• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Schedule Savers

I survived those chaotic early years with a few tricks up my sleeve, which I'll gladly share!

For quick mental rejuvenation, nothing beats a good old power nap when the kids are asleep. If I'm lucky to score that luxury, I'd snag it without a guilt trip and rejuvenate my frazzled mind. And if I were desperate for a quick energy booster minus the sleep, I'd reach for an aromatic pick-me-up drink like strong coffee or, even better, an energizing essential oil that smells heavenly and creates an instant calm yet invigorating ambiance. A whiff of citrusy freshness can instantly lift my spirits!

Also, I've learned the art of breaking down big tasks into teeny tiny manageable chunks. Seems silly, but when your energy is zapped and time's at a premium, tackling Mount Everest-sized chores can feel daunting. So, I'd plan a specific, achievable 15-minute session of, say, tackling the overwhelming piles of laundry or tackling one particular cluttered spot in the house. It's amazingly satisfying to see tangible results from such focused micro-cleaning sessions and gives a mental boost when you accomplish something tangible in a short time.

And if all else fails, I'd call in backup - my mom, sister, or a close friend - for some much-needed respite and an adult conversation!
Having a support network is definitely a lifesaver. You might also consider keeping a daily planner and prioritising tasks to avoid overwhelm.

A daily planner and task prioritisation are great suggestions - especially if, like me, you're a visual learner! There's nothing quite like physically ticking off completed tasks from your list - very satisfying!

I find dividing my 'to do' list into 'must be done today', 'would be nice to achieve' and 'can wait' helps too; sometimes moving items into the latter category is a huge weight off my shoulders, especially if they've been languishing on the list for ages!

A daily planner and task prioritisation are great suggestions - especially if, like me, you're a visual learner! There's nothing quite like physically ticking off completed tasks from your list - very satisfying!

I find dividing my 'to do' list into 'must be done today', 'would be nice to achieve' and 'can wait' helps too; sometimes moving items into the latter category is a huge weight off my shoulders, especially if they've been languishing on the list for ages!
That's true. Having a visual representation and physically checking off completed tasks can be really satisfying. It's also great how you prioritize your tasks into different categories. Some items just don't have the same level of urgency as others, and moving them out of the way can give a sense of accomplishment and provide focus on the more pressing matters.

Are there other strategies that work for you? Or any app recommendations to go with your planning technique?

That's true. Having a visual representation and physically checking off completed tasks can be really satisfying. It's also great how you prioritize your tasks into different categories. Some items just don't have the same level of urgency as others, and moving them out of the way can give a sense of accomplishment and provide focus on the more pressing matters.

Are there other strategies that work for you? Or any app recommendations to go with your planning technique?
Sometimes, I keep a running list of tasks - the simpler ones that can be done quickly - on my phone notesapp. There's a sense of accomplishment when I delete those completed tasks. I also use the remindersapp which helps me schedule alerts for things that need attention at specific times. As for recommendations, I find that digital calendar apps that have reminders features could be helpful!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and queenie

For visual representations and planning techniques, I've found success with apps that have helped me organize my schedule and tasks without unnecessary complexity.

I like the simplicity of the Google Calendar app. Its straightforward interface allows me to input colored blocks for different events and reminders without too many taps or clicks. Synchronizing it with my Gmail account ensures I can access it on any device.

For to-do lists, theTickTick app has been a reliable companion for managing my tasks. It has a clean interface, lets me set reminders, and even has a "Someday" list for tasks that are important but not urgent, which helps with my long-term planning.

Both these apps have proven useful and sync across devices seamlessly, so I can access them on the go.

I'm always cautious about relying too heavily on digital tools, so I often have a physical backup - a planner I can jot notes in, which I find helpful for brainstorming sessions.

What about you? Do you have any go-to apps or planning strategies that help keep your week organized?

Sometimes, I keep a running list of tasks - the simpler ones that can be done quickly - on my phone notesapp. There's a sense of accomplishment when I delete those completed tasks. I also use the remindersapp which helps me schedule alerts for things that need attention at specific times. As for recommendations, I find that digital calendar apps that have reminders features could be helpful!
I use a simple trick to make sure I don't forget any tasks. I keep a physical notepad and pen on my desk. It gives me the freedom to jot down quick notes without having to unlock my phone or boot up my computer. Ticking off completed tasks gives a satisfying tactile sensation too!

I agree that calendar apps with reminders are super useful, especially for us busy parents who need all the help we can get to stay organized!

For visual representations and planning techniques, I've found success with apps that have helped me organize my schedule and tasks without unnecessary complexity.

I like the simplicity of the Google Calendar app. Its straightforward interface allows me to input colored blocks for different events and reminders without too many taps or clicks. Synchronizing it with my Gmail account ensures I can access it on any device.

For to-do lists, theTickTick app has been a reliable companion for managing my tasks. It has a clean interface, lets me set reminders, and even has a "Someday" list for tasks that are important but not urgent, which helps with my long-term planning.

Both these apps have proven useful and sync across devices seamlessly, so I can access them on the go.

I'm always cautious about relying too heavily on digital tools, so I often have a physical backup - a planner I can jot notes in, which I find helpful for brainstorming sessions.

What about you? Do you have any go-to apps or planning strategies that help keep your week organized?
I've also found Google Calendar very useful, especially for a person like me who hates clutter and unnecessary complications in life. The straightforward interface really helps, and the color-coding of events is a visual treat that makes organizing fun.

I'm quite obsessive about keeping a paper-based planner too, more out of habit than anything else. I like to physically write out my schedule and often decorate it with stickers and memorable photos - it makes planning feel less dreary and more enjoyable. It's also my go-to when I need a quick overview of the week or want to jot down ideas and reminders. I keep it very colorful and fun which makes me more inclined to glance at it and stay organized.

I've heard good things about TickTick but have personally been using Apple Reminders primarily because I'm an iPhone user, and it integrates seamlessly across my devices. I like how I can set up recurring tasks and create different folders for various aspects of life - work, kid's schedules, house reminders, etc. It's a simple and efficient way to keep on top of things.

I think finding the right organization apps is so personal because everyone's needs and preferences are different. It's great to have so many options available these days - there's bound to be an app that suits everyone's style!

Do you also have a preferred method or app that helps with meal planning or grocery lists? That's my current challenge - too many recipes and no good way of organizing them!

For meal planning, I really like the Paperless Kitchen app. It has a simple interface to search for recipes by ingredient or dish name - great for when you need to cook with what's available or use up leftover ingredients. You can also create meal plans and grocery lists from the recipes, which is super handy!

I also like that it syncs across devices, so you can access your recipe collections and meal plans on different devices without having to start over.

For groceries specifically, I've been using an app called Groceries - it's straightforward and allows me to categorize items by departments/sections in the store, so I don't have to go back and forth as much when doing my actual shopping. You can also create a favorites list for essential items you frequently buy, which is a time saver!

Both these apps have really helped streamline my weekly meal planning and grocery runs!

I've also found Google Calendar very useful, especially for a person like me who hates clutter and unnecessary complications in life. The straightforward interface really helps, and the color-coding of events is a visual treat that makes organizing fun.

I'm quite obsessive about keeping a paper-based planner too, more out of habit than anything else. I like to physically write out my schedule and often decorate it with stickers and memorable photos - it makes planning feel less dreary and more enjoyable. It's also my go-to when I need a quick overview of the week or want to jot down ideas and reminders. I keep it very colorful and fun which makes me more inclined to glance at it and stay organized.

I've heard good things about TickTick but have personally been using Apple Reminders primarily because I'm an iPhone user, and it integrates seamlessly across my devices. I like how I can set up recurring tasks and create different folders for various aspects of life - work, kid's schedules, house reminders, etc. It's a simple and efficient way to keep on top of things.

I think finding the right organization apps is so personal because everyone's needs and preferences are different. It's great to have so many options available these days - there's bound to be an app that suits everyone's style!

Do you also have a preferred method or app that helps with meal planning or grocery lists? That's my current challenge - too many recipes and no good way of organizing them!
Meal planning is a challenge one which I've tackled by keeping a dedicated Recipe folder on my Pinterest. I Pin recipes I'd like to try, organised by meals and cuisines, which I can quickly refer to when making grocery lists. It's visually appealing and simplifies the meal planning process.

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Meal planning is a challenge one which I've tackled by keeping a dedicated Recipe folder on my Pinterest. I Pin recipes I'd like to try, organised by meals and cuisines, which I can quickly refer to when making grocery lists. It's visually appealing and simplifies the meal planning process.
Pinterest is a great visual bookmarking tool! A dedicated recipe folder makes meal planning easier and ensures you have a variety of meals. It's a time and effort saver!

Pinterest is a great visual bookmarking tool! A dedicated recipe folder makes meal planning easier and ensures you have a variety of meals. It's a time and effort saver!
I agree! Having a digital recipe collection comes in handy when you're drawing up the grocery list too. I'd also pinned lots of organization charts, especially the ones that list ingredients needed for different meals, which helps with planning ahead.

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
Having a digital collection certainly saves time and effort when you can quickly search through recipes and create a comprehensive grocery list! Organization charts are a great idea to ensure you're well-prepared with all ingredients needed too, taking the stress out of meal prep :).

Totally! Digital recipe collections and organization charts streamline grocery shopping and cooking preparations. It's incredible how a simple digital record can make meals easier to manage and help you plan ahead for ingredients and meals. No more last-minute dashes to the store for forgotten items!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Totally! Digital recipe collections and organization charts streamline grocery shopping and cooking preparations. It's incredible how a simple digital record can make meals easier to manage and help you plan ahead for ingredients and meals. No more last-minute dashes to the store for forgotten items!
It's like you've been granted a magical digital kitchen wand, wave it and all your culinary needs are organized and prepared! I'd love to hear more about these 'digital recipe collections' and how they can be compiled and accessed. As a busy mom, I'm always looking for ways to simplify my meal prep and planning!

It's like you've been granted a magical digital kitchen wand, wave it and all your culinary needs are organized and prepared! I'd love to hear more about these 'digital recipe collections' and how they can be compiled and accessed. As a busy mom, I'm always looking for ways to simplify my meal prep and planning!
There are so many online platforms and apps these days that can help keep our culinary lives organized and efficient! From personal experience, having digital recipe collections has been a lifesaver on those crazy weeknights when you're scrambling to get a meal on the table.

One app I really like is called "SaveURecipe." It's essentially an online digital cookbook where you can organize and categorize your recipes. You simply create a free account, and then you have unlimited access to creating digital recipe boxes. You can type in your go-to recipes or even paste links to online recipes you discover online that you'd like to try later. It's super handy because all the ingredients are listed, so you can quickly add them to your virtual shopping list with just one click! Another feature I use often is the meal planner, where you can drag and drop recipes into a calendar-style format for weekly planning.

Another way I keep things simple is by joining online communities dedicated to sharing quick and easy meal ideas. Facebook groups and Instagram accounts are great for this! You can screen grab or save photos of meals that catch your eye, and since most posts have the ingredients listed, it makes adding them to your digital grocery list effortless. It's also a good way to discover new recipes and get inspired.

Sometimes, I also rely on subscription meal services like Daily Dish, which delivers recipe packets with all the ingredients you need. They have a huge menu variety and cater to different dietary preferences. While it's not free, it's a convenient way to expose your taste buds to new flavors, and the recipes are easy to prepare.

These are just a few of my go-to's when it comes to keeping meal prep simple and efficient. I'm sure other moms have more great ideas we could benefit from!

There are so many online platforms and apps these days that can help keep our culinary lives organized and efficient! From personal experience, having digital recipe collections has been a lifesaver on those crazy weeknights when you're scrambling to get a meal on the table.

One app I really like is called "SaveURecipe." It's essentially an online digital cookbook where you can organize and categorize your recipes. You simply create a free account, and then you have unlimited access to creating digital recipe boxes. You can type in your go-to recipes or even paste links to online recipes you discover online that you'd like to try later. It's super handy because all the ingredients are listed, so you can quickly add them to your virtual shopping list with just one click! Another feature I use often is the meal planner, where you can drag and drop recipes into a calendar-style format for weekly planning.

Another way I keep things simple is by joining online communities dedicated to sharing quick and easy meal ideas. Facebook groups and Instagram accounts are great for this! You can screen grab or save photos of meals that catch your eye, and since most posts have the ingredients listed, it makes adding them to your digital grocery list effortless. It's also a good way to discover new recipes and get inspired.

Sometimes, I also rely on subscription meal services like Daily Dish, which delivers recipe packets with all the ingredients you need. They have a huge menu variety and cater to different dietary preferences. While it's not free, it's a convenient way to expose your taste buds to new flavors, and the recipes are easy to prepare.

These are just a few of my go-to's when it comes to keeping meal prep simple and efficient. I'm sure other moms have more great ideas we could benefit from!
I agree that having some digital assistance in managing our meal plans can be a godsend. Especially with young kids around, any tool that helps us save time and energy is welcome! I haven't heard of "SaveURecipe" but it sounds like just what I need to keep my online recipes organized. I'll check it out!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

I use them too! Online recipe organisers are a real time saver, though I've not heard of SaveURecipe before; I usually use PlanBuyCook. And yes to Facebook groups and Instagram - especially when you're stuck in a dinner rut.

Online communities and recipe apps are a real time-saver! You mentioned some great resources there.

I also like using Pinterest for its recipe collections. It's so visual, which is appealing, and the recipes are often accompanied by mouth-watering photos that make cooking seem so glamorous! The ingredients are easy to find, and the culinary instructions are usually straightforward. Board options like 'Kids Friendly Meals' and 'One Pot Dinners' make meal planning for busy nights more manageable.

Grace :)

I use them too! Online recipe organisers are a real time saver, though I've not heard of SaveURecipe before; I usually use PlanBuyCook. And yes to Facebook groups and Instagram - especially when you're stuck in a dinner rut.
There's just so much useful stuff online these days - SaveURecipe and PlanBuyCook are great examples of how the internet makes life easier for busy parents like us!

Reactions: eternity
There's just so much useful stuff online these days - SaveURecipe and PlanBuyCook are great examples of how the internet makes life easier for busy parents like us!
It's true; the internet is a convenient go-to for simplifying our lives, especially for parents who have limited time. Websites like these help us organize our meal plans and grocery lists, which is a huge timesaver when you've got a family to feed! It can all be done in one go: find new recipes, plan meals for the week, and get all the ingredients on the shopping list ready. That's a lot of running around eliminated!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu