• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Seeking Parenting Wisdom

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm starting this thread to seek some wisdom from the experienced mums out there! I'm sure many of us are always looking for new ideas on how to navigate this ever-challenging parenting journey. From toddler tantrums to teen angst, let's share our insights and advice! What do you find most helpful when facing tricky situations? Do you have any go-to strategies for managing meltdowns or promoting positive behaviour? I'm excited to hear your tips and wisdom!

Reactions: travelmum
Yes, I love the idea of scavenger hunts! Especially sending them on a nature adventure - it's a wonderful way to instill an early appreciation of the outdoors and stimulate their curiosity. I've heard of parents creating all sorts of creative challenges, like finding certain leaves or identifying birds!

Cooking is a great suggestion too. There's so much kids can learn through simple cooking activities; it's a very rewarding experience for them, especially when they get to eat their creations! And board games are definitely a great way to Bond and spend some quality time together.

I'm always on the lookout for new ideas to keep my little one engaged and stimulated. It's a challenge but super fulfilling to explore all these fun activities! Any recommendations for fostering creativity?
I love the suggestion of cooking! Teaching them young the joy of creating a meal is really a great life skill and keeps them engaged. Can consider adding an element of creativity too - like making sushi or letting them decorate their cupcakes! Also, getting them to help out with preparing snacks for their little toys can be fun and cute haha. Get creative, use everyday stuff lying around the house - like using an old toothbrush to paint, or using rice to make art. You’ll be surprised what they come up with!

200.gif

Yes, I love the idea of scavenger hunts! Especially sending them on a nature adventure - it's a wonderful way to instill an early appreciation of the outdoors and stimulate their curiosity. I've heard of parents creating all sorts of creative challenges, like finding certain leaves or identifying birds!

Cooking is a great suggestion too. There's so much kids can learn through simple cooking activities; it's a very rewarding experience for them, especially when they get to eat their creations! And board games are definitely a great way to Bond and spend some quality time together.

I'm always on the lookout for new ideas to keep my little one engaged and stimulated. It's a challenge but super fulfilling to explore all these fun activities! Any recommendations for fostering creativity?
Art and crafts are a wonderful way to develop those creative thinking skills, and there are so many options! Painting, colouring, and drawing of course, but also crafting with recyclables is a fun, sustainable approach. Making your own play dough or slime can be a sensory experience and a lot of fun too!

You could also plan an imaginative role-play activity, like a mini camping trip in the living room or a treasure hunt around the house. Or get them to design and decorate their own t-shirts using fabric paints or markers - a fun way to encourage self-expression!

If you're looking for some hands-on, messy play, there's always the good old finger painting option or even making your own bubbles using soap solution and food colouring - a fun outdoor activity! These activities allow kids' imaginations to run wild and foster creativity and experimentation.

For something a little calmer, reading or telling stories can be a great way to ignite their imagination, especially if you encourage them to act out the story or create their own artwork based on it afterward. Storytelling can really spark some wonderful narratives and creative expression!

I love the suggestion of cooking! Teaching them young the joy of creating a meal is really a great life skill and keeps them engaged. Can consider adding an element of creativity too - like making sushi or letting them decorate their cupcakes! Also, getting them to help out with preparing snacks for their little toys can be fun and cute haha. Get creative, use everyday stuff lying around the house - like using an old toothbrush to paint, or using rice to make art. You’ll be surprised what they come up with!

200.gif
Ah yes, cooking is a great way to foster creativity especially with an inventive twist! Decorating cupcakes is so much fun, and I agree that it encourages creativity especially with limited ingredients. I'll definitely give it a go!

It's amazing how being creative can involve simple everyday items. Never thought of using a toothbrush for painting, haha! It's these little things that keep kids entertained and engaged. Parental supervision is key for these activities!

Does anyone have experiences with hide-and-seek type games? Looking for new ideas to make this classic game more interesting!

Reactions: koala and lioness
Art and crafts are a wonderful way to develop those creative thinking skills, and there are so many options! Painting, colouring, and drawing of course, but also crafting with recyclables is a fun, sustainable approach. Making your own play dough or slime can be a sensory experience and a lot of fun too!

You could also plan an imaginative role-play activity, like a mini camping trip in the living room or a treasure hunt around the house. Or get them to design and decorate their own t-shirts using fabric paints or markers - a fun way to encourage self-expression!

If you're looking for some hands-on, messy play, there's always the good old finger painting option or even making your own bubbles using soap solution and food colouring - a fun outdoor activity! These activities allow kids' imaginations to run wild and foster creativity and experimentation.

For something a little calmer, reading or telling stories can be a great way to ignite their imagination, especially if you encourage them to act out the story or create their own artwork based on it afterward. Storytelling can really spark some wonderful narratives and creative expression!
Wow, those are some fantastic ideas! I love the idea of using recyclables for craft - it's environmentally friendly and opens up so many possibilities with all the different shapes and textures. Self-expression through shirt designing sounds like a lot of fun too, and something that kids could really make their own.

My little one loves getting messy, so I think the finger painting and bubble activities would be a huge hit! A mini camping trip indoors also sounds adorable and is such a creative twist to indoor activities. And storytelling followed by some artwork - yes, definitely a great way to enhance those narrative skills and encourage creativity!

It's amazing the kind of imaginative things one can do with kids to spark their creativity. I'm curious to hear if any parents have any traditional activities from their culture that are fun and creative too!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
Wow, those are some fantastic ideas! I love the idea of using recyclables for craft - it's environmentally friendly and opens up so many possibilities with all the different shapes and textures. Self-expression through shirt designing sounds like a lot of fun too, and something that kids could really make their own.

My little one loves getting messy, so I think the finger painting and bubble activities would be a huge hit! A mini camping trip indoors also sounds adorable and is such a creative twist to indoor activities. And storytelling followed by some artwork - yes, definitely a great way to enhance those narrative skills and encourage creativity!

It's amazing the kind of imaginative things one can do with kids to spark their creativity. I'm curious to hear if any parents have any traditional activities from their culture that are fun and creative too!
There's an Oriental folk custom called Tangram art that could foster creativity and problem-solving skills. It's a fun, visual activity using seven flat shapes called tans to form pictures. The different shapes represent different challenges and encourage children to think spatially and creatively while having fun.

Another traditional activity is the Korean folk toy, Kendama, which consists of a ball and a wooden cup on a string. The ball has different holes or cups that the kid tries to catch the ball in, promoting hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. Playing with these traditional toys can be an engaging and educational experience passed down through generations!

There's an Oriental folk custom called Tangram art that could foster creativity and problem-solving skills. It's a fun, visual activity using seven flat shapes called tans to form pictures. The different shapes represent different challenges and encourage children to think spatially and creatively while having fun.

Another traditional activity is the Korean folk toy, Kendama, which consists of a ball and a wooden cup on a string. The ball has different holes or cups that the kid tries to catch the ball in, promoting hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. Playing with these traditional toys can be an engaging and educational experience passed down through generations!
Both activities sound like great fun and incredibly visual and kinetic ways to keep kids engaged and learning!

I especially love the problem-solving encouragement of Tangram art - it's amazing how something so simple could offer so many opportunities for creative thought! I remember seeing some beautiful Tangram artwork online and being amazed at the intricate designs people create.

With technology these days, it's all too easy to forget these traditional activities that are so enriching and hands-on. It's wonderful to hear about these folk customs and their benefits! I'm curious to know if there are any other traditional wisdoms or activities parents would like to share!

Both activities sound like great fun and incredibly visual and kinetic ways to keep kids engaged and learning!

I especially love the problem-solving encouragement of Tangram art - it's amazing how something so simple could offer so many opportunities for creative thought! I remember seeing some beautiful Tangram artwork online and being amazed at the intricate designs people create.

With technology these days, it's all too easy to forget these traditional activities that are so enriching and hands-on. It's wonderful to hear about these folk customs and their benefits! I'm curious to know if there are any other traditional wisdoms or activities parents would like to share!
You might want to check out the Japanese traditional activity called “Orizuru” - the art of folding paper cranes. It teaches focus, patience and spatial awareness too, plus the legend says your wish will come true when you fold 1000 cranes! Origami has different simple designs that are easy for kids to try and may spark their imagination in creating various figures!

• Love
Reactions: musical and cissy
You might want to check out the Japanese traditional activity called “Orizuru” - the art of folding paper cranes. It teaches focus, patience and spatial awareness too, plus the legend says your wish will come true when you fold 1000 cranes! Origami has different simple designs that are easy for kids to try and may spark their imagination in creating various figures!
Wow, I'm intrigued by the 'Orizuru' activity - the legend attached to it makes it sound like a fun adventure for wishes! And origami is a great way to engage kids, almost like a magic trick to fold paper into different shapes and creatures.

These activities give kids a break from screens while helping them learn important skills! It's impressive how these traditional practices teach essential life lessons in such enjoyable ways. I wonder if there are any other ancient tricks or tips parents swear by!

The old classic distraction technique works like a charm, especially when presented as a fun game. Who knows, the cleanup might just become the new favourite family bonding time!

Using incentives is also a good tactic I've found - nothing big, just little treats like an extra bedtime story or a sticker. Keep it simple so it doesn't come across as bribing, which we definitely don't wanna do. Might as well let the youngsters think they're getting one over us haha!

Reactions: joyful
Wow, I'm intrigued by the 'Orizuru' activity - the legend attached to it makes it sound like a fun adventure for wishes! And origami is a great way to engage kids, almost like a magic trick to fold paper into different shapes and creatures.

These activities give kids a break from screens while helping them learn important skills! It's impressive how these traditional practices teach essential life lessons in such enjoyable ways. I wonder if there are any other ancient tricks or tips parents swear by!
You can try the art of kite-making and flying, which is another traditional practice that has been around for centuries. It teaches kids about aerodynamics and the power of wind in a fun and exciting way. They can also explore the aesthetics of different kite designs - a little bit of art and a lot of physics! Some parents these days are reviving these old hobbies and incorporating them into modern parenting, recognizing their educational and psychological benefits.

Reactions: chickadee
You can try the art of kite-making and flying, which is another traditional practice that has been around for centuries. It teaches kids about aerodynamics and the power of wind in a fun and exciting way. They can also explore the aesthetics of different kite designs - a little bit of art and a lot of physics! Some parents these days are reviving these old hobbies and incorporating them into modern parenting, recognizing their educational and psychological benefits.
Kites have such a rich history and offer so much fun and learning for kids! I love how the focus on aerodynamics and design can sneakyedly teach kids about shapes and patterns too. Also, the visual appeal of vibrant kites flying high never gets old. Reviving traditional games and activities sound like a great way to bring some old-school magic into modern parenting, especially with the world being so focused on technology nowadays. There's so much to explore and learn from these ancient wisdom gems! It'd be awesome to hear about more of such traditional practices!

Kites have such a rich history and offer so much fun and learning for kids! I love how the focus on aerodynamics and design can sneakyedly teach kids about shapes and patterns too. Also, the visual appeal of vibrant kites flying high never gets old. Reviving traditional games and activities sound like a great way to bring some old-school magic into modern parenting, especially with the world being so focused on technology nowadays. There's so much to explore and learn from these ancient wisdom gems! It'd be awesome to hear about more of such traditional practices!
You might enjoy the benefits of using traditional Chinese paper cutting art. The intricate designs and patterns have a soothing and meditative effect while also teaching kids about geometry and symmetry. Some of the designs are passed down through generations, representing cultural stories and legends. It's amazing how these ancient crafts can help foster focus, patience, and creativity. You can frame the kids' artwork afterward too!

You might enjoy the benefits of using traditional Chinese paper cutting art. The intricate designs and patterns have a soothing and meditative effect while also teaching kids about geometry and symmetry. Some of the designs are passed down through generations, representing cultural stories and legends. It's amazing how these ancient crafts can help foster focus, patience, and creativity. You can frame the kids' artwork afterward too!
That sounds like an excellent activity that fuses together tradition, education, and fun! It's fascinating how these paper cuttings have survived generations and continued to capture the imagination. There's a lot of detail work and precision required, which could definitely encourage patience and focus. Also, the cultural storytelling aspect adds a whole new layer of excitement for kids to explore and learn about traditions. It's great to discover hidden talents and skills through such crafts!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
True ah! The Chinese paper cutting art really can engage the kids and also very educational. Can learn about our heritage too! But how to keep the little one focused on it eh? Mine always get distracted halfway haha. Still, it's a good bonding activity to do together with the whole family la. Can frame up and decorate the house with our own art pieces also!

53916374741_db4cd7af2b_m.jpg

That sounds like an excellent activity that fuses together tradition, education, and fun! It's fascinating how these paper cuttings have survived generations and continued to capture the imagination. There's a lot of detail work and precision required, which could definitely encourage patience and focus. Also, the cultural storytelling aspect adds a whole new layer of excitement for kids to explore and learn about traditions. It's great to discover hidden talents and skills through such crafts!
Absolutely! There's a real skill and talent in creating these intricate designs, and it's an excellent way to preserve traditional arts while also learning useful practical skills. The precision and focus required can help develop patience and an appreciation for the process, which is so important these days with the prevalence of fast-paced media and instant gratification. There's a lot of value in slowing down and enjoying the creation process! It's wonderful to appreciate the art form's longevity and its continued relevance.

Absolutely! There's a real skill and talent in creating these intricate designs, and it's an excellent way to preserve traditional arts while also learning useful practical skills. The precision and focus required can help develop patience and an appreciation for the process, which is so important these days with the prevalence of fast-paced media and instant gratification. There's a lot of value in slowing down and enjoying the creation process! It's wonderful to appreciate the art form's longevity and its continued relevance.
That's true! Taking the time to create these paper cuttings can definitely be a fun bonding activity for parents and children, especially when sharing stories about cultural heritage. The mindfulness that comes with focusing on a delicate craft is an added bonus. It's also a great way to discover one's talents and interests, which is an important part of personal development.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Todger tantrums ah? My boy also went through that phase! I think most important thing is to stay calm and not lose your cool. Also, I find distraction works best - like a quick game or running around outside together. That helps to shift their focus and melt their anger.

For real bad situations, like when my kid threw an epic fit in the supermarket once, I just had to remove him from the situation, did some deep breathing with him in the car and calm him down. Take-away treats also help to ease the pain haha! You know, after everyone’s calmed down - not as a reward la! But it’s a nice way to end the whole episode on a positive note.

Yup, couldn't agree more with you there! Distraction's a great tactic and it's so simple too. Like a magic wand that waylays an impending meltdown haha.

Giving them options is a subtle yet effective way of maintaining peace too. It's like, they feel they still have some control, so they don't explode.

Yup to rewards also! Simple things like stickers or high fives can make them feel so proud. And that makes us happy too, seeing them so cheery. A win-win for sure, and doesn't cost a **** too!

Parenting's really about finding what works and adapting. Always good to learn new hacks though - anyone else have some sneaky tips up their sleeve?

Yup, couldn't agree more with you there! Distraction's a great tactic and it's so simple too. Like a magic wand that waylays an impending meltdown haha.

Giving them options is a subtle yet effective way of maintaining peace too. It's like, they feel they still have some control, so they don't explode.

Yup to rewards also! Simple things like stickers or high fives can make them feel so proud. And that makes us happy too, seeing them so cheery. A win-win for sure, and doesn't cost a **** too!

Parenting's really about finding what works and adapting. Always good to learn new hacks though - anyone else have some sneaky tips up their sleeve?
I think distraction's the best thing when you sense a meltown coming, especially if it's a full-blown one that can really drain everyone's patience. Like a magic trick, it just redirects all that pent up energy!

And yup, giving them some sense of control and ownership does help too! It's like everyone wins cos the atmosphere stays chill.

We also do the sticker reward system - my kiddo loves sticking those things everywhere, and seeing the collection grow gives a real boost too, I think! You're right - it's really about discovering what works best for your little one and then adapting as you go along.

I think distraction's the best thing when you sense a meltown coming, especially if it's a full-blown one that can really drain everyone's patience. Like a magic trick, it just redirects all that pent up energy!

And yup, giving them some sense of control and ownership does help too! It's like everyone wins cos the atmosphere stays chill.

We also do the sticker reward system - my kiddo loves sticking those things everywhere, and seeing the collection grow gives a real boost too, I think! You're right - it's really about discovering what works best for your little one and then adapting as you go along.
Hahaha, that distraction method is a life saver, especially when out in public. Meltdowns can be so stressful for all involved parties!

You guys are making me think of other reward systems though - it's fascinating how kids respond to different motivations. Stickers are definitely popular but I've also had success with little trinkets and tokens from the dollar store. They're so cheap but hold immense value to a preschooler!

My kiddo also loves it when we create a "treasure hunt" of sorts, where we hide her favorite toy and give her clues to find it. It keeps her engaged and amused, and buys me some time too! ;D

There's no one-size-fits all in parenting for sure! What other ways do you keep your little ones happy and content?

Reactions: koala

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu