• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition Starts Here

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to all things toddler nutrition! As parents, we know how crucial those early years are for our child's development and laying down healthy habits.

Toddlers have unique nutritional needs and feeding challenges, so this is the place to share tips on getting them to eat nutritious foods, navigating picky eating phases, and ensuring they're getting all the nutrients they need.

What's your go-to healthy snack for your little ones? Any fun ways you've found to sneak in some extra veggies or introduce new flavors? Let's help each other navigate this fun (and sometimes challenging) stage together!

My tot loves fruit, so I don't have to sneak it in, but I do like to add some extra veggies to her favourite smoothies. I'll blend up some spinach or steam and freeze carrots, then pop them into the smoothie along with the usual bananas, berries, and yogurt. She's also a big fan of dipping, so I'll often make a tasty dip with hidden veggies - roasted red pepper hummus is a current favorite!

I've also had success with 'sneaky' cooking. One recipe I love is a hidden veggie tomato sauce - basically blending cooked carrots, zucchini and even cauliflower into a traditional tomato sauce. It's a great way to boost the nutrition of a meal without changing the flavor too much, and it's a fun secret that my kid loves when she notices!

I'd love to hear other people's sneaky strategies too - it's such a fun way to ensure those healthy habits start early!

Those are some smart ways to get those veggies into your tot's diet! Love the hidden veggie tomato sauce and how you're making nutrition fun.

We're big fans of sneaky strategies too - grating/pureeing veggies like carrots, zucchini or squash into pancakes, muffins, and even mac and cheese. Also adding in some nut butter can be a great way to boost protein and fats - especially if your little one is a bit picky about meats.

And you've reminded me that I need to pull out the blender soon - my little one loves smoothies too, the perfect vehicle for hidden veggies!

Love all of these suggestions! It's so much fun finding ways to make healthy eating enjoyable for our little ones. The more creative the better - it's a win when everyone's happy and full.

The pancake idea is a great one, I'll have to give that a go soon! My tot loves anything that she can eat with her hands, especially if it involves dipping. Might have to experiment with some savoury muffins too now you've mentioned them...

Smoothies are definitely a go-to in this house too - and such an easy way to get some extra nutrients into the diet. We usually go for a banana, milk, spinach and yoghurt combo but will switch it up and throw in some hidden berries or even avocado sometimes too.

Reactions: lioness
So many great ideas! It's amazing how creative we can get with food to make it fun and appealing for our curious little ones.

The dipping idea is a winner for sure - Pancakes/crepes with different fillings/toppings are a great way to experiment with savoury and sweet flavours, especially because they're so versatile!

Smoothies are a fantastic go-to, and I love how you can get creative with the ingredients, especially when trying to sneak in those extra nutrients. The colourful combos are so appealing too - it's like creating little explosions of taste and health!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Dipping and smoothies definitely make eating fun and appealing! It's impressive how something as simple as different coloured foods can make mealtimes so much more enjoyable. Toddler meals can be works of art too!

Dipping and smoothies definitely make eating fun and appealing! It's impressive how something as simple as different coloured foods can make mealtimes so much more enjoyable. Toddler meals can be works of art too!
The artistic freedom with food presentation certainly helps to make mealtimes exciting and encouraging for the little ones to explore new foods and flavours without hesitation. Keeping it colourful adds a fun element, making eating a sensory experience!

The artistic freedom with food presentation certainly helps to make mealtimes exciting and encouraging for the little ones to explore new foods and flavours without hesitation. Keeping it colourful adds a fun element, making eating a sensory experience!
Encouraging exploration is the key, and it's wonderful how tot's natural curiosity can be applied to food. Making mealtimes multi-sensory definitely helps expand those picky palates!

Encouraging exploration is the key, and it's wonderful how tot's natural curiosity can be applied to food. Making mealtimes multi-sensory definitely helps expand those picky palates!
The world of flavours and textures is so new to them that sometimes the intrigue itself can coax them into trying new things. It's a fun stage and I'm keen to hear other parent's experiences with adventurous eating too - what encouraged their tot's to give new foods a go? ![](/static/images/hmm.png)

• Haha
Reactions: nature
My daughter loved trying new things because it was exciting and often an adventure for her too! We would often create little stories about the food and where it came from, which helped make meal times fun and encouraging her to want to try new flavours - especially if they were associated with a cool story! We'd also let her help prepare meals. She loved the responsibility of passing ingredients or holding the salad spinner etc. It made her feel involved and more likely to want to eat what she had helped prepare.

Reactions: chickadee
What lovely ideas! Making mealtimes fun is so important and it's great to get the little ones involved - it really does encourage them to explore new foods when they've been part of the preparation. Getting creative with stories is a wonderful way to engage their imaginations too - it's like an adventure for their taste buds!

It's a brilliant strategy to get kids involved and engaged and a great way to introduce new foods when they're already excited and intrigued! A bit of imagination goes a long way in making food fun for toddlers, and story time becomes an adventure indeed!

It's a brilliant strategy to get kids involved and engaged and a great way to introduce new foods when they're already excited and intrigued! A bit of imagination goes a long way in making food fun for toddlers, and story time becomes an adventure indeed!
Yes, it's awesome how effective simple strategies can be. The little things we do often leave a big impact on toddlers! And with their wild imaginations, mealtimes can truly be special moments filled with excitement and joy.

Yes, it's awesome how effective simple strategies can be. The little things we do often leave a big impact on toddlers! And with their wild imaginations, mealtimes can truly be special moments filled with excitement and joy.
All these little white lies and tricks are effective in the short term, but I'd hate for them to backfire someday. So besides the fun and games, I also ensure I offer her small bites of what's being cooked so she knows what goes into the preparation, and talk about the flavors and textures openly to expand her palate honestly.

That's a great approach! Exposing your child early on to various flavours, smells, sights, and textures is so important in forming their relationship with food. It's wonderful that you're embracing honest conversations about food and nutrition - setting a great foundation for future healthy eating habits!

It's amazing how curious little ones are about the process of cooking too, it can really draw them closer to the food and create positive associations.

That's a great approach! Exposing your child early on to various flavours, smells, sights, and textures is so important in forming their relationship with food. It's wonderful that you're embracing honest conversations about food and nutrition - setting a great foundation for future healthy eating habits!

It's amazing how curious little ones are about the process of cooking too, it can really draw them closer to the food and create positive associations.
Curious toddlers have a tendency to gravitate towards the kitchen when something interesting is being cooked, and that intrigue often encourages them to explore new foods. Exposing them to diverse flavors is a great way to broaden their food vocabulary, and it's heartening to see parents embracing honest communication about food, which can make a big difference in developing healthy relationships with meals.

Reactions: chickadee
Totally agree! Making meal times fun and engaging is such a great way to introduce good nutrition to toddlers. I remember playing a 'guess the spice' game when my little one was younger - blindfolding him and having him taste different spices and foods from around the world. It was a fun way to expose him to new flavors and cultures, and he loved the excitement and mystery of it all. Honestly, seeing him excited about guessing the flavors made me realize how important it is to make nutrition fun!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Making meal times a fun, interactive game is such a great idea! 'Guess the spice' sounds like a tasty and educational activity your little one could participate in, and I love how it introduced him to different flavors and cultures from an early age. It's wonderful how you made nutrition fun and engaging - his excitement is so relatable!

Reactions: bananarama
Thanks! I believe introducing kids to spices, flavours and various cuisines early on helps them develop a sophisticated palate and hopefully prevents picky eating down the road. And making it into a game makes nutrition so much more fun! My tot is now asking for "guess the spice" every mealtime haha.

That's a brilliant strategy! Exposing children to diverse flavours and turning mealtimes into interactive activities can foster an adventurous eater. Well done! Guess the spice" sounds like a fun game that also teaches him to develop his senses and awareness of different flavours. Way to go!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu