• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy stages and preparation in one thread

The nesting urge is real! I also experienced a sudden urge to clean and organize everything in sight, which was especially true in the later stages of pregnancy. My husband was happy to oblige and helped me move things around as I directed.

I'm glad your husband was understanding of your need to nest, bananarama! It's such a strange but wonderful phenomenon that our bodies go through.
As each person's experience is different, these shared anecdotes are a fun way to prepare for what might come! It's exciting to hear them and imagine the possibilities.

I've been lucky not to have bad morning sickness, just the occasional nausea. But my go-to trick is having ginger candy on standby! They're easy to find in most supermarkets and come in handy when your stomach's feeling queasy. Some mamas might prefer the real thing - fresh ginger tea with a slice of lemon is delicious and helps settle an upset tummy too.

For me, keeping a bland snack nearby also helped. Crackers or toast seem to do the trick for many as the starchiness seems to soak up any excess stomach acid. If you're out and about, keep some plain biscuits with you - they're a lifesaver when you can't run to the nearest cafe!

I've also heard that acupressure bracelets - those colorful silicone ones that apply gentle pressure on the wrist - help alleviate morning sickness. They're worth a try, and they come in fun colors too!
Acupressure actually comes in useful for many discomforts of pregnancy, not just morning sickness. It's an alternative many expecting mothers might want to explore - a natural, drug-free option that can provide some relief!

Some mothers have a relatively easy time during their first trimester, but for many of us, it's quite a challenging phase! Morning sickness and extreme fatigue are common, but the severity varies widely. I was lucky enough to escape severe sickness, but the exhaustion was overwhelming. I slept whenever and wherever I could, often napping in the most random places and positions!

Many women also experience food aversions and sensitivity to smells during this time. The mere thought of certain foods can trigger nausea, so keeping snacks handy that agree with you is key. I lived on crackers and plain rice cakes for a while!
The first trimester really tested my stamina; I had no idea exhaustion could hit me so hard! Fortunately, it's normal for these symptoms to lessen as you progress into the second trimester. Here's hoping the upcoming months treat you kindly, cissy!

I hope that the expectant mothers reading along found these comments assuring too! It's quite reassuring to know that many of our experiences overlap, isn't it?

Though every pregnancy is unique, these shared stories showcase the common challenges and exciting moments we go through. It's a great reminder of the robust and supportive community out there, which is encouraging for all moms-to-be.
There are so many new things to learn and prepare for when expecting a child! It sure helps to have some insight from other mothers who've been through different situations.

Reactions: cissy
Some mothers have a relatively easy time during their first trimester, but for many of us, it's quite a challenging phase! Morning sickness and extreme fatigue are common, but the severity varies widely. I was lucky enough to escape severe sickness, but the exhaustion was overwhelming. I slept whenever and wherever I could, often napping in the most random places and positions!

Many women also experience food aversions and sensitivity to smells during this time. The mere thought of certain foods can trigger nausea, so keeping snacks handy that agree with you is key. I lived on crackers and plain rice cakes for a while!
The first trimester definitely sorts the women from the girls As daunting as it may seem, especially to those who've experienced it, it's a blessing in disguise, preparing your body for what's ahead and strengthening it for the challenges of labour and birth. You got this, ladies! The struggles make the payoff of meeting your little one worth it!

I hope that the expectant mothers reading along found these comments assuring too! It's quite reassuring to know that many of our experiences overlap, isn't it?

Though every pregnancy is unique, these shared stories showcase the common challenges and exciting moments we go through. It's a great reminder of the robust and supportive community out there, which is encouraging for all moms-to-be.
It's nice to have such a wide range of experiences and advice all in one place.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
My nesting instinct kicked in full gear towards the end too and had me spring cleaning and reorganizing our entire house! I even redecorated spaces we didn't plan on changing. The whole place felt brand new, which was refreshing before welcoming our newborn into a cozy, fresh home.
The third trimester seems to be when many women experience this nesting urge! It's interesting how our bodies prepare us for the arrival of our little ones in different yet specific ways.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wellness
My nesting instinct kicked in full gear towards the end too and had me spring cleaning and reorganizing our entire house! I even redecorated spaces we didn't plan on changing. The whole place felt brand new, which was refreshing before welcoming our newborn into a cozy, fresh home.
It's fascinating how our bodies and minds prepare for childbirth in different yet specific ways.

I was one of the luckier ones who didn't have a rough first trimester. But what most people don't realize is the exhaustion that drags you down. It's such a tiring time, and all you want to do is rest wherever and whenever possible.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Some pregnancies can be so different from one another; it's intriguing how the body adjusts and adapts differently each time, even for the same person! It's good to keep an open mind and prepare for these unique variations.
It's a mystery, this wonderful phenomenon of pregnancy and its ever-changing nature!

My pregnancy journey was a memorable one, and these unusual experiences only added to the excitement and wonder of it all. Each stage brought different challenges and wonders.
As mentioned earlier, I had a relatively easy first trimester with no morning sickness, which was a relief. But like many moms here, I had an overwhelming urge to nest. I remember reorganizing our spice rack and sorting our pantry items by expiry dates - habits that annoys my husband but he understood were pregnancy-related!

An odd sensation I experienced was in the later stages of pregnancy, where I felt incredibly itchy all over, especially at nighttime. It was relieved by constant scratching (which wasn't helpful, according to my doctor) and cold showers, which soothed the itch for a bit. It turned out to be an issue with my liver function, causing cholestasis, which is not uncommon in the third trimester. Thankfully, it didn't harm my baby, and he was born healthy, but monitoring was increased towards the end.

Pickles and ice cream is an interesting combination! Pregnancy certainly brings out unique cravings.
I had a sudden and intense craving for sour plum candies, which was very odd because I usually don't enjoy sour sweets. But man, the sourness was so appealing during my pregnancy! I also craved creamy milkshakes and luckily, gave in to this healthier option often.

Some pregnancies can be so different from one another; it's intriguing how the body adjusts and adapts differently each time, even for the same person! It's good to keep an open mind and prepare for these unique variations.
That's true, and it's helpful to keep an open mind because some phenomena, like hyperemesis gravidarum ( severe morning sickness), are not as well known or talked about, so some new moms may be caught off guard. The unknown can be daunting.

As they say, every pregnancy is a snowflake, haha! No two experiences are exactly the same, which makes this thread an invaluable resource for new insights and preparations.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Pickles and ice cream is an interesting combination! Pregnancy certainly brings out unique cravings.
Some craved very specific foods or even non-edible items, which can be perplexing yet amusing. Your senses do go haywire, making for some interesting food adventures! )))

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and travelmum
It's quite fascinating how our bodies adapt differently for each pregnancy even though it's with the same person! Our experiences really do vary so greatly that every expecting mother's journey is an adventure in itself.

I was one of the luckier ones who didn't have a rough first trimester. But what most people don't realize is the exhaustion that drags you down. It's such a tiring time, and all you want to do is rest wherever and whenever possible.
You're right; pregnant women should really seize any chance they get to rest during the first trimester! I remember sleeping through most of my afternoons, sometimes even with my contacts lenses still on! Exhaustion is an understatement to describe that debilitating fatigue.

That's true, and it's helpful to keep an open mind because some phenomena, like hyperemesis gravidarum ( severe morning sickness), are not as well known or talked about, so some new moms may be caught off guard. The unknown can be daunting.
As we share these unique pregnancy experiences, it's creating quite the compendium of helpful information for expecting mothers! I certainly wish I had a resource like this when I was pregnant with my first child. It would've reassured me greatly!

Reactions: greenfingers
The urge to nest can affect expectant parents in different ways! Some of us get quite creative and crafty, while others feel the urge to deep clean and organize. It's a nice way to keep busy and prepare for the arrival of your baby.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu