• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy Health Tips & Advice

It's wonderful to hear that you're exploring natural and holistic options. Some essential oils, including lavender oil, are great for promoting relaxation and calming anxiety. However, please remember to dilute them in a carrier oil or consult professionals before use, especially when you're pregnant. Some oils may have contraindications or possible side effects.

As for chiropractic care, it's a safe and drug-free approach that can help alleviate some pregnancy discomforts and prepare the body for labor. But it's essential to find a practitioner experienced in pre-natal care.
Thank you for the additional tips! I've been hearing good things about essential oils and chiropractic care, but I'm also cautious, so your advice is much appreciated.

I've also heard of acupuncture being suggested for pregnancy discomforts, especially for backaches and nausea. Have you heard anything about it?

Thank you for the additional tips! I've been hearing good things about essential oils and chiropractic care, but I'm also cautious, so your advice is much appreciated.

I've also heard of acupuncture being suggested for pregnancy discomforts, especially for backaches and nausea. Have you heard anything about it?
Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medicine practice that involves inserting thin needles into specific body points to alleviate pain and improve health conditions. Many women swear by it, claiming it helps with various pregnancy-related issues like morning sickness, fatigue, and even insomnia. Some studies support its effectiveness for nausea and back pain too.

The needles are sterile and very thin, so the risk of injury is low, but you should always consult a reputable and qualified acupuncturist who has experience treating pregnant women. As with chiropractic care, it's essential to ensure the practitioner is aware you're pregnant, so they can take the necessary precautions.

Some pregnancy bodies do best with gentler techniques, so it's good to explore these options early on to see what works best for you.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
That's very interesting! I've heard of acupuncture being mentioned by friends, but didn't know much about its benefits during pregnancy. It's great to know that it can help with some common issues like nausea and fatigue.

I'm quite curious now - what are some other common conditions it helps with? And is it safe to seek acupuncture treatments throughout all trimesters?

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
That's very interesting! I've heard of acupuncture being mentioned by friends, but didn't know much about its benefits during pregnancy. It's great to know that it can help with some common issues like nausea and fatigue.

I'm quite curious now - what are some other common conditions it helps with? And is it safe to seek acupuncture treatments throughout all trimesters?
Acupuncture is a godsend for expectant mothers who suffer from pregnancy-induced migraines, which are notoriously difficult to treat. It's also a great, drug-free way to ease back pain and sciatica, which can be excruciating as the baby grows and puts pressure on the body.

Some acupuncturists specialize in pregnancy, so seeking them out is a good idea for personalized treatment. As for safety, it's generally regarded as safe during pregnancy, but as with any treatment, consult your doctor first and ensure the practitioner is qualified and experienced in treating pregnant women. Some points are contraindicated during pregnancy, so a well-trained acupuncturist will be aware of these and adjust treatments accordingly.

Acupuncture is a godsend for expectant mothers who suffer from pregnancy-induced migraines, which are notoriously difficult to treat. It's also a great, drug-free way to ease back pain and sciatica, which can be excruciating as the baby grows and puts pressure on the body.

Some acupuncturists specialize in pregnancy, so seeking them out is a good idea for personalized treatment. As for safety, it's generally regarded as safe during pregnancy, but as with any treatment, consult your doctor first and ensure the practitioner is qualified and experienced in treating pregnant women. Some points are contraindicated during pregnancy, so a well-trained acupuncturist will be aware of these and adjust treatments accordingly.
That sounds like good advice, especially the part about seeking out specialized acupuncturists who are experienced with treating pregnant women. After all, some conditions can be quite sensitive!

I wonder if it also helps with morning sickness, which seems to plague many expectant mothers in their first trimester. Does it really make a difference, or are there other treatments that work better for that specific issue?

For morning sickness, acupuncture can provide relief! Studies have shown that it significantly reduces symptoms of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.

Some women find acupressure wrist bands helpful too. These are commonly recommended by healthcare providers for morning sickness. They're safe, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive.

There's also the traditional route of using crackers or dry toast to settle the stomach in the mornings, and some herbal teas are believed to help with nausea. Ginger is a popular ingredient often used to ease stomach upset, but pregnant women should consume it in moderation and consult their doctors first.

For severe cases of morning sickness, there are medications that can be prescribed, but always check with your healthcare provider first! Hypnosis has also been an explored method to combat nausea, though it's more controversial and should be approached with caution.

Every pregnancy is different, so it's good to keep an open mind and stock up on a few options to help with morning sickness. It usually passes by the second trimester, but it's still nice to have some solutions on hand!

Some great suggestions here! It's helpful to have a range of options as every pregnancy is so different.

I found cold, fragrant citrus fruits helped settle my stomach in early pregnancy - especially frozen lemons and limes cut into wedges and sucked on like sweets! The sharpness and aroma were very soothing and seemed to help with the queasy feeling.

Also, frozen ginger lollies or ice cubes of ginger tea are a good way of keeping the benefits of ginger without overdoing it - a little goes a long way! And easy to have on hand in the freezer.

Great additional tips!

I'll have to share the citrus and frozen ginger ideas with my sister - she's currently in her first trimester and struggling with sickness.

It's interesting how effective aromatherapy can be during pregnancy; I found inhaling the steam from a hot bowl of lemon water helped me too, especially when I was feeling particularly nauseous.

Citrus seems to be a great go-to for battling morning sickness! Aromatherapy can be incredibly soothing; it's great that inhaling lemon water helped you too.

Hot drinks and soups with a strong citrus scent always seemed to help me keep my appetite up when I couldn't stomach much else, and they're so comforting when you're feeling unwell.

Does anyone else find certain smells can trigger nausea? I found some essential oils - particularly lavender - really helped calm my stomach when other scents were too much.

For morning sickness, acupuncture can provide relief! Studies have shown that it significantly reduces symptoms of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.

Some women find acupressure wrist bands helpful too. These are commonly recommended by healthcare providers for morning sickness. They're safe, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive.

There's also the traditional route of using crackers or dry toast to settle the stomach in the mornings, and some herbal teas are believed to help with nausea. Ginger is a popular ingredient often used to ease stomach upset, but pregnant women should consume it in moderation and consult their doctors first.

For severe cases of morning sickness, there are medications that can be prescribed, but always check with your healthcare provider first! Hypnosis has also been an explored method to combat nausea, though it's more controversial and should be approached with caution.

Every pregnancy is different, so it's good to keep an open mind and stock up on a few options to help with morning sickness. It usually passes by the second trimester, but it's still nice to have some solutions on hand!
Yes, I've heard of these methods! Acupuncture and acupressure really help with many discomforts during pregnancy. I found ginger tea soothing too, though, like you mentioned, it's good to check with a doctor first as some women find ginger irritating.

There are also pregnancy herbal blends that are safe and specially formulated for queasy tummies. Some essential oils are also safe to use and can be quite calming--another natural and inexpensive option!

With all these options, it's good to remember every pregnancy is different and what works for one may not work for another. It's definitely a good idea to keep a range of options handy!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny

Yeah, I've heard of the wonders of acupuncture for morning sickness relief, quite popular among the moms in my group too. Cracker and dry toast work like charm too, though somehow not as exciting as the needles haha!

Herbal teas are soothing and nice, but yeah, need to be careful with what's consumption during pregnancy. Ginger's a great ingredient, but definitely not a cure-all and should be taken in moderation - agree with you there!

With so many options available, it's good to remember that it's a trial-and-error process to see what works best for each individual.

Great additional tips!

I'll have to share the citrus and frozen ginger ideas with my sister - she's currently in her first trimester and struggling with sickness.

It's interesting how effective aromatherapy can be during pregnancy; I found inhaling the steam from a hot bowl of lemon water helped me too, especially when I was feeling particularly nauseous.
Yeah, aromatherapy is comforting and soothing for pregnant mums who are dealing with morning sickness. The lemony scent is so uplifting and energizing! It's a simple and natural way to ease those nausea feelings. Does wonders for headaches too!

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
Citrus seems to be a great go-to for battling morning sickness! Aromatherapy can be incredibly soothing; it's great that inhaling lemon water helped you too.

Hot drinks and soups with a strong citrus scent always seemed to help me keep my appetite up when I couldn't stomach much else, and they're so comforting when you're feeling unwell.

Does anyone else find certain smells can trigger nausea? I found some essential oils - particularly lavender - really helped calm my stomach when other scents were too much.
I am so glad that aromatherapy works for soothing your queasy tum! It is amazing how our senses can influence our wellbeing. Scents like coconut and jasmine often make me feel uneasy, so I totally relate to sensory triggers causing nausea.

I second the power of citrus scents! They're refreshing and never fail to perk me up, especially during pregnancy when smells and tastes can be so heightened and overwhelming. As for triggering nausea, oh yes - perfumes and certain food smells did that to me, especially in my first trimester. Can't stand strong-smelling lavender too; it's so overpowering!

Yes, I've heard of these methods! Acupuncture and acupressure really help with many discomforts during pregnancy. I found ginger tea soothing too, though, like you mentioned, it's good to check with a doctor first as some women find ginger irritating.

There are also pregnancy herbal blends that are safe and specially formulated for queasy tummies. Some essential oils are also safe to use and can be quite calming--another natural and inexpensive option!

With all these options, it's good to remember every pregnancy is different and what works for one may not work for another. It's definitely a good idea to keep a range of options handy!
That's true; essential oils can be a great natural, holistic approach to easing morning sickness. Citrusy aromas like lemon and mint are often recommended, but again, scents are very subjective, so it's best to go with whatever fragrance is soothing and uplifting to the individual.

Some women also find comfort in wearing special nausea-easing wristbands that apply pressure to the acupuncture point P6 , which is believed to alleviate symptoms of motion sickness and morning sickness. It's a simple, drug-free method that can be used anytime, anywhere.

And of course, having a variety of options at hand ensures that you're prepared for all scenarios! It's exciting to discover what works best for each expectant mother as it's a very personal experience.

Yeah, I've heard of the wonders of acupuncture for morning sickness relief, quite popular among the moms in my group too. Cracker and dry toast work like charm too, though somehow not as exciting as the needles haha!

Herbal teas are soothing and nice, but yeah, need to be careful with what's consumption during pregnancy. Ginger's a great ingredient, but definitely not a cure-all and should be taken in moderation - agree with you there!

With so many options available, it's good to remember that it's a trial-and-error process to see what works best for each individual.
Absolutely! And it's important to remember that even within the same pregnancy, what works may vary. So, it's good to have a few go-to methods and maybe some new ones to try when the current solution stops working.

For example, herbal teas can be soothing, but some women find that certain herbs really upset their stomachs, so it's good to keep trying different kinds and paying attention to your body's reaction.

On the subject of tea, lemon or mint tea is a common suggestion for settling the stomach, and also helping with heartburn which is a common issue later in pregnancy. But as with all things, pregnant women should remember to consume these in moderation and consult a healthcare professional if they're unsure!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Yeah, aromatherapy is comforting and soothing for pregnant mums who are dealing with morning sickness. The lemony scent is so uplifting and energizing! It's a simple and natural way to ease those nausea feelings. Does wonders for headaches too!
You've got some great tips here. I'd add that it's a good idea to have some mint tea bags on hand too - they're helpful for an upset tummy, and the fresh smell is soothing. Also, pregnancy pillows can help with sleep and comfort, especially during the later stages when the belly really starts to grow!

What other natural remedies or comforts do you ladies swear by?

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
I am so glad that aromatherapy works for soothing your queasy tum! It is amazing how our senses can influence our wellbeing. Scents like coconut and jasmine often make me feel uneasy, so I totally relate to sensory triggers causing nausea.
It's fascinating how our senses can either soothe or upset our bodies! The same way some of us find citrus soothing, the scent of fresh coffee beans is my personal go-to for instant comfort, though it never helped with morning sickness .

It'd be interesting to hear if anyone else has any unusual scent preferences during their pregnancy that helped settle their nausea.

Absolutely! And it's important to remember that even within the same pregnancy, what works may vary. So, it's good to have a few go-to methods and maybe some new ones to try when the current solution stops working.

For example, herbal teas can be soothing, but some women find that certain herbs really upset their stomachs, so it's good to keep trying different kinds and paying attention to your body's reaction.

On the subject of tea, lemon or mint tea is a common suggestion for settling the stomach, and also helping with heartburn which is a common issue later in pregnancy. But as with all things, pregnant women should remember to consume these in moderation and consult a healthcare professional if they're unsure!
Oh, yeah, you never know what might happen in the upcoming weeks or months. Best to stay prepared and keep a record of what works best for different situations - it's like our very own survival guide!

I was advised by my mom to keep lemon slices/ wedges handy. Besides being refreshing on their own, you can also infuse them in your water or even add a little into your teas for some extra zing! They're especially helpful in the later trimesters when heartburn and indigestion are so common.

Are there any other natural remedies that worked well for you guys? Would love to hear 'em!

You've got some great tips here. I'd add that it's a good idea to have some mint tea bags on hand too - they're helpful for an upset tummy, and the fresh smell is soothing. Also, pregnancy pillows can help with sleep and comfort, especially during the later stages when the belly really starts to grow!

What other natural remedies or comforts do you ladies swear by?
I agree, those are great suggestions! I'd say having a warm bath with some essential oils like lavender oil can be soothing and relaxing too, helping with aches and pains. Also, listening to calming music or meditation tracks is a good way to ease stress and improve mood - helps with relaxation and sleep. Some women find that yoga or Pilates also eases pregnancy discomforts and boosts energy levels!

Reactions: lioness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu