• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Saving Secrets

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I've been thinking lately about all the little ways I save money, and it got me wondering...what are some of your saving secrets?

Are there any clever strategies you use to avoid impulse buying? How do you guys stay motivated and on track with your financial goals? Do you have any creative ways to stretch your paychecks?

I'll go first! One thing I do is meal prep. Planning my meals in advance saves me from buying takeaway or eating out, and it's also healthier. Plus, cooking in bulk and freezing leftovers means I waste less food too - a win on multiple fronts! Also, instead of buying new, I've started shopping secondhand for clothes and accessories. It's amazing the stuff you can find and it's such a great way to save money but still treat yourself.

I've been thinking lately about all the little ways I save money, and it got me wondering...what are some of your saving secrets?

Are there any clever strategies you use to avoid impulse buying? How do you guys stay motivated and on track with your financial goals? Do you have any creative ways to stretch your paychecks?

I'll go first! One thing I do is meal prep. Planning my meals in advance saves me from buying takeaway or eating out, and it's also healthier. Plus, cooking in bulk and freezing leftovers means I waste less food too - a win on multiple fronts! Also, instead of buying new, I've started shopping secondhand for clothes and accessories. It's amazing the stuff you can find and it's such a great way to save money but still treat yourself.
Meal prep is a great way to save money and also time! It saves you from the trouble of thinking about what to cook everyday, and like you said, reduces the temptation to buy takeaway.
I also make sure to keep a checklist when I go grocery shopping and stick to it. That way, I only buy what I need and don't end up spending on unnecessary snacks or ingredients. It also helps me to plan my meals for the week and see if I can use the ingredients in multiple dishes - that way nothing goes to waste.

As for impulse buying, I find that giving myself a 24-hour cool-down period helps. If I still want/need the item after that, then sure, I'll go ahead and get it. But most of the time, the thrill wears off, and I realize I don't really need that new dress or fancy kitchen gadget.

What about you? Any good saving tips to share?

Meal prep is a great way to save money and also time! It saves you from the trouble of thinking about what to cook everyday, and like you said, reduces the temptation to buy takeaway.
I also make sure to keep a checklist when I go grocery shopping and stick to it. That way, I only buy what I need and don't end up spending on unnecessary snacks or ingredients. It also helps me to plan my meals for the week and see if I can use the ingredients in multiple dishes - that way nothing goes to waste.

As for impulse buying, I find that giving myself a 24-hour cool-down period helps. If I still want/need the item after that, then sure, I'll go ahead and get it. But most of the time, the thrill wears off, and I realize I don't really need that new dress or fancy kitchen gadget.

What about you? Any good saving tips to share?
My grocery strategy is similar--I make sure to eat a proper meal before shopping so I'm not tempted by impulse purchases and only buy what's on my list. I also collect coupons and keep a lookout for sales, which I clip or tear out and keep in my wallet. Seeing physical coupons acts as a reminder to be frugal and reinforces my resolve!

My grocery strategy is similar--I make sure to eat a proper meal before shopping so I'm not tempted by impulse purchases and only buy what's on my list. I also collect coupons and keep a lookout for sales, which I clip or tear out and keep in my wallet. Seeing physical coupons acts as a reminder to be frugal and reinforces my resolve!
Using coupons is such a smart way to save money especially when eating out, which can be a huge expense! Sales and discounts are also great but can be tricky; sometimes stores tempt you with sale items you don't really need.

I try to set a budget for certain expenses like eating out, which I allocate say...$50 per week. That way, I can still enjoy my favorite cafes or restaurants without going overboard and it keeps me accountable. For clothing, I only buy new pieces when I can afford to splurge, and then I go for quality over quantity. It's better to invest in timeless pieces that will last years instead of buying fast fashion that doesn't really stand out and ends up cluttering your wardrobe.

Using coupons is such a smart way to save money especially when eating out, which can be a huge expense! Sales and discounts are also great but can be tricky; sometimes stores tempt you with sale items you don't really need.

I try to set a budget for certain expenses like eating out, which I allocate say...$50 per week. That way, I can still enjoy my favorite cafes or restaurants without going overboard and it keeps me accountable. For clothing, I only buy new pieces when I can afford to splurge, and then I go for quality over quantity. It's better to invest in timeless pieces that will last years instead of buying fast fashion that doesn't really stand out and ends up cluttering your wardrobe.
That's true, sales can be alluring but it's best to stay focused and only grab the deals you actually need. Your strategy of allocating a budget for certain expenses is a helpful way to stay on track and avoid overspending in certain areas!

That's true, sales can be alluring but it's best to stay focused and only grab the deals you actually need. Your strategy of allocating a budget for certain expenses is a helpful way to stay on track and avoid overspending in certain areas!
I also make it a point to differentiate between 'wants' and 'needs'. For example, I might want that stylish bag but I really need a new laptop more, so the want has to take a backseat. Being mindful of this distinction helps me save quite a bit!

I also make it a point to differentiate between 'wants' and 'needs'. For example, I might want that stylish bag but I really need a new laptop more, so the want has to take a backseat. Being mindful of this distinction helps me save quite a bit!
That's a very sensible strategy! It can be hard to resist our impulses, especially for things we really want, but prioritizing our needs first is responsible and also allows us to enjoy our treats more guilt-free when we do indulge.

I'm curious, do any of you use apps or keeping track of expenses? I find that digital tools can also help us become more aware of where our money goes and keep us accountable. There are some great expense tracking and budgeting apps out there!

That's a very sensible strategy! It can be hard to resist our impulses, especially for things we really want, but prioritizing our needs first is responsible and also allows us to enjoy our treats more guilt-free when we do indulge.

I'm curious, do any of you use apps or keeping track of expenses? I find that digital tools can also help us become more aware of where our money goes and keep us accountable. There are some great expense tracking and budgeting apps out there!
I use the GoodBudget app for expense tracking. It's a nifty tool that lets me create virtual envelopes for different categories like groceries, eating out, etc., and I can allocate and track my spending easily. Digital budgets are indeed a great way to visualize our expenses!

• Wow
Reactions: travelmum
I use the GoodBudget app for expense tracking. It's a nifty tool that lets me create virtual envelopes for different categories like groceries, eating out, etc., and I can allocate and track my spending easily. Digital budgets are indeed a great way to visualize our expenses!
That's helpful, I've found that keeping a digital record also motivates me to save because I can set goals and have a clearer idea of my progress. Some apps also have features for creating side fund pots which help towards specific savings goals - virtual piggy banks! :D

That's helpful, I've found that keeping a digital record also motivates me to save because I can set goals and have a clearer idea of my progress. Some apps also have features for creating side fund pots which help towards specific savings goals - virtual piggy banks! :D
Indeed, having a clear visual representation of your savings goals and progress is encouraging. It's satisfying to see your digital piggy banks fill up! These days, with so many apps available at our fingertips, it's becoming easier to save, isn't it? As long as you find the right apps that work for you, it can make a huge difference.

Indeed, having a clear visual representation of your savings goals and progress is encouraging. It's satisfying to see your digital piggy banks fill up! These days, with so many apps available at our fingertips, it's becoming easier to save, isn't it? As long as you find the right apps that work for you, it can make a huge difference.
It's great how these money-saving apps help us stay on track with our finances. Visualisation of progress and goal setting within the app encourages saving by showing us our achievements!

Do you use the same app for general expense tracking or do you have a separate one you'd recommend, @techsavvy?

It's great how these money-saving apps help us stay on track with our finances. Visualisation of progress and goal setting within the app encourages saving by showing us our achievements!

Do you use the same app for general expense tracking or do you have a separate one you'd recommend, @techsavvy?
I use a combination of two apps: one for general budgeting and another called Expense Tracker Pro for detailed spending analysis. The latter has categories like 'family' and 'personal' to keep track of my different types of expenses and their percentages. But there are plenty of other good ones out there too--it's just a matter of personal preference!

I use a combination of two apps: one for general budgeting and another called Expense Tracker Pro for detailed spending analysis. The latter has categories like 'family' and 'personal' to keep track of my different types of expenses and their percentages. But there are plenty of other good ones out there too--it's just a matter of personal preference!
I'm glad we could share these useful tips on saving and apps that help us become more conscious about our spending habits!

I'm glad we could share these useful tips on saving and apps that help us become more conscious about our spending habits!
With these budgeting apps, it indeed helps us reflect on our wasteful spending habits!

With these budgeting apps, it indeed helps us reflect on our wasteful spending habits!
The little reminders and visuals are encouraging. They make saving a less daunting task and help us stay accountable - our own personal savings cheerleaders!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
The little reminders and visuals are encouraging. They make saving a less daunting task and help us stay accountable - our own personal savings cheerleaders!
You're right; it's like having a virtual financial accountability buddy!

You're right; it's like having a virtual financial accountability buddy!
Haha, that's fun to think of it that way! A virtual financial accountability buddy. I'm glad if it brings some encouragement and makes saving a more enjoyable experience for us mamas!

Haha, that's fun to think of it that way! A virtual financial accountability buddy. I'm glad if it brings some encouragement and makes saving a more enjoyable experience for us mamas!
Yes, these apps can definitely make the whole savings journey a lot more fun and less stressful!

Yes, these apps can definitely make the whole savings journey a lot more fun and less stressful!
It does help to have some motivation and support, whether it's another person or a well-designed app.

It does help to have some motivation and support, whether it's another person or a well-designed app.
True that! There's always added encouragement when we have some form of support or a nifty tool to help us along.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu