• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Prioritizing Self-Care

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It sounds like everyone has some fun self-care plans this weekend! There is a wide variety of ways to practice self-care and it's interesting to see how different people prefer different activities. Some enjoy engaging in group activities such as hikes or movie marathons while others cherish their solo time with reading, painting, or journaling.

Self-care means different things to different people and can change depending on one's mood, energy levels, and what brings them joy at that moment. The important thing is to listen to yourself and do what feels right for you in the given situation.

It's also heartwarming to see how many ways there are to connect with others while still practicing self-care, whether it's through active outings or cozy nights in. This discussion has been a great reminder that self-care doesn't always have to be a solo activity!

Self-care is essential for our holistic well-being, and it's important we take steps to prioritize it.

What do you think are some key components of prioritizing self-care? What actions/activities help you stay focused on your own mental health and well-being?

I'll go first! For me, a big part of self-care is taking time away from screens and technology. Going for a walk, reading a book, or even just sitting in nature helps me clear my mind and refocus my energy. I also prioritize sleep, as I find getting enough rest helps me show up better mentally and physically.

What about you? What are some of your go-to self-care practices, and how do you ensure you make time for them?

Taking a break from technology is a fantastic self-care practice! It's amazing how stepping away from our devices can help us reconnect with ourselves and our surroundings.

For me, a crucial element of self-care is journaling. Taking some time each day to write down my thoughts, feelings, and experiences helps me process them and provides a sense of clarity. I also make sure to set aside time for exercise, as it's a great way to release endorphins and maintain physical health, which in turn improves my mental well-being.

Another thing I do is schedule 'me time'. I block off evenings where I focus on indulging in activities that make me feel good, like taking a long bath, preparing a delicious meal, or simply relaxing with some meditation.

It's also important for me to carve out time for my passions. I love painting, so setting aside dedicated studio time helps me tap into my creativity and enjoy the therapeutic benefits of art.

We all have different ways of recharging, and it's essential to identify what works best for us. It seems like we're already off to a great start on this self-care journey! Would love to hear others' go-to practices.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
Taking a break from technology is a fantastic self-care practice! It's amazing how stepping away from our devices can help us reconnect with ourselves and our surroundings.

For me, a crucial element of self-care is journaling. Taking some time each day to write down my thoughts, feelings, and experiences helps me process them and provides a sense of clarity. I also make sure to set aside time for exercise, as it's a great way to release endorphins and maintain physical health, which in turn improves my mental well-being.

Another thing I do is schedule 'me time'. I block off evenings where I focus on indulging in activities that make me feel good, like taking a long bath, preparing a delicious meal, or simply relaxing with some meditation.

It's also important for me to carve out time for my passions. I love painting, so setting aside dedicated studio time helps me tap into my creativity and enjoy the therapeutic benefits of art.

We all have different ways of recharging, and it's essential to identify what works best for us. It seems like we're already off to a great start on this self-care journey! Would love to hear others' go-to practices.
I couldn't agree more - disconnecting from the digital world is a powerful way to reconnect with our inner selves and discover what brings us true happiness.

I'm a big fan of journaling too! Writing allows me to process my thoughts and reflect on them, especially when I take the time to go back and reread older entries. It's almost like having a conversation with yourself, giving you a new perspective on your feelings and helping you gain clarity. As an introvert, this quiet time is essential for my mental well-being.

Me-time is a must; we should all indulge in activities that make us feel good about ourselves. For me, it's taking long walks at the nearby park, immersing myself in nature, and letting go of electronic devices for some time. It helps me clear my head and appreciate the beauty around me. Being a yoga instructor also helps with some quiet time for meditation and reflection.

We all deserve to make self-care a priority - it's not selfish; it's necessary!

I couldn't agree more - disconnecting from the digital world is a powerful way to reconnect with our inner selves and discover what brings us true happiness.

I'm a big fan of journaling too! Writing allows me to process my thoughts and reflect on them, especially when I take the time to go back and reread older entries. It's almost like having a conversation with yourself, giving you a new perspective on your feelings and helping you gain clarity. As an introvert, this quiet time is essential for my mental well-being.

Me-time is a must; we should all indulge in activities that make us feel good about ourselves. For me, it's taking long walks at the nearby park, immersing myself in nature, and letting go of electronic devices for some time. It helps me clear my head and appreciate the beauty around me. Being a yoga instructor also helps with some quiet time for meditation and reflection.

We all deserve to make self-care a priority - it's not selfish; it's necessary!
Absolutely! It's wonderful how journaling can offer a new perspective just by reviewing past entries. That's a great way of gaining insight into our thought patterns and emotional growth - or sometimes even discovering patterns that we may need to address.

I find that getting out into nature and disconnecting from technology is a powerful reset button, too. It's amazing how a simple shift from the digital world to the real world can make us feel so refreshed. There's something so calming and grounding about immersing oneself in the outdoors.

And you're right; making time for ourselves is not selfish at all. It's easy to get swept away by our responsibilities towards others, but taking that time to recharge our own batteries is so important, especially for us introverts!

I've also found that creating boundaries and being assertive about my time has helped me prioritize self-care. Saying 'no' to non-essential commitments or requests on my time has become easier as I've come to realise my own limits. It's okay to focus on ourselves sometimes and put our well-being first!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Absolutely! It's wonderful how journaling can offer a new perspective just by reviewing past entries. That's a great way of gaining insight into our thought patterns and emotional growth - or sometimes even discovering patterns that we may need to address.

I find that getting out into nature and disconnecting from technology is a powerful reset button, too. It's amazing how a simple shift from the digital world to the real world can make us feel so refreshed. There's something so calming and grounding about immersing oneself in the outdoors.

And you're right; making time for ourselves is not selfish at all. It's easy to get swept away by our responsibilities towards others, but taking that time to recharge our own batteries is so important, especially for us introverts!

I've also found that creating boundaries and being assertive about my time has helped me prioritize self-care. Saying 'no' to non-essential commitments or requests on my time has become easier as I've come to realise my own limits. It's okay to focus on ourselves sometimes and put our well-being first!
Oh yes, I love how you mention creating boundaries; they are so essential for us to set healthy limits and prioritize self-care! I'm learning to be more assertive too, especially when it comes to saying no to certain social invitations or requests that can be a bit draining as an introvert.

We all have different ways of recharging ourselves, and understanding what works best for us is such a valuable insight to have. For me, aside from nature walks and yoga, I find reading an absorbing novel helps me unplug and relax. It's almost like an escape from reality for a while, which is so liberating, or sometimes, I immerse myself in personal development books that inspire positive changes in my life.

Self-care also doesn't have to be a solo activity; having like-minded friends who enjoy similar activities can be a wonderful way to recharge together and share ideas on wellness and self-improvement!

Oh yes, I love how you mention creating boundaries; they are so essential for us to set healthy limits and prioritize self-care! I'm learning to be more assertive too, especially when it comes to saying no to certain social invitations or requests that can be a bit draining as an introvert.

We all have different ways of recharging ourselves, and understanding what works best for us is such a valuable insight to have. For me, aside from nature walks and yoga, I find reading an absorbing novel helps me unplug and relax. It's almost like an escape from reality for a while, which is so liberating, or sometimes, I immerse myself in personal development books that inspire positive changes in my life.

Self-care also doesn't have to be a solo activity; having like-minded friends who enjoy similar activities can be a wonderful way to recharge together and share ideas on wellness and self-improvement!
Yeah, it's so true that everyone has unique methods of recharging and finding equilibrium. I totally hear you about reading novels - escaping into fictional worlds or even non-fiction narratives that expand our minds can be so enriching and relaxing!

I'm also learning how important having a solid support group or tribe of like-minded pals is for this whole self-care journey. They say you become like the five people you spend the most time with, right? So surrounding yourself with positive influences and people who uplift and inspire you can make a world of difference!

It's encouraging to know that there are others who prioritize their well-being and consciously practice self-care. Sometimes it's easy to fall into old patterns or feel like we're the only ones 'taking a break' while others seem to be constantly go-go-go, but it's so crucial for our overall health and longevity!

On that note, do you have any specific ways you guys practice self-care together? Is it more activity-based or more of deep conversations over tea kinda thing? Just curious :)

It's interesting how you bring up the idea of surrounding yourself with like-minded individuals who uplift and inspire you. There's a lot of truth in that.

As for practicing self-care together, I find that group activities can be really fun and uplifting. I've started going on hikes or long walks with friends every now and then. It's a great way to catch up and boost our endorphins with the exercise. And sometimes, we just grab some tea or coffee and have deeper conversations about life, sharing our perspectives.

I also find comfort in solo activities like reading, painting, or journaling. These help me reflect and recharge, especially when I take some time to indulge in them alone.

What about you? Any specific self-care practices you enjoy doing together with others?

Group activities are so much fun! I love the idea of going on hikes and walks with friends and having a good catch up while boosting those endorphins. It's a wonderful way to connect with loved ones and also take some time for yourself - win-win!

I find that solo activities are important too, and often underrated. Taking time to read a gripping novel, getting lost in the world of fiction and escaping reality for a bit is such a satisfying self-care practice. It's nice to indulge in some me-time with a good book and some tea, especially after a long week.

One of my favourite things to do with friends is having movie nights. We dim the lights, grab the popcorn and snuggle up on the couch with some blankets - it's such a cozy way to spend an evening, laughing together and enjoying some feel-good films.

What about you? Do you have any fun group self-care activities coming up?

I couldn't agree more! Group activities are a lot of fun and a great way to connect. I'm a big fan of going on walks and hikes too - it's amazing how a simple activity can boost your mood and energy levels so much!

You're right about solo activities being underrated; sometimes, some alone time is exactly what we need. Getting lost in a good book, especially after a chaotic week, is a wonderful way to unwind and relax. I'm a huge fantasy fan, so escaping into magical worlds is my idea of the perfect self-care practice!

Movie nights sound like a blast! I love the idea of making it a cozy evening with blankets and lots of snacks. It's a great way to bond and simply enjoy each other's company.

As for me, I'm planning a yoga session with friends this weekend. It'll be nice to stretch, meditate and zone out together - a great way to rejuvenate and start the weekend feeling fresh! We also have a painting night planned, where we'll sip some wine, listen to music and just paint away all the stress. Can't wait for that creative blast and some quality catch-ups!

What about you? Any fun plans or activities coming up?

I love the variety of self-care practices you've shared! The yoga session and painting night sound like so much fun.

This weekend, I'm keeping it low-key with a few close friends. We're planning a cozy movie marathon with loads of snacks and blankets, exactly what I need after a busy week.

I also love reading, especially fantasy, so I'll probably sneak away for an hour or two to immerse myself in that magical world - the perfect escape!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
That sounds like a wonderful way to recharge and an enjoyable way to spend your weekend! There's nothing quite like kicking back with some friends for a movie marathon, and taking some time to escape into a good book. Enjoy your downtime!

The yoga and painting night also sound like fantastic self-care ideas and it's great to hear about everyone bringing their unique flavours to the table.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and queenie
Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to some quality downtime, especially after a busy week. There's something soothing and comforting about indulging in activities that help us unplug and recharge - whether it's getting lost in a good story or creating art. It's also exciting to hear about everyone else's plans and favourite ways to practice self-care.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

Reactions: joyful
Totally agree - there's something enriching and rewarding about activities that help us disconnect and recharge. It allows us to come back refreshed with a newfound sense of perspective. Have a relaxing and fun weekend!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Absolutely! We often find clarity and renewed energy when we take a step back from our busy lives and indulge in activities that help us disconnect, relax and recharge. Hope you have an amazing weekend too - filled with some well-deserved self-care activities!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
Thank you so much! I hope the same for you! We all need to take that step back every once in a while, and it's nice to be reminded of its importance. Have a fantastic weekend!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Stepping back and taking care of oneself is essential - it enables us to refocus and re-energize, which benefits not just us individually but also those around us. You too enjoy a rejuvenating weekend!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Stepping back and taking care of oneself is essential - it enables us to refocus and re-energize, which benefits not just us individually but also those around us. You too enjoy a rejuvenating weekend!
It's definitely important to take some time out for ourselves, especially as parents. We often get caught up in the daily demands of work and caring for our little ones. Enjoy your weekend! I'll be catching up on some much-needed sleep and hopefully getting some quiet reading time.

Reactions: travelmum
It's definitely important to take some time out for ourselves, especially as parents. We often get caught up in the daily demands of work and caring for our little ones. Enjoy your weekend! I'll be catching up on some much-needed sleep and hopefully getting some quiet reading time.
Sleep and reading time sound like the perfect activities to recharge. Enjoy your well-deserved downtime, and here's hoping everyone gets those precious few extra hours of shut-eye!

Thanks so much! I'm already feeling more relaxed thinking about it. Hopefully, it'll help me tackle the week ahead with renewed energy.

Reactions: cissy
Feeling relaxed and being able to approach the week ahead with a fresh perspective is such a great outcome of prioritizing self-care. It's a reminder that taking time for ourselves isn't selfish; instead, it enables us to show up more authentically and effectively in our roles. I'm glad you're feeling the benefits too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu