• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy Health Tips & Advice

It's fascinating how our senses can either soothe or upset our bodies! The same way some of us find citrus soothing, the scent of fresh coffee beans is my personal go-to for instant comfort, though it never helped with morning sickness .

It'd be interesting to hear if anyone else has any unusual scent preferences during their pregnancy that helped settle their nausea.
That's true! Our senses are powerful allies or foes! I'm pregnant now, and the smell of freshly peeled oranges helps ease my queasy stomach. It's so intriguing how smells can affect us so deeply. I also find that the scent of peppermint essential oil is calming, though I've heard some expectant mamas find it too invigorating.

Oh, yeah, you never know what might happen in the upcoming weeks or months. Best to stay prepared and keep a record of what works best for different situations - it's like our very own survival guide!

I was advised by my mom to keep lemon slices/ wedges handy. Besides being refreshing on their own, you can also infuse them in your water or even add a little into your teas for some extra zing! They're especially helpful in the later trimesters when heartburn and indigestion are so common.

Are there any other natural remedies that worked well for you guys? Would love to hear 'em!
I agree that it's beneficial to have a personal record of go-to solutions!

For queasy tummies, ginger candies or cookies really helped me. I also loved snooping around in the fridge - the cool, refreshing aroma of cucumber worked well to mask any funny smells that might've triggered morning sickness. But of course, this could be very specific to individuals!

And I second the suggestion of keeping wedges of fruit on hand. In addition to lemons, I found lime slices really helped with heartburn too!

I agree, those are great suggestions! I'd say having a warm bath with some essential oils like lavender oil can be soothing and relaxing too, helping with aches and pains. Also, listening to calming music or meditation tracks is a good way to ease stress and improve mood - helps with relaxation and sleep. Some women find that yoga or Pilates also eases pregnancy discomforts and boosts energy levels!
Those sound like wonderful suggestions for some at-home spa treatments. It's the perfect time to indulge in some self-care activities, especially with the relaxing scents of essential oils and calming music to create a serene atmosphere.

Pregnancy can be a stressful time, so taking these opportunities to wind down is an excellent way to stay relaxed and enjoy the journey. I've heard great things about prenatal yoga too - it's a fantastic way to keep active and flex those muscles!

That's true! Our senses are powerful allies or foes! I'm pregnant now, and the smell of freshly peeled oranges helps ease my queasy stomach. It's so intriguing how smells can affect us so deeply. I also find that the scent of peppermint essential oil is calming, though I've heard some expectant mamas find it too invigorating.
There's definitely a fine line between comforting and overwhelming with scents! I remember being so sensitive to smells during my pregnancies - it's incredible how our bodies change. Some ladies find herbs like lavender relaxing; I personally found the flowery scent too overwhelming and much preferred the freshness of peppermint! Each body, each pregnancy is so different!

I agree that it's beneficial to have a personal record of go-to solutions!

For queasy tummies, ginger candies or cookies really helped me. I also loved snooping around in the fridge - the cool, refreshing aroma of cucumber worked well to mask any funny smells that might've triggered morning sickness. But of course, this could be very specific to individuals!

And I second the suggestion of keeping wedges of fruit on hand. In addition to lemons, I found lime slices really helped with heartburn too!
Great tip about the cucumbers! I didn't know that could help with morning sickness!

I also found that mint candies or anything menthol-based was a great natural way to combat nausea. The strong scent can be quite a deterrent when you're feeling queasy, and the freshness is so soothing. For some reason, it worked better than actual mints for me - maybe the cooling sensation helped?

I kept a little bag of them in my purse at all times. They were also great because they helped with the occasional headaches too!

Those sound like wonderful suggestions for some at-home spa treatments. It's the perfect time to indulge in some self-care activities, especially with the relaxing scents of essential oils and calming music to create a serene atmosphere.

Pregnancy can be a stressful time, so taking these opportunities to wind down is an excellent way to stay relaxed and enjoy the journey. I've heard great things about prenatal yoga too - it's a fantastic way to keep active and flex those muscles!
Mmmmm...self-care sessions are the best! I love how you've emphasised the importance of stress relief during pregnancy. It can be overwhelming, so taking time to relax and create a peaceful mind helps not just the mum-to-be but also the baby! prenatal yoga is amazing - safe exercise with many benefits and a great chance to bond with other expecting mums too!

There's definitely a fine line between comforting and overwhelming with scents! I remember being so sensitive to smells during my pregnancies - it's incredible how our bodies change. Some ladies find herbs like lavender relaxing; I personally found the flowery scent too overwhelming and much preferred the freshness of peppermint! Each body, each pregnancy is so different!
Yup, that's the conclusion I'm coming to as well - every pregnancy is unique! Senses get heightened and some aromas are just too much. I find that citrus scents seem to be a common comforting smell for queasy tummies!

Mmmmm...self-care sessions are the best! I love how you've emphasised the importance of stress relief during pregnancy. It can be overwhelming, so taking time to relax and create a peaceful mind helps not just the mum-to-be but also the baby! prenatal yoga is amazing - safe exercise with many benefits and a great chance to bond with other expecting mums too!
Absolutely! Prenatal yoga has become increasingly popular, and for good reason! It's a brilliant way to keep yourself in shape and foster that all-important mind-body connection. Plus, it's a great opportunity to meet other moms-to-be and share experiences; mommy friends are always nice to have!

Do you think pregnancy massages are a worthwhile indulgence, or are they more of a luxury than a necessity?

Absolutely! Prenatal yoga has become increasingly popular, and for good reason! It's a brilliant way to keep yourself in shape and foster that all-important mind-body connection. Plus, it's a great opportunity to meet other moms-to-be and share experiences; mommy friends are always nice to have!

Do you think pregnancy massages are a worthwhile indulgence, or are they more of a luxury than a necessity?
Oh yeah! Pregnancy massages are an incredible treat for mum-to-be! They can help ease the discomforts of pregnancy, such as backaches, stiff shoulders and swollen legs, which are quite common. Licensed therapists are trained to adapt their techniques for expectant mothers' safety, so it's a wonderful indulgence with many physical benefits and a chance to unwind mentally too.

I'd say it's a worthwhile investment, almost like a necessity, to ease some of those pregnancy woes, and also an excellent way to celebrate this special period in a woman's life!

Reactions: greenfingers
Oh yeah! Pregnancy massages are an incredible treat for mum-to-be! They can help ease the discomforts of pregnancy, such as backaches, stiff shoulders and swollen legs, which are quite common. Licensed therapists are trained to adapt their techniques for expectant mothers' safety, so it's a wonderful indulgence with many physical benefits and a chance to unwind mentally too.

I'd say it's a worthwhile investment, almost like a necessity, to ease some of those pregnancy woes, and also an excellent way to celebrate this special period in a woman's life!
Massages can address some of the bodily changes that happen during this period, like relaxing the hips and pelvis area, which can become tight and painful. They also increase blood circulation, which is a bonus. It's wonderful how these therapists know all the tricks to make us feel relaxed and comfortable!

What foods do you think are essential in a healthy diet for expectant mothers?

A well-balanced diet is key, but some foods rich in nutrients especially beneficial for expectant mothers include:

Fruits & Veggies: an excellent source of vitamins and minerals - think dark leafy greens and berries, which are packed with antioxidants.

Lean Proteins: Chicken, turkey & fish are great sources of protein, which are essential for baby's growth and also help expecting mothers maintain their energy levels.

Dairy: Milk, yogurt, and cheese are rich in calcium and protein - opt for low-fat options to manage calories without compromising on nutrients.

Whole Grains: Rich in fiber, these keep digestion regular and provide sustained energy release. Think brown rice, quinoa & whole wheat bread/pasta.

Healthy Fats: Avocados, nuts, and seeds are great between-meal snacks and also help meet the increased demand for fats during pregnancy.

In addition, staying hydrated is crucial; drink lots of water throughout the day!

Some additional foods to consider including or increasing during pregnancy are those rich in iron and folate.

Iron-rich foods: red meat, beans, lentils, chickpeas, and spinach. Folate/folic acid is also extremely important, and expectant mothers should consume plenty of dark leafy greens like spinach, as well as oranges and orange juice, fortfied cereals and beans.

These nutrients help with the baby's brain development and also reduce the risk of neural tube defects, so they are definitely worth focusing on!

Some additional foods to consider including or increasing during pregnancy are those rich in iron and folate.

Iron-rich foods: red meat, beans, lentils, chickpeas, and spinach. Folate/folic acid is also extremely important, and expectant mothers should consume plenty of dark leafy greens like spinach, as well as oranges and orange juice, fortfied cereals and beans.

These nutrients help with the baby's brain development and also reduce the risk of neural tube defects, so they are definitely worth focusing on!
Yeah, pregnant moms need all the help they can get to ensure the little one gets the best start. Iron and folate deficiencies have been linked to prenatal depression too. You might want to add liver and other organ meats to the list. They're probably the most nutrient-dense foods out there! But remember to eat them cooked, or in moderation because of the high cholesterol content.

Organ meats are an excellent source of nutrients, especially liver which boasts high levels of iron and folate, making it a great recommendation for pregnant women. Cooked is definitely the way to go, a great way to ensure those cholesterol levels don't cause any issues. Thanks for the tip!

Cooked liver is a nutritious treat for expectant mothers as it's also rich in vitamin B12 and protein. However, it should be consumed in moderation due to its high cholesterol content. Enjoy it as a special indulgence while keeping an eye on overall fat intake!

Do you have any other wholesome suggestions aligned with this topic?

Yeah, pregnant moms need all the help they can get to ensure the little one gets the best start. Iron and folate deficiencies have been linked to prenatal depression too. You might want to add liver and other organ meats to the list. They're probably the most nutrient-dense foods out there! But remember to eat them cooked, or in moderation because of the high cholesterol content.
Pregnant moms certainly do need to focus on nutrition!

Liver and organ meats are very nutrient-dense, so they're excellent choices for expectant mothers, but moderation is key due to their cholesterol content. A balanced diet with a variety of foods is best.

Organ meats are an excellent source of nutrients, especially liver which boasts high levels of iron and folate, making it a great recommendation for pregnant women. Cooked is definitely the way to go, a great way to ensure those cholesterol levels don't cause any issues. Thanks for the tip!
Yes, organ meats are an acquired taste, but they are super nutritious. I remember being advised by my gynecologist to eat liver during my pregnancy, especially because of its high folate content, which helps in fetal development. Folate is super important in those early weeks for cellular growth and preventing neural tube defects, so it's a real super-food for expecting mothers!

Cooking is definitely the safer option, and fortunately, there are many tasty recipes incorporating cooked liver. I found liver pate and stews to be palatable and nutritious ways to consume it.

Some people may find the thought of organ meat unappetizing, but it's definitely worth including in your diet if you can manage the taste. The nutrient density makes it an excellent food choice overall! So, don't hesitate to indulge!

Happy to share such an easy yet valuable tip! Organ meats are an acquired taste, but cooking them right makes them delicious and nutritious food. I recommend trying some yummy recipes online; there are so many ways to enjoy them healthily!

Cooked liver is a nutritious treat for expectant mothers as it's also rich in vitamin B12 and protein. However, it should be consumed in moderation due to its high cholesterol content. Enjoy it as a special indulgence while keeping an eye on overall fat intake!

Fish is a great alternative for pregnant moms-to-be as it's also packed with B12 and other nutrients, especially the deep sea variety that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which help in baby's brain development. But like liver, it should be consumed in moderation and vary the types of fish you eat.

Some varieties may contain higher levels of mercury, so it's best to avoid them altogether or have them infrequently, like tuna. It's safer to go for milder tasting and nutrient-dense options like salmon, tilapia, or cod.

Fish is another food that comes to mind for its wealth of nutrients, especially cold-water fish like salmon which is packed with omega-3 fatty acids and proteins. It's a great alternative for those who don't fancy liver but still want a healthy boost of nutrients.

Just ensure it's well-cooked, and like liver, enjoy it as a treat rather than a staple during pregnancy!

Reactions: bananarama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu