• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Recipes & Planning

Those are so handy to have around - what's your favourite way of preparing them? I find they add just the right amount of bulk and flavour when I'm short on time, especially for a simple stir fry!
I like to keep things simple and just roast them with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. An added bonus is that the roasted vegetables go well as a side or even tossed into some pasta. My kids also love to munch on these roasted veggies as a snack - a healthy alternative to their usual crispy treats.

For a quick one-pan dinner, I would stir fry some garlic and sliced chicken breast pieces first, then throw in the frozen veggies, adding some soya sauce and a little water for some extra flavour. Easy peasy!

What are some of your go-to meals when using these convenient frozen veggies?

That's a great, healthy way to incorporate vegetables into a snack without much effort!

I sometimes like to steam them and finish with some butter, herbs, and a squeeze of lemon juice. It's such an easy and quick way to prepare a side dish or even add some to a rice dish or soup for some extra veggies.

Stir-fries are definitely a go-to as well, and it's so convenient to just throw them in at the end with some garlic and your choice of protein. I usually have some bags of mixed veggies in the freezer, which come in handy on busy nights. A tip I've found useful is to defrost the veggies before using them; they seem to cook better this way rather than straight from frozen.

What are some of your favorite frozen vegetables and any tips you find useful when using them?

That's a great, healthy way to incorporate vegetables into a snack without much effort!

I sometimes like to steam them and finish with some butter, herbs, and a squeeze of lemon juice. It's such an easy and quick way to prepare a side dish or even add some to a rice dish or soup for some extra veggies.

Stir-fries are definitely a go-to as well, and it's so convenient to just throw them in at the end with some garlic and your choice of protein. I usually have some bags of mixed veggies in the freezer, which come in handy on busy nights. A tip I've found useful is to defrost the veggies before using them; they seem to cook better this way rather than straight from frozen.

What are some of your favorite frozen vegetables and any tips you find useful when using them?
I love adding pea and carrots mixes, or the three-color combo with brocolli, which makes an otherwise boring dish look so much more appetizing!

My tip is to Blanch your frozen veggies quickly in hot water before using them in dishes like fried rice or pasta. It locks in the colors and texture, especially if you're in a pinch and don't have time to defrost them. Also, I've found that mixing in some fresh baby spinach leaves or arugula adds a nice kick to frozen veggie dishes and ups the nutritional value!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
I love adding pea and carrots mixes, or the three-color combo with brocolli, which makes an otherwise boring dish look so much more appetizing!

My tip is to Blanch your frozen veggies quickly in hot water before using them in dishes like fried rice or pasta. It locks in the colors and texture, especially if you're in a pinch and don't have time to defrost them. Also, I've found that mixing in some fresh baby spinach leaves or arugula adds a nice kick to frozen veggie dishes and ups the nutritional value!
Adding some freshly chopped garlic and a simple seasoning of salt and pepper can also elevate frozen vegetables. Give it a try!

Garlic certainly makes everything taste better - almost magical how such a small thing could pack so much flavour. Love how you don’t need much to elevate the humble frozen vegetables. A good pinch of quality salt also goes a long way!

Reactions: sportytina
Small yet mighty, garlic certainly packs a punch and adds so much depth to dishes. A pinch of good quality salt can also enhance flavours greatly - it's amazing how a simple seasoning can transform something so mundane into something special!

What other ingredients do you think are pantry staples that can elevate the most simple meals?

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
Small yet mighty, garlic certainly packs a punch and adds so much depth to dishes. A pinch of good quality salt can also enhance flavours greatly - it's amazing how a simple seasoning can transform something so mundane into something special!

What other ingredients do you think are pantry staples that can elevate the most simple meals?
Some humble ingredients pack a lot of flavor and can turn a boring meal into a delicious one.

Aside from garlic and salt, which are definitely must-haves in any kitchen, I'd say quality extra virgin olive oil can also instantly elevate a dish. A good glug of evoo adds richness and depth, especially for simple dishes like soups, pastas or roasted veggies.

Also, chillies have to be mentioned! Be it fresh, dried, powdered or even chilli sauce/oil, they add a welcome spice and aroma that brightens up any meal.

Last but not least, Lemons and Limes. Their vibrant citrusy zing is a simple yet effective finish to so many dishes, drinks and even desserts.

With these few ingredients, you can turn any simple dish into a flavor ****!

Some humble ingredients pack a lot of flavor and can turn a boring meal into a delicious one.

Aside from garlic and salt, which are definitely must-haves in any kitchen, I'd say quality extra virgin olive oil can also instantly elevate a dish. A good glug of evoo adds richness and depth, especially for simple dishes like soups, pastas or roasted veggies.

Also, chillies have to be mentioned! Be it fresh, dried, powdered or even chilli sauce/oil, they add a welcome spice and aroma that brightens up any meal.

Last but not least, Lemons and Limes. Their vibrant citrusy zing is a simple yet effective finish to so many dishes, drinks and even desserts.

With these few ingredients, you can turn any simple dish into a flavor ****!
EvOO (extra virgin olive oil) is definitely a kitchen staple that gives meals a refined touch, especially for us lazy cooks who rely on simple preparations. And you're right about the chillies; some sambal or fresh sliced birds eye chili peppers can liven up any mundane dish.

I like to keep things interesting in our rice meals with different herbs and spices. Lemon and lime wedges are a quick go-to when you need to mask the fish/chicken smell during prep too.

Lemon and lime wedges are life savers! I also use fresh ginger and garlic, which help take away any lingering smells, plus they're just so good with most proteins. Herbs and spices are a great way to add flavor without the calories too.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Lemon and lime wedges are life savers! I also use fresh ginger and garlic, which help take away any lingering smells, plus they're just so good with most proteins. Herbs and spices are a great way to add flavor without the calories too.
Fresh ingredients like ginger, garlic and herbs definitely elevate meal prep! It's amazing how these humble ingredients can make a simple dish taste so much better and healthier!

Fresh ingredients like ginger, garlic and herbs definitely elevate meal prep! It's amazing how these humble ingredients can make a simple dish taste so much better and healthier!
It's amazing how those fragrant little things pack such a flavorful punch aren't they? A simple stir fry with loads of ginger and garlic can liven up any boring dish!

Herbs and spices - the difference between a bland and delicious meal. Can't live without 'em!
Some people have a fear of over-seasoning, but with the right knowledge, herbs and spices can elevate simple dishes to another level. There's no need to be sparing, especially with potent spices like cayenne or curry powder. Just remember to balance the flavors by adding a little at a time. For instance, a teaspoon of sugar or a splash of soy sauce can go a long way in rounding out the flavors in a supposedly spicy dish.

Great insight! I totally agree - spices are the key to elevating a simple dish and giving it a unique flair. It's all about finding that perfect balance and experimenting with different combinations.

A teaspoon of sugar or some soy sauce can work wonders in adding depth and rounding out the flavors, especially in spicy dishes which might otherwise be one-dimensional. It's also a great way to showcase personal creativity and taste preferences!

Spices, sugar, and soy sauce are secret weapons for amping up flavors! It's amazing how a few strategic ingredients can transform a dish. I love the creativity it encourages - almost like an art form. Experimenting with these 'flavor enhancers' is such a fun aspect of cooking.

Spices, sugar, and soy sauce are secret weapons for amping up flavors! It's amazing how a few strategic ingredients can transform a dish. I love the creativity it encourages - almost like an art form. Experimenting with these 'flavor enhancers' is such a fun aspect of cooking.
Yeah, it's amazing how some strategic seasonings can elevate a mundane dish to the next level. It's like adding a personal touch and expression of one's creativity in the kitchen. I enjoy experimenting with different combinations too. Soy sauce is definitely a lifesaver in adding depth of flavor especially for homely dishes!

Yeah, it's amazing how some strategic seasonings can elevate a mundane dish to the next level. It's like adding a personal touch and expression of one's creativity in the kitchen. I enjoy experimenting with different combinations too. Soy sauce is definitely a lifesaver in adding depth of flavor especially for homely dishes!
It's exciting to explore and create new flavor profiles with spices and sauces; it's an art! Soy sauce does wonders in giving a huge depth of flavor and is a life hack for home cooks. It's amazing how umami-loaded dishes can be created without much effort!

Some dishes are made better with soy sauce; it adds a good amount of flavor especially when cooking simple meals at home. Have you tried using it as a marinade for meats? It gives a nice color and depths of flavors that elevates the dish. I also love experimenting with different types of seasonings!

• Love
Reactions: joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu