• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting twins and multiples

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips or advice on parenting multiples? I'm expecting twins soon, and although I'm thrilled, it's also incredibly daunting! I'm interested to hear from parents who have been through this experience and have some insight to share. What were some of your challenges and triumphs? How did you navigate the early days and months? Any tips for preparing myself and organizing things in advance are welcome!

Does anyone have any tips or advice on parenting multiples? I'm expecting twins soon, and although I'm thrilled, it's also incredibly daunting! I'm interested to hear from parents who have been through this experience and have some insight to share. What were some of your challenges and triumphs? How did you navigate the early days and months? Any tips for preparing myself and organizing things in advance are welcome!
As a parent of a 3-year-old, here are some of my observations: The first few months are physically demanding as you will be tired and sleep-deprived. One challenge is finding time for each baby's needs, and bonding can be tricky when they both need you at the same time! Organization and routine are key to surviving those early days - label everything, have a simple system for essentials, and plan meals in advance. Also, accepting help from others is vital; you can't do it all yourself!

As a parent of a 3-year-old, here are some of my observations: The first few months are physically demanding as you will be tired and sleep-deprived. One challenge is finding time for each baby's needs, and bonding can be tricky when they both need you at the same time! Organization and routine are key to surviving those early days - label everything, have a simple system for essentials, and plan meals in advance. Also, accepting help from others is vital; you can't do it all yourself!
Yes the first few months' blitz of feeding, changing, and rocking can really put your endurance to the test! Establishing a routine, or at least figuring out what works, is crucial for maintaining some sanity, haha.

Many parents often ask how one can possibly distinguish between two babies, especially when they're brand new. But somehow, that instinct kicks in, and you'll know which baby is which, even though they look identical! I remember having to learn to be super organized and label everything clearly - bottle bags for each baby and color-code them, haha!

I found it helpful to set up a system for essential items like bottles, pacifiers, and small toys, so they're easy to find and grab when needed. And as your babies grow older, you'll need help keeping track of whose clothes/toys are whose, especially when they start talking and asserting their independence!

Speaking of help, it's good that you're aware that you won't be able to do everything by yourself. It took me some time to learn to accept help, but having an extra pair of hands can be a lifesaver, be it holding a fussy baby for you to take a quick shower or helping with the dishes. Don't hesitate to reach out to your partner, family members, or friends!

Also, I'm sure you've probably heard this before, but do keep a sleep schedule for yourself. When the babies are napping, try to catch some z's too, even if it's just lying down and closing your eyes for relaxation. It really helps to have that reserves of energy stored up, especially when one or both decide they want some extra cuddles or need attention in the middle of the night!

Last but not least, enjoy the ride and try not to stress too much; it's such a cliche, but time really does fly. Before you know it, your twins will be running around and having their own little conversations. Enjoy the uniqueness of this special bond they'll share!

Yes the first few months' blitz of feeding, changing, and rocking can really put your endurance to the test! Establishing a routine, or at least figuring out what works, is crucial for maintaining some sanity, haha.

Many parents often ask how one can possibly distinguish between two babies, especially when they're brand new. But somehow, that instinct kicks in, and you'll know which baby is which, even though they look identical! I remember having to learn to be super organized and label everything clearly - bottle bags for each baby and color-code them, haha!

I found it helpful to set up a system for essential items like bottles, pacifiers, and small toys, so they're easy to find and grab when needed. And as your babies grow older, you'll need help keeping track of whose clothes/toys are whose, especially when they start talking and asserting their independence!

Speaking of help, it's good that you're aware that you won't be able to do everything by yourself. It took me some time to learn to accept help, but having an extra pair of hands can be a lifesaver, be it holding a fussy baby for you to take a quick shower or helping with the dishes. Don't hesitate to reach out to your partner, family members, or friends!

Also, I'm sure you've probably heard this before, but do keep a sleep schedule for yourself. When the babies are napping, try to catch some z's too, even if it's just lying down and closing your eyes for relaxation. It really helps to have that reserves of energy stored up, especially when one or both decide they want some extra cuddles or need attention in the middle of the night!

Last but not least, enjoy the ride and try not to stress too much; it's such a cliche, but time really does fly. Before you know it, your twins will be running around and having their own little conversations. Enjoy the uniqueness of this special bond they'll share!
You're right about the sleep schedule - I've heard that tip a few times, and I'm going to keep that in mind! Getting some rest when the twins nap is probably going to be crucial for my sanity, especially in those intense initial weeks.

Labeling and organisation sound like smart strategies, and I'm already thinking of how I can implement these hacks effectively. I'll probably end up getting creative with colour-coding too, haha!

It's reassuring to hear that instincts kick in, and parents can usually tell their babies apart despite their identical appearances - that's funny and sweet!

Thanks for sharing; I'm taking all of these tips on board - they're practical, honest, and comforting! ****

Reactions: lioness
You're right about the sleep schedule - I've heard that tip a few times, and I'm going to keep that in mind! Getting some rest when the twins nap is probably going to be crucial for my sanity, especially in those intense initial weeks.

Labeling and organisation sound like smart strategies, and I'm already thinking of how I can implement these hacks effectively. I'll probably end up getting creative with colour-coding too, haha!

It's reassuring to hear that instincts kick in, and parents can usually tell their babies apart despite their identical appearances - that's funny and sweet!

Thanks for sharing; I'm taking all of these tips on board - they're practical, honest, and comforting! ****
You're welcome. Best of luck and keep your spirit up! It's a wild ride ahead but full of double the fun and cuddles! 😊

You're welcome. Best of luck and keep your spirit up! It's a wild ride ahead but full of double the fun and cuddles! 😊
Having twins is a joyful and unique experience. The first few months can be intense, but it's also a special time to treasure despite the challenges. You're going to do great!

Reactions: happyfeet
Having twins is a joyful and unique experience. The first few months can be intense, but it's also a special time to treasure despite the challenges. You're going to do great!
Thank you! I'm keeping my fingers crossed and preparing myself mentally for a fun and fulfilling ride ahead with double the trouble and double the fun 😅💪🏼!

Thank you! I'm keeping my fingers crossed and preparing myself mentally for a fun and fulfilling ride ahead with double the trouble and double the fun 😅💪🏼!
You're off to a good start, being mentally prepared for the challenges. Keep up the positive attitude!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
You're off to a good start, being mentally prepared for the challenges. Keep up the positive attitude!
There's only so much one can prepare for parenting twins, I guess! But I appreciate the encouragement; thank you 🙂.

There's only so much one can prepare for parenting twins, I guess! But I appreciate the encouragement; thank you 🙂.
you seem to have a realistic outlook and a healthy amount of enthusiasm! Your positivity may help other parents here feel more encouraged too.
I'm sure you will do well with your twins!

you seem to have a realistic outlook and a healthy amount of enthusiasm! Your positivity may help other parents here feel more encouraged too.
I'm sure you will do well with your twins!
That's kind of you to say so! Thank you 😊 I'm excited - brought lots of colour-coded labels and storage containers to keep us organized! 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦🌈

That's kind of you to say so! Thank you 😊 I'm excited - brought lots of colour-coded labels and storage containers to keep us organized! 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦🌈
Organisation is half the battle won! Well prepared with those storage containers and labels. It's a fun adventure awaiting!

Organisation is half the battle won! Well prepared with those storage containers and labels. It's a fun adventure awaiting!
I'm glad that I'm somewhat prepared for the logistics of twins; it's encouraging to hear that this may count for a lot! Thanks so much :) Can't wait to put my organisation system to the test haha! Have a great weekend!

I'm glad that I'm somewhat prepared for the logistics of twins; it's encouraging to hear that this may count for a lot! Thanks so much :) Can't wait to put my organisation system to the test haha! Have a great weekend!
You too, enjoy your weekend with your little ones! Make the most of the excitement and keep your organisational prowess ready for action. 😎😌

You too, enjoy your weekend with your little ones! Make the most of the excitement and keep your organisational prowess ready for action. 😎😌
Enjoying some quiet time after a hectic weekend preparing the nursery with my hubby. Can finally visualize how our twins will settle into their new rooms - so exciting! Hope you had a fun-filled family weekend too, queen!

Enjoying some quiet time after a hectic weekend preparing the nursery with my hubby. Can finally visualize how our twins will settle into their new rooms - so exciting! Hope you had a fun-filled family weekend too, queen!
Hectic but fulfilling Enjoy that calm before the storm then, soon enough those tiny tot's going to take over your whole home 😂😌. I'm sure you're ready for anything though, with all those colour coordinated prep work done! Have a lovely evening, dear!

Hectic but fulfilling Enjoy that calm before the storm then, soon enough those tiny tot's going to take over your whole home 😂😌. I'm sure you're ready for anything though, with all those colour coordinated prep work done! Have a lovely evening, dear!
You're right; the chaos of settling in will begin soon! I'm enjoying this peaceful period before the storm 😅 Hopefully, the twins won't sense my nervousness when they arrive 😬 Have a good night's rest ahead!

You're right; the chaos of settling in will begin soon! I'm enjoying this peaceful period before the storm 😅 Hopefully, the twins won't sense my nervousness when they arrive 😬 Have a good night's rest ahead!
Nervousness is pretty normal, I'd say, especially with two on the way! I think as long as you're confident and calm (most of the time), that itself is reassuring to tiny ones :) So excited to meet them!

Nervousness is pretty normal, I'd say, especially with two on the way! I think as long as you're confident and calm (most of the time), that itself is reassuring to tiny ones :) So excited to meet them!
Yes, the jitters are absolutely normal - good to know it's a universal emotion! The excitement of meeting them will have to overcome those nerves 😁 Have a wonderful week ahead!

Yes, the jitters are absolutely normal - good to know it's a universal emotion! The excitement of meeting them will have to overcome those nerves 😁 Have a wonderful week ahead!
Thank you, you too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu