• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Hacks

Let's hope for a smooth sailing week with no stormy days! Have a good one yourself!
Looks like most of us are off to a great start this week. I'm interested in your time-related experiences and tips. Feel free to share any time-saving hacks you've discovered over the years. Do you have any quick, easy, and effective organization or planning methods? How do you manage your time effectively? I'm listening!

Looks like most of us are off to a great start this week. I'm interested in your time-related experiences and tips. Feel free to share any time-saving hacks you've discovered over the years. Do you have any quick, easy, and effective organization or planning methods? How do you manage your time effectively? I'm listening!
As a mom, every minute truly counts, so I've had to learn to be extra efficient with my time. Here are some of my go-to time hacks:

1. Set up a centralized command center. We have a small corner in our kitchen where bills, important school letters, and calendar reminders are placed. That way, nobody misses any crucial dates and we can quickly glance at what's coming up.

2. Utilize a family shared calendar on our phones with reminders for events, birthdays, and even meal planning. This has saved us from doubling up on plans and forgetting key dates.

3. Meal prep! I try to set aside one day each week for some batch cooking so that on busy days, we have some homemade convenience meals ready to go. It also cuts down the decision fatigue when you've had a long day and just need to eat something quick.

4. Keep a daily to-do list, not just for myself but also with my son's help for simple, age-appropriate tasks. It gives him a sense of responsibility and keeps me aware of everything that needs doing. Plus, checking off items is satisfyng!

5. When possible, tackle the most unpleasant task first thing in the morning. For me, it's usually an unpleasant work email or something admin-related that I'd rather not do. Getting it out of the way boosts my motivation and makes room for more pleasant tasks later.

What about you? Any life-changing time hacks I should know about?

As a mom, every minute truly counts, so I've had to learn to be extra efficient with my time. Here are some of my go-to time hacks:

1. Set up a centralized command center. We have a small corner in our kitchen where bills, important school letters, and calendar reminders are placed. That way, nobody misses any crucial dates and we can quickly glance at what's coming up.

2. Utilize a family shared calendar on our phones with reminders for events, birthdays, and even meal planning. This has saved us from doubling up on plans and forgetting key dates.

3. Meal prep! I try to set aside one day each week for some batch cooking so that on busy days, we have some homemade convenience meals ready to go. It also cuts down the decision fatigue when you've had a long day and just need to eat something quick.

4. Keep a daily to-do list, not just for myself but also with my son's help for simple, age-appropriate tasks. It gives him a sense of responsibility and keeps me aware of everything that needs doing. Plus, checking off items is satisfyng!

5. When possible, tackle the most unpleasant task first thing in the morning. For me, it's usually an unpleasant work email or something admin-related that I'd rather not do. Getting it out of the way boosts my motivation and makes room for more pleasant tasks later.

What about you? Any life-changing time hacks I should know about?
That's an impressive lineup of time-saving strategies, especially the command center and shared calendar - those sound like great ways to keep the whole family organized!

I'm a big fan of meal prepping too, but I usually end up doing it every two weeks because of the intense but satisfying marathon cooking sessions I subject myself to. It's worth it to have quick, healthy meals ready on busy days, and it definitely reduces the urge to order takeout.

I've also learned that setting a realistic goal time for each task helps me to keep on track. I'm quite an underestimate-and-rush type, so giving myself a slight buffer has reduced some unneeded stress in my life.

Does anyone else have any quirky but effective time hacks they'd like to share? Some of these ideas are really quite clever!

That's an impressive lineup of time-saving strategies, especially the command center and shared calendar - those sound like great ways to keep the whole family organized!

I'm a big fan of meal prepping too, but I usually end up doing it every two weeks because of the intense but satisfying marathon cooking sessions I subject myself to. It's worth it to have quick, healthy meals ready on busy days, and it definitely reduces the urge to order takeout.

I've also learned that setting a realistic goal time for each task helps me to keep on track. I'm quite an underestimate-and-rush type, so giving myself a slight buffer has reduced some unneeded stress in my life.

Does anyone else have any quirky but effective time hacks they'd like to share? Some of these ideas are really quite clever!
I've found that setting realistic timelines also helps me stay on track and avoid unnecessary stress. No more last-minute rushing!

Also, I used to struggle with remembering all the passwords for the myriad of online accounts we have these days. But a simple, foolproof password organization system has saved me from tons of unnecessary hassle. I use the Notes app on my phone to keep them organized and easily accessible. It's a small thing but it makes logging in much quicker!

I've found that setting realistic timelines also helps me stay on track and avoid unnecessary stress. No more last-minute rushing!

Also, I used to struggle with remembering all the passwords for the myriad of online accounts we have these days. But a simple, foolproof password organization system has saved me from tons of unnecessary hassle. I use the Notes app on my phone to keep them organized and easily accessible. It's a small thing but it makes logging in much quicker!
I also make sure to organize all travel documents and itineraries for quick reference - airport runs are stressful enough as they are.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and wisdom
I also make sure to organize all travel documents and itineraries for quick reference - airport runs are stressful enough as they are.
Travel days can be so hectic! I usually prepare our travel documents the night before, double-checking that all passports, bookings, and itineraries are in order. It gives me a peace of mind and saves us from any last-minute searches or panics.

I'm also a huge fan of packing lists - I have a generic one which I tailor for each trip. It ensures we never forget any essentials and also helps with packing to come back home! I find that these preparations greatly reduce the travel stress and leave more room to enjoy the holiday itself.
Does anyone else have some tried and tested travel hacks?

Travel days can be so hectic! I usually prepare our travel documents the night before, double-checking that all passports, bookings, and itineraries are in order. It gives me a peace of mind and saves us from any last-minute searches or panics.

I'm also a huge fan of packing lists - I have a generic one which I tailor for each trip. It ensures we never forget any essentials and also helps with packing to come back home! I find that these preparations greatly reduce the travel stress and leave more room to enjoy the holiday itself.
Does anyone else have some tried and tested travel hacks?
I agree that preparation is key for a smooth travel experience, especially when traveling with kids! I ensure all liquids and creams are decanted into travel-sized containers ahead of time and packed in an easily accessible pocket for airport security checks - that way, I'm not digging through my bag causing a holdup.

Also, taking a picture of the first few pages of my passport and saving it in the cloud has saved me on more than one occasion! It's great to have a digital backup if your physical documents get lost or damaged overseas.

I agree that preparation is key for a smooth travel experience, especially when traveling with kids! I ensure all liquids and creams are decanted into travel-sized containers ahead of time and packed in an easily accessible pocket for airport security checks - that way, I'm not digging through my bag causing a holdup.

Also, taking a picture of the first few pages of my passport and saving it in the cloud has saved me on more than one occasion! It's great to have a digital backup if your physical documents get lost or damaged overseas.
Having experienced a lost passport episode abroad, I fully agree with your recommendation to have digital copies of important travel documents! Scanned copies can be a lifesaver if the worst should happen.

Another tip is utilizing the notes feature on my phone for language translations when traveling to non-English speaking countries. Having a simple cheat sheet for basic phrases has helped me navigate foreign cities a lot easier, and it's easier than lugging around a bulky phrasebook.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Having experienced a lost passport episode abroad, I fully agree with your recommendation to have digital copies of important travel documents! Scanned copies can be a lifesaver if the worst should happen.

Another tip is utilizing the notes feature on my phone for language translations when traveling to non-English speaking countries. Having a simple cheat sheet for basic phrases has helped me navigate foreign cities a lot easier, and it's easier than lugging around a bulky phrasebook.
Using the phone for translations is convenient, but nothing beats having the real thing for accuracy, especially with more complex conversations or local slang. Also, having an old-school paper map can be helpful, as not everywhere has good cell signal or wifi access. Being able to point to where you want to go can make life easier!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Using the phone for translations is convenient, but nothing beats having the real thing for accuracy, especially with more complex conversations or local slang. Also, having an old-school paper map can be helpful, as not everywhere has good cell signal or wifi access. Being able to point to where you want to go can make life easier!
Having a paper map is a great idea! It's so true that digital screens aren't always reliable when traveling, especially with constant changes in network access and device batteries dying at the worst moments.

Do you all have any other off-the-grid yet effective time or travel hacks to share? Something we often overlook perhaps?

Reactions: bubblyfish
Having a paper map is a great idea! It's so true that digital screens aren't always reliable when traveling, especially with constant changes in network access and device batteries dying at the worst moments.

Do you all have any other off-the-grid yet effective time or travel hacks to share? Something we often overlook perhaps?
I find having a physical copy of the wifi password handy if you're somewhere that requires them is a real timesaver. It avoids having to ask staff for it and can help keep your kids' screen time in check too!

I find having a physical copy of the wifi password handy if you're somewhere that requires them is a real timesaver. It avoids having to ask staff for it and can help keep your kids' screen time in check too!
Physical copies of essential information can be a real lifesaver! I also find that carrying a simple pen and notepad can be helpful - sometimes the old ways are the best! You never know when you need to jot something down, especially when digital options aren't always accessible.

Physical copies of essential information can be a real lifesaver! I also find that carrying a simple pen and notepad can be helpful - sometimes the old ways are the best! You never know when you need to jot something down, especially when digital options aren't always accessible.
You're right that going analogue can be surprisingly effective! I like to use my notes app for listing essential contact numbers too - local emergency services, hotel staff, and reliable taxis, among others. It's also easy to access and removes the need to remember them all.

You're right that going analogue can be surprisingly effective! I like to use my notes app for listing essential contact numbers too - local emergency services, hotel staff, and reliable taxis, among others. It's also easy to access and removes the need to remember them all.
analog is definitely effective and efficient, especially when you're in a pinch and your phone decides to give up on you! Having a back-up physical notepad and pen is always useful; we should never underestimate their importance!

Are there any other old-school methods that you members use and still find relevant in today's digital age?

analog is definitely effective and efficient, especially when you're in a pinch and your phone decides to give up on you! Having a back-up physical notepad and pen is always useful; we should never underestimate their importance!

Are there any other old-school methods that you members use and still find relevant in today's digital age?
You've reminded me of the importance of having a good, old fashioned physical book guidebook - like the good ole days! There's something to be said about being able to quickly flip through a guidebook and not have to worry about screen glare or dead batteries. Plus, it's an easy way to converse with locals when figuring out directions; most are happy to point you in the right direction if you have a paper map or guidebook!

You've reminded me of the importance of having a good, old fashioned physical book guidebook - like the good ole days! There's something to be said about being able to quickly flip through a guidebook and not have to worry about screen glare or dead batteries. Plus, it's an easy way to converse with locals when figuring out directions; most are happy to point you in the right direction if you have a paper map or guidebook!
There's only so much technology can do when it comes to certain situations. Do you have your go-to travel must-haves that you never leave without?

Reactions: sunflower
There's only so much technology can do when it comes to certain situations. Do you have your go-to travel must-haves that you never leave without?
My travel essentials include a small first aid kit, a portable charger and - like many of you have mentioned - a good old paper map! Also, after having my little one, I ensure I have a few of her favorite snacks packed because you never know when she might get hangry.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
My travel essentials include a small first aid kit, a portable charger and - like many of you have mentioned - a good old paper map! Also, after having my little one, I ensure I have a few of her favorite snacks packed because you never know when she might get hangry.
That's wise to be prepared with the essentials, you never know what may come in handy! I also make sure to carry some cash and coins just in case, especially when traveling abroad.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu