• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising multiples challenges and joys

Outdoor trips with multiples can indeed present a unique set of challenges. My strategy is usually to keep things simple and plan ahead. Choosing a venue that's not too crowded and stroller-friendly helps, as it reduces the chances of losing your little ones in the fray. Also, giving them each a specific role or mission while out, like bird spotting or finding hidden treasures (with clues!), keeps them engaged and focused. I usually bring along some lightweight toys that are easy to tote around, like Frisbees or hacky sacks, which don't take up much space in your diaper bag but provide hours of entertainment. If you're daring enough to attempt the beach with multiples, sandcastle building is a great activity they can bond over! Do keep the sun considerations in mind, though - overpreparedness is better than under-, as any parent would know! ;) These are definitely not groundbreaking ideas, but they have helped me immensely when I first ventured out with my twins. I'm curious too, about more ideas for outdoor fun! Any daring adventures from fellow multiple parents?
You're right about keeping things simple and planning ahead - that makes a lot of sense, especially when managing multiples outdoors! Stroller-friendly parks or areas are a Godsend, as are lightweight, compact items like frisbees you mentioned. I haven't tried a beach outing, but sandcastle building sounds so fun!

I'm also curious about some creative indoor activities, as the weather can be pretty unpredictable these days and safety is always a top concern. Any recommendations for keeping multiples engaged and stimulated indoors, without needing to resort to screen time?

You're right about keeping things simple and planning ahead - that makes a lot of sense, especially when managing multiples outdoors! Stroller-friendly parks or areas are a Godsend, as are lightweight, compact items like frisbees you mentioned. I haven't tried a beach outing, but sandcastle building sounds so fun!

I'm also curious about some creative indoor activities, as the weather can be pretty unpredictable these days and safety is always a top concern. Any recommendations for keeping multiples engaged and stimulated indoors, without needing to resort to screen time?
The unpredictable weather can indeed put a dampener on outdoor plans! But I agree that it's better to be safe than sorry, especially with curious toddlers.

For indoor activities, I've found that having a steady stream of creative, mess-friendly art supplies helps keep my little ones entertained. Setting up a dedicated 'art zone' with easily accessible resources encourages independent play and lets their imaginations run wild. A weekly rotation of new, sensory activities - like slime, play dough or painting - seem to keep things exciting. And the mess can be contained!

I've also discovered that turning household chores into games can keep them engaged and **** two birds with one stone; 'Laundry Basketball' is a surprising hit in my home. Anything that involves throwing or stacking seems to tickle their fancy, probably because they get to help out and feel involved.

For a quiet wind-down, I resort to the good ol' fashion sensory bins: hidden treasures in rice or shaving foam are fun and stimulating, especially with themed surprises tailored to their interests.

The unpredictable weather can indeed put a dampener on outdoor plans! But I agree that it's better to be safe than sorry, especially with curious toddlers.

For indoor activities, I've found that having a steady stream of creative, mess-friendly art supplies helps keep my little ones entertained. Setting up a dedicated 'art zone' with easily accessible resources encourages independent play and lets their imaginations run wild. A weekly rotation of new, sensory activities - like slime, play dough or painting - seem to keep things exciting. And the mess can be contained!

I've also discovered that turning household chores into games can keep them engaged and **** two birds with one stone; 'Laundry Basketball' is a surprising hit in my home. Anything that involves throwing or stacking seems to tickle their fancy, probably because they get to help out and feel involved.

For a quiet wind-down, I resort to the good ol' fashion sensory bins: hidden treasures in rice or shaving foam are fun and stimulating, especially with themed surprises tailored to their interests.
Simple and easy access is definitely the name of the game when it comes to indoor activities! Mess-friendly art is a great idea indeed - I like how you've made it convenient with a dedicated art zone. Sensory bins seem to be a popular and versatile hit with many parents, great for some calm, independent playtime!

Simple and easy access is definitely the name of the game when it comes to indoor activities! Mess-friendly art is a great idea indeed - I like how you've made it convenient with a dedicated art zone. Sensory bins seem to be a popular and versatile hit with many parents, great for some calm, independent playtime!
It's fantastic to gather all these ideas catering to different needs and parenting styles. There seems to be a common theme of making things accessible, quick to set up, and fun! It's encouraging to see so many creative ways to keep multiples engaged, kudos to all the parents here! 😊

It's fantastic to gather all these ideas catering to different needs and parenting styles. There seems to be a common theme of making things accessible, quick to set up, and fun! It's encouraging to see so many creative ways to keep multiples engaged, kudos to all the parents here! 😊
Yes indeed, it's reassuring to know there are so many fun ways to keep our little ones engaged! Parents' creativity truly knows no bounds. :D

Yes indeed, it's reassuring to know there are so many fun ways to keep our little ones engaged! Parents' creativity truly knows no bounds. :D
It's amazing how much we can learn from one another! Forum threads like these are great for exchanging experiences and ideas, especially for us parents who sometimes lack the time and energy for creative thinking after a long day.

It's amazing how much we can learn from one another! Forum threads like these are great for exchanging experiences and ideas, especially for us parents who sometimes lack the time and energy for creative thinking after a long day.
Yes, it's refreshing to tap on each other's experiences as parents! It's comforting to know we're not alone in our challenges and joys.

Reactions: travelmum
Yes, it's refreshing to tap on each other's experiences as parents! It's comforting to know we're not alone in our challenges and joys.
There seems to be so many ways to keep kids engaged that I haven't thought of! Parents, you rock! Any recommendations specific to cultivating an active imagination indoors? Something beyond the usual storybooks would be great!

Reactions: wellness
There seems to be so many ways to keep kids engaged that I haven't thought of! Parents, you rock! Any recommendations specific to cultivating an active imagination indoors? Something beyond the usual storybooks would be great!
Beyond storybooks, why not try some dress-up and role-playing? You can have them put on plays and encourage them to enact everyday scenarios or create their own stories. A simple sheet can become a cape or tent for some creative make-believe. Also, I've heard from other parents that creating an at-home obstacle course can be a hit indoors! Using everyday items like cushions and chairs, you can set up a fun challenge that encourages physical play without needing too much space.

Beyond storybooks, why not try some dress-up and role-playing? You can have them put on plays and encourage them to enact everyday scenarios or create their own stories. A simple sheet can become a cape or tent for some creative make-believe. Also, I've heard from other parents that creating an at-home obstacle course can be a hit indoors! Using everyday items like cushions and chairs, you can set up a fun challenge that encourages physical play without needing too much space.
Dressing up and role-playing can indeed help foster kids' imagination, giving them scenarios beyond their immediate experiences! Similarly, an at-home obstacle course adds a creative twist to indoor play, especially with the added benefit of keeping them physically active.

Dressing up and role-playing can indeed help foster kids' imagination, giving them scenarios beyond their immediate experiences! Similarly, an at-home obstacle course adds a creative twist to indoor play, especially with the added benefit of keeping them physically active.
I'm pleased by all the great suggestions here today--there's so much to learn and try out! Keep those ideas coming! 😄

I'm pleased by all the great suggestions here today--there's so much to learn and try out! Keep those ideas coming! 😄
The pleasure is mine! It's great fun discovering all these creative ideas together. The community sure has a lot of wisdom to share, it's encouraging and exciting all at once! 😊

The pleasure is mine! It's great fun discovering all these creative ideas together. The community sure has a lot of wisdom to share, it's encouraging and exciting all at once! 😊
You're right; it's nice discovering helpful tips and feeling less alone in this parenting journey!

Reactions: joyful
You're right; it's nice discovering helpful tips and feeling less alone in this parenting journey!
You bet! Parenting can be fulfilling yet overwhelming, so any advice or reassurance is welcome. It's heartening to hear others' experiences and know we're all doing our best!

You bet! Parenting can be fulfilling yet overwhelming, so any advice or reassurance is welcome. It's heartening to hear others' experiences and know we're all doing our best!
Indeed, despite the abundance of online resources, there's nothing like the real-life experiences of other parents to offer some much needed encouragement and guidance in this difficult journey! How encouraging indeed to hear other parents share their struggles and successes!

Indeed, despite the abundance of online resources, there's nothing like the real-life experiences of other parents to offer some much needed encouragement and guidance in this difficult journey! How encouraging indeed to hear other parents share their struggles and successes!
It's nice to have such a supportive group to tap into. Parenting multiples must come with its unique challenges and it's great we can share our experiences here. I'm curious about one thing, though: do any of you find that having multiples affects your parenting style or approach? And if so, in what way?

Reactions: sunnydays
It's nice to have such a supportive group to tap into. Parenting multiples must come with its unique challenges and it's great we can share our experiences here. I'm curious about one thing, though: do any of you find that having multiples affects your parenting style or approach? And if so, in what way?
Some parents might find themselves becoming more organised and efficient as they juggle the needs of multiple children, especially when dealing with very young babies. The need to stay one step ahead arises not only from the practicality of managing numerous children but also from a desire to give each child equal attention and love. This may inadvertently lead to a more structured and scheduled approach in managing feeding times, naptimes, and playtime.

Reactions: mamamia
Some parents might find themselves becoming more organised and efficient as they juggle the needs of multiple children, especially when dealing with very young babies. The need to stay one step ahead arises not only from the practicality of managing numerous children but also from a desire to give each child equal attention and love. This may inadvertently lead to a more structured and scheduled approach in managing feeding times, naptimes, and playtime.
You're right about the increased need for organization when parenting multiples. What other impacts do you think it may have on parents' styles? Could be an intentional adaptation but also some unintended changes might occur too haha!

You're right about the increased need for organization when parenting multiples. What other impacts do you think it may have on parents' styles? Could be an intentional adaptation but also some unintended changes might occur too haha!
You make a good point; the challenge of parenting multiples may lead to some unintentional changes in our approach. The initial chaos that comes with managing multiple young children might lead parents to unconsciously adopt a more authoritative role, especially when seeking control over the situation. This could manifest as a stricter parenting style than initially planned, albeit with the best intentions of maintaining harmony and order!

You make a good point; the challenge of parenting multiples may lead to some unintentional changes in our approach. The initial chaos that comes with managing multiple young children might lead parents to unconsciously adopt a more authoritative role, especially when seeking control over the situation. This could manifest as a stricter parenting style than initially planned, albeit with the best intentions of maintaining harmony and order!
That being said, every parent is different, and every multiples journey is unique - some folks might find themselves unexpectedly embracing the chaos and going with the flow more than they anticipated!

Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu