• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several moms on the forum shared how they treat themselves to mani-pedis, especially neon colors that uplift their spirits during the weekends amidst the hectic schedule of motherhood. It's these little fancy secrets, like painted toenails peeking out from under mom pants, that make them feel feminine and cheerful. The simple act of nail care serves as a form of self-care and a mood booster for many moms, and they take pleasure in experimenting with different colors and treating themselves to some 'me' time at the salon.

There are so many aspects to consider when discussing self-care: from boundaries and physical health, to fun indulgent practices! What strategies do you use to take care of yourself?

I'll go first! My self care has been especially important this year as I navigate some stressful situations - my go tos are long walks with podcasts, a freshly organized space (or closet, or drawer - there's something so satisfying about decluttering!), and treating myself to fresh flowers. They're such a simple pleasure, but seeing them brightens up my mood every time I glance at them. What are yours?

Reactions: bookworm
There are so many aspects to consider when discussing self-care: from boundaries and physical health, to fun indulgent practices! What strategies do you use to take care of yourself?

I'll go first! My self care has been especially important this year as I navigate some stressful situations - my go tos are long walks with podcasts, a freshly organized space (or closet, or drawer - there's something so satisfying about decluttering!), and treating myself to fresh flowers. They're such a simple pleasure, but seeing them brightens up my mood every time I glance at them. What are yours?
Taking a page from your book, I find that going for long jogs or doing some high-intensity interval training workouts outdoor is my form of active self-care. The feeling of getting your heart rate up and releasing those endorphins is such a great way to de-stress and get rid of negative emotions. After especially tough sessions, the sense of accomplishment from pushing my body to its limits is an incredible boost to my mental wellbeing.

I also actively practice mindfulness, which helps me to stay in the moment and appreciate the present. This grounded feeling is extremely calming and prevents me from getting overwhelmed.

Occasional indulgences are also necessary! I treat myself to a facial every now and then, which forces me to slow down and really indulge in some me-time. The pampering and relaxation are so luxurious, and it's an effective way to recharge.

What about you? What are some of your go-to ways to wind down or uplift your mood?

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Taking a page from your book, I find that going for long jogs or doing some high-intensity interval training workouts outdoor is my form of active self-care. The feeling of getting your heart rate up and releasing those endorphins is such a great way to de-stress and get rid of negative emotions. After especially tough sessions, the sense of accomplishment from pushing my body to its limits is an incredible boost to my mental wellbeing.

I also actively practice mindfulness, which helps me to stay in the moment and appreciate the present. This grounded feeling is extremely calming and prevents me from getting overwhelmed.

Occasional indulgences are also necessary! I treat myself to a facial every now and then, which forces me to slow down and really indulge in some me-time. The pampering and relaxation are so luxurious, and it's an effective way to recharge.

What about you? What are some of your go-to ways to wind down or uplift your mood?
Oh yeah, I can definitely relate to the endorphin rush from intense workouts - there's nothing like it! especially when you're struggling with mental congestion; a good workout session is an excellent natural solution.

My ultimate feel-good indulgence is snuggling up with my son and husband. Cuddles and quality time with them are precious, and it's such a warm fuzzy feeling that instantly lifts my spirits!

I also love taking long hot showers, especially after a tough day wrangling a toddler - it's my me-time where I can just zone out, relax, and let the warm water massage my aches away. Then, I'll lather up with some lush body cream or lotion and slip into something comfortable. It's such a simple yet effective way to wind down and treat myself kindly.

I'm also big on pedicures, which is so silly but satisfies my need for perfection when I see my neatly painted toes!

Totally agree with you on the workout high and how it clears mental congestion - it's an incredible natural way to boost our mood!

There's nothing like quality snuggle time with loved ones - especially when it involves lots of cuddles! It's amazing how something so simple can make us feel so good.

Me-time is so important, and your hot shower wind-down routine sounds heavenly, especially after a long day. Adding the indulgent body cream and comfy clothing makes it even more of a special treat.

I also love a good pedicure! It's such a satisfying feeling to have pretty painted toes - a simple yet effective way to feel fancy.

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
Oh yeah, I can definitely relate to the endorphin rush from intense workouts - there's nothing like it! especially when you're struggling with mental congestion; a good workout session is an excellent natural solution.

My ultimate feel-good indulgence is snuggling up with my son and husband. Cuddles and quality time with them are precious, and it's such a warm fuzzy feeling that instantly lifts my spirits!

I also love taking long hot showers, especially after a tough day wrangling a toddler - it's my me-time where I can just zone out, relax, and let the warm water massage my aches away. Then, I'll lather up with some lush body cream or lotion and slip into something comfortable. It's such a simple yet effective way to wind down and treat myself kindly.

I'm also big on pedicures, which is so silly but satisfies my need for perfection when I see my neatly painted toes!
Mmm, you've sold me on the long hot showers idea - there's nothing like letting your stress wash down the drain with a torrential shower! I love the idea of zoning out and letting the water relax your muscles. Following that up with some lush, hydrating lotion or cream sounds like a lovely self-care ritual too.

I also enjoy drawing - it's my creative outlet and a real mind cleanser. I've loved art since young, but since having kids, I'd never made time for it until recently. It's amazing how engaging in a creative activity can stir up your imagination and leave you feeling fulfilled and satisfied! So yup, taking that time out to draw, paint or just get creative is a fantastic de-stresser and gives me a sense of accomplishment too.

What about you? Any other self-care strategies up your sleeve?

Totally agree with you on the workout high and how it clears mental congestion - it's an incredible natural way to boost our mood!

There's nothing like quality snuggle time with loved ones - especially when it involves lots of cuddles! It's amazing how something so simple can make us feel so good.

Me-time is so important, and your hot shower wind-down routine sounds heavenly, especially after a long day. Adding the indulgent body cream and comfy clothing makes it even more of a special treat.

I also love a good pedicure! It's such a satisfying feeling to have pretty painted toes - a simple yet effective way to feel fancy.
That pedi feeling is so satisfying! especially when you pick a gorgeous colour and it turns out bubble-gum perfect.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee

Mmmm, yes - the simple pleasures like cuddles and being fancy-free are the best de-strencers. Pedicures are a wonderful way to feel fancy, and it's like giving your feet a little gift! Something about having dainty toes makes me feel so feminine too, heh.

I'm all about those little indulgences that make motherhood more enjoyable and help me stay sane - we deserve them!

That pedi feeling is so satisfying! especially when you pick a gorgeous colour and it turns out bubble-gum perfect.
Mmm, yes - the right colour can make it extra special. I usually go for classic red, but lately, I've been into dark, moody shades of violet and blue. They're such a nice change and make me feel elegant AF.

What are your go-to colours for your pedi?

Reactions: bubblyfish
Mmmm, yes - the simple pleasures like cuddles and being fancy-free are the best de-strencers. Pedicures are a wonderful way to feel fancy, and it's like giving your feet a little gift! Something about having dainty toes makes me feel so feminine too, heh.

I'm all about those little indulgences that make motherhood more enjoyable and help me stay sane - we deserve them!
Yasss, girl! We mums often forget about ourselves amidst the chaos of motherhood, so it's crucial to indulge in these little pick-me-ups. They help refresh our spirits and energise us.

And oh, pretty painted toes are like a fun secret under those mummy pants, ha! A subtle reminder that we can still feel fancy and feminine even while changing nappies and wiping snotty noses.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Mmm, yes - the right colour can make it extra special. I usually go for classic red, but lately, I've been into dark, moody shades of violet and blue. They're such a nice change and make me feel elegant AF.

What are your go-to colours for your pedi?
I mostly opt for nude/skin toned polishes as they somehow make my feet look less chucky, but recently I've been feeling adventurous and daring to experiment with neons - pinks and oranges! They're fun and surprisingly brightens up my mood when I catch a glimpse of it under the water while showering.

Yasss, girl! We mums often forget about ourselves amidst the chaos of motherhood, so it's crucial to indulge in these little pick-me-ups. They help refresh our spirits and energise us.

And oh, pretty painted toes are like a fun secret under those mummy pants, ha! A subtle reminder that we can still feel fancy and feminine even while changing nappies and wiping snotty noses.
Haha, snotty noses and paint-stained toes - the life of a mum is full of surprises! But it's these little fancy secrets that make the mundane feel magical, isn't it?

What other simple self-care strategies do you use to bring a smile to your face during the hectic weekend? A good laugh with a friend perhaps or an addictive novel you can't put down?

Reactions: travelmum
I mostly opt for nude/skin toned polishes as they somehow make my feet look less chucky, but recently I've been feeling adventurous and daring to experiment with neons - pinks and oranges! They're fun and surprisingly brightens up my mood when I catch a glimpse of it under the water while showering.
Neons are a fun way to add some brightness and joy to your day! It's like carrying a little rainbow with you. I find that darker skin tones look great with neons; they're so contrasting and bold - really lovely.

I mostly stick to reds and the safer neutral shades when I do my fingernails, but pedis are so much fun because you don't see them as often, so why not go wild, right? The last time I went for a bright, lively yellow pedi, which was a huge departure from my usual. It felt like such a happy color, very mood-lifting!

That's so true! Neons can be incredibly uplifting and fun. I've been doing a lot of pastels recently, but you're inspiring me to bring out the brights - they're such a mood booster, especially for toenails! That yellow sounds awesome - like sunshine on your feet! What other colours are you thinking of trying?

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Neons are a fun way to add some brightness and joy to your day! It's like carrying a little rainbow with you. I find that darker skin tones look great with neons; they're so contrasting and bold - really lovely.

I mostly stick to reds and the safer neutral shades when I do my fingernails, but pedis are so much fun because you don't see them as often, so why not go wild, right? The last time I went for a bright, lively yellow pedi, which was a huge departure from my usual. It felt like such a happy color, very mood-lifting!
Oh, that's a lovely cheery colour - yellow! I usually stick to what I know but might dare to go for something fun and flirty next time :)

I'm loving all the neon pinks and oranges I've been seeing. Something so bold and vibrant really perks me up, especially when the weather's grey!
Those bright neons can be quite a mood booster! A splash of vibrant colours can instantly lift the gloom away, add some fun to your outfit, or even serve as an uplifting background for your home decor.

Oh, that's a lovely cheery colour - yellow! I usually stick to what I know but might dare to go for something fun and flirty next time :)
it's nice to switch things up sometimes and experiment with color! You may find a new favorite shade or, at the very least, have some fun and feel cheerful looking down at your toes.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Those bright neons can be quite a mood booster! A splash of vibrant colours can instantly lift the gloom away, add some fun to your outfit, or even serve as an uplifting background for your home decor.
the use of neon hues in fashion and interior design always adds a fun and cheerful twist! I've been experimenting with nail polishes in neon colors recently. It's amazing how something so simple can put a smile on my face. Does anyone else have any other mood-boosting tricks using neons? Share your self-care secrets!

it's nice to switch things up sometimes and experiment with color! You may find a new favorite shade or, at the very least, have some fun and feel cheerful looking down at your toes.
Ya, not too shabby to spruce things up every once in a while! Gives me an excuse to head down to the nail salon.

the use of neon hues in fashion and interior design always adds a fun and cheerful twist! I've been experimenting with nail polishes in neon colors recently. It's amazing how something so simple can put a smile on my face. Does anyone else have any other mood-boosting tricks using neons? Share your self-care secrets!
I love the energy that neon colours bring! They're attention-grabbing and fun. Besides polishes, I like to incorporate neons into my fashion outfits. A simple accessory like a scarf or a bag can make a dull outfit pop and lift up my mood immediately. It's like wearing sunshine!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu