• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Tales

My little monster also loves playing this game - especially when I'm in a rush to leave the house! It's like some weird toddler law that the most important times to run away are when we're already late!

The key is definitely distraction, but it can be hard when they're onto you. I find having different types of snacks works best - like you said, something crinkly usually does the trick for a minute or two! But then I'm left with a whole bag of crackers to empty into his mouth because he knows that's mom's desperation move! Haha.
My tot has developed a new tactic recently - asking me to chase him. He runs around laughing maniacally, and if I don't chase him, he stops wherever he is and says, "Come on, Mum! Chase me!" It's cute but also annoying when we have places to be!

I'm going to remember your cracker idea for those moments!

My tot has developed a new tactic recently - asking me to chase him. He runs around laughing maniacally, and if I don't chase him, he stops wherever he is and says, "Come on, Mum! Chase me!" It's cute but also annoying when we have places to be!

I'm going to remember your cracker idea for those moments!
Haha yes, they can be so tricky! My first reaction was to refuse his demand - I mean, how dare he order me around! But now I just try to turn it into a game. If I make it fun and exciting instead of a chase, he seems to forget that he wanted to play that particular game and gets distracted by our new one!

Haha yes, they can be so tricky! My first reaction was to refuse his demand - I mean, how dare he order me around! But now I just try to turn it into a game. If I make it fun and exciting instead of a chase, he seems to forget that he wanted to play that particular game and gets distracted by our new one!
Making it into a fun game is a great idea! My little one likes to hide behind the sofa sometimes and peeks out with a naughty grin, so I've been 'attacking' her with tickles which she runs away from shrieking with laughter. Works every time!

Making it into a fun game is a great idea! My little one likes to hide behind the sofa sometimes and peeks out with a naughty grin, so I've been 'attacking' her with tickles which she runs away from shrieking with laughter. Works every time!
Oooh that sounds like an exciting game your tot has planned! A tickle attack is sure to keep them on their feet and giggling!

Reactions: sportytina
Hehe, you sure know how to have fun and keep things interesting!
There are many ways to find enjoyment in parenthood! My husband and I make it a point to introduce new and interesting activities for our toddler weekly!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Yup, toddlerhood sure keeps us on our toes! Reminds me of when my own monster... I mean darling daughter decided that the best place to practice her newly acquired superpower of running was in the car park. Almost went ROFL seeing her zoom past cars reverse parking, but the mom in me was like Whoa, slow down tiny runner!

We played a game of 'Red Light, Green Light' to practice stopping and starting and taught her that holding hands was a fun way to keep safe. That phase passed, but she's still into the game and we play it whenever we're outdoors. Can't stop those little hurricanes, might as well redirect their energy into fun activities!

200.gif

Mischievous tots, eh? Can really give us a run for our money, man. Mine likes to “sneak” out of the house when I’m busy in the kitchen. Once caught him running down the road in his undies cos he thought it was fun to escape while waiting for the school bus. nearly gave me a heart attack!

I realized totes need lotsa supervision and quick thinking on our part, too, to keep them safe from all the dangers they’re not aware of! And yeah, they're just testing their newfound abilities and independence - can be quite exasperating but it's also kind of cute, in a annoying way.

200.gif

The things they do can really give us a scare, but it's also adorable how creative they get with their newfound abilities! Your solution to the road-crossing caper is awesome - totally agree that redirecting their energy into fun activities that also teach them safety is the way to go.

My little one had this phase where he'd sprint off as soon as we reached any parking lot or open space. He thought it was a game, I think, and would just take off like Usain Bolt! It's a good thing our legs are longer than theirs, eh? I'd have to chase him down and then discreetly hold his hand extra tight when we crossed roads, which he didn't like because it meant he had to slow down.

So one day, I just went with it and made it into a game. I held out my hand and said, "Hey, wanna race?" He thought that was hilarious, especially when I did a little victory dance every time I "won." We raced everywhere after that and it became his favorite game for a while. Kids are such a handful, but moments like these are precious too - makes you appreciate the chaos sometimes!

Reactions: wisdom
The things they do can really give us a scare, but it's also adorable how creative they get with their newfound abilities! Your solution to the road-crossing caper is awesome - totally agree that redirecting their energy into fun activities that also teach them safety is the way to go.

My little one had this phase where he'd sprint off as soon as we reached any parking lot or open space. He thought it was a game, I think, and would just take off like Usain Bolt! It's a good thing our legs are longer than theirs, eh? I'd have to chase him down and then discreetly hold his hand extra tight when we crossed roads, which he didn't like because it meant he had to slow down.

So one day, I just went with it and made it into a game. I held out my hand and said, "Hey, wanna race?" He thought that was hilarious, especially when I did a little victory dance every time I "won." We raced everywhere after that and it became his favorite game for a while. Kids are such a handful, but moments like these are precious too - makes you appreciate the chaos sometimes!
When they start running off in public spaces, it's definitely a tricky phase! I've had to employ some sneaky tactics too, like you - the things we do to keep them safe, eh?

I played along with my tot's game of catch-me by pretending the floor was full of "lava." He had to step on the curb or risk getting "burned!" It kept him entertained and close by while we were out and about. And yes, aren't these shenanigans tiring, man? But they're so cute, how can we stay mad!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
When they start running off in public spaces, it's definitely a tricky phase! I've had to employ some sneaky tactics too, like you - the things we do to keep them safe, eh?

I played along with my tot's game of catch-me by pretending the floor was full of "lava." He had to step on the curb or risk getting "burned!" It kept him entertained and close by while we were out and about. And yes, aren't these shenanigans tiring, man? But they're so cute, how can we stay mad!
Sneaky tactics are a mom's secret weapon! I love how you played along with the lava game - kids have the most wild imaginations, it's adorable. My son once insisted the floor was full of monsters that could only be avoided by walking like a zombie. We had quite the shamble back to the car!

And yes, I feel ya on the appreciation for chaos. Toddlers keep us on our toes, but their goofy grins and adorable antics make it all worthwhile. They have such unique ways of seeing the world; it's a cute reminder to slow down and notice the little wonders around us.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Sneaky tactics are a mom's secret weapon! I love how you played along with the lava game - kids have the most wild imaginations, it's adorable. My son once insisted the floor was full of monsters that could only be avoided by walking like a zombie. We had quite the shamble back to the car!

And yes, I feel ya on the appreciation for chaos. Toddlers keep us on our toes, but their goofy grins and adorable antics make it all worthwhile. They have such unique ways of seeing the world; it's a cute reminder to slow down and notice the little wonders around us.
Lmao at the monsters on the floor! Kids really do say and do the darndest things, don't they? Their imaginative powers are wild and so adorable! It's fascinating how creative they can get, coming up with these fantastical scenarios out of the blue!

Reactions: stargazer
Lmao at the monsters on the floor! Kids really do say and do the darndest things, don't they? Their imaginative powers are wild and so adorable! It's fascinating how creative they can get, coming up with these fantastical scenarios out of the blue!
Yes, their imaginations know no bounds, and it's an exciting exploration into their quirky minds. We're always curious to see what new, whacky scenario they'll come up with next. Their creativity knows no limits!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
Yes, their imaginations know no bounds, and it's an exciting exploration into their quirky minds. We're always curious to see what new, whacky scenario they'll come up with next. Their creativity knows no limits!
Haha yes! It's like we're seeing the world through their eyes, and it's a fun, colorful place! Very amusing and fascinating And also exhausting...who knew toddlers could be such relentless monster hunters, huh? 😆

Haha yes! It's like we're seeing the world through their eyes, and it's a fun, colorful place! Very amusing and fascinating And also exhausting...who knew toddlers could be such relentless monster hunters, huh? 😆
It's definitely an adventure, keeping up with their boundless energy and enthusiasm! You must have loads of funny stories to share from your experiences. As parents, we're always on the edge of our seats, aren't we? And the creative ways toddlers come up with to keep us on our toes are simply impressive!

Reactions: bookworm
It's definitely an adventure, keeping up with their boundless energy and enthusiasm! You must have loads of funny stories to share from your experiences. As parents, we're always on the edge of our seats, aren't we? And the creative ways toddlers come up with to keep us on our toes are simply impressive!
Toddlers do have a unique way of keeping us parents on our feet and keeping life interesting! I have many tales to share too - from monster-fighting adventures under the bed, to sudden announcements thatMommy, I have no socks!", when we're in a rush. Toddler logic can be pretty hilarious! The other day, my little one declared that he wanted to go 'home', which was adorable because we were home. They have their own cute way of viewing the world, don't they?

Toddlers do have a unique way of keeping us parents on our feet and keeping life interesting! I have many tales to share too - from monster-fighting adventures under the bed, to sudden announcements thatMommy, I have no socks!", when we're in a rush. Toddler logic can be pretty hilarious! The other day, my little one declared that he wanted to go 'home', which was adorable because we were home. They have their own cute way of viewing the world, don't they?
Hah! Typical toddler antics, keeping everyone on tenterhooks! Their innocent mishmash of the reality is adorable. It's like their little minds are constantly cooking up new ways to keep us guessing and on our knees, monster fighting and all.

Hah! Typical toddler antics, keeping everyone on tenterhooks! Their innocent mishmash of the reality is adorable. It's like their little minds are constantly cooking up new ways to keep us guessing and on our knees, monster fighting and all.
Their minds are such a fascinating mix of curiosity, playfulness and innocence. It's refreshing, isn't it? They see everyday objects and situations in an entirely different light and somehow always manage to keep us on our toes with their unpredictable requests and actions! We're definitely in for a wild ride.

Their minds are such a fascinating mix of curiosity, playfulness and innocence. It's refreshing, isn't it? They see everyday objects and situations in an entirely different light and somehow always manage to keep us on our toes with their unpredictable requests and actions! We're definitely in for a wild ride.
It's a delightful phase, filled with fun and frolic! Their unfiltered imagination and playfulness are a constant reminder of the beauty of innocence. It's a special kind of exhaustion, but one that fills us with laughter and joy.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu