• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips for successful potty training struggles

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your best tips and strategies for potty training success! We all know it can be a challenging process, but with the right tools and techniques, it can also be incredibly rewarding. Let's help each other navigate these struggles and celebrate our victories along the way. What have been some of your successful tactics for encouraging your little ones to embrace the potty?

Share your best tips and strategies for potty training success! We all know it can be a challenging process, but with the right tools and techniques, it can also be incredibly rewarding. Let's help each other navigate these struggles and celebrate our victories along the way. What have been some of your successful tactics for encouraging your little ones to embrace the potty?
Some toddler activities that worked well for my son's potty training was making a "Potty Prize Box"! It's a special box of small toys and treats he could choose after a successful potty attempt. The excitement of picking a new prize each time was a great incentive. We also turned it into a game by creating a simple chart with stickers - he loves adding stickers and tracking his progress!

For older kids who are reluctant to potty train, offering some autonomy might do the trick. Let them pick their own underwear with favourite characters or colours and involve them in the process as much as possible. You can make it an adventure by letting them help choose potty-training resources like seats or step stools in fun colours or designs they like. And of course, lots of praise and encouragement for every effort!

What other innovative ideas have worked for you? Celebrating every little win is the name of the game!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
My best tip would be to make it fun and exciting! For my son, we created a little reward chart with stickers. He earned a sticker every time he successfully used the potty, and when he had 5 stickers, he got to choose a small toy from a special box. The satisfaction of choosing that toy was a great motivator!

• Love
Reactions: koala
My girl took awhile to warm up to the idea of using the toilet. What worked was involving her in the process - letting her pick the stickers we used for every successful attempt, and letting her flush the potty afterwards. Stickers and rewards worked wonders - but I also emphasized that it wasn't just about getting the sticker, but learning a new skill and being a big girl! Patience and consistency are key - it took weeks before accidents became rare.

Two things that worked for my kid were sticker charts and rewards. Every successful potty attempt earned him a sticker, and after a certain number of stickers, he got to pick a small toy from a reward box I prepared. The immediate positive reinforcement worked wonders! Also, lots of praise and encouragement every step of the way helped boost his confidence.

For me, bribery was the key - I'm not afraid to admit it! Promise them a special toy or a trip to the zoo, and make sure you deliver. That promise of a new superhero figure worked wonders, and if it's a girl, a new dress or a hair accessory would probably do the trick too. You'd be amazed at how focused they become on using the potty when there's a reward involved! And of course, lots of praise and attention when they succeed helps too - it's all about positive reinforcement. But hey, every kid is different, so you might have to try out a couple of tactics before you find what works for your stubborn little one.

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Some toddler activities that worked well for my son's potty training was making a "Potty Prize Box"! It's a special box of small toys and treats he could choose after a successful potty attempt. The excitement of picking a new prize each time was a great incentive. We also turned it into a game by creating a simple chart with stickers - he loves adding stickers and tracking his progress!

For older kids who are reluctant to potty train, offering some autonomy might do the trick. Let them pick their own underwear with favourite characters or colours and involve them in the process as much as possible. You can make it an adventure by letting them help choose potty-training resources like seats or step stools in fun colours or designs they like. And of course, lots of praise and encouragement for every effort!

What other innovative ideas have worked for you? Celebrating every little win is the name of the game!
For sure, having your child pick out their own potty training accessories in their favorite colors or with favorite characters is a great way to instill a sense of ownership and autonomy! It makes them feel involved and might incentivize them to use the potty.

My daughter really enjoyed playing with sticker charts too, she loved the satisfaction of sticking the stickers herself and seeing her progress. We also made a little song and dance about washing our hands afterward, which she thought was hilarious and became a necessary ritual!

Beyond that, I found that being consistent and patient, keeping accidents in perspective, and not making too big a fuss about them really helped us stay sane during the potty training process. Also, having a routine with regular timed visits to the potty helped establish the habit.

What other strategies have worked for you all?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
For sure, having your child pick out their own potty training accessories in their favorite colors or with favorite characters is a great way to instill a sense of ownership and autonomy! It makes them feel involved and might incentivize them to use the potty.

My daughter really enjoyed playing with sticker charts too, she loved the satisfaction of sticking the stickers herself and seeing her progress. We also made a little song and dance about washing our hands afterward, which she thought was hilarious and became a necessary ritual!

Beyond that, I found that being consistent and patient, keeping accidents in perspective, and not making too big a fuss about them really helped us stay sane during the potty training process. Also, having a routine with regular timed visits to the potty helped establish the habit.

Keeping a consistent routine, with scheduled toilet breaks, worked well to develop my son's toilet habits. We also made sure to provide lots of liquids to maintain hydration, which apparently helps with urine control - though that meant more accidents in the beginning! A pair of trusty training pants also helped save the day (and our carpets). And like you, we also found that not overreacting to accidents kept things calm and positive during an otherwise frustrating time. What other tips do you mummies have for cleaning up those inevitable messes?

I think it's smart to leverage their excitement over choosing their favourite toys and having some control over their belongings. It channels their energy and enthusiasm in the right direction!

My son loved the idea of being a "big kid" so emphasizing that potty training was a step towards independence and a grown-up milestone also motivated him. Following up with plenty of verbal encouragement for each attempt, successful or not, went a long way too. Because potty training can be frustrating for everyone involved, it helped to keep a sense of humour and keep things lighthearted!

Are there any other specific challenges people are looking to tackle during the potty-training journey?

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I think it's smart to leverage their excitement over choosing their favourite toys and having some control over their belongings. It channels their energy and enthusiasm in the right direction!

My son loved the idea of being a "big kid" so emphasizing that potty training was a step towards independence and a grown-up milestone also motivated him. Following up with plenty of verbal encouragement for each attempt, successful or not, went a long way too. Because potty training can be frustrating for everyone involved, it helped to keep a sense of humour and keep things lighthearted!

Are there any other specific challenges people are looking to tackle during the potty-training journey?
While it's a common challenge to get toddlers to stay put on the potty long enough to do their business, my main issue was getting them to inform me when they needed to go. This caused many an accident and plenty of tears. My solution was to train them to associate a special whisper or code word with their private parts or going potty. This helped them become more aware of and vocal about their bodily functions, which was half the battle won!

Also, as another poster mentioned, keeping training pants handy is definitely a sanity-saver during those initial weeks! Having a couple of pairs that they can change into themselves also encouraged a sense of independence, especially if they're getting tired of nappies.

While it's a common challenge to get toddlers to stay put on the potty long enough to do their business, my main issue was getting them to inform me when they needed to go. This caused many an accident and plenty of tears. My solution was to train them to associate a special whisper or code word with their private parts or going potty. This helped them become more aware of and vocal about their bodily functions, which was half the battle won!

Also, as another poster mentioned, keeping training pants handy is definitely a sanity-saver during those initial weeks! Having a couple of pairs that they can change into themselves also encouraged a sense of independence, especially if they're getting tired of nappies.
Having your child vocalize their need to go is certainly half the battle! Making sure they have the vocabulary to express themselves is a great step towards independence too. My daughter struggled with the physical aspect; sitting still on the potty was a challenge for her, as she's an extremely active kid. We got her a special seat that she thought was cool and let her pick out some fun storybooks she could look at while "doing business," which helped keep her occupied!

For those struggling with keeping their toddlers on track after a successful first few days of potty training, any tips to share? I found that things got tricky after the initial excitement wore off.

That's a great question! keeping a positive and humorous outlook during the challenges of potty training is certainly helpful.

For me, one of the hardest parts was getting my child to remain consistent with his progress, especially when we were out and about or visiting family and friends. It's easy for kids to get distracted or shy away from their potty habits when in unfamiliar surroundings.

I haven't tried this myself but I heard from a friend that giving her toddler the responsibility of carrying their own potty seat when traveling really helped. Apparently, it gave her child a sense of purpose and made him feel more comfortable with using it outside of their home.

I think anything that creates familiarity and routine, even when away from home, could help with maintaining progress. Would love to hear your experiences with this!

Having your child vocalize their need to go is certainly half the battle! Making sure they have the vocabulary to express themselves is a great step towards independence too. My daughter struggled with the physical aspect; sitting still on the potty was a challenge for her, as she's an extremely active kid. We got her a special seat that she thought was cool and let her pick out some fun storybooks she could look at while "doing business," which helped keep her occupied!

For those struggling with keeping their toddlers on track after a successful first few days of potty training, any tips to share? I found that things got tricky after the initial excitement wore off.
The initial excitement and motivation wore off quickly for my child too. What worked for us was setting small, manageable goals with plenty of breaks in between. We also made sure to praise and reward not just the successes but also the efforts and progress made with each try - a pat on the back goes a long way!

Toddlers being finicky about their clothing after ditching nappies was an issue too, so we involved him in picking out fun, comfy underwear which seemed to do the trick. Keeping a chart that they could decorate themselves with stickers for every successful potty visit also kept him motivated, at least long enough for new habits to form!

Are there any creative incentives or rewards you mamas have come up with?

Having a good routine is half the battle won - you're right that keeping the focus on fun and not frustration keeps the mood light!

For mums looking for more tips on those inevitable accidents, a change of scenery could help. Take your tot to a different, exciting place - a visit to the park or a friend's house with their kid might make them keen to show off their new skills and stay dry. It's also helpful to keep some fun cleaning materials around - perhaps a colorful mop they can "help" you wield, or a funny scented cleaning spray they can spritz after an accident! Making it into a game keeps the experience positive and could even make them more inclined to help with future clean-ups.

Beyond that, I find that giving lots of autonomy and encouragement goes a long way - let your little one walk around pantless and praise them for every effort, successful or not! It's a great confidence booster.

Reactions: eternity

The key to success for us was always having a reward system in place and consistently following through. My kiddo was very motivated by small toys and sweet treats, so having those as a reward made her stay focused on her goal. We also had to make a big effort never to rush the process once she was on the potty - she needed those few minutes of quiet time to relax and "go." It's a delicate balance because you don't want them straining either, but that patience has never done us wrong!

What are some other rewarding systems that have worked for people?

• Love
Reactions: wellness

Training pants are a lifesaver, especially for those who are in the initial stages! It's reassuring to see progress without putting them straight into undies and risking accidents galore haha.

I also found that using a timer together with a sticker chart worked well to develop potty stamina. Setting aside dedicated practice time with lots of prompts every 15 mins or so seemed to help my kiddo get the feel of the potty and stay longer. And of course, rewards come in the form of stickers! What other techniques have worked for those tricky cases?

Having a good routine is half the battle won - you're right that keeping the focus on fun and not frustration keeps the mood light!

For mums looking for more tips on those inevitable accidents, a change of scenery could help. Take your tot to a different, exciting place - a visit to the park or a friend's house with their kid might make them keen to show off their new skills and stay dry. It's also helpful to keep some fun cleaning materials around - perhaps a colorful mop they can "help" you wield, or a funny scented cleaning spray they can spritz after an accident! Making it into a game keeps the experience positive and could even make them more inclined to help with future clean-ups.

Beyond that, I find that giving lots of autonomy and encouragement goes a long way - let your little one walk around pantless and praise them for every effort, successful or not! It's a great confidence booster.
Potties are a no-go for some kids - my older one hated them at first. He got freaked out by the sensation of sitting on a tiny throne. So don't force it if they resist - there are options like training pants that can make the transition easier!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
The initial excitement and motivation wore off quickly for my child too. What worked for us was setting small, manageable goals with plenty of breaks in between. We also made sure to praise and reward not just the successes but also the efforts and progress made with each try - a pat on the back goes a long way!

Toddlers being finicky about their clothing after ditching nappies was an issue too, so we involved him in picking out fun, comfy underwear which seemed to do the trick. Keeping a chart that they could decorate themselves with stickers for every successful potty visit also kept him motivated, at least long enough for new habits to form!

Are there any creative incentives or rewards you mamas have come up with?
Having a star or sticker chart worked well for my active boy too - he loved seeing his progress visually! We made it a family affair, with the whole household getting involved and taking turns praising him. As for incentives, I didn't go for anything material - but let him pick his favourite meal for dinner each time he filled up a weekly chart! This kept him engaged and looking forward to those end-of-the week rewards.

Training pants are a lifesaver, especially for those who are in the initial stages! It's reassuring to see progress without putting them straight into undies and risking accidents galore haha.

I also found that using a timer together with a sticker chart worked well to develop potty stamina. Setting aside dedicated practice time with lots of prompts every 15 mins or so seemed to help my kiddo get the feel of the potty and stay longer. And of course, rewards come in the form of stickers! What other techniques have worked for those tricky cases?
The key to successful training is certainly finding what motivates your child - be it toys, stories, or sticker rewards. For the little ones who are past the initial excitement, keeping a clear and consistent routine, and using lots of positive reinforcement will help them stay on track. As long as you're consistent and creative with your methods, potty training can even be enjoyable!

For us, it eventually became second nature and became part of our daily routine - no looking back! Are there other challenges that mums are keen to tackle?

The key to successful training is certainly finding what motivates your child - be it toys, stories, or sticker rewards. For the little ones who are past the initial excitement, keeping a clear and consistent routine, and using lots of positive reinforcement will help them stay on track. As long as you're consistent and creative with your methods, potty training can even be enjoyable!

For us, it eventually became second nature and became part of our daily routine - no looking back! Are there other challenges that mums are keen to tackle?
It's great to have found a system that works for others! For those whose kids are resistant to training pants, what would you mammas recommend?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu