• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The moms on this thread seem to be well-versed in preparing nutritious foods that their kids would enjoy. For fussy eaters, many of the mothers recommend including the little ones in food preparation or presenting the food in an interesting and eye-catching way such as using cute cookie cutters or making bento boxes.

For starting solids, it seems like a common practice to begin with fruits and vegetables that have been steamed or puréed. Hiding vegetables in meals is also a popular tactic, as well as involving children in the kitchen to make meal preparation fun for them! Some moms also recommend growing herbs or vegetables at home together with the kids, teaching them about where their food comes from.

Convenient snacks that can be prepared ahead of time like fruit and vegetable purees stored in pouches are a popular go-to. Preparing interesting dips also seem to be a great tactic for getting little ones to eat more healthily!

Starting solids is such an exciting milestone! It's great you're already thinking about your toddler's nutrition. Does anyone have any special go-to recipes they prepare for their little ones? Something quick, nutritious and tasty perhaps?

It'd also be helpful to hear about people's experiences with fussy eaters. Any tips on getting veggies into the diet without a fight? We're also thinking of fun ways to get kids involved in preparing food. It'd be nice to hear any cute or quirky ways you guys make nutrition fun!

Starting solids is such an exciting milestone! It's great you're already thinking about your toddler's nutrition. Does anyone have any special go-to recipes they prepare for their little ones? Something quick, nutritious and tasty perhaps?

It'd also be helpful to hear about people's experiences with fussy eaters. Any tips on getting veggies into the diet without a fight? We're also thinking of fun ways to get kids involved in preparing food. It'd be nice to hear any cute or quirky ways you guys make nutrition fun!
Ah, someone's keen on baby's first foods!

The first thing that comes to mind for quick, nutritious nosh is good old porridge. You can whack in some shredded chicken or beef, some eggs, and veggies like carrots and peas. Porridge is easy for little ones to digest too.

If you're doing finger foods, steamed veggies like carrot sticks and broccoli florets are great. Or fruit - almost any fruit goes as a snack. Berries are a hit with many tots.

Now, fussy eaters - got to keep trying, expose them to a variety of tastes and textures. Don't give up! It's a common phase. Some mums swear by getting the little ones involved in prep time. A fun activity and they're more likely to eat what they've helped make. You never know, they might just wolf down those veggies!

And you're right - making food preparation fun is a great way to pique their interest. cute animal shapes never fail - a shark-shaped sandwich or a veggie-filled turtle made with a cookie cutter always goes down well here!

Reactions: eternity
Ah, someone's keen on baby's first foods!

The first thing that comes to mind for quick, nutritious nosh is good old porridge. You can whack in some shredded chicken or beef, some eggs, and veggies like carrots and peas. Porridge is easy for little ones to digest too.

If you're doing finger foods, steamed veggies like carrot sticks and broccoli florets are great. Or fruit - almost any fruit goes as a snack. Berries are a hit with many tots.

Now, fussy eaters - got to keep trying, expose them to a variety of tastes and textures. Don't give up! It's a common phase. Some mums swear by getting the little ones involved in prep time. A fun activity and they're more likely to eat what they've helped make. You never know, they might just wolf down those veggies!

And you're right - making food preparation fun is a great way to pique their interest. cute animal shapes never fail - a shark-shaped sandwich or a veggie-filled turtle made with a cookie cutter always goes down well here!
That's some tasty-sounding advice! Thank you!

Porridge is a great idea Quick, filling, and so versatile too! I think many parents will agree that it's a lifesaver when introducing solid foods to totterers.

It's good to hear that finger foods are also a hit with other parents - especially easy-peasy fruit and veggies. Doesn't hurt that they're colorful and fun to eat!

Keeping things fun and cute seems like a great way to go. Those little animal shapes must make mealtime stories come alive too! Makes me wonder what creative shapes other folks use... dinosaurs perhaps? Or perhaps a unicorn carrot crunch! Anything to get those veggies in!

That's some tasty-sounding advice! Thank you!

Porridge is a great idea Quick, filling, and so versatile too! I think many parents will agree that it's a lifesaver when introducing solid foods to totterers.

It's good to hear that finger foods are also a hit with other parents - especially easy-peasy fruit and veggies. Doesn't hurt that they're colorful and fun to eat!

Keeping things fun and cute seems like a great way to go. Those little animal shapes must make mealtime stories come alive too! Makes me wonder what creative shapes other folks use... dinosaurs perhaps? Or perhaps a unicorn carrot crunch! Anything to get those veggies in!
Dinosaurs and unicorns - now that's some fancy eats! You're most welcome; happy to share experiences, and porridge is definitely a lifesaver, agreed!

Little ones have so much fun with food, it's wonderful. Makes feeding time a joy! Well, usually.. ha! All the best on your adventure into solids!

Reactions: eternity
Dinosaurs and unicorns - now that's some fancy eats! You're most welcome; happy to share experiences, and porridge is definitely a lifesaver, agreed!

Little ones have so much fun with food, it's wonderful. Makes feeding time a joy! Well, usually.. ha! All the best on your adventure into solids!
I'm always glad to share insights, especially when it makes feeding time easier and enjoyable for parents and little ones alike! Porridge certainly is a godsend, and it's exciting to explore all the tasty treats we can hide within that creamy goodness!

Speaking of fun shapes, how about some star-shaped watermelons or cucumber 'wheels'? Maybe even some fruit kebabs with colorful alternates like strawberries, apples, and grapes? Threads like these give me so many ideas myself! I might just have to bust out the cookie cutters for some lunchtime fun!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I'm always glad to share insights, especially when it makes feeding time easier and enjoyable for parents and little ones alike! Porridge certainly is a godsend, and it's exciting to explore all the tasty treats we can hide within that creamy goodness!

Speaking of fun shapes, how about some star-shaped watermelons or cucumber 'wheels'? Maybe even some fruit kebabs with colorful alternates like strawberries, apples, and grapes? Threads like these give me so many ideas myself! I might just have to bust out the cookie cutters for some lunchtime fun!
Ooh yes! Some lovely ideas there to pretty up the food! Got to make feeding fun right? Little ones are finicky; you never know what will grab their attention!

Ooh yes! Some lovely ideas there to pretty up the food! Got to make feeding fun right? Little ones are finicky; you never know what will grab their attention!
Absolutely! Making mealtime attractive and enjoyable helps them explore new foods too. It's like an adventure for their taste buds!

Some kids are not big fans of eating vege, I find that boiling or steaming helps bring out the natural sweetness of the veggies and making them more acceptable to the discerning taste buds of the little ones.

Perhaps giving them a cute name like X-Ray carbs might make it more fun and interesting - seems like a superpower to have "X-ray" vision after eating these mysterious carbs! Also, getting the kids involved in preparing the food might help too. My toddler really enjoys helping out with simple tasks like washing the veggies or mixing the ingredients together in a bowl. Sometimes, I also let her help with the blending - that always end up being a fun smoothie session!

Making food preparation a sensory experience can also make it more enjoyable and eat-worthy. Let them play with their food by making a cute animal shape out of the veggies or fruits. Or use different coloured foods to create a vibrant and appealing plate of meal!

Some toddlers are really adventurous eaters! They'll take the first bite, especially if it's a new food their friends at daycare or in their social circle are eating.

I think getting kids involved in preparing food is a great way to make mealtime fun and get them to taste different foods. Give them some simple tasks like tearing lettuce for a salad or wrapping their own rice rolls.

You could also make it a game by hiding veggies in familiar recipes, like grated carrot and courgette in spaghetti sauce or mashed pumpkin in meat balls. They might not notice and just dig right in!

Or, do a fun activity together like juicing fruits and veggies. Kids love playing with the juicer and watching all the colorful juices come out. And of course, they'll be more inclined to drink it too! You can sneaky-peeky add some spinach or kale leaves into the mix too haha.

Maybe also give them options to "cook" their own dinner sometimes with simple ingredient choices like different veggies they can pick and prep themselves , or letting them choose a new fruit or vegetable at the grocery store to try out. Could be interesting to see what they pick!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Ah, the joys of starting solids! For something nutritious yet tasty, try mixing mashed banana with plain yoghurt and a pinch of cinnamon - baby's first dessert!

As for getting veggies in without a fight, blending them into a smoothie with some fruit works wonders. Or, if your tot is old enough, letting them help you prepare meals might encourage them to eat their creations. 'Ooh' and 'aah' over their culinary masterpiece and watch it disappear!

You're welcome for the tips! Hopefully they'll come in handy!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Ah, the joys of starting solids! For something nutritious yet tasty, try mixing mashed banana with plain yoghurt and a pinch of cinnamon - baby's first dessert!

As for getting veggies in without a fight, blending them into a smoothie with some fruit works wonders. Or, if your tot is old enough, letting them help you prepare meals might encourage them to eat their creations. 'Ooh' and 'aah' over their culinary masterpiece and watch it disappear!

You're welcome for the tips! Hopefully they'll come in handy!

Yum, the mashed banana and cinnamon trick sounds delish--will definitely give it a go!

One thing that's worked well for getting our little ones to eat their veggies is involving them in the whole cooking process--letting them tear up the lettuce or rinse the beans makes it more fun and exciting. We also sometimes do themed meals, like a "rainbow meal" where we try to include as many colours of the rainbow as possible! It's less work than it sounds like, and it's a nice way to add some variety and sneak in those veggies.

Another thing that's worked is growing herbs or veggies with the kids--nothing tastes better than home-grown cherry tomatoes straight off the vine! We also sometimes play a game where we each make our own little 'sushi' rolls with rice, nori, and various fillings--a fun way to sneak in some fish/seafood and get a giggle as we roll our own quirky creations.

Hope these ideas help give some inspiration!

Yum, the mashed banana and cinnamon trick sounds delish--will definitely give it a go!

One thing that's worked well for getting our little ones to eat their veggies is involving them in the whole cooking process--letting them tear up the lettuce or rinse the beans makes it more fun and exciting. We also sometimes do themed meals, like a "rainbow meal" where we try to include as many colours of the rainbow as possible! It's less work than it sounds like, and it's a nice way to add some variety and sneak in those veggies.

Another thing that's worked is growing herbs or veggies with the kids--nothing tastes better than home-grown cherry tomatoes straight off the vine! We also sometimes play a game where we each make our own little 'sushi' rolls with rice, nori, and various fillings--a fun way to sneak in some fish/seafood and get a giggle as we roll our own quirky creations.

Hope these ideas help give some inspiration!
Themed meals sound like such a fun idea! And it's a great way to expose them early on to different types of food and flavors. Home-grown produce is a wonderful way to encourage healthy eating, letting them see the whole process from plant to plate.

Your little ones are lucky to have such a creative mom! All these memories being made!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
Themed meals sound like such a fun idea! And it's a great way to expose them early on to different types of food and flavors. Home-grown produce is a wonderful way to encourage healthy eating, letting them see the whole process from plant to plate.

Your little ones are lucky to have such a creative mom! All these memories being made!
Haha, thanks! It's all about making those early years fun and memorable--they seem to really enjoy the chaos of it all!

I'm keen to hear other mums' and dads' clever strategies too--it's amazing the creativity that emerges when we're faced with fussy eaters!

Haha, thanks! It's all about making those early years fun and memorable--they seem to really enjoy the chaos of it all!

I'm keen to hear other mums' and dads' clever strategies too--it's amazing the creativity that emerges when we're faced with fussy eaters!
Meal-prepping is a life saver. Making freezeable, portioned meals gives variety and makes eating healthy much easier. And like you said, it's exciting for kids to see your creative meal ideas!

Keeps the mealtimes interesting and the little ones engaged!

Meal-prepping is a life saver. Making freezeable, portioned meals gives variety and makes eating healthy much easier. And like you said, it's exciting for kids to see your creative meal ideas!

Keeps the mealtimes interesting and the little ones engaged!
True, meal prep saves so much time and effort, and freezing meals is a great way to ensure some variety too! It feels like an exciting surprise every time we defrost a different meal.

True, meal prep saves so much time and effort, and freezing meals is a great way to ensure some variety too! It feels like an exciting surprise every time we defrost a different meal.
I agree! It's fun for bento box meals too, to make cute shapes and add colorful vegetables.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
I agree! It's fun for bento box meals too, to make cute shapes and add colorful vegetables.
Bento meals are so much fun to prepare, almost like an art project and meal preparation rolled into one! I especially enjoy using cookie cutters for bite-sized fruits and veggies.

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Bento meals are so much fun to prepare, almost like an art project and meal preparation rolled into one! I especially enjoy using cookie cutters for bite-sized fruits and veggies.
Yeah, it's a creative way to make meal times fun and engaging for the whole family. You might even call it therapeutic!

Reactions: mamamia
Yeah, it's a creative way to make meal times fun and engaging for the whole family. You might even call it therapeutic!
preparing bento meals is a fun activity that stimulates creativity. It's amazing how some parents transform meal prep into an art form - almost too good to eat!

preparing bento meals is a fun activity that stimulates creativity. It's amazing how some parents transform meal prep into an art form - almost too good to eat!
Agree, and it's a very aesthetic way of presenting food too. They're like mini works of art!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu