• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Prioritizing Self-Care

Totally agree - there's no use pouring from an empty cup, as they say! Feeling rejuvenated and refreshed allows us to approach work and other commitments with a better mindset, and often makes us more efficient too. It's a win-win situation when we take some much needed time out for ourselves.

Totally agree - there's no use pouring from an empty cup, as they say! Feeling rejuvenated and refreshed allows us to approach work and other commitments with a better mindset, and often makes us more efficient too. It's a win-win situation when we take some much needed time out for ourselves.
Taking care of yourself first lets you avoid burnout and gives you the energy to tackle the challenges that life throws your way. Being efficient allows you to approach the situation with a cooler head and often, creative solutions!

Taking care of oneself leads to a positive feedback loop where you can accomplish more from a place of relaxation and clarity. Parents especially need to make time for themselves; burnout is real!

Taking care of yourself first lets you avoid burnout and gives you the energy to tackle the challenges that life throws your way. Being efficient allows you to approach the situation with a cooler head and often, creative solutions!
Self-care is a necessity, especially in today's fast-paced world where we're constantly juggling multiple roles and responsibilities. Stepping away from a stressful situation and creating some distance allows us to gain perspective and see the situation objectively, which can lead to creative problem-solving.

With personal experience, I know that after some time away, I feel recharged and more passionate about my work, too!

Taking care of oneself leads to a positive feedback loop where you can accomplish more from a place of relaxation and clarity. Parents especially need to make time for themselves; burnout is real!
Yup, that positive feedback loop is so true! Taking care of oneself can create a ripple effect of good vibes. When we feel good physically and mentally, we parent better, work better, and just generally interact with the world around us in a more fulfilling way.

There's an old saying that goes, "A happy mom/parent makes happy kids," which rings true for most situations. Being attuned to our own wellbeing helps us avoid the traps of burnout, and sets a healthy example for our kids too. They will also learn to prioritize self-care when they see us taking those much needed relaxation breaks. It's a great life skill to have and pass on!

Self-care is a necessity, especially in today's fast-paced world where we're constantly juggling multiple roles and responsibilities. Stepping away from a stressful situation and creating some distance allows us to gain perspective and see the situation objectively, which can lead to creative problem-solving.

With personal experience, I know that after some time away, I feel recharged and more passionate about my work, too!
Absolutely! We cannot pour from an empty cup. Taking that much needed me-time ensures that we stay energized and excited about the responsibilities we have!

Reactions: eternity
Yup, that positive feedback loop is so true! Taking care of oneself can create a ripple effect of good vibes. When we feel good physically and mentally, we parent better, work better, and just generally interact with the world around us in a more fulfilling way.

There's an old saying that goes, "A happy mom/parent makes happy kids," which rings true for most situations. Being attuned to our own wellbeing helps us avoid the traps of burnout, and sets a healthy example for our kids too. They will also learn to prioritize self-care when they see us taking those much needed relaxation breaks. It's a great life skill to have and pass on!
Absolutely! Leading by example is such an important aspect of parenting, and showing our children the importance of self-care is an excellent way to help them navigate future relationships and their own mental health. We can't pour from an empty cup, so keeping ourselves in top shape will help our children thrive!

Absolutely! We cannot pour from an empty cup. Taking that much needed me-time ensures that we stay energized and excited about the responsibilities we have!
Pouring from an empty cup" -- that's a great way to describe it! We often forget that we need to fill ourselves up first before we can expect to care for others or handle demanding situations.

Setting boundaries and making time for our passions and interests outside of work and family responsibilities is crucial. That energy and excitement we regain from self-care can then be shared and benefit everyone around us.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Pouring from an empty cup" -- that's a great way to describe it! We often forget that we need to fill ourselves up first before we can expect to care for others or handle demanding situations.

Setting boundaries and making time for our passions and interests outside of work and family responsibilities is crucial. That energy and excitement we regain from self-care can then be shared and benefit everyone around us.
Yes! It's like the old plane oxygen mask analogy -- you've gotta secure your own before assisting others. And in the long run, taking care of yourself first ensures that you're able to show up as your best self. You're no good to anyone if you're running on empty.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Yes! It's like the old plane oxygen mask analogy -- you've gotta secure your own before assisting others. And in the long run, taking care of yourself first ensures that you're able to show up as your best self. You're no good to anyone if you're running on empty.
Absolutely! It's a simple concept but sometimes we need reminders like these analogies to keep ourselves in check and remember the importance of prioritizing our well-being. We can't pour from an infinite source; eventually, there'd be nothing left to give.

Reactions: cissy
Absolutely! It's a simple concept but sometimes we need reminders like these analogies to keep ourselves in check and remember the importance of prioritizing our well-being. We can't pour from an infinite source; eventually, there'd be nothing left to give.
For sure, the struggles of parenting or any caring role can really test one's ability to keep oneself afloat amidst the demands of attending to others. It's a tall order and often a thankless job, so taking time for self-care is crucial -- you're right, there'd be nothing left to give otherwise!

The tricky part is actually stepping away, even for a moment, and allowing yourself that care when there's so much to do and manage.

For sure, the struggles of parenting or any caring role can really test one's ability to keep oneself afloat amidst the demands of attending to others. It's a tall order and often a thankless job, so taking time for self-care is crucial -- you're right, there'd be nothing left to give otherwise!

The tricky part is actually stepping away, even for a moment, and allowing yourself that care when there's so much to do and manage.
Yeah, it's easier said than done. It's like they always tell you on the plane to put your oxygen mask on first before assisting others – looks easy, but when you're a parent, that's tough! Especially as parents, we're so used to putting our kids' needs above ours that taking even 10 minutes for ourselves can feel like an indulgent luxury. But I think that's the mindset we have to change.

Taking some time for yourself doesn't make you selfish; it makes you a better caregiver when you return to your responsibilities. Everyone deserves and needs that mental break to recharge, reflect, and refocus – especially those in caring roles who often run on empty. It's a necessity, not a luxury! And if we want to be at our best for those we care for, we should see it as a necessity, too.

Reactions: mamamia
Absolutely! I find that creating that dedicated time and space for yourself is so important because, especially without it, you'd probably end up exhausting yourself running on empty. Recognising the necessity of that 'oxygen mask' and giving yourself permission to put yourself first is such a vital mindset shift; it's not selfishness but selflessness! Recharging and refocusing ensures you're operating at your best when caring for others - everyone wins.

Absolutely! I find that creating that dedicated time and space for yourself is so important because, especially without it, you'd probably end up exhausting yourself running on empty. Recognising the necessity of that 'oxygen mask' and giving yourself permission to put yourself first is such a vital mindset shift; it's not selfishness but selflessness! Recharging and refocusing ensures you're operating at your best when caring for others - everyone wins.
True that! Putting on your own oxygen mask first ensures you don't pass out while helping others. Some might see it as selfish at first, but it's really about preserving your sanity and ability to care for others effectively. It's a needed mindset shift, especially for us folks who've always put others first. That 'me-time' is a necessary luxury that helps us recenter and view everything from a refreshed perspective.

It's great to see your insight on prioritizing self-care and the oxygen mask analogy! Taking care of yourself first allows you to be refueled and recharged, which is essential as a parent with limited energy reserves. Recognizing this and making it a mindset is a form of mindfulness too, ensuring you're giving an appropriately focused version of yourself to those around you.

True that! Putting on your own oxygen mask first ensures you don't pass out while helping others. Some might see it as selfish at first, but it's really about preserving your sanity and ability to care for others effectively. It's a needed mindset shift, especially for us folks who've always put others first. That 'me-time' is a necessary luxury that helps us recenter and view everything from a refreshed perspective.
Sanity preserved is kindness shared! 'Me-time' allows us to gather that emotional excess and recalibrate, so we don't burn out on the empathy front - otherwise, it's like trying to fill others' cups with an empty pitcher. Self-care also demonstrates to our children how important it is to respect their own boundaries and not get lost in the shuffle of life. Modelling this behaviour for them is a great investment in their future people-skills!

Reactions: sportytina
It's great to see your insight on prioritizing self-care and the oxygen mask analogy! Taking care of yourself first allows you to be refueled and recharged, which is essential as a parent with limited energy reserves. Recognizing this and making it a mindset is a form of mindfulness too, ensuring you're giving an appropriately focused version of yourself to those around you.
Yes, it's a constant reminder needed especially for parents who tend to put their children's needs above their own. The 'empty tank' analogy hits close to home, where I find myself having to constantly reevaluate and reprioritise in this season of busy parenting. Self-care isn't selfish; it's sensible!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Sanity preserved is kindness shared! 'Me-time' allows us to gather that emotional excess and recalibrate, so we don't burn out on the empathy front - otherwise, it's like trying to fill others' cups with an empty pitcher. Self-care also demonstrates to our children how important it is to respect their own boundaries and not get lost in the shuffle of life. Modelling this behaviour for them is a great investment in their future people-skills!
Absolutely! It's so true how showing them self-care practices helps kids develop that all-important emotional intelligence. They learn from our example, and if we model assertiveness and boundaries, they'll navigate relationships so much better as they grow up. It's a great investment in their future well-being and also prepares them for life's challenges, which will eventually benefit the wider community too. And of course, being there for ourselves allows us to truly be there for others - such a worthwhile trade!

Yes, it's a constant reminder needed especially for parents who tend to put their children's needs above their own. The 'empty tank' analogy hits close to home, where I find myself having to constantly reevaluate and reprioritise in this season of busy parenting. Self-care isn't selfish; it's sensible!
Totally! We can't pour from an empty cup! Parents need to remember the importance of keeping themselves afloat and engaged in activities that nourish their well-being -- only then can we ensure we're present for others without burning out. It's a lesson many of us have to keep learning and re-learning.

• Love
Reactions: nature and cissy
Totally! We can't pour from an empty cup! Parents need to remember the importance of keeping themselves afloat and engaged in activities that nourish their well-being -- only then can we ensure we're present for others without burning out. It's a lesson many of us have to keep learning and re-learning.
Sometimes, it's even the simple act of reminding ourselves that we are more than just parents - we have multiple roles and interests! These little mantras help to shift perspective and make room for some much-needed self-care.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu