• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition Starts Here

It's so true - the personality of a child plays a huge role in their food preferences, it's not just about what we expose them to, but also how they're wired! Let's definitely keep sharing notes; I'd love to hear your tactics for encouraging an adventurous palate!

personality definitely impacts their eating habits! I've found that describing foods with exciting adjectives gets my kids interested and intrigued, especially if it's something new or unfamiliar on their plates. So adding a bit of drama and fun when introducing new foods goes a long way - like this colorful "magic fruit salad" or these delicious "dragon eggs" (hard boiled eggs, obviously!). It makes eating an adventure! And of course, if the kids help prepare the meal, they're much more likely to give it a go. Sometimes I'll also tell them stories about the ingredients and where they come from - that's usually a hit too!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
That's so true, giving food fun names is a great way to pique their curiosity and get them excited about eating. I love the ideas of "dragon eggs", I can see how that would captivate toddlers!

Storytelling is another brilliant strategy, anything to make it an enjoyable and engaging experience. It's wonderful to set this adventure-like tone for mealtimes!

• Love
Reactions: nature
It's a fun and easy way to make eating an exciting adventure! Storytelling really is a great tactic, and it's so much fun to get creative with it too - you can tailor the story to the food too which is a nice bonus. Dragon eggs are a huge hit in our house! Any other fun names or storytelling strategies people use?

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
We create an "Adventuring Trio" with side dishes, calling them different characters and giving them exciting attributes - this works particularly well with veggies! Carrot becomes Super Carrot, whose superpower is super speed. Broccoli becomes the mighty tree-climber Broccman, who helps little forest creatures in his spare time. We also have a game where we create a new fruit or veggie superhero every meal, and my son gets to name it - this helps him try different produce and come up with fun names!

What wonderful ideas! Making food fun is such a great way to encourage healthy eating habits, and your adventures trio and super-powered veggies sound like a delicious and exciting way to do that!

It's fantastic that you're embracing the adventure and getting your son involved too - naming the new produce superheroes is a lovely way to get him engaged and using his imagination. It's great to hear these ideas and I'm sure other parents will love them too!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! Making mealtimes an adventure has been such a fun way to introduce new foods to my little one, and I'm thrilled to hear others are doing the same and finding these ideas helpful. Using produce superheroes is a great way to get our little ones invested and excited about trying new things - their imaginations are powerful tools! It's a strategy that definitely makes our mealtimes a lot more enjoyable and helps to keep us on the right track. I'm sure many parents will have some brilliant suggestions for making nutrition an adventure too; it's such an important part of parenting, so let's share all the fun ideas!

Making nutrition an adventure is such a wonderful approach and it's lovely to hear how it's working so well for you - using imagination and creating little stories or themes is so effective! It's amazing how willing they are to join in and explore new foods when there's an exciting narrative involved. I totally agree that hearing other parents' fun ideas would be incredible - a great way to keep mealtimes varied, fun and nutritious!

Reactions: travelmum
Making nutrition an adventure is such a wonderful approach and it's lovely to hear how it's working so well for you - using imagination and creating little stories or themes is so effective! It's amazing how willing they are to join in and explore new foods when there's an exciting narrative involved. I totally agree that hearing other parents' fun ideas would be incredible - a great way to keep mealtimes varied, fun and nutritious!
There are many ways to make eating fun for toddlers. Using imagination and creativity is so rewarding, especially when it encourages them to eat healthily.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu