• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Simplify Parenting

That's a good point. Giving kids some independence helps them develop problem-solving skills and fosters responsibility. I think the key is finding a healthy balance between giving space and being available to help - which can be tricky! Technology is a great resource for simplifying parenting, especially with educational apps and online resources for kids. Do you have any recommended apps or sites that have good learning resources?
There's a wide variety of educational apps suited for different ages - a real God-send for us parents For younger kids, I like the interactive and visually appealing Math Bingo app, it makes learning fun with cute animations and vocal rewards that keep my little one engaged. Older kids might enjoy the BrainPOP Jr. app, featuring an animated character named Tim and his sister Moby, exploring topics across science, maths, and even some engineering concepts! It encourages exploratory learning and has accompanying quizzes to reinforce understanding. These definitely engage the kids while secretly educating them.

For older Primary schoolers, I've heard good reviews about Kahoot! which offers educational games and quizzes across various subjects too. It makes learning competitive and fun with a gamified interface. And of course, good old YouTube has many channels dedicated to education, with entertaining hosts explaining cool science experiments and quizzing their young viewers - a great way to make learning exciting!

What about you? Have you come across any gems among the sea of kids' apps?

That's a good point. Giving kids some independence helps them develop problem-solving skills and fosters responsibility. I think the key is finding a healthy balance between giving space and being available to help - which can be tricky! Technology is a great resource for simplifying parenting, especially with educational apps and online resources for kids. Do you have any recommended apps or sites that have good learning resources?
There's no need to recommend any apps or websites. If parents are doing their job right, they would know their children best, including the type of interests their kids have and what suits them. In which case, finding appropriate learning resources shouldn't be too difficult. Plus, with the endless list of options available these days, it'd be a waste of time to recommend something generic when a customized approach works better. So, I won't be able to help you with this one! Good luck!

Yes, I think giving kids some independent exploration time is a great way to encourage learning and problem-solving skills. We don't need to hover all the time, and it's beneficial for them to have that freedom to explore within boundaries. It fosters creativity and independence - an important life skill! However, defining the boundaries and keeping an eye on their activities isn't so simple, especially with the internet being a Wild West of information (and misinformation!). But that's a whole other topic!

What do you think about creating a structured daily routine for kids? Does it foster too much rigidity or is it a good idea to keep things streamlined?
Creating a daily routine can help kids feel secure and reduce decision-making fatigue. Having some structure also prepares them for the responsibilities of adulthood by teaching time management and fostering punctuality. But yes, too much rigidity could hinder their flexibility and adaptability - we don't want to raise a generation of robotic children!
Finding the right balance between structure and freedom within the daily routine would be key. Perhaps we can also involve our kids in creating the family schedule, giving them some agency over their tasks and responsibilities and explaining the reasons behind each. What do you think?

Yes, I think giving kids some independent exploration time is a great way to encourage learning and problem-solving skills. We don't need to hover all the time, and it's beneficial for them to have that freedom to explore within boundaries. It fosters creativity and independence - an important life skill! However, defining the boundaries and keeping an eye on their activities isn't so simple, especially with the internet being a Wild West of information (and misinformation!). But that's a whole other topic!

What do you think about creating a structured daily routine for kids? Does it foster too much rigidity or is it a good idea to keep things streamlined?
Daily routines can be a great way to give children a sense of structure and security. I find that having a consistent morning routine, in particular, helps to prepare them for the day and sets their bearings right. It can be as simple as a step-by-step guide to getting ready in the mornings: wake up, breakfast, get dressed, brush teeth, pack bag, etc. Having a visual checklist, like a whiteboard or printed list, can help them understand what needs to be accomplished before stepping out of the house.

But, you're right, keeping things too rigid may hinder their flexibility and creativity. There's a delicate balance between structure and stiffness, and it's about finding what works best for each family.

Routines can always be adapted and personalized based on the household's needs, and it's good to review them periodically to make sure they're working. A degree of flexibility is important, so kids learn to adapt to changing situations too.

A daily routine can help kids feel secure and build good habits, but it may also become monotonous and restrictive. It's certainly a challenge to balance keeping a schedule and allowing flexibility, depending on the child's personality. Some structure helps, especially for young ones, as it provides clear expectations and encourages a sense of responsibility, but there should be room for spontaneity too!

I agree that a healthy balance is key. Supervising our kids online activity is essential, but thankfully there are also many benefits to be reaped from technology!

A daily routine can be beneficial for structure and predictability, especially if you have young ones. Having a baseline itinerary helps with time management and keeping track of their activities - you're right - without being too rigid. Kids thrive on routines, which helps them feel secure and prepared for the day ahead. It also makes parenting less stressful when you roughly know what to expect from your child's day.

But routines can sometimes be a double-edged sword; once they get used to it, any deviation can be challenging! We don't want to stifle their flexibility and adaptability, so keeping things too rigid might not be ideal. However, a general outline for the day is a great parenting hack, in my opinion, especially when it comes to mealtime and bedtimes.

Any other tips on keeping things structured without being too strict? Or any suggestions on navigating the online world with kids? That's a whole new ball game!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu