked initially might become a newfound favorite after a few tries! So don't give up and keep offering a variety of healthy options!

Another trick is to involve them in the cooking process - toddlers tend to be fascinated by the whole experience, which can make them more inclined to eat what they've helped prepare. You could also let them choose from two or three healthy options to empower them and foster their independence.
That's a great tip about engaging our curious toddlers in the process! Making cooking a sensory and fun learning experience may just be the trick to get them excited about new foods.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu