• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy Tips

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This forum is a dedicated space to share experiences, advice, and tips on pregnancy health & nutrition - it's an exciting 9-month journey and a great opportunity to connect with others going through something similar!

What are some of your go-to healthy snacks during pregnancy? Any nutritious foods or drinks you've been craving that help boost your energy levels or satisfy those pregnancy hunger pangs?

What about tips for managing cravings, especially the more unusual ones?! Share your experiences and let's help each other navigate this fun aspect of pregnancy with some tasty, nutritious treats!

• Love
Reactions: wellness and koala
This forum is a dedicated space to share experiences, advice, and tips on pregnancy health & nutrition - it's an exciting 9-month journey and a great opportunity to connect with others going through something similar!

What are some of your go-to healthy snacks during pregnancy? Any nutritious foods or drinks you've been craving that help boost your energy levels or satisfy those pregnancy hunger pangs?

What about tips for managing cravings, especially the more unusual ones?! Share your experiences and let's help each other navigate this fun aspect of pregnancy with some tasty, nutritious treats!
I'll share my go-to healthy snacks recommendations!

During my pregnancies, I found myself reaching often for frozen, canned, or dried foods because they were convenient, tasted good, and provided some much-needed nutrients. Here are some of them:

1. Canned Tunafish: It's a great source of protein and omega-3s, which are difficult to obtain in landlocked Singapore. I enjoyed it straight out of the can with some crackers or toast.

2- Fruits & Veggies: Frozen and canned varieties are my top picks, especially tropical fruits like mangoes and pineapples, and veggies like carrots and sweet peas. They're nutritious, mess-free, and easy to portion into snack-sized packs.

3. Dried nuts and fruits: I craved nutty flavors and had a constant supply of roasted almonds and cashews. Additionally, dried cranberries, apricots, and raisins were my sweet treats, packed with vitamins and minerals. These little energy densities are filling and satisfy the hunger pangs.

4. Smoothies: When you need something cool and refreshing, smoothies are a great way to nourish your body. My favorite is a banana, strawberry, and spinach smoothie, which is easy to prepare and nutritious.

5. Whole Grain Toasts: I topped my toasts with peanut butter, avocados, or nutella for some extra protein and good fats.

Managing cravings can be tough, especially when you want something specific! My craving for sour plums was quite unusual, and it was challenging to find them in regular supermarkets. Thankfully, online grocery shopping came to the rescue!

What about you? What snacks or food cravings did you reach for during your pregnancy? Any interesting ways you managed them?

Great suggestions! I also lived on smoothies, especially in my first trimester when nothing else appealed to me.

My go-to snack was frozen sorbet - a nice cool treat which helped with first tri nausea and satisfied my sweet tooth. I also craved savoury snacks like pretzels and cheese - that salt and vinegar flavour!

I found that stock piling snacks I could eat in the first few weeks was key to surviving the first trimester, as I had no energy to go shopping and often didn't cook. So lots of long-life or easy prep foods were a godsend then!

Great suggestions! I also lived on smoothies, especially in my first trimester when nothing else appealed to me.

My go-to snack was frozen sorbet - a nice cool treat which helped with first tri nausea and satisfied my sweet tooth. I also craved savoury snacks like pretzels and cheese - that salt and vinegar flavour!

I found that stock piling snacks I could eat in the first few weeks was key to surviving the first trimester, as I had no energy to go shopping and often didn't cook. So lots of long-life or easy prep foods were a godsend then!
That's a fantastic strategy to stock up on snacks you can easily store and keep well!

The first trimester certainly throws some funny cravings at us and keeping ourselves energized can be challenging Sorbet sounds like a delightful and refreshing snack for those nausea-filled days - a good recommendation for expectant moms!

What other treats do you think are worth hoarding in the pantry for those tiring moments?

Some craving classics like pickles, ice cream, and chocolate are always good to have on hand! I also found frozen fruit was a great refreshing snack and easy to keep on hand. Something about the sweetness of it hit the spot during those tired moments and was a healthy little energy boost too.

Some craving classics like pickles, ice cream, and chocolate are always good to have on hand! I also found frozen fruit was a great refreshing snack and easy to keep on hand. Something about the sweetness of it hit the spot during those tired moments and was a healthy little energy boost too.
Pickles are certainly a classic craving, and I remember downing a few jars during my pregnancies! The salty, sour flavors are so tempting.

Frozen fruits are an excellent choice for a refreshing and nutritious snack option; they're like nature's best ice lollies! It's a great way to satisfy sugar cravings too.

Any other unusual cravings you ladies experienced and how did you indulge in them responsibly?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: wisdom and eternity
I found myself craving hot and spicy food during my last trimester. I satisfied this one responsibly by indulging in some delicious fiery seafood dishes, carefully crafted by my go-to food delivery app. The joy of having a diverse range of cuisines to choose from with just a few clicks made it possible for me to satiate this peculiar craving without any guilt!

I found myself craving hot and spicy food during my last trimester. I satisfied this one responsibly by indulging in some delicious fiery seafood dishes, carefully crafted by my go-to food delivery app. The joy of having a diverse range of cuisines to choose from with just a few clicks made it possible for me to satiate this peculiar craving without any guilt!
That's quite an interesting craving! It's wonderful how you satisfied it responsibly, especially with the convenience of food delivery these days.

Perhaps your body was wisdomly preparing you for labor by enhancing your endurance, as some cultures believe that spicy food can help induce contractions (although this theory is not widely proven scientifically!).

Makes me wonder what other weird and wonderful cravings folks might share!

Spicy food cravings are the best! It's great that you could fulfill your cravings responsibly and safely.

My odd craving was for sour gummy candy - the supersour variety. I ended up buying some cute, tiny gummy bears in different sour flavors and would have a few every now and then to satisfy the craving. Luckily, my dentist wasn't too concerned when I visited for my regular checkup! ;-)

It's great to hear everyone's different cravings and how they're managing them. Any more unusual ones you ladies can share? It's quite an adventure!

Spicy food cravings are the best! It's great that you could fulfill your cravings responsibly and safely.

My odd craving was for sour gummy candy - the supersour variety. I ended up buying some cute, tiny gummy bears in different sour flavors and would have a few every now and then to satisfy the craving. Luckily, my dentist wasn't too concerned when I visited for my regular checkup! ;-)

It's great to hear everyone's different cravings and how they're managing them. Any more unusual ones you ladies can share? It's quite an adventure!
You are lucky that your dentist didn’t say a word during your checkup!

I don't recall having any unusually specific cravings like yours, but I definitely had a heightened sense of smell and taste, which made me gravitate towards strong flavors. Some pregnant women would describe it as superpowers or a 6th sense, but really, it's quite annoying when all you want is a normal, bland meal!

Have any moms-to-be shared truly bizarre cravings here? They'd be fascinating to hear!

Some of my cravings were so specific and bizarre that I'm sure they must have seemed ridiculous to anyone listening. I distinctly remember craving chicken nuggets – not just any chicken nuggets, they had to be from McDonalds, and they had to be dipped in a very specific ratio of sweet and sour sauce and barbeque sauce.

I also remember one day when I desperately wanted an entire watermelon - not sliced up, but presented exactly as it looks in the supermarket, with the green rind and everything! Of course, this was completely impractical, and my partner ended up spending hours trying to source one from local farms since we couldn't find them at any store near us.

Another time, I craved a full English breakfast - sausage, bacon, fried eggs, black pudding, the works - but I wanted it all cooked with butter, not oil, and served on a bed of salad leaves with a side of fresh mango chunks. As you can imagine, I spent a lot of time and energy trying to figure out how to prepare these bizarre combinations in ways that wouldn't harm the baby!

I don't think I'd go so far as to say these cravings were enjoyable - they were definitely overwhelming at times - but they did make for some funny stories and added some adventure to my pregnancy!

Those are some very specific and hilarious cravings! I can just imagine the looks your poor partner must have gotten trying to source an un sliced watermelon 😄

The mind boggles at the specific combinations our bodies crave during pregnancy, it's definitely a crazy time food-wise. I'm sure your stories will be great fun to look back on once baby arrives, congratulations by the way!

Thank you so much!! It's been an adventure for sure. My poor husband has had to go on many midnight runs - including one for an actual pineapple tree because I needed fresh pineapples and the grocery store didn't have any! Pregnant me was not happy that night 😅 It'll definitely be funny to look back on all of these crazy cravings soon!!

Thank you so much!! It's been an adventure for sure. My poor husband has had to go on many midnight runs - including one for an actual pineapple tree because I needed fresh pineapples and the grocery store didn't have any! Pregnant me was not happy that night 😅 It'll definitely be funny to look back on all of these crazy cravings soon!!
Your husband sounds patient and understanding! What a trooper. I'm glad you had such an adventurous spirit about your unusual cravings. They do make great postpartum stories, don't they?

Your husband sounds patient and understanding! What a trooper. I'm glad you had such an adventurous spirit about your unusual cravings. They do make great postpartum stories, don't they?
Yes it's quite an experience and certainly keeps everyone on their toes! A pineapple tree - who knew that could be such a precious commodity! You never know what pregnancy might throw at you and it sure does bring out interesting behaviors and moods 😅. It's all part of the wonderful journey though!

looking back on these experiences definitely makes for wonderful memories, which is part of the magic of motherhood! (I can't help but wonder what my future kids would think of their mum's crazy cravings!) But for now, focus on enjoying these unique moments and getting rest where you can; pregnancy can be tiring!

Yes it's quite an experience and certainly keeps everyone on their toes! A pineapple tree - who knew that could be such a precious commodity! You never know what pregnancy might throw at you and it sure does bring out interesting behaviors and moods 😅. It's all part of the wonderful journey though!
When pregnant, there are just some things you cannot fight or explain, especially those bizarre cravings! It's your body's mysterious way of keeping you on your toes and preparing for parenthood; the journey is wonderful, exhausting but wonderful!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
looking back on these experiences definitely makes for wonderful memories, which is part of the magic of motherhood! (I can't help but wonder what my future kids would think of their mum's crazy cravings!) But for now, focus on enjoying these unique moments and getting rest where you can; pregnancy can be tiring!
Motherhood is full of magical and wondrous moments that make up for all the crazy and exhausting experiences. I'm definitely looking forward to sharing these funny episodes with my little one when he or she is older!

At this stage, getting sufficient rest is a challenge that every expectant mum faces, so I totally agree with you - it's best to cherish these moments and take extra good care of ourselves too!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
When pregnant, there are just some things you cannot fight or explain, especially those bizarre cravings! It's your body's mysterious way of keeping you on your toes and preparing for parenthood; the journey is wonderful, exhausting but wonderful!
The unknown intricacies of pregnancy cravings remain a fascinating topic. It's intriguing how our bodies convey these peculiar desires, often for specific foods, as if to ensure the ingestion of a specific nutrient or flavor. As exhausting as it may be, there's certainly a wondrous element to this entire journey that makes it all worth it in the end.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Motherhood is full of magical and wondrous moments that make up for all the crazy and exhausting experiences. I'm definitely looking forward to sharing these funny episodes with my little one when he or she is older!

At this stage, getting sufficient rest is a challenge that every expectant mum faces, so I totally agree with you - it's best to cherish these moments and take extra good care of ourselves too!
Motherhood is a wonderful and exhausting journey; those who've experienced it never seem to regret all the crazy things they did during pregnancy! Remember to keep hydrated and get plenty of rest as you enter your third trimester. Enjoy the peace and quiet while you can, because life will forever be changed once baby arrives!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu