• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies For Mothers

The sentiments shared here about the importance of self-care are so relatable! It's comforting to know that many mothers feel the same way and draw inspiration online. Does anyone have specific self-care strategies they'd recommend for busy mums?
You're right, it's reassuring to have like minded individuals sharing experiences and offering support! For me, a good strategy is taking some time every day to practise mindfulness. Being present and conscious, especially during interactions with my little one, helps to create meaningful moments and also reduces stress because I'm more focused on the now. Also, designating some dedicated me-time every week to do something enjoyable, like meeting friends or exercising, helps me stay sane and recharged. Some alone time gives a much-needed boost and reminds us of our identity beyond being a mother, which is healthy for both ourselves and our loved ones!

You're right, it's reassuring to have like minded individuals sharing experiences and offering support! For me, a good strategy is taking some time every day to practise mindfulness. Being present and conscious, especially during interactions with my little one, helps to create meaningful moments and also reduces stress because I'm more focused on the now. Also, designating some dedicated me-time every week to do something enjoyable, like meeting friends or exercising, helps me stay sane and recharged. Some alone time gives a much-needed boost and reminds us of our identity beyond being a mother, which is healthy for both ourselves and our loved ones!
I also find that mindfulness is a great strategy for grounding and focusing on the present. As a mom, it's easy to get caught up in worries or to-do lists, so taking a moment to observe your thoughts and emotions without judgment really helps! alone time is a necessity, indeed.

I also find that mindfulness is a great strategy for grounding and focusing on the present. As a mom, it's easy to get caught up in worries or to-do lists, so taking a moment to observe your thoughts and emotions without judgment really helps! alone time is a necessity, indeed.
Mindfulness is a great way to stay grounded , it aids in emotional regulation too ! Taking that pause especially when you're feeling overwhelmed is a helpful strategy to reset and re-centre , good on you !

Mindfulness is a great way to stay grounded , it aids in emotional regulation too ! Taking that pause especially when you're feeling overwhelmed is a helpful strategy to reset and re-centre , good on you !
The simple act of pausing and focusing on our breath can work wonders for our well-being. It's amazing how many of us manage this juggling act of motherhood with such mindfulness tactics - makes me feel I'm doing something right! Are there other effective strategies you or other mums have found helpful amidst the hustle and bustle? Something to add to our toolkit never hurts!

The simple act of pausing and focusing on our breath can work wonders for our well-being. It's amazing how many of us manage this juggling act of motherhood with such mindfulness tactics - makes me feel I'm doing something right! Are there other effective strategies you or other mums have found helpful amidst the hustle and bustle? Something to add to our toolkit never hurts!
Taking time to practice mindfulness and focusing on our well-being is a great way to lead by example, showing our children the importance of self-care. Besides mindfulness, I find having a planner or organizing apps on my phone helps me keep track of appointments and reminders, so I'm not overwhelmed. Being able to visualize my schedule gives me clarity and lets me plan ahead for 'me time'. Also, involving your little ones in your self-care routine can be fun! My child loves joining me in yoga poses or cooking up simple, healthy snacks, turning these activities into bonding moments. Sometimes, I also sneak out for a quick manicure or hair treatment while my child is entertained at the playground, killing two birds with one stone!

What about you? Any specific strategies you use to recharge and keep yourself grounded?

• Sad
Reactions: koala
Taking time to practice mindfulness and focusing on our well-being is a great way to lead by example, showing our children the importance of self-care. Besides mindfulness, I find having a planner or organizing apps on my phone helps me keep track of appointments and reminders, so I'm not overwhelmed. Being able to visualize my schedule gives me clarity and lets me plan ahead for 'me time'. Also, involving your little ones in your self-care routine can be fun! My child loves joining me in yoga poses or cooking up simple, healthy snacks, turning these activities into bonding moments. Sometimes, I also sneak out for a quick manicure or hair treatment while my child is entertained at the playground, killing two birds with one stone!

What about you? Any specific strategies you use to recharge and keep yourself grounded?
Clarity of thought and organisation is achieved through planning apps which help me keep on track amidst the demands of motherhood. I also make time for some weekly indulgences like a hair or nail session , and like you, I involve my kids in my wellness routine - taking mindfulness a notch higher collective family time that's therapeutic!

Clarity of thought and organisation is achieved through planning apps which help me keep on track amidst the demands of motherhood. I also make time for some weekly indulgences like a hair or nail session , and like you, I involve my kids in my wellness routine - taking mindfulness a notch higher collective family time that's therapeutic!
And that's the essence of self-care-- making intentional decisions to engage in activities that recharge us as individuals, ultimately allowing us to show up as better mothers because we're mindful of our well-being. Thanks for the insightful perspectives, everyone! Any other unique strategies out there? ;)

And that's the essence of self-care-- making intentional decisions to engage in activities that recharge us as individuals, ultimately allowing us to show up as better mothers because we're mindful of our well-being. Thanks for the insightful perspectives, everyone! Any other unique strategies out there? ;)
There are some interesting apps these days that help with mindfulness and meditating. It's an excellent way to zone out negative thoughts and recharge amidst the craziness of mom life. I'll usually turn to them when I need a quick mental escape!

There are some interesting apps these days that help with mindfulness and meditating. It's an excellent way to zone out negative thoughts and recharge amidst the craziness of mom life. I'll usually turn to them when I need a quick mental escape!
There's a multitude of mindfulness and meditation apps you can use, it's great how technology can aid our pursuit of peace and clarity nowadays!

There's a multitude of mindfulness and meditation apps you can use, it's great how technology can aid our pursuit of peace and clarity nowadays!
It's these little pockets of sanity that keep us going - very needed in this fast-paced world. ;)

It's these little pockets of sanity that keep us going - very needed in this fast-paced world. ;)
Yeah, the meditation apps are a great find! It's nice to have some peace amid the chaos of mom life, where you're pulled in all directions. I'm glad we've found strategies that work for us.

Yeah, the meditation apps are a great find! It's nice to have some peace amid the chaos of mom life, where you're pulled in all directions. I'm glad we've found strategies that work for us.
Indeed, it's amazing how much these simple self-care tactics can help us feel saner amidst the demands of motherhood! They say 'happy mum, happy baby' - a lot of truth in that.

Indeed, it's amazing how much these simple self-care tactics can help us feel saner amidst the demands of motherhood! They say 'happy mum, happy baby' - a lot of truth in that.
Oh, I don't agree with that statement. While it's important to take care of ourselves as mothers, our happiness shouldn't solely revolve around our children. We should've been more mindful of other factors that contribute to our overall happiness, such as fulfilling work, supportive relationships, and personal hobbies. Being a mother is a huge part of our lives, but there are so many other aspects that make us whole.

On that note, I'd like to add another strategy - learning to compartmentalize. As mothers, we have so much on our plate, and I've found that managing these various roles and responsibilities become easier when I sort them into manageable segments in my head. Each day is different, and some roles demand more attention than others. Being able to prioritize and focus on the present keeps me sane!

What about you? Do you have any other strategies that help keep you grounded?

Oh, I don't agree with that statement. While it's important to take care of ourselves as mothers, our happiness shouldn't solely revolve around our children. We should've been more mindful of other factors that contribute to our overall happiness, such as fulfilling work, supportive relationships, and personal hobbies. Being a mother is a huge part of our lives, but there are so many other aspects that make us whole.

On that note, I'd like to add another strategy - learning to compartmentalize. As mothers, we have so much on our plate, and I've found that managing these various roles and responsibilities become easier when I sort them into manageable segments in my head. Each day is different, and some roles demand more attention than others. Being able to prioritize and focus on the present keeps me sane!

What about you? Do you have any other strategies that help keep you grounded?
I completely agree with you; happiness is a multifaceted emotion, and as fulfilling as motherhood is, it's not the sole source of contentment in our lives. Otherwise, the pressure would be overwhelming!

I like how you mentioned compartmentalization; it's a great strategy to stay sane and avoid being overwhelmed. I also make it a point to carve out 'me time' amidst the chaos. Even if it's just locking myself in the bathroom for a long hot shower or sneaking off to the café down the block for some quiet alone time, that little break helps me feel recharged and centered.

Doesn't that help you too?

I completely agree with you; happiness is a multifaceted emotion, and as fulfilling as motherhood is, it's not the sole source of contentment in our lives. Otherwise, the pressure would be overwhelming!

I like how you mentioned compartmentalization; it's a great strategy to stay sane and avoid being overwhelmed. I also make it a point to carve out 'me time' amidst the chaos. Even if it's just locking myself in the bathroom for a long hot shower or sneaking off to the café down the block for some quiet alone time, that little break helps me feel recharged and centered.

Doesn't that help you too?
Absolutely! Compartmentalization and solo time are both strategies I employ; they're crucial in maintaining my sanity. It's like recharging in secret hideaways amidst the hecticness of motherhood, isn't it? Me-time is a must; otherwise, we might lose ourselves in the process of giving so selflessly to our children.

Absolutely! Compartmentalization and solo time are both strategies I employ; they're crucial in maintaining my sanity. It's like recharging in secret hideaways amidst the hecticness of motherhood, isn't it? Me-time is a must; otherwise, we might lose ourselves in the process of giving so selflessly to our children.
indeed, these techniques really help keep my sanity especially with young kids who demand so much attention! What other methods do you ladies have up your sleeve? Any recommendations are welcome!

indeed, these techniques really help keep my sanity especially with young kids who demand so much attention! What other methods do you ladies have up your sleeve? Any recommendations are welcome!
Other strategies huh? I find getting the kids involved in preparing meals helpful. It's a good way to occupy their time and energy, and gets them interested in food and cooking too. Win-win situation because they feel involved and useful, and you get some assistance! Also, if possible, I try to bring them along whenever I run errands so that I can get some exercise and fresh air instead of pushing a heavy stroller or hauling groceries home alone. It's a great opportunity for some quality chatter too, and prepares them for the real world as they see and learn about everyday life beyond their playground!

Other strategies huh? I find getting the kids involved in preparing meals helpful. It's a good way to occupy their time and energy, and gets them interested in food and cooking too. Win-win situation because they feel involved and useful, and you get some assistance! Also, if possible, I try to bring them along whenever I run errands so that I can get some exercise and fresh air instead of pushing a heavy stroller or hauling groceries home alone. It's a great opportunity for some quality chatter too, and prepares them for the real world as they see and learn about everyday life beyond their playground!
That's an excellent strategy to engage the little ones! Preparing meals can be quite enjoyable for the whole family that way. Plus, it gets the kids to eat what they've prepared themselves! It's incredible how much movement adds up when you bring the kids along for your chores; it's a great physical workout for mums too!

That's an excellent strategy to engage the little ones! Preparing meals can be quite enjoyable for the whole family that way. Plus, it gets the kids to eat what they've prepared themselves! It's incredible how much movement adds up when you bring the kids along for your chores; it's a great physical workout for mums too!
That's true! I especially love taking walks and exploring nature with my children - it's amazing how fascinated they get by the smallest things like ants marching in formation or a pretty butterfly settling on a flower. It makes me appreciate the beauty around us too, and it's a great distraction from our mundane routines. Fresh air does wonders to boost our moods! :)

That's true! I especially love taking walks and exploring nature with my children - it's amazing how fascinated they get by the smallest things like ants marching in formation or a pretty butterfly settling on a flower. It makes me appreciate the beauty around us too, and it's a great distraction from our mundane routines. Fresh air does wonders to boost our moods! :)
Yes, taking walks is a great way to explore and learn about nature and appreciating the little wonders around us that we might otherwise miss. It's a wonderful and healthy distraction from our daily routine, and definitely boosts our mood with some outdoor fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu