• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting Stories & Support

I live in a HDB flat with limited space, so I don't have the luxury of a personal vegetable garden. But I do bring Mia, my 4-year old daughter, to the nearby community garden at Changi Village every weekend. We get our hands dirty pulling weeds and harvesting the fruits of our previous labor. She gets excited over our little victories, especially when she sees the fruits (or vegetables) of our efforts.

There is (oops! :p) a sense of pride and accomplishment that comes from cultivating and cooking our own food. It also helps Mia appreciate nature and understand the concept of sustainable living. Last month, we even held a little "harvest party" for her friends, cooking pizzas topped with homegrown veggies and fruits. The proud looks on their faces as they showed off their pizza-making skills to their parents were precious!

Do you have any other fun activities up your sleeve for mini home chefs? I'd love to hear about them!
It's a great idea to expose young children to gardening and cooking at an early age! It's amazing how you're incorporating sustainable living concepts into fun activities that Mia can understand and enjoy.

A fun activity which we used to do when my son was around Mia's age was to create our own herb garden. We used old yogurt containers, painted them nicely and planted easy-to-grow herbs like mint, coriander, and parsley. We placed them in a sunny spot and made sure to water them regularly. Besides getting dirty and enjoying the plants' fresh scent, we also learned about different herbs' appearances and smells. You could also involve Mia by letting her pick out colorful pots or containers and let her decorate them herself!

Another activity which my child enjoyed was making fruit kebabs. He would thread fresh fruits onto a skewer (with supervision, of course!), making a colorful rainbow kebab. We would then freeze the kebabs and eat them as a tasty, healthy dessert. It's not only fun but also encourages kids to eat a variety of fruits.

I'm sure Mia and her friends would enjoy these activities too! These experiences create lots of wonderful memories and also sneak in some learning about nature and food appreciation. :)

It's a great idea to expose young children to gardening and cooking at an early age! It's amazing how you're incorporating sustainable living concepts into fun activities that Mia can understand and enjoy.

A fun activity which we used to do when my son was around Mia's age was to create our own herb garden. We used old yogurt containers, painted them nicely and planted easy-to-grow herbs like mint, coriander, and parsley. We placed them in a sunny spot and made sure to water them regularly. Besides getting dirty and enjoying the plants' fresh scent, we also learned about different herbs' appearances and smells. You could also involve Mia by letting her pick out colorful pots or containers and let her decorate them herself!

Another activity which my child enjoyed was making fruit kebabs. He would thread fresh fruits onto a skewer (with supervision, of course!), making a colorful rainbow kebab. We would then freeze the kebabs and eat them as a tasty, healthy dessert. It's not only fun but also encourages kids to eat a variety of fruits.

I'm sure Mia and her friends would enjoy these activities too! These experiences create lots of wonderful memories and also sneak in some learning about nature and food appreciation. :)
The herb garden activity is a great way to stimulate a child's senses and expose them to the wonders of nature. I love how you involve Mia in the entire process, from picking out the pots to decorating them. It's amazing how kids learn about different scents and textures through these hands-on experiences.

Fruit kebabs are a brilliant idea for encouraging children to be more adventurous with fruits. The activity is fun, messes aside, and a great way to spend quality time together while creating tasty treats!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
These hands-on activities are such a great way to engage kids and expose them to new experiences - it's awesome to hear how much Mia is getting out of your gardening activity days, learning about textures, scents and of course being able to appreciate the end result!

The fruit kebabs are such a fun idea for a tasty treat too - it's amazing what kids will try when food is presented in a fun, engaging way. All the mess is so worth it!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
These hands-on activities are such a great way to engage kids and expose them to new experiences - it's awesome to hear how much Mia is getting out of your gardening activity days, learning about textures, scents and of course being able to appreciate the end result!

The fruit kebabs are such a fun idea for a tasty treat too - it's amazing what kids will try when food is presented in a fun, engaging way. All the mess is so worth it!
Yeah, I find that keeping things exciting and hands-on keeps my kids interested and engaged. It's also a way to get them to try new things, as you said - the presentation makes all the difference! It's amazing how their faces light up when they see something as simple as fruit on a stick. Makes all the prep work worth it.

Mess is definitely a given with kids around, but that's half the fun for them, and as long as it's contained, I can manage. :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu