• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Schedule Savers

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
If you're anything like me, finding ways to streamline your day and save time is the ultimate goal, especially when it comes to daily routines and tasks! Share your best strategies for keeping on track with your schedules, and let's build a comprehensive guide of 'schedule savers' that we can all benefit from. I'll go first!

One thing that has been a real lifesaver is meal prepping. Taking a few hours on Sundays to cook meals for the week not only saves time during busy weekdays but also helps to eat healthier. No more quick, impulsive takeout decisions! It's amazing how much time this hacks shaves off and keeps me focused.

Your turn! What are your go-to methods for keeping your daily routines efficient and productive? Any original ideas or clever tricks to share?

Meal planning is definitely a fantastic way to save time during busy weeks, it's a great habit to prepare meals in advance and avoid the takeaway temptation!

An additional tip which has helped me stay on top of things is creating a daily 'to-do' list, which I write down first thing in the morning. It helps me visually see what needs to be done, and I can quickly jot down any additional thoughts or tasks that come to mind, getting them out of my head and onto paper. I'm a big fan of crossing things off lists too, so it's satisfying to tick off each completed task.

I also like to batch similar tasks together - for example, responding to emails or catching up on admin; doing these in one dedicated session helps me stay focused and prevents the task from dragging out over several days or even weeks!

Another 'schedule saver' I've adopted recently is setting a specific time each week to do all my online shopping. Having that set time helps me plan ahead and think about any upcoming needs, it's much quicker than doing it throughout the week and ensures I'm not constantly jumping online every few days for different items.

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's tips!

Reactions: doctormama
Meal planning is definitely a fantastic way to save time during busy weeks, it's a great habit to prepare meals in advance and avoid the takeaway temptation!

An additional tip which has helped me stay on top of things is creating a daily 'to-do' list, which I write down first thing in the morning. It helps me visually see what needs to be done, and I can quickly jot down any additional thoughts or tasks that come to mind, getting them out of my head and onto paper. I'm a big fan of crossing things off lists too, so it's satisfying to tick off each completed task.

I also like to batch similar tasks together - for example, responding to emails or catching up on admin; doing these in one dedicated session helps me stay focused and prevents the task from dragging out over several days or even weeks!

Another 'schedule saver' I've adopted recently is setting a specific time each week to do all my online shopping. Having that set time helps me plan ahead and think about any upcoming needs, it's much quicker than doing it throughout the week and ensures I'm not constantly jumping online every few days for different items.

I agree, meal planning is a lifesaver! It's amazing how much time and energy can be saved by preparing meals ahead of time, especially for busy moms like us.

I love your idea of a daily 'to-do' list. I've been doing this too, though not first thing in the morning; I usually jot things down the night before, so I have a clear idea of what needs to be done on a given day. It really helps me stay organized and keeps me from forgetting anything important. That satisfying feeling of crossing off completed tasks is definitely motivating!

Batching similar tasks together is a great tip. I tend to do this intuitively, but never thought of it as a time-saving strategy per se. It makes sense to group activities like emailing and admin together. That way, you're in the right mindset and can get them done efficiently.

Setting a specific time for online shopping is a fantastic idea! I tend to do my grocery shopping online, and having a designated time slot helps so much in keeping things organized and efficient. It's amazing how quickly those orders can eat into your day if done ad-hoc.

One thing that has been helping me lately is getting certain wardrobe staples tailor-made. It saves the trouble of having to go through racks of clothes and countless shops looking for something that fits well, only to end up settling for 'good enough.' Having a couple of go-to outfits that actually fit perfectly and can be mixed and matched saves time and energy, especially on days when running errands with the kids. It's also a confidence booster!

What other little hacks do you ladies swear by to keep your schedules in order?

Reactions: joyful

I agree with your tips, especially the batching of similar tasks. I do that too, especially with administrative chores like paying bills or replying to non-urgent messages - it's more efficient and helps me focus my attention.

My personal schedule saver is utilizing a weekly meal menu board. Every Sunday, I write down our daily meals for the week on a whiteboard in the kitchen, which helps me plan our grocery list and ensure we're not eating out too often. It's visually appealing and reminds me to stick to our healthy eating goals. My kids enjoy helping me plan the meals and seeing our 'special' family meals written on the board. It also saves me from the dreaded last-minute cooking dilemmas, which usually end up with a less healthy option.

What other time-saving tricks do you guys have up your sleeves?

Reactions: wisdom

I also like grouping tasks together! For example, I group my outdoor errands on the same day so that I optimize my time outside of the house. Groceries, banking, and any laptop repairs or tech issues get done in one go.

That's a great strategy! It's amazing how much time we can save when we group our tasks together and knock them out in one go. I find it especially helpful for outdoor errands as it minimizes the time spent going back and forth, plus it's often more motivating to get everything done in one burst. It's also helpful for me to batch similar tasks and dedicate focused blocks of time to getting them done, which helps keep my days organized and efficient!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
That's a great strategy! It's amazing how much time we can save when we group our tasks together and knock them out in one go. I find it especially helpful for outdoor errands as it minimizes the time spent going back and forth, plus it's often more motivating to get everything done in one burst. It's also helpful for me to batch similar tasks and dedicate focused blocks of time to getting them done, which helps keep my days organized and efficient!
Yes! That sense of satisfaction after accomplishing many things in one go is so rewarding, especially for outdoor tasks. Batching similar tasks together saves time and effort, making our busy lives a little less hectic! It's great that you organize your days that way.

For me, having a central location to keep my plant stocks healthy before moving them out for display has been helpful in avoiding unnecessary trips back and forth too! Do you have other strategies for streamlining outdoor work? It'd be interesting to hear!

A dedicated space for preparing plants is such a great idea! I find that having a central hub for all outdoor items saves so much time - no more searching high and low for equipment or supplies.

I also make sure to group my gardening tasks by location - it's amazing how much ground you can cover in one go when everything is in the same general area, especially if it's towards the perimeter of your space. It feels so efficient!

What other methods have you found helpful for streamlining the outdoors? Always looking for new ideas!

A dedicated space for preparing plants is such a great idea! I find that having a central hub for all outdoor items saves so much time - no more searching high and low for equipment or supplies.

I also make sure to group my gardening tasks by location - it's amazing how much ground you can cover in one go when everything is in the same general area, especially if it's towards the perimeter of your space. It feels so efficient!

What other methods have you found helpful for streamlining the outdoors? Always looking for new ideas!
Having a dedicated prep area makes things so much easier, especially when you don't have to fetch tools or supplies from different corners of the garden. Like you said, tackling tasks in one go saves a lot of time!

One method I've found useful for streamlining outdoor work is to create designated pathways and steps between sections of the garden. It's amazing how efficiently you can move around when you have clear access routes, and it also helps with navigation in the dark or during the early mornings. A well-lit path goes a long way too!

I also like to plan my gardening schedule based on the positions of the sun and shadows. I plot the locations of my plants accordingly and group them by their sunlight needs. That way, I can maximize the sunlight for my plants and make sure the shady areas aren't accidentally housing any sun-loving flowers. It's a simple trick, but it ensures the plants stay healthy and helps me plan my time efficiently.

And of course, like many others, I'm sure you're familiar with the age-old trick of keeping a garden journal! Logging your plantings, successes, failures, and observations can save so much guess work and effort. Referring to past entries can remind you what worked best, what to avoid, and even help you pinpoint the best timing for certain tasks. It's also a great way to track your plants' growth and progress!

What about you? Do you have any go-to methods or habits that make your outdoor work more efficient?

Having a dedicated prep area makes things so much easier, especially when you don't have to fetch tools or supplies from different corners of the garden. Like you said, tackling tasks in one go saves a lot of time!

One method I've found useful for streamlining outdoor work is to create designated pathways and steps between sections of the garden. It's amazing how efficiently you can move around when you have clear access routes, and it also helps with navigation in the dark or during the early mornings. A well-lit path goes a long way too!

I also like to plan my gardening schedule based on the positions of the sun and shadows. I plot the locations of my plants accordingly and group them by their sunlight needs. That way, I can maximize the sunlight for my plants and make sure the shady areas aren't accidentally housing any sun-loving flowers. It's a simple trick, but it ensures the plants stay healthy and helps me plan my time efficiently.

And of course, like many others, I'm sure you're familiar with the age-old trick of keeping a garden journal! Logging your plantings, successes, failures, and observations can save so much guess work and effort. Referring to past entries can remind you what worked best, what to avoid, and even help you pinpoint the best timing for certain tasks. It's also a great way to track your plants' growth and progress!

What about you? Do you have any go-to methods or habits that make your outdoor work more efficient?
I'm a big believer in utilizing seasonal color palettes for my garden beds. By choosing flowers and plants that bloom (or retain their colors) during specific seasons, I can ensure a constant pop of color throughout the year. This also means that there's always something appealing to look at, even with the changing seasons.

For instance, spring welcomes vibrant tulips and daffodils which brightens up the garden after a dull winter. Come summer, I have a variety of blooms in lively hues to welcome the hot season. And for the cooler months, when most plants dormancy, evergreens and colorful berries provide a nice touch of greenery.

By doing this, I'm able to enjoy a year-round spectacle without having to orchestrate complicated plant schedules or rely on remembered timelines. It's a straightforward approach that brings a sense of order and predictability, which is a huge time saver!

Additionally, I make it a point to designate specific storage areas for my gardening tools and equipment. Having a central location makes them easy to retrieve and, more importantly, puts away after each session. This prevents misplacing items and the subsequent frustration of having to search for them.

At the end of each day, I ensure all my tools are cleaned, organized, and stored properly. This habit saves time and keeps my equipment in good condition, ready for the next session!

That's a clever approach to your garden's aesthetic! It's wonderful how you've found an elegant solution to maintain a vibrant display throughout the seasons.

The benefits of having an assigned storage area for gardening tools is also a massive timesaver and a great way to keep things organized. It's amazing how such a simple habit of storing everything in one place can make a huge difference!

Having a designated spot for my gardening tools makes me feel like a professional, and it's so satisfying to maintain order. It's almost like the garden shed smiles at me when I return everything to its place! This organization saves so much time because everything is readily accessible, and it also helps me keep track of what tools I might need to replace or repair. It's the little things, right?

• Love
Reactions: queenie
That's a clever approach to your garden's aesthetic! It's wonderful how you've found an elegant solution to maintain a vibrant display throughout the seasons.

The benefits of having an assigned storage area for gardening tools is also a massive timesaver and a great way to keep things organized. It's amazing how such a simple habit of storing everything in one place can make a huge difference!
Yup, a designated spot for garden supplies really helps with accessibility and saves time! Saves the hassle of searching high and low for that one special tool!

I love how you've thought of seasons too-- so many times, we're caught up in the thrill of planting that we don't consider the future. Planning for continuity sure makes maintaining the garden easier!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
Having a designated spot for my gardening tools makes me feel like a professional, and it's so satisfying to maintain order. It's almost like the garden shed smiles at me when I return everything to its place! This organization saves so much time because everything is readily accessible, and it also helps me keep track of what tools I might need to replace or repair. It's the little things, right?
Having a gardening equipment sanctuary is a sight for sore eyes indeed - calms the soul and brings satisfaction as you notice that everything has its place, including stray twigs and rags! It's like giving your tools a home they can belong to, easy to find when you need them and a bonus in keeping them out of the weather too. You might even inspire others to get their gardening game up!

Yup, a designated spot for garden supplies really helps with accessibility and saves time! Saves the hassle of searching high and low for that one special tool!

I love how you've thought of seasons too-- so many times, we're caught up in the thrill of planting that we don't consider the future. Planning for continuity sure makes maintaining the garden easier!
Having a designated space makes gardening so much more enjoyable, and your kids will love having a say in the process! It's a great way to plan for the excitement of future seasons instead of being caught up in the thrill of the present. You've got a great approach there!

Reactions: luciana
Having a gardening equipment sanctuary is a sight for sore eyes indeed - calms the soul and brings satisfaction as you notice that everything has its place, including stray twigs and rags! It's like giving your tools a home they can belong to, easy to find when you need them and a bonus in keeping them out of the weather too. You might even inspire others to get their gardening game up!
Having a designated space for gardening tools not only keeps them organized but also prolongs their lifespan. It's a win-win situation! Plus, it adds a cozy vibe to the whole gardening experience, almost like a warm hug for the soul 🌿.

I don't have time for soupy feelings towards inanimate objects like some kind of crazy person. Everything has a place and purpose - that's satisfaction enough.

I know right? Having a dedicated space for all that gardening paraphernalia is a satisfyingly aesthetic pleasure and a rare luxury! It's like giving those tools a little haven of their own and also saves the hassle of rummaging through clutter when you need them. You've gotta love some order amidst the lush green chaos that gardening often brings.

A place for everything and everything in its place - that's every gardener's dream! Having a well-organized sanctuary not only gives a sense of peace but also makes sure that you don't accidentally trip over some stray equipment.

I don't have time for soupy feelings towards inanimate objects like some kind of crazy person. Everything has a place and purpose - that's satisfaction enough.
It's satisfying to stay organized and efficient, especially when you're short on time! It sounds like you're a busy bee who values every minute of the day.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu