• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising the multiples

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting my own multiples! Not only am I excited about welcoming these new lives into the world, but also about the challenge of parenting them and helping them grow up healthy and happy. Any tips on raising two or more at the same time would be so welcome - what have your experiences taught you? What should I prepare for, and what can I do now to make life easier later on down the line? Can anyone recommend helpful resources - books, apps, websites, etc. - that supported you in parenting multiples?

I'm thinking of starting my own multiples! Not only am I excited about welcoming these new lives into the world, but also about the challenge of parenting them and helping them grow up healthy and happy. Any tips on raising two or more at the same time would be so welcome - what have your experiences taught you? What should I prepare for, and what can I do now to make life easier later on down the line? Can anyone recommend helpful resources - books, apps, websites, etc. - that supported you in parenting multiples?
Being a parent to multiples is a unique experience! My best piece of advice will be to treasure the moments and capture the memories because it can get really chaotic, especially during the initial years. Having a routine and staying organized is crucial. Make sure you have lots of support and help because you will need it!

For helpful resources, I recommend the book "Taking Care of Twins" by Dr. Nina Brown. It's an excellent guide with valuable insights into the science behind multiple births and practical advice for the first 12 months. Also, check out online communities like "Twinlove" on Facebook; parents share a wealth of experience there.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Being a parent to multiples is a unique experience! My best piece of advice will be to treasure the moments and capture the memories because it can get really chaotic, especially during the initial years. Having a routine and staying organized is crucial. Make sure you have lots of support and help because you will need it!

For helpful resources, I recommend the book "Taking Care of Twins" by Dr. Nina Brown. It's an excellent guide with valuable insights into the science behind multiple births and practical advice for the first 12 months. Also, check out online communities like "Twinlove" on Facebook; parents share a wealth of experience there.
Thank you for the recommendations! I'll be sure to check those out. Yes, I'm hoping to establish a routine and stay as organised as possible – any suggestions on methods that worked for you? I'm thinking of using a planner or digital apps to keep track of appointments, milestones, and progress. Also, did you find that having a routine or specific strategies helped with bonding individually with each child?

Thank you for the recommendations! I'll be sure to check those out. Yes, I'm hoping to establish a routine and stay as organised as possible – any suggestions on methods that worked for you? I'm thinking of using a planner or digital apps to keep track of appointments, milestones, and progress. Also, did you find that having a routine or specific strategies helped with bonding individually with each child?
A planner or app will be helpful for sure! I used a physical diary to jot down appointments, milestones, and notes on feedings, nappy changes, and sleep schedules. Having everything in one place made it easier to stay organized.

establishing a routine can help with bonding too, as you'll have dedicated time to focus on each child. I found that creating special one-on-one moments, even if just for a few minutes daily, helped with individual bonding. It also taught them to be more independent and aided in their overall development.

A planner or app will be helpful for sure! I used a physical diary to jot down appointments, milestones, and notes on feedings, nappy changes, and sleep schedules. Having everything in one place made it easier to stay organized.

establishing a routine can help with bonding too, as you'll have dedicated time to focus on each child. I found that creating special one-on-one moments, even if just for a few minutes daily, helped with individual bonding. It also taught them to be more independent and aided in their overall development.
That's helpful to know how having a routine could encourage independence and individual bonding time. Thanks for the insight! I think I'll start researching some simple habits or rituals that can become part of our daily schedule. Anything that can become a wholesome tradition is enticing! Any particular fun traditions you had with your multiples?

Also, did anyone else have any interesting strategies for helping their multiples bond with each other?

That's helpful to know how having a routine could encourage independence and individual bonding time. Thanks for the insight! I think I'll start researching some simple habits or rituals that can become part of our daily schedule. Anything that can become a wholesome tradition is enticing! Any particular fun traditions you had with your multiples?

Also, did anyone else have any interesting strategies for helping their multiples bond with each other?
Having a routine never hurt anyone! I found that twins, by default, create their own unique traditions and bonding opportunities. Often, they're so entertained by one another that you'll find them playing and laughing together, especially as they grow older and become more interactive. As they create their little world, it's endearing to witness and definitely eases the workload!

My twins had a cute little tradition where they'd have secret conversations in their own 'twingle' language. It was their special bond and quite adorable to listen to.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Having a routine never hurt anyone! I found that twins, by default, create their own unique traditions and bonding opportunities. Often, they're so entertained by one another that you'll find them playing and laughing together, especially as they grow older and become more interactive. As they create their little world, it's endearing to witness and definitely eases the workload!

My twins had a cute little tradition where they'd have secret conversations in their own 'twingle' language. It was their special bond and quite adorable to listen to.
That's sweet! I'm sure those little traditions and inside jokes will be fun to witness. There seems to be a lot more fun and adorable moments than one might expect, amidst the challenges of raising multiples. Thanks for sharing!

Any other parents with multiples, what were some of your unique experiences or observations that could shed more light on this special journey?

That's sweet! I'm sure those little traditions and inside jokes will be fun to witness. There seems to be a lot more fun and adorable moments than one might expect, amidst the challenges of raising multiples. Thanks for sharing!

Any other parents with multiples, what were some of your unique experiences or observations that could shed more light on this special journey?
You're right; it's a mix of challenging and rewarding experiences, raising multiples! In addition to the chaos and cute moments, I found that my multiples had a strong inbuilt connection and seemed to sense each other's needs. They'd often cry or calm down together, almost as if they could feel what the other was going through. It's fascinating to witness and quite honestly, humbling too, as a parent. Their unique bond definitely adds a special twist to parenting!

You're right; it's a mix of challenging and rewarding experiences, raising multiples! In addition to the chaos and cute moments, I found that my multiples had a strong inbuilt connection and seemed to sense each other's needs. They'd often cry or calm down together, almost as if they could feel what the other was going through. It's fascinating to witness and quite honestly, humbling too, as a parent. Their unique bond definitely adds a special twist to parenting!
The joy and curiosity of discovering this secret language or unspoken connection between multiples is truly special. Thank you for sharing your experiences; it's these insights I find most valuable! Are there any other twins' traits or behaviors that stood out to you as unique?

The joy and curiosity of discovering this secret language or unspoken connection between multiples is truly special. Thank you for sharing your experiences; it's these insights I find most valuable! Are there any other twins' traits or behaviors that stood out to you as unique?
As a mum of non-identical twins, I found that their diverse personalities and interests became more evident as they grew. One was always more vocal and assertive, while the other was content to observe and often responded physically by dancing or mimicking actions. Their individualities were noticeable from an early age, which gradually strengthened their bond as playmates and confidants. Even with their differences, the special connection between them is heartwarming to behold.

As a mum of non-identical twins, I found that their diverse personalities and interests became more evident as they grew. One was always more vocal and assertive, while the other was content to observe and often responded physically by dancing or mimicking actions. Their individualities were noticeable from an early age, which gradually strengthened their bond as playmates and confidants. Even with their differences, the special connection between them is heartwarming to behold.
That's fascinating to hear about their distinct personalities and the way they seemed to complement each other! Thanks for adding that; it seems like a lovely dynamic. I'm curious to observe these differences as my multiples grow too.

That's fascinating to hear about their distinct personalities and the way they seemed to complement each other! Thanks for adding that; it seems like a lovely dynamic. I'm curious to observe these differences as my multiples grow too.
You're welcome. I must admit, seeing those nuances and individualities develop is one of the joys of parenthood - multiplicity or not.

You're welcome. I must admit, seeing those nuances and individualities develop is one of the joys of parenthood - multiplicity or not.
Multiples or not, every child is unique in their own ways and observing their personalities bloom is one of parenting's greatest joys! Thanks for sharing everyone; I appreciate the insights on multiples' behaviors and connections!

Multiples or not, every child is unique in their own ways and observing their personalities bloom is one of parenting's greatest joys! Thanks for sharing everyone; I appreciate the insights on multiples' behaviors and connections!
Yes, each child is uniquely captivating! You're welcome; it's been lovely reading about everyone's experiences.

Reactions: travelmum
Yes, each child is uniquely captivating! You're welcome; it's been lovely reading about everyone's experiences.
It's heartwarming to hear about the special traditions and connections parents of multiples observe between their children.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
It's heartwarming to hear about the special traditions and connections parents of multiples observe between their children.
Yup, it is. These little special moments and inside jokes between them are precious!

It's amazing how much fun and curiosity multiples can bring to our lives!
they bring so much energy and vibrancy into our lives! The experiences shared here are a wonderful glimpse into the multiples' world. Thanks everyone for the insights!

they bring so much energy and vibrancy into our lives! The experiences shared here are a wonderful glimpse into the multiples' world. Thanks everyone for the insights!
True can't agree more.

True can't agree more.
It's fascinating to hear about the different experiences and individuality even among multiples! Does anyone else have stories or observations about raising multiples to share? It's such a joy to hear about the unique bonds and dynamics.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu