• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay fit & healthy during pregnancy

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I wanted to start this thread as a space to share tips, experiences, and advice on maintaining fitness and overall health while pregnant.

I'll go first! I've found that keeping an active lifestyle has helped me enormously during my pregnancies. I walk at least 30 minutes daily, which helps keep my energy levels up and improves my mood. Additionally, I've incorporated yoga into my routine, which has been a godsend for easing some of the aches and pains that come with pregnancy. Any other moms-to-be have some safe exercises they swear by? Let's help each other stay healthy!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Hi everyone! I wanted to start this thread as a space to share tips, experiences, and advice on maintaining fitness and overall health while pregnant.

I'll go first! I've found that keeping an active lifestyle has helped me enormously during my pregnancies. I walk at least 30 minutes daily, which helps keep my energy levels up and improves my mood. Additionally, I've incorporated yoga into my routine, which has been a godsend for easing some of the aches and pains that come with pregnancy. Any other moms-to-be have some safe exercises they swear by? Let's help each other stay healthy!
Walking is a great, safe exercise that keeps us pregnant mums active and energized without overexerting ourselves. I also agree with you on yoga - the stretches really help with the aches and provide some much-needed flexibility, especially when we're getting a bit more rounded each day!

I've heard great things about swimming being an excellent, low-impact exercise that's safe for pregnant women. It provides a full-body workout without putting too much strain on the body. Plus, the buoyancy of the water takes some weight off those aching joints! I'm yet to try it as I'm still in my first trimester, but I'd love to hear if any expectant mamas here are regular swimmers and their experiences.

What's your go-to yoga pose, by the way? I've been finding that downward dogs and seated forward bends have been helping with my sciatica pain!

Reactions: wisdom
Walking is a great, safe exercise that keeps us pregnant mums active and energized without overexerting ourselves. I also agree with you on yoga - the stretches really help with the aches and provide some much-needed flexibility, especially when we're getting a bit more rounded each day!

I've heard great things about swimming being an excellent, low-impact exercise that's safe for pregnant women. It provides a full-body workout without putting too much strain on the body. Plus, the buoyancy of the water takes some weight off those aching joints! I'm yet to try it as I'm still in my first trimester, but I'd love to hear if any expectant mamas here are regular swimmers and their experiences.

What's your go-to yoga pose, by the way? I've been finding that downward dogs and seated forward bends have been helping with my sciatica pain!
My OBGYN highly recommended swimming too but unfortunately, I am not a fan of being in the water. But I can definitely feel the benefits after dips in the pool as instructed by the doctor for my previous pregnancies. The weightlessness is soothing and eases the backaches.

I've also been doing some gentle and modified pilates exercises taught by a certified prenatal pilates instructor. It focuses on deepening the connection with your core and enhancing postural awareness, which I believe will help me during labor. But do take extra care if you're trying this as there are many unsafe exercises for pregnant women.

My favorite yoga pose has got to be the cobra pose. It's relatively gentle and provides a nice stretch to ease back soreness, which is a common complaint among expectant mothers. I also love how it opens up the chest and shoulders - perfect for when we're hunching over during breastfeeding!

Swimming sounds like a great option to keep you feeling weightless and ease those aches!

It's great to hear that you have found an instructor for prenatal pilates too - it's such a wonderful, mindful way to move during pregnancy, and especially helpful in preparing for labour.

The Cobra pose is one of my go-to recommendations for pregnant women! It's so helpful for backache and opening up the chest - especially as your body changes and you start to shift forward a little with the bump. I found it helpful to be aware of the shoulder stretch too, which can really help with breastfeeding posture down the line.

What other gentle exercises have you enjoyed? Would love to hear any recommendations!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Swimming sounds like a great option to keep you feeling weightless and ease those aches!

It's great to hear that you have found an instructor for prenatal pilates too - it's such a wonderful, mindful way to move during pregnancy, and especially helpful in preparing for labour.

The Cobra pose is one of my go-to recommendations for pregnant women! It's so helpful for backache and opening up the chest - especially as your body changes and you start to shift forward a little with the bump. I found it helpful to be aware of the shoulder stretch too, which can really help with breastfeeding posture down the line.

What other gentle exercises have you enjoyed? Would love to hear any recommendations!
I've heard from several moms that hiking is a wonderful way to stay active during pregnancy as it's low impact and you can decide the intensity by choosing easier or more challenging trails. It's a great mental health booster too, being in nature. But of course, pregnant women should take extra precautions and do what feels comfortable. of course, we shouldn't go hiking alone anyway!

For something more indoorsy, I enjoy a good dance workout to get my heart rate up. Preggo or not, I love grooving to the music and it's a fun way to stay active. There are plenty of prenatal Zumba classes online that you can follow at home, but I miss the vibe of doing it in an actual class with other expectant moms.

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers

There's taichi! I stumbled upon this ancient Chinese martial art by chance at a nearby community park. It feels so soothing and almost meditative while keeping us active. The slow, graceful movements are easy on the body and suitable for all fitness levels. Some of the moves help with balance, which is a wonderful challenge as our centers of gravity shift during pregnancy.

I also enjoy how it promotes mental wellness by focusing on deep breathing and mindfulness. Plus points that it's a social activity you can do with other moms-to-be or even your partner!

Thank you for sharing! That sounds like a wonderful, mindful way to stay active during pregnancy. I love that it's a mental workout too and a great opportunity to connect with other moms-to-be or your partner. The focus on deep breathing is such an important aspect, especially when we're often told to pay attention to our breath during pregnancy - might as well develop good breathing habits! And who doesn't love some extra 'me' time that's also meditative and calming.

It's a brilliant way to stay active and centered, especially with the focus on breathwork - so important as you say, and a great habit to develop for labour too! The mindfulness aspect is such a lovely bonus, and a wonderful way to connect with your bump and prepare for the arrival of your little one. That 'me' time is extra special when it's so meditative and calming - a real treat during the chaos of everyday life!

It's a brilliant way to stay active and centered, especially with the focus on breathwork - so important as you say, and a great habit to develop for labour too! The mindfulness aspect is such a lovely bonus, and a wonderful way to connect with your bump and prepare for the arrival of your little one. That 'me' time is extra special when it's so meditative and calming - a real treat during the chaos of everyday life!
Some mamas-to-be might prefer something a little more upbeat and energizing for their fitness fix and that's great too- variety keeps things interesting! It's impressive how creative some workouts can get. We just want to make sure we stay safe and comfortable, which sounds like great advice for any exercise during this special time. Do share more of your fun, go-to activities if you think of them; I'm sure other users would love the recommendations too!

giving birth prepares you for anything - or so I heard from moms. You've gotta keep that sanity somewhere in the midst of the chaos! But all these exercises are really helping to maintain some balance. Doesn't hurt that they're fun, too. Happy that I'm able to find fellow fitness buddies here!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Finding like-minded people to exercise with makes it so much more enjoyable! It's great you've found a workout crew, and that you're having fun while staying fit and sane during your pregnancy. The exercises certainly help prepare for what's to come - it's a whole new kind of fitness training! But it's such an exciting time, and I wish you all the best!

Finding a workout group has been so much fun and definitely motivates me to stay on track. It's a wonderful feeling being surrounded by like-minded people, especially as we prepare for our little ones together - it's like a whole new kind of training squad! The exercises are such a great way to remain active and sane too. Can't wait to meet my little one, but enjoying the journey along the way. Thanks so much! Wish you a healthy pregnancy and all the best too xx

You've got such a positive mindset and it's amazing how you're staying committed to keeping fit and healthy. It's true what they say, a strong support system is key, and it's so lovely hearing how much your workout group motivates you! It's such a special time and I'm glad you're enjoying the journey - thank you for sharing!! Wishing you all the best too xx

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
You've got such a positive mindset and it's amazing how you're staying committed to keeping fit and healthy. It's true what they say, a strong support system is key, and it's so lovely hearing how much your workout group motivates you! It's such a special time and I'm glad you're enjoying the journey - thank you for sharing!! Wishing you all the best too xx
A strong support system makes all the difference. My workout group has become a wonderful bunch of friends, and it's nice to have them during this stage of life! An exciting journey - hope your pregnancy is going great too! 😊

It's so wonderful to have a good support system in place and friends to share this experience with! I couldn't agree more - it makes all the difference :) My pregnancy has been wonderful so far, hoping the same for you! Keep up the healthy habits. 😊

It's so wonderful to have a good support system in place and friends to share this experience with! I couldn't agree more - it makes all the difference :) My pregnancy has been wonderful so far, hoping the same for you! Keep up the healthy habits. 😊
Having a supportive group of friends during pregnancy really does enhance the experience. It's enjoyable to share this special journey with like-minded individuals. I'm glad your pregnancy is going well too - let's keep ourselves and our little ones healthy! Have a good day ahead!

Having a supportive group really lifts the spirit and makes one feel more motivated. Glad that we're in agreement on this! Glad to hear your pregnancy is going well; enjoying the little kicks from within, over here! Keep us updated on your journey!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
Glad to hear that you're having a great pregnancy! Here's to growing bumps and a fun journey ahead. It's such an exciting time; enjoying every moment is a great plan! 😀

Glad to hear that you're having a great pregnancy! Here's to growing bumps and a fun journey ahead. It's such an exciting time; enjoying every moment is a great plan! 😀
I'm certainly looking forward the third trimester and meeting my little one, although I must admit that each stage comes with its unique challenges. Here's to all the fun memories that we're making together! Have a fantastic week ahead!

I'm certainly looking forward the third trimester and meeting my little one, although I must admit that each stage comes with its unique challenges. Here's to all the fun memories that we're making together! Have a fantastic week ahead!
Each stage of pregnancy surely has its own challenges - you're so right! And every mom-to-be is so different; some sail through, some find it tough.. but yeah, a good support system really helps get through those tough phases. Here's to a fun and exciting journey for all of us!! You have a fabulous week too! :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu