• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Recipes & Planning

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone! We all know how time-consuming and sometimes daunting planning meals can be, so let's share our favorite go-to recipes here and help each other out! Whether you're an experienced home cook or just starting out, feel free to chime in with your best meal ideas, timesaving cooking tips, or even specific ingredients you love and want to discuss. Let's fill this forum with tasty inspiration! Each dish is a chance to spice things up or keep it classic - share yours today!

Feel free to include cooking methods, links to recipes, or even photos if you've got them - the more mouthwatering the better!

A great mid-week meal I turn to often is a simple yet tasty chicken and rice dish. It's versatile, easy to prepare, and uses ingredients most of us have on hand regularly:

Chicken & Rice Skillet Meal

Ingredients:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups of long-grain rice (I prefer Basmati)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme (or 3-4 teaspoons of fresh chopped thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges, for serving

Instructions:

1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until they're browned for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.

2. In the same skillet, add the onion and garlic, sautéing for about 3 minutes until the onion softens. Then, stir in the rice, ensuring each grain is coated in the oil and cooking for a further 2 minutes.

3. Pour in the chicken broth, thyme, oregano, and season with salt and pepper. Stir everything well, ensuring the rice is properly combined with the liquids. Bring the mixture to a boil.

4. Return the chicken to the pan, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through.

5. Serve it up with a squeeze of lemon juice over each portion.

This recipe is quick, tasty, and requires minimal prep work - perfect for busy nights! It's also easy to customize with your favorite herbs or spices, or by adding in extra veggies if you have some that need using up.

It's a family favorite in our house and I'd love to hear your thoughts if you give it a go!

That sounds delicious and super quick and easy, which is my kind of mid-week meal! I love the versatility of it too - will definitely be giving this one a go as I have all the ingredients at hand most of the time. Thanks for sharing!

I'm all about quick, easy and versatile mid-week meals. So glad you have most of the ingredients on hand - it makes life so much easier! Enjoy giving it a go!
Great! Quick and tasty mid-week meals are a mom's best friend. I usually rely on versatile ingredients too--less shopping and more time saving!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and queenie
I'm all about quick, easy and versatile mid-week meals. So glad you have most of the ingredients on hand - it makes life so much easier! Enjoy giving it a go!
Life's too short to spend hours in the kitchen, so here's a quick and tasty recipe that's a mum's best friend! You won't regret having this go-to meal when you're tired from a long day.

Quick and easy dinner, mid-week? Sounds like a walk in the park! I've got a couple of go-to recipes for such occasions. Can't wait to give this one a shot!

Reactions: musical
Life's too short to spend hours in the kitchen, so here's a quick and tasty recipe that's a mum's best friend! You won't regret having this go-to meal when you're tired from a long day.
Simple yet satisfying! I'm all for anything that gets a yummy dinner on the table fast without slaving over a hot stove. Would you like to try this hassle-free recipe?

**Sausage and Pepper One Pan Meal**

Ingredients:
- 4 sausages of your choice
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or ½ tsp. dried)
- 1 tbsp. oil 
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- Salt & pepper 

Method:

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausages and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes, then set aside.

2. In the same pan, cook onions, peppers, and garlic for about 5 minutes until softened.

3. Mix cornstarch with chicken broth; pour into the pan. Stir in salt and pepper.

4. Place sausages back into the pan, ensuring they're coated in sauce. Cook for another 10 mins until everything's heated through and sauce has thickened. Serve it up!

This easy peasy meal is a crowd-pleaser and takes no time at all - bonus! What other hassle-free recipes do you guys have up your sleeves for busy nights? I'd love to hear!

Simple meals are the best when you've had a busy day. This pasta recipe takes no time at all and is a hit with kids too so a win for mum! Just cook your favorite pasta according to packet instructions, and toss with pesto, cherry tomatoes, and boiled potatoes. Top with Parmesan and a squeeze of lemon juice - easy peasy and delish!

Simple yet satisfying! I'm all for anything that gets a yummy dinner on the table fast without slaving over a hot stove. Would you like to try this hassle-free recipe?

**Sausage and Pepper One Pan Meal**

Ingredients:
- 4 sausages of your choice
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or ½ tsp. dried)
- 1 tbsp. oil 
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- Salt & pepper 

Method:

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausages and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes, then set aside.

2. In the same pan, cook onions, peppers, and garlic for about 5 minutes until softened.

3. Mix cornstarch with chicken broth; pour into the pan. Stir in salt and pepper.

4. Place sausages back into the pan, ensuring they're coated in sauce. Cook for another 10 mins until everything's heated through and sauce has thickened. Serve it up!

This easy peasy meal is a crowd-pleaser and takes no time at all - bonus! What other hassle-free recipes do you guys have up your sleeves for busy nights? I'd love to hear!
I usually just cook enough rice and serve it with different side dishes through the week. Tonight, I will try your one-pan recipe; it sounds flavorful and easy to clean up! I'm all ears (and stomach) for more such effortless dinner ideas that are tasty too.

One pot meals are a blessing when you're short on time and energy!

Some of my go-to's include:

- Sheet pan dinners - toss your choice of veggies and protein (like sausages, chicken thighs or firm tofu) with olive oil, salt & pepper and roast on a lined sheet pan for an easy cleanup.

- Stir fries are another favourite - quick to throw together and incredibly versatile. Use up whatever veggies you have on hand, and some pre-cooked proteins like leftover chicken/beef or even canned beans make a great addition.

- Pasta dishes like a simple tomato sauce or a creamy carbonara are tasty and easy to whip up.

One pot wonders are the best! Would love to hear any tasty and effortless recipes you guys swear by too!

I adore one-pot meals - they're a lifeline on busy days!

My top picks include:

- Chili: brown some mince, add spices, tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, and some hidden veggies like grated carrots. Delicious with rice or baked potatoes.

- Chicken & rice - toss in some frozen mixed veggies, and season with herbs de Provence.

- Veggie soup - saute some onion/garlic, add stock, loads of veggies, and herbs. Blenderize half for a creamy texture.

So easy and tasty!

I'm a big fan of one-pot pastas - so easy and delicious, and you don't need to spend hours prep cooking. For a basic recipe, saute some onion and garlic in your pot, then add in diced tomatoes and your choice of herbs (basil is my go-to). Throw in your pasta, cover with a lid, and cook until the pasta is done - the sauce reduces while cooking, creating a rich flavor.

You can also easily turn this into a heartier meal by adding in some cooked chicken or sausages, or going all out veggie with various roasted veggies like zucchini and eggplant. So versatile and tasty!

Reactions: bananarama

My top picks include:

- Chili: brown some mince, add spices, tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, and some hidden veggies like grated carrots. Delicious with rice or baked potatoes.

- Chicken & rice - toss in some frozen mixed veggies, and season with herbs de Provence.

- Veggie soup - saute some onion/garlic, add stock, loads of veggies, and herbs. Blenderize half for a creamy texture.

So easy and tasty!
Mmm, your chili recipe sounds yummy! I also enjoy one-pot meals as they're quick, easy, and saves on washing up too!

My go-to is a heartwarming laksa, a Peranakan spice-based soup meal. It's a blend of coconut milk, spicy paste, fish stock, and rice noodles, topped with various ingredients like cockles, prawns, and beansprouts. So delicious and easy to throw together!

I also love a good ol' ratatouille - it's a simple dump-and-stew French dish packed with hearty veggies like eggplant, capsicums, and tomatoes. Perfect comfort food, and you can serve it with rice or noodles too.

My top picks include:

So easy and tasty!
Simple yet tasty recipes are the best for busy parents! My go-to one-pot meal is a hearty seafood stew. Saute some garlic and onion, add tomato puree, mixed seafood (I get the frozen kind), some white wine, and seafood stock. Throw in some herbs like thyme and let it simmer till everything’s cooked. Serve with crusty bread - Yums!

What's your go-to quick and easy meal?

Simple yet tasty recipes are the best for busy parents! My go-to one-pot meal is a hearty seafood stew. Saute some garlic and onion, add tomato puree, mixed seafood (I get the frozen kind), some white wine, and seafood stock. Throw in some herbs like thyme and let it simmer till everything’s cooked. Serve with crusty bread - Yums!

What's your go-to quick and easy meal?
My family's favorite quick dinner is stir-fry vegetables with pre-marinated lean pork strips. It's a simple one-pan meal ready in under 15 minutes. I use a variety of fresh veggies, and the frozen meat ensures convenience. It's a balanced, tasty dish with little prep work required.

My family's favorite quick dinner is stir-fry vegetables with pre-marinated lean pork strips. It's a simple one-pan meal ready in under 15 minutes. I use a variety of fresh veggies, and the frozen meat ensures convenience. It's a balanced, tasty dish with little prep work required.
Convenient, tasty and nutritious meals are a mom's best friend! That's a great idea to use frozen pre-marinated meat; it cuts down on preparation time drastically. Throwing in some frozen mixed peppers and onion strips would also make this meal even more colorful and delicious.

Reactions: travelmum
It's all about that quick and convenient dinner win! We can just pop those frozen peppers and onions into the pan too, a great little addition to have on hand for sure - thanks for the tip!

It's all about that quick and convenient dinner win! We can just pop those frozen peppers and onions into the pan too, a great little addition to have on hand for sure - thanks for the tip!
Yup, those frozen pepper and onion mixes are a lifesaver! Handy dandy for a quick stir fry or omurice.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu