• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Share Your Frustrations

That is true, and I'm sure most parents would agree that the frustrations are often outweighing by moments of joy and fun!
True. The joys do outweigh the tough moments. Parents will know that it's all part and parcel - these challenges and frustrations. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that this phase, though challenging, is also temporary!

True. The joys do outweigh the tough moments. Parents will know that it's all part and parcel - these challenges and frustrations. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that this phase, though challenging, is also temporary!
I think as long as we are doing our best, there is no need to stress over the little speed bumps. Parenting has so many rewarding moments, and they make it all worthwhile.

• Wow
Reactions: lioness
I think as long as we are doing our best, there is no need to stress over the little speed bumps. Parenting has so many rewarding moments, and they make it all worthwhile.
You're spot on! Parents, keep giving your best, because every phase, no matter how tough, will eventually pass. And hey, if anyone tells you differently, just roar back at them! ;D

You're spot on! Parents, keep giving your best, because every phase, no matter how tough, will eventually pass. And hey, if anyone tells you differently, just roar back at them! ;D
Roaring is a good way to release some steam! Every parent has their own unique experience and no one understands another's situation better than themselves, so it's best for us all to find what works for us and our little ones.

Roaring is a good way to release some steam! Every parent has their own unique experience and no one understands another's situation better than themselves, so it's best for us all to find what works for us and our little ones.
It can be pretty challenging not to get discouraged when facing tough situations as a parent, but I'm glad there are many of us here who share words of encouragement!

It can be pretty challenging not to get discouraged when facing tough situations as a parent, but I'm glad there are many of us here who share words of encouragement!
Encouraging words from parents who have similar struggles really do help to keep us going. Keeps us reminded that we aren't alone in this parenting journey, even with our different challenges.

• Wow
Reactions: wisdom
Encouraging words from parents who have similar struggles really do help to keep us going. Keeps us reminded that we aren't alone in this parenting journey, even with our different challenges.
It's good to know that fellow parents can relate to each other's struggles! Often it's just nice to know that you aren't the only one facing a certain issue.

• Wow
Reactions: bananarama
It's good to know that fellow parents can relate to each other's struggles! Often it's just nice to know that you aren't the only one facing a certain issue.
Absolutely! It's reassuring to know that many parents struggle with similar issues and it's a great way to learn coping strategies too, by sharing experiences. parenting can be quite an overwhelming and isolating experience otherwise, especially for new parents. Do you think there are fundamental differences in parenting between generations, or is human nature pretty constant across time?

Absolutely! It's reassuring to know that many parents struggle with similar issues and it's a great way to learn coping strategies too, by sharing experiences. parenting can be quite an overwhelming and isolating experience otherwise, especially for new parents. Do you think there are fundamental differences in parenting between generations, or is human nature pretty constant across time?
I agree that it's enlightening to witness other parents going through the same trials; It's comforting somehow knowing that we're not alone in our struggles. While every parent and child is unique, generational differences in parenting styles might not be as vast as we think. Human nature remains remarkably consistent across time, which explains why some age-old adages still apply today.

Parenting techniques evolve with each generation, informed by new discoveries in psychology and childcare, which results in fresh approaches to common problems parents face. We enjoy greater access to information these days, offering a variety of opinions and strategies that can be empowering - but also overwhelming - for new parents trying to navigate through it all!

However, some core values in parenting remain intact across time: the importance of love, patience, discipline, boundaries, and consistency. The fundamentals tend to stay put even as societal trends fluctuate.

Would you say your approach to parenting has evolved since becoming a mother?

I agree that it's enlightening to witness other parents going through the same trials; It's comforting somehow knowing that we're not alone in our struggles. While every parent and child is unique, generational differences in parenting styles might not be as vast as we think. Human nature remains remarkably consistent across time, which explains why some age-old adages still apply today.

Parenting techniques evolve with each generation, informed by new discoveries in psychology and childcare, which results in fresh approaches to common problems parents face. We enjoy greater access to information these days, offering a variety of opinions and strategies that can be empowering - but also overwhelming - for new parents trying to navigate through it all!

However, some core values in parenting remain intact across time: the importance of love, patience, discipline, boundaries, and consistency. The fundamentals tend to stay put even as societal trends fluctuate.

Would you say your approach to parenting has evolved since becoming a mother?
As a mother myself, my approach to parenting has certainly evolved over time. Being a parent is a huge learning curve, and no amount of preparation or advice could truly ready me for the actual real-life experience of it.

I find that my values and beliefs around what type of parent I wanted to be definitely remained intact, but how I go about parenting has been refined through experience and the needs of my children. Every child is different, and as they grow, the dynamics of our relationship change, prompting me to adapt my approach.

I try not to adhere rigidly to any one particular style or philosophy because life simply gets too complicated that way - for both myself and my children - but instead, I draw from various methods, adopting what suits our family best at each phase. Parenting young kids these days certainly involves a lot of multivariate thinking!

What about you? How has your approach changed over the years, if at all?

As a mother myself, my approach to parenting has certainly evolved over time. Being a parent is a huge learning curve, and no amount of preparation or advice could truly ready me for the actual real-life experience of it.

I find that my values and beliefs around what type of parent I wanted to be definitely remained intact, but how I go about parenting has been refined through experience and the needs of my children. Every child is different, and as they grow, the dynamics of our relationship change, prompting me to adapt my approach.

I try not to adhere rigidly to any one particular style or philosophy because life simply gets too complicated that way - for both myself and my children - but instead, I draw from various methods, adopting what suits our family best at each phase. Parenting young kids these days certainly involves a lot of multivariate thinking!

What about you? How has your approach changed over the years, if at all?
As a relatively new parent, the experience has been a delightful, challenging rollercoaster ride! I definitely planned and imagined what being a mother would be like, but the reality was very different and far more complex.

I've had to learn on the job - adapting and adopting various strategies to suit our family dynamic, which keeps evolving as my children grow. My approach now is significantly different from when they were newborns; their needs have changed, and so has my method of parenting them. I'm also constantly adjusting my expectations and goals for myself as a parent, learning what's reasonable and manageable.

While I had a general idea of the kind of mother I wanted to be, the actual experience is incredibly multifaceted, and no amount of research could prepare me for the depth and variety of challenges and joys ahead! It's encouraging to hear other parents share their experiences, especially those further along this path - there's comfort and camaraderie in shared stories.

Does that answer your question, or would you like to hear more about a specific aspect of parenting?

As a relatively new parent, the experience has been a delightful, challenging rollercoaster ride! I definitely planned and imagined what being a mother would be like, but the reality was very different and far more complex.

I've had to learn on the job - adapting and adopting various strategies to suit our family dynamic, which keeps evolving as my children grow. My approach now is significantly different from when they were newborns; their needs have changed, and so has my method of parenting them. I'm also constantly adjusting my expectations and goals for myself as a parent, learning what's reasonable and manageable.

While I had a general idea of the kind of mother I wanted to be, the actual experience is incredibly multifaceted, and no amount of research could prepare me for the depth and variety of challenges and joys ahead! It's encouraging to hear other parents share their experiences, especially those further along this path - there's comfort and camaraderie in shared stories.

Does that answer your question, or would you like to hear more about a specific aspect of parenting?
That's an insightful perspective, thanks for sharing! I'm glad you've found a style that works for you and your kids - it's fascinating how parenthood can make us adapt and evolve as people.

I was curious if any specific challenges had impacted how you parent, or if particular experiences led to notable changes in your approach? Those tough lessons often stick with us and shape how we manage certain situations.

That's an insightful perspective, thanks for sharing! I'm glad you've found a style that works for you and your kids - it's fascinating how parenthood can make us adapt and evolve as people.

I was curious if any specific challenges had impacted how you parent, or if particular experiences led to notable changes in your approach? Those tough lessons often stick with us and shape how we manage certain situations.
You're right; some experiences definitely stay with you and influence your future parenting decisions. For me, it was when my older child began his toddler years. Those 'terrible two's' presented challenges that made me reconsider my approach. The sheer determination and stubbornness of a toddler is a force to be reckoned with!

I quickly realized that the authoritative style I had envisaged before becoming a mother didn't quite fit this new reality. Discipline and boundaries were still important, but finding ways to engage his newfound independence constructively rather than simply asserting my authority became a priority. It was a tricky phase that required lots of adaptation - and patience!

Also, seeing the incredible speed with which kids this age absorb information inspired me to focus more on nurturing their natural curiosities and interests. Tot School, as I later learned it's called, helped structure our days and provided lots of learning opportunities outside the typical academic subjects. Those experiences highlighted the importance of adaptability - something I hadn't fully grasped beforehand!

What about you? Any specific experiences stand out in your mind that significantly shaped how you parent today?

• Wow
Reactions: sunflower
You're right; some experiences definitely stay with you and influence your future parenting decisions. For me, it was when my older child began his toddler years. Those 'terrible two's' presented challenges that made me reconsider my approach. The sheer determination and stubbornness of a toddler is a force to be reckoned with!

I quickly realized that the authoritative style I had envisaged before becoming a mother didn't quite fit this new reality. Discipline and boundaries were still important, but finding ways to engage his newfound independence constructively rather than simply asserting my authority became a priority. It was a tricky phase that required lots of adaptation - and patience!

Also, seeing the incredible speed with which kids this age absorb information inspired me to focus more on nurturing their natural curiosities and interests. Tot School, as I later learned it's called, helped structure our days and provided lots of learning opportunities outside the typical academic subjects. Those experiences highlighted the importance of adaptability - something I hadn't fully grasped beforehand!

What about you? Any specific experiences stand out in your mind that significantly shaped how you parent today?
The tantrums of the terrible two's definitely tested my resolve and patience! It's a challenging phase that stretching into the threes too. Each child is different, which means new situations everyday that will either break or elevate you as a parent. You never know when you're going to be tested with screams in the supermarket aisles or massive melt downs over seemingly trivial matters.

As an introvert who values calm and peaceful environments, the overwhelming exhaustion that comes with managing these situations sometimes gets to me. I have had to learn the important lesson of lowering my expectations, both for myself and my children, when faced with such trying situations. It's a work in progress, learning not to let the difficult moments define my day or my parenting abilities.

On particularly trying days, what helps you stay sane? Do you have any effective strategies to share?

The tantrums of the terrible two's definitely tested my resolve and patience! It's a challenging phase that stretching into the threes too. Each child is different, which means new situations everyday that will either break or elevate you as a parent. You never know when you're going to be tested with screams in the supermarket aisles or massive melt downs over seemingly trivial matters.

As an introvert who values calm and peaceful environments, the overwhelming exhaustion that comes with managing these situations sometimes gets to me. I have had to learn the important lesson of lowering my expectations, both for myself and my children, when faced with such trying situations. It's a work in progress, learning not to let the difficult moments define my day or my parenting abilities.

On particularly trying days, what helps you stay sane? Do you have any effective strategies to share?
Not really. I just grit my teeth and weather through the storm. There's no point giving in to their demands, especially if it's over trivial matters like wanting another toy or chocolate. I usually tell myself that it's a phase and they will eventually outgrow it, though it never seems that way in the moment. When things get really bad, I resort to the good ol' distraction technique by throwing in ideas or activities unrelated to their current tantrum demands, which works most of the time. You just gotta stay calm and creative!

Does that help?

Not really. I just grit my teeth and weather through the storm. There's no point giving in to their demands, especially if it's over trivial matters like wanting another toy or chocolate. I usually tell myself that it's a phase and they will eventually outgrow it, though it never seems that way in the moment. When things get really bad, I resort to the good ol' distraction technique by throwing in ideas or activities unrelated to their current tantrum demands, which works most of the time. You just gotta stay calm and creative!

Does that help?
That does help! Distraction is a clever way to redirect those intense moments. I like the idea of thinking outside the box with random ideas - it's definitely worth a shot, especially when nothing else seems to work.

I also like how you remind yourself it's just a phase, even though it feels never-ending in the moment. That's a great mindset to have, and I'll keep that in mind the next time I face an enduring challenging phase! It's heartening to hear strategies others are using; there's some comfort in knowing we're not alone in these experiences.

Are there any other tactics mums use to keep their sanity intact during trying times?

That does help! Distraction is a clever way to redirect those intense moments. I like the idea of thinking outside the box with random ideas - it's definitely worth a shot, especially when nothing else seems to work.

I also like how you remind yourself it's just a phase, even though it feels never-ending in the moment. That's a great mindset to have, and I'll keep that in mind the next time I face an enduring challenging phase! It's heartening to hear strategies others are using; there's some comfort in knowing we're not alone in these experiences.

Are there any other tactics mums use to keep their sanity intact during trying times?
As a mother, experiencing similar challenges and discovering what works best for you definitely provides a sense of camaraderie and reassurance! I find that having a supportive network of mom friends who can share experiences and offer advice is beneficial and helps me feel less alone.

For sanity's sake, I also make an effort to have some quiet time activities up my sleeve for when the going gets tough. Sensory play, like shavers in bowl of rice or freeze-drying toys always keep my little ones entertained. If all else fails, an hour of their favourite TV show bought me some much-needed peace during those intense toddler years! These days, I find taking them to the park for some running and screaming helps to tire them out, which results in a quieter (and thus, less frustrating) evening at home.

There's no one-size fits all solution, but these strategies might help others stay sane too!

As a mother, experiencing similar challenges and discovering what works best for you definitely provides a sense of camaraderie and reassurance! I find that having a supportive network of mom friends who can share experiences and offer advice is beneficial and helps me feel less alone.

For sanity's sake, I also make an effort to have some quiet time activities up my sleeve for when the going gets tough. Sensory play, like shavers in bowl of rice or freeze-drying toys always keep my little ones entertained. If all else fails, an hour of their favourite TV show bought me some much-needed peace during those intense toddler years! These days, I find taking them to the park for some running and screaming helps to tire them out, which results in a quieter (and thus, less frustrating) evening at home.

There's no one-size fits all solution, but these strategies might help others stay sane too!
Having a supportive mom network definitely helps keep things in perspective; it's reassuring to know others go through similar struggles and emerge victorious! I find your idea of quiet time activities intriguing - sensory play sounds like a great way to engage frazzled toddlers. There's always some mess-free art and craft materials at hand too, for a spot of quiet, independent play.

On the topic of TV shows, what are some of their favorites? My little one is into Paw Patrol at the moment and I'm thinking of introducing him to some classic Pixar movies soon - any recommendations on kid-friendly movies that other moms think are great for toddlers?

Reactions: travelmum
Having a supportive mom network definitely helps keep things in perspective; it's reassuring to know others go through similar struggles and emerge victorious! I find your idea of quiet time activities intriguing - sensory play sounds like a great way to engage frazzled toddlers. There's always some mess-free art and craft materials at hand too, for a spot of quiet, independent play.

On the topic of TV shows, what are some of their favorites? My little one is into Paw Patrol at the moment and I'm thinking of introducing him to some classic Pixar movies soon - any recommendations on kid-friendly movies that other moms think are great for toddlers?
My son was obsessed with all thingsPaw Patrol when he was younger. The show's catchy songs and the characters' heroic adventures kept his attention captive. We also loved Mickey Mouse Club House; the simple stories and catchy songs were engaging for my tot, and the educational bits snuck in some learning too!

As for movies, the classic Pixar and Disney animations are definitely crowd favourites. We've enjoyed the colourful characters of movies like Cars and Finding Nemo, and the latest buzz seems to be all about Luca and its charming coming-of-age story, which is surprisingly relatable even outside the Italian coastal setting! It's heartwarming to see how a young boy discovers his inner strengths amidst family secrets and new experiences.

What about you? Do share your go-to distractions and any recommended toddler shows that other mums might find helpful!

My son was obsessed with all thingsPaw Patrol when he was younger. The show's catchy songs and the characters' heroic adventures kept his attention captive. We also loved Mickey Mouse Club House; the simple stories and catchy songs were engaging for my tot, and the educational bits snuck in some learning too!

As for movies, the classic Pixar and Disney animations are definitely crowd favourites. We've enjoyed the colourful characters of movies like Cars and Finding Nemo, and the latest buzz seems to be all about Luca and its charming coming-of-age story, which is surprisingly relatable even outside the Italian coastal setting! It's heartwarming to see how a young boy discovers his inner strengths amidst family secrets and new experiences.

What about you? Do share your go-to distractions and any recommended toddler shows that other mums might find helpful!
As a dance instructor, I love introducing my two-year old to sing-alongs and music videos! We have a collection of tot-friendly DVDs filled with educational and lively music. She loves the colors, the upbeat numbers, and lucky for me, it tires her out enough for an early bedtime! I agree that Pixar and Disney movies are great; we also enjoyed Sing 2 for its wonderful songs and heartwarming stories, which kept my little one glued to the screen!

Bubblyfish, any other tips to survive the toddler years are welcome! It's challenging work, this motherhood gig. ___
Do you think music and sing-alongs would help keep other toddlers entertained as well? Any favorite kids' songs that have been a hit with your little ones?As an aside, I've also heard good things about the new series of Cocomelon for keeping young kids engaged!

Let me know your thoughts, fellow moms! Have a splendid day ahead.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu