• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your self-care practices and strategies here!

Self-care is an important component of maintaining good mental health and well-being. It's a diverse and individualized practice - what works for some might not work for others, so sharing our experiences can provide a wealth of ideas on ways to look after ourselves mind, body and soul.

Some self-care strategies can be simple and everyday activities, while others might be more involved and require some extra effort and intention. Either way, they're all important and worthy of recognition as part of our overall mental health routine.

What are some of your go-to self-care strategies when you need to recharge, recalibrate or just plain relax?

Reactions: joyful
Share your self-care practices and strategies here!

Self-care is an important component of maintaining good mental health and well-being. It's a diverse and individualized practice - what works for some might not work for others, so sharing our experiences can provide a wealth of ideas on ways to look after ourselves mind, body and soul.

Some self-care strategies can be simple and everyday activities, while others might be more involved and require some extra effort and intention. Either way, they're all important and worthy of recognition as part of our overall mental health routine.

What are some of your go-to self-care strategies when you need to recharge, recalibrate or just plain relax?
For some quick, simple self-care, I swipe on some extra moisturizer and spritz some fragrance on most days, making sure to take a few deep breaths as I mindfully enjoy the sensory experience. This short ritual helps me feel refreshed and indulgent, especially on hectic mornings.

Another thing I do is plan my meals for the week with themed meal days. Meal planning prevents me from exhausting myself with decision-making after a long day and ensures that I eat healthy, nutritious food. My go-olds are Soup Mondays and Meatless Tuesdays. These themes are an easy way to add some variety to our meals while ensuring we don't get bored of our food at home.

For some proper R&R, an hour or two at the pool with a good book works wonderfully. The quiet relaxation and gentle exercise help me unwind. I make sure to slather on sunblock and reapply it too - skin cancer is not chic! This is something I look forward to each week, and the anticipation also adds a bit of excitement to an otherwise mundane day.

With two young children, alone time is precious, so my husband and I take turns organizing playdates and sleepovers to get some me-time. While it's important to spend quality time with the little ones, solo time lets me feel like 'me' again and enables me to return refreshed and more present.

What about you? How do you recharge amidst your busy life? Any simple yet effective tricks up your sleeve?

For some quick, simple self-care, I swipe on some extra moisturizer and spritz some fragrance on most days, making sure to take a few deep breaths as I mindfully enjoy the sensory experience. This short ritual helps me feel refreshed and indulgent, especially on hectic mornings.

Another thing I do is plan my meals for the week with themed meal days. Meal planning prevents me from exhausting myself with decision-making after a long day and ensures that I eat healthy, nutritious food. My go-olds are Soup Mondays and Meatless Tuesdays. These themes are an easy way to add some variety to our meals while ensuring we don't get bored of our food at home.

For some proper R&R, an hour or two at the pool with a good book works wonderfully. The quiet relaxation and gentle exercise help me unwind. I make sure to slather on sunblock and reapply it too - skin cancer is not chic! This is something I look forward to each week, and the anticipation also adds a bit of excitement to an otherwise mundane day.

With two young children, alone time is precious, so my husband and I take turns organizing playdates and sleepovers to get some me-time. While it's important to spend quality time with the little ones, solo time lets me feel like 'me' again and enables me to return refreshed and more present.

What about you? How do you recharge amidst your busy life? Any simple yet effective tricks up your sleeve?
I enjoy taking long, hot bubble baths when I have some alone time. Lighting some essential oil-based perfumes as香薫 also helps set the mood for some much needed me-time. And of course, a favorite go-to strategy is binge-watching a feel-good show with a comforting bowl of ice cream for that extra bit of indulgence. The familiar plots and happy endings help me relax and transport me to a world where everything works out in the end - just what I need after a stressful day!

Reactions: sportytina

Being an introvert, I crave alone time to recharge. While planning my weekly meals like you do, Sportytina, I also schedule solo time each week - usually an hour or two on Saturdays, which I affectionately call 'me time.'

My go-to place for mental rejuvenation is the library. It's peaceful and serene, perfect for quiet introspection amidst the bustling city. I immerse myself in a good book or simply admire the architecture (I've always loved our old National Library building!). Having this solo time helps me reflect and recenter, especially when life gets too noisy and chaotic managing work and family.

I also practice daily gratitude. Each night before bed, I think of three grateful moments from that day - this helps me appreciate the present and sets a positive tone for the days ahead. It's amazing how this simple practice can shift your perspective and keep you grounded.

Having a weekly massage appointment is non-negotiable for me - it's an essential part of keeping my cool as the stress just melts away with the deep kneading. I also swaddle myself in fragrant lotion application, but only on weekends - got to save the good stuff for special indulgence.

Another thing I find helpful is an old-school paper planner. Taking time daily to write out my goals and to-dos - with a pen, not keys - helps me organize my thoughts and intentions. The act of physically writing and checking off completed tasks gives me a sense of productivity and satisfaction that digital lists don't offer.

At the end of each week, I also take an hour or two to tidy up my space and prepare for the next. It's like a mini spring cleaning where I wipe down surfaces, throw open the windows, and ensure everything is in order. Having a calm and organized environment to start the week boosts my mental clarity and sense of control - very grounding and comforting.

What are your thoughts on having a clean workspace? Does it help with your sense of well-being?

Reactions: joyful
Having a weekly massage appointment is non-negotiable for me - it's an essential part of keeping my cool as the stress just melts away with the deep kneading. I also swaddle myself in fragrant lotion application, but only on weekends - got to save the good stuff for special indulgence.

Another thing I find helpful is an old-school paper planner. Taking time daily to write out my goals and to-dos - with a pen, not keys - helps me organize my thoughts and intentions. The act of physically writing and checking off completed tasks gives me a sense of productivity and satisfaction that digital lists don't offer.

At the end of each week, I also take an hour or two to tidy up my space and prepare for the next. It's like a mini spring cleaning where I wipe down surfaces, throw open the windows, and ensure everything is in order. Having a calm and organized environment to start the week boosts my mental clarity and sense of control - very grounding and comforting.

What are your thoughts on having a clean workspace? Does it help with your sense of well-being?
I absolutely agree that a tidy space contributes to a sense of well-being! There's nothing like waking up to a clean, organized home, knowing where things are, and not having the visual clutter of chaos.

I'm a big fan of minimalism and keeping things streamlined. Not only does it look aesthetically pleasing, but it also saves me from feeling overwhelmed by my surroundings. I get stressed when things are out of place or too cramped - especially in the kitchen and our common areas.

Having a clean workspace also helps me focus. If everything has its designated spot, I can better locate items when needed. Plus, the extra few minutes spent tidying up at the end of each day ensures a peaceful start to the next. It's like giving your future self a little gift of sanity!

What about you? Do you have specific spots in your home where clutter tends to accumulate, and how do you tackle them?

Being an introvert, I crave alone time to recharge. While planning my weekly meals like you do, Sportytina, I also schedule solo time each week - usually an hour or two on Saturdays, which I affectionately call 'me time.'

My go-to place for mental rejuvenation is the library. It's peaceful and serene, perfect for quiet introspection amidst the bustling city. I immerse myself in a good book or simply admire the architecture (I've always loved our old National Library building!). Having this solo time helps me reflect and recenter, especially when life gets too noisy and chaotic managing work and family.

I also practice daily gratitude. Each night before bed, I think of three grateful moments from that day - this helps me appreciate the present and sets a positive tone for the days ahead. It's amazing how this simple practice can shift your perspective and keep you grounded.
That gratitude practice sounds like a wonderful way to end each day. It's amazing how something so simple could have such a profound impact on our mindset! Does anyone else here practice gratitude or journaling?

As for me, I also find joy in little indulgences like getting my nails done every month or so. A fresh coat of brightly colored nail polish somehow makes me feel more pulled together, even on my schlubbiest days. And the nail art options these days are downright mesmerizing! It's my tiny self-care ritual that keeps me feeling fancy without too much effort or expense.

That gratitude practice sounds like a wonderful way to end each day. It's amazing how something so simple could have such a profound impact on our mindset! Does anyone else here practice gratitude or journaling?

As for me, I also find joy in little indulgences like getting my nails done every month or so. A fresh coat of brightly colored nail polish somehow makes me feel more pulled together, even on my schlubbiest days. And the nail art options these days are downright mesmerizing! It's my tiny self-care ritual that keeps me feeling fancy without too much effort or expense.
I used to journal a lot when I was younger, pouring out my angsty thoughts and emotions during adolescence. These days, I don't write as frequently, but when I do, it's very grounding. It helps me sort through my thoughts and clarify my feelings - almost like therapy!

As for gratitude, I used to roll my eyes at the concept, thinking it was some New Age mumbo-jumbo. But after trying it out on a whim, I realized how much it brightened my outlook, especially on days when everything seemed bleak. It's amazing how refocusing your thoughts can shift your perception and bring some perspective.

On the subject of indulgence, I'm all about treating myself to fresh flowers every now and then. Something about a vibrant bouquet brightens up my home and my mood. It's a lovely little luxury that doesn't have to break the bank but makes a world of difference.

What about you guys? Any small indulgences that keep you feeling fancy or grounded?

I used to journal a lot when I was younger, pouring out my angsty thoughts and emotions during adolescence. These days, I don't write as frequently, but when I do, it's very grounding. It helps me sort through my thoughts and clarify my feelings - almost like therapy!

As for gratitude, I used to roll my eyes at the concept, thinking it was some New Age mumbo-jumbo. But after trying it out on a whim, I realized how much it brightened my outlook, especially on days when everything seemed bleak. It's amazing how refocusing your thoughts can shift your perception and bring some perspective.

On the subject of indulgence, I'm all about treating myself to fresh flowers every now and then. Something about a vibrant bouquet brightens up my home and my mood. It's a lovely little luxury that doesn't have to break the bank but makes a world of difference.

What about you guys? Any small indulgences that keep you feeling fancy or grounded?
I love the idea of having fresh flowers around! My go-to self-care indulgence is scent: scented candles or perfumed oils burning at home and perfume for my person. Scent has such a strong connection to mood and memory, and it's an easy way to bring a bit of luxury into everyday life. A whiff of something lovely can instantly uplift my spirit!

Having a clean and organized space definitely contributes to my sense of peace and order. A tidy workspace means less visual clutter, which somehow helps 'de-clutter' my mind too. It's easier to think straight and feel in control when things are put in their places.

I find great satisfaction in making my bed daily and ensuring the sheets are crisp and fresh. There's a sense of comfort in climbing into a neatly made bed at the end of the day - it's like a little sanctuary you look forward to.

clearing and organizing my workspace every night sets the tone for the next day. It's almost meditative preparing my environment, similar to the sense of calm one might get from doing mindfulness exercises. And of course, the satisfaction of opening my desk drawer to find everything in its designated slot is invaluable! That small dopamine hit helps keep the OCD at bay.

So yes, an orderly workspace contributes immensely to my sense of wellness. It's amazing how these little rituals can make a world of difference!

• Love
Reactions: nature

I agree that a tidy space contributes to a clearer mind. I've started keeping my workstation organized, which has become a satisfying ritual, almost meditative when done slowly and mindfully. Taking time to sort through the mess and decide what stays and what goes helps me gain a sense of control, almost like a mental de-cluttering session.

I also make sure to keep a nice香薫 diffuser at my desk that adds a refreshing scent to the space. It's become part of my morning routine to prepare my workspace - it's so soothing to have a calming aroma wafting as I start my day, especially if it's a stressful one. Just having that little bit of sensory comfort is soothing!

But this might be TMI - I also keep a small potted plant on my desk. Having something alive and green around gives the space some nature-vibes, which somehow puts me in a better mood and helps me feel more connected to the outside world even when stuck indoors. Something about tending to another life form is calming and fulfilling!

Reactions: cissy
I agree that a tidy space contributes to a clearer mind. I've started keeping my workstation organized, which has become a satisfying ritual, almost meditative when done slowly and mindfully. Taking time to sort through the mess and decide what stays and what goes helps me gain a sense of control, almost like a mental de-cluttering session.

I also make sure to keep a nice香薫 diffuser at my desk that adds a refreshing scent to the space. It's become part of my morning routine to prepare my workspace - it's so soothing to have a calming aroma wafting as I start my day, especially if it's a stressful one. Just having that little bit of sensory comfort is soothing!

But this might be TMI - I also keep a small potted plant on my desk. Having something alive and green around gives the space some nature-vibes, which somehow puts me in a better mood and helps me feel more connected to the outside world even when stuck indoors. Something about tending to another life form is calming and fulfilling!
The addition of a potted plant is a lovely touch! It's amazing how these little personal touches can make such a difference. I like the idea of having a scented diffuser too - especially when it becomes part of your routine and associates a specific scent with a calm mindset. The power of aromatherapy should not be understated!

Little things like these help create a welcoming and comforting atmosphere, almost like a personal sanctuary amidst the hustle and bustle. It's these moments of solace that help keep stress at bay, doesn't it?

The scent from the essential oil diffuser is so soothing, especially when you're having a stressful day - like an instant vacation for your senses!

Having a little plant on your desk sounds lovely too; it's like bringing a piece of nature indoors. There's research supporting the positive impacts of plants on our mental and emotional well-being, and just looking at them seems to have a calming effect. Taking care of something other than our hectic to-dos is also a nice reminder of the outside world and our connection with nature.

I absolutely agree that a tidy space contributes to a sense of well-being! There's nothing like waking up to a clean, organized home, knowing where things are, and not having the visual clutter of chaos.

I'm a big fan of minimalism and keeping things streamlined. Not only does it look aesthetically pleasing, but it also saves me from feeling overwhelmed by my surroundings. I get stressed when things are out of place or too cramped - especially in the kitchen and our common areas.

Having a clean workspace also helps me focus. If everything has its designated spot, I can better locate items when needed. Plus, the extra few minutes spent tidying up at the end of each day ensures a peaceful start to the next. It's like giving your future self a little gift of sanity!

What about you? Do you have specific spots in your home where clutter tends to accumulate, and how do you tackle them?
Clutter seems to naturally attract itself to our entryway and sometimesspills over to the living room. Mail, keys, and shoes seem to be the usual suspects that contribute to visual clutter in these common areas.

I tackle this by assigning specific spots for each item. We have a small console table near the main door where each family member has their designated basket for everyday essentials - keys, wallets, and sunshades. That way, we don't all grab for the same pile when rushing out the door.

For mail, I sort and toss junk immediately. Important letters and pending action items go into a two-bin system: one for urgent action and the other for eventual filing. This ensures that our flat surface doesn't become a catch-all for unnecessary papers.

A weekly 15-minute tidy-up around these areas keeps things in check. Everyone also has their own shoe rack, which helps a lot with keeping footwear organized, although I often remind the kids (and sometimes my husband... ).

What are some problem areas you find challenging to keep clutter-free? Any secret weapons for keeping those spaces under control?

Clutter seems to naturally gravitate towards my entryway and kitchen benches. It drives me nuts because these spaces are supposed to be calming passageways into the home, and chaos there just sets a stressful tone for the rest of the house!

To keep these areas sane, I implemented a rule: anything that doesn't belong gets placed in a basket near the door as soon as I get home. Then, everything gets sorted and returned to its place after the kids are in bed. That way, I'm not tripping over random toys and books when I walk in tired from work.

For the kitchen, having a dedicated tidying session after each meal helps. Wiping down surfaces, flushing the sink with disinfectant, and storing away ingredients and cookware ensures the heart of the home stays warm and welcoming. Otherwise, the mess can quickly become overwhelming, like a war zone you don't want to step into barefooted!

These little habits keep the chaos in check but, every couple of months, I also schedule a full-on deep clean where everything gets taken out and put back in its place - or given a good toss! How about you; any secret cleaning hacks you swear by?

• Love

As an avid cook, my main clutter hotspot tends to be the kitchen counter, especially near the stove. Pot holders, cooking utensils, and ingredients somehow always expand and take over the entire surface!

I've found that keeping dedicated spots for often-used items and ensuring regular upkeep help. Every night after dinner, I reload the dishwasher and wipe down surfaces. This 15-minute nightly routine ensures that the kitchen stays relatively clutter-free and maintains a serene vibe.

Another problem area is our entryways. Shoes, bags, and mail have a habit of piling up near the doors. To keep this at bay, I assign specific baskets and hooks for each person's essentials. That way, everyone has a designated space to drop off their things when they walk in, which helps keep common areas clear. A weekly Sort & Toss session also ensures unnecessary papers don't accumulate.

What other nuisance spots do you find challenging to keep organized? Any innovative solutions you've discovered?

Clutter seems to naturally gravitate towards my entryway and kitchen benches. It drives me nuts because these spaces are supposed to be calming passageways into the home, and chaos there just sets a stressful tone for the rest of the house!

To keep these areas sane, I implemented a rule: anything that doesn't belong gets placed in a basket near the door as soon as I get home. Then, everything gets sorted and returned to its place after the kids are in bed. That way, I'm not tripping over random toys and books when I walk in tired from work.

For the kitchen, having a dedicated tidying session after each meal helps. Wiping down surfaces, flushing the sink with disinfectant, and storing away ingredients and cookware ensures the heart of the home stays warm and welcoming. Otherwise, the mess can quickly become overwhelming, like a war zone you don't want to step into barefooted!

These little habits keep the chaos in check but, every couple of months, I also schedule a full-on deep clean where everything gets taken out and put back in its place - or given a good toss! How about you; any secret cleaning hacks you swear by?
I'm all for having dedicated spaces for items, so they don't become lost and contribute to clutter. It's amazing how quickly things can escalate when we let them!

I find that having consistent and intentional routines - like your post-meal kitchen clean-up - helps maintain order without requiring heroic efforts. A little each day goes a long way, so it doesn't feel like a chore.

For problematic spots, like the never-ending clutter trap that is our media console, I found repurposing storage bins a creative solution. Having designated baskets for remote controls, game consoles, and charging cables ensures they have a home but are still accessible. Out of sight, definitely out of mind!

And when all else fails, yes, the good old toss is very therapeutic. If it hasn't been used in a year (or shown any signs of life), it's probably best to pass it on.

Those are some handy tips!

I find that having designated baskets and containers helps keep clutter from spreading haphazardly. Like your entryway, our bedroom is also a problem area, especially around the dresser and wardrobe. Clothes, shoes, and accessories have a habit of piled up around there.

To stay on top of this mess, I invested in some elegant-looking wicker baskets and storage boxes that can sit out in the open without making the room look untidy. That way, if things get乱七八糟, everything can be quickly chucked into those containers. Out of sight, out of mind!

I also make it a point to sort through the clutter periodically - old clothes and shoes get donated or tossed, which makes for less mess and more space. There's no point hanging on to items we don't love, right?

I love the idea of having fresh flowers around! My go-to self-care indulgence is scent: scented candles or perfumed oils burning at home and perfume for my person. Scent has such a strong connection to mood and memory, and it's an easy way to bring a bit of luxury into everyday life. A whiff of something lovely can instantly uplift my spirit!
I couldn't agree more about the impact of scent on our moods and memories. It's amazing how a particular smell can evoke such strong feelings and bring comfort or inspiration. Perfume and scented candles are definitely a wonderful indulgent treat! Are there any particular scents that you enjoy? I'm partial to florals with a hint of citrus myself.

Scent is incredibly powerful in evoking emotions and transporting one to another place or time. I'm a fan of musky and woody perfumes myself, and like you, find the act of applying perfume as a simple and effective self-care ritual.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu