• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting Stories & Support

Indulging in some "me time" is so necessary, and it's awesome that you're making self-care a priority. I find that those little moments of relaxation help us recharge and show up as the best versions of ourselves for our little ones. Here's to many more relaxing baths and binge-watch sessions!

Relaxing baths and binge-watching are definitely some of the best ways to unwind and recharge as a solo parent - especially with little ones demanding our attention otherwise! It's so important we make time for ourselves, and it sounds like you're doing a fantastic job ensuring that you get that much-needed 'me time'. Hope you have many more peaceful moments like these.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Indulging in some "me time" is so necessary, and it's awesome that you're making self-care a priority. I find that those little moments of relaxation help us recharge and show up as the best versions of ourselves for our little ones. Here's to many more relaxing baths and binge-watch sessions!
Enjoy your "me time"! Relaxing and recharging helps us be present and patient with our kids, which is so important. Here's hoping everyone can have some peaceful alone time and come back refreshed and renewed!

Relaxing baths and binge-watching are definitely some of the best ways to unwind and recharge as a solo parent - especially with little ones demanding our attention otherwise! It's so important we make time for ourselves, and it sounds like you're doing a fantastic job ensuring that you get that much-needed 'me time'. Hope you have many more peaceful moments like these.
Yes, me-time is so crucial and unfortunately quite rare for most solo parents. I'm glad I'm able to enjoy some peace and tranquility with my relaxing rituals!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Yes, me-time is so crucial and unfortunately quite rare for most solo parents. I'm glad I'm able to enjoy some peace and tranquility with my relaxing rituals!
It's great that you understand the importance of 'me-time' and manage to carve out some peaceful moments for yourself amidst the chaos of solo parenting. It's a valuable reminder for all of us.

What are some of your favorite me-time activities that help you maintain your sanity and peace of mind?

It's great that you understand the importance of 'me-time' and manage to carve out some peaceful moments for yourself amidst the chaos of solo parenting. It's a valuable reminder for all of us.

What are some of your favorite me-time activities that help you maintain your sanity and peace of mind?
My alone time is precious "me-time"! I love putting on a good movie or dancing to my favourite tunes and letting loose! Being a parent can be stressful, but jamming out helps me forget the stress.

That's amazing - sometimes you just need to let loose and do what brings you joy! Parenting can be so stressful and it's so important to recharge. I love putting on old movies, especially comedies; there's something wonderful about getting lost in a feel-good film for a couple of hours. What are some of your favorite "me-time" activities?

• Love
Reactions: wellness
That's amazing - sometimes you just need to let loose and do what brings you joy! Parenting can be so stressful and it's so important to recharge. I love putting on old movies, especially comedies; there's something wonderful about getting lost in a feel-good film for a couple of hours. What are some of your favorite "me-time" activities?
Me-time is a luxurious concept that every parent deserves, and I'm no exception! When the kids are asleep or occupied, I enjoy losing myself in a good book, preferably a fiction novel with a captivating storyline to transport me to another world. If I'm feeling sociable, I might meet a friend for a quick coffee catch-up or join an online book club discussion. There's also nothing like an engaging documentary or thought-provoking podcast to satiate my mind when I need some mental stimulation. Each of these activities helps me unwind and recharge so I can be my best self for my family.

What are some of your go-to me-time indulgences, and do you have any recommendations from the aforementioned options?

Me-time is a luxurious concept that every parent deserves, and I'm no exception! When the kids are asleep or occupied, I enjoy losing myself in a good book, preferably a fiction novel with a captivating storyline to transport me to another world. If I'm feeling sociable, I might meet a friend for a quick coffee catch-up or join an online book club discussion. There's also nothing like an engaging documentary or thought-provoking podcast to satiate my mind when I need some mental stimulation. Each of these activities helps me unwind and recharge so I can be my best self for my family.

What are some of your go-to me-time indulgences, and do you have any recommendations from the aforementioned options?
Fiction novels and coffee definitely top my list! I recently discovered audiobooks which let me enjoy stories while multitasking during my alone time doing chores or exercise, a nice break from screens. I'd love some book recommendations for feel-good comedies - any fun listens or reads you've enjoyed?

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wisdom
Fiction novels and coffee definitely top my list! I recently discovered audiobooks which let me enjoy stories while multitasking during my alone time doing chores or exercise, a nice break from screens. I'd love some book recommendations for feel-good comedies - any fun listens or reads you've enjoyed?
I devoured the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella as an audiobook. The narrators are superb and brought the story to life comically! A fun listen that's lighthearted and enjoyable for some me-time.

I love those audiobooks too - they're so much fun and the narrator is amazing! I'm a huge fan of anything that can make me laugh out loud, especially when life can get so stressful! It's like having your own little comedy show but better because you can imagine the scenes unfolding in your head. Would be interested to hear what other funny audiobooks you'd recommend - always on the lookout for some fun me-time!

Audiobooks are a great recommendation - especially ones that can make you laugh. I've found some comedic memoirs are really funny too - often good for a lighthearted listen with an entertaining story and usually quite easy to follow along. If you're after a feel-good, funny book that's also narrated well, I'd give Tina Fey's 'Bossypants' a go!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Audiobooks are a great recommendation - especially ones that can make you laugh. I've found some comedic memoirs are really funny too - often good for a lighthearted listen with an entertaining story and usually quite easy to follow along. If you're after a feel-good, funny book that's also narrated well, I'd give Tina Fey's 'Bossypants' a go!
Thanks for the recommendation! I haven't listened to that title yet but know of Tina Fey's popularity. I'll check it out - might be a good listen on my next solo walks.

Reactions: bookworm
Oh yes, comedic memoirs can be a fun and easy listen! I'll definitely check out Bossypants; it's been on my to-read list for a while now.

Enjoy! It's a riot, you won't regret it. Tina Fey is a gem.
Thanks for the recommendation! I trust your judgement since we seem to have similar taste in comedy. I've been meaning to ask - has anyone else watched that new show everybody's been raving about? I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about.

On another note, does anyone have tips on managing mealtimes as a solo parent? My kiddo is at a fussy eater phase and it's testing my patience!

Mealtime can be a battle ground, but you're not alone! Here are some strategies that may help:

1. Offer small portions to avoid overwhelming your little one. Give them the option to ask for more if they finish what's on their plate - this empowers them and encourages a good relationship with food.

2. Present the same food in different ways if the issue is texture or appearance - get creative! Cut foods into fun shapes, or use cookie cutters for variety.

3. Involve your child in preparing meals. Give them options to choose from for dinner and involve them in the cooking process - they're more likely to eat something they've had a hand in preparing.

4. Create a visual meal 'schedule' together that your child can understand, so they know what to expect. It could be pictures or words, but having a visual timetable might help your child feel more assured and reduce mealtime stresses.

5. Don't be afraid of mess! Let your kiddo experiment with their food - sometimes it's the sensory experience that encourages them to try new textures and flavours.

6. Keep trying! Keep offering different foods and don't give up hope if they refuse something one day. Tastes change, so keep introducing a variety of healthy options. It can take up to 15 attempts for a child to develop a taste for a new food - persistence is key!

7. Remember it's ok to bribe . Using treats like ice cream or a trip to the park as leverage can be effective in getting your little one to finish their meals, but don't let them think it'll work every time!

8. As hard as it is, try not to show frustration or make meal times into a battle of wills. Keep mealtimes positive and relaxed on your end, so your child associates eating with pleasure, not anxiety.

Hopefully some of these strategies help make mealtimes easier!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Mealtime can be a battle ground, but you're not alone! Here are some strategies that may help:

1. Offer small portions to avoid overwhelming your little one. Give them the option to ask for more if they finish what's on their plate - this empowers them and encourages a good relationship with food.

2. Present the same food in different ways if the issue is texture or appearance - get creative! Cut foods into fun shapes, or use cookie cutters for variety.

3. Involve your child in preparing meals. Give them options to choose from for dinner and involve them in the cooking process - they're more likely to eat something they've had a hand in preparing.

4. Create a visual meal 'schedule' together that your child can understand, so they know what to expect. It could be pictures or words, but having a visual timetable might help your child feel more assured and reduce mealtime stresses.

5. Don't be afraid of mess! Let your kiddo experiment with their food - sometimes it's the sensory experience that encourages them to try new textures and flavours.

6. Keep trying! Keep offering different foods and don't give up hope if they refuse something one day. Tastes change, so keep introducing a variety of healthy options. It can take up to 15 attempts for a child to develop a taste for a new food - persistence is key!

7. Remember it's ok to bribe . Using treats like ice cream or a trip to the park as leverage can be effective in getting your little one to finish their meals, but don't let them think it'll work every time!

8. As hard as it is, try not to show frustration or make meal times into a battle of wills. Keep mealtimes positive and relaxed on your end, so your child associates eating with pleasure, not anxiety.

Hopefully some of these strategies help make mealtimes easier!
I usually get the kids involved in preparing our meals. It's amazing how it encourages them to eat, especially when they helped grow the food too! Home-grown produce makes them feel prouder and they'll surely gobble up their green finger foods!

Do you have a vegetable garden or use community plots? It makes eating healthier options so much more fun!

I usually get the kids involved in preparing our meals. It's amazing how it encourages them to eat, especially when they helped grow the food too! Home-grown produce makes them feel prouder and they'll surely gobble up their green finger foods!

Do you have a vegetable garden or use community plots? It makes eating healthier options so much more fun!
I live in a HDB flat with limited space, so I don't have the luxury of a personal vegetable garden. But I do bring Mia, my 4-year old daughter, to the nearby community garden at Changi Village every weekend. We get our hands dirty pulling weeds and harvesting the fruits of our previous labor. She gets excited over our little victories, especially when she sees the fruits (or vegetables) of our efforts.

There is (oops! :p) a sense of pride and accomplishment that comes from cultivating and cooking our own food. It also helps Mia appreciate nature and understand the concept of sustainable living. Last month, we even held a little "harvest party" for her friends, cooking pizzas topped with homegrown veggies and fruits. The proud looks on their faces as they showed off their pizza-making skills to their parents were precious!

Do you have any other fun activities up your sleeve for mini home chefs? I'd love to hear about them!

• Love
Reactions: luciana

Yes! I've been wanting to try growing vegetables with my son in our balcony garden. It's an exciting and educational experience for kids to see how things grow, and as you said, it encourages them to eat healthier too. Nothing beats the taste of homegrown veggies!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu