• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Secrets

You're right; the planning can be enjoyable! I like to keep things exciting by setting up an impromptu forts night, especially after a exhausting day at work. It's usually a special treat for my little one, with her favorite snacks and a new storybook hidden inside the fort. The setup is easy because the surprise factor makes it extra fun, and the walls of the fort provide some much-needed physical barrier between me and my tiny tot when I need to cook dinner or attend to other tasks. Win-win!
That's a cute idea which doesn't require much prep work but still provides lots of enjoyment, especially for exhausted moms who need some hands-free time. It's lovely how you make the ordinary extraordinary! Forts night sounds like a wonderful tradition.

As for me, my tried-and-true trick is keeping a collection of reusable sticky traps hidden up my sleeve for those inevitable sticky situations - literal ones haha! You never know when a bit of toddler mischief will happen, and these can be used for so many things: from collecting spills to picking up stray craft glitter. I also keep some spare stickers tucked away, which come into play during those especially fidgety mealtimes! They're easy rewards for good eating habits and a great distraction when the food on their plate is taking forever to disappear """
Oh, yes! As parents, we should definitely keep a stash of useful items like your sticky traps - versatile and lifesaving! - and rewards like stickers are classic go-to's that never seem to fail. They're small things, but they can make a huge difference!

Reactions: travelmum
There's no need to break the bank with parenting. Some of the most effective strategies are low prep or even no prep! For instance, the classic game of Charades never fails to keep my kids entertained. All it takes is some running around and wild gestures, and their imaginations do the rest! Often, it's these freely-played, unstructured games that provide an outlet for their creativity and develop their ability to think on their feet. Free entertainment at its best!
Another classic that comes to mind is playing "I spy," especially when we're out and about in public places like malls or parks. My son loves the intrigue of observing and interpreting clues from subtle hints, and it's delightful to see him making connections and guessing accurately. These little games often create precious moments of bonding too!

I especially appreciate the 'surprise element' when it buys me some time to tend to other matters, and the kids remain none the wiser. A win-win The satisfaction of discovering such a solution feels like uncovering a hidden gem!
That's the power of novel and engaging activities - they captivate their attention completely! Glad you've found these work so well as your secret weapons. Enjoy that well-deserved peace while it lasts, mums have to take all the sanctuary they can get! ;)

• Love
Reactions: wellness
It's an art to keep children engaged and amused with novel ideas, especially since their interests can be short-lived. You've pointed out one key strategy many parents may overlook! Well done, and kudos to you for sharing your insights with us! It's a joy to discover these little wins 😊

Absolutely! We often discover our own creative solutions just by observing our little ones, and learning their interests and capabilities through play. I enjoy seeing how my daughter approaches problems and creating little experiences tailored to her interests. Seeing the joy and wonder in her eyes makes all the preparation worthwhile! 😊
Parenting throws many challenges our way, but thankfully there's no shortage of creative solutions too! The little things we discover often make a big difference, sometimes more than we'd imagined. It's encouraging to know that the simplest ideas can have an impactful and lasting power when it comes to caring for our children.

Oh, yes! As parents, we should definitely keep a stash of useful items like your sticky traps - versatile and lifesaving! - and rewards like stickers are classic go-to's that never seem to fail. They're small things, but they can make a huge difference!
It's these little things that can make parenting much more enjoyable, especially when you have sustainable solutions at the ready. It allows you to enjoy the little moments without the stress.

That's a cute idea which doesn't require much prep work but still provides lots of enjoyment, especially for exhausted moms who need some hands-free time. It's lovely how you make the ordinary extraordinary! Forts night sounds like a wonderful tradition.
I like how you incorporate lots of visual and tactile surprises - from setting up fort themes to that special storybook element. Such delightful touches really create special memories!

The creativity shared in this thread is endearing. It's great to witness so many fun ideas one can try out!

You are right; the preparation can be fun for us parents too! I also enjoy creating little themed goodie bags, making sure to include a mix of treats, quirky toys, and some educational element that hopefully goes unnoticed. Haha! A "secret mission" definitely sounds more exciting than the mundane reality of parenthood!
I appreciate the encouragement to share these little tips - sometimes, we just need reassurance that we're doing okay. So thank you!
It's heartening to hear from other parents that these little strategies work for their families too; it's comforting to know we're not alone in our everyday challenges!

You are right; the preparation can be fun for us parents too! I also enjoy creating little themed goodie bags, making sure to include a mix of treats, quirky toys, and some educational element that hopefully goes unnoticed. Haha! A "secret mission" definitely sounds more exciting than the mundane reality of parenthood!
I appreciate the encouragement to share these little tips - sometimes, we just need reassurance that we're doing okay. So thank you!
It's the little things that give us pleasure as parents, and it's always heartening to hear about others' discoveries too. There's no need for elaborate preparations or expensive outings to keep the kids engaged; simple, sustainable solutions are the way to go!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
That's the power of novel and engaging activities - they captivate their attention completely! Glad you've found these work so well as your secret weapons. Enjoy that well-deserved peace while it lasts, mums have to take all the sanctuary they can get! ;)
novel every mama has her own bag of parenting tricks to keep those lil rascals entertained and engaged. your stash of surprises is bound to come in useful as your little ones grow more curious and active!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and travelmum
I like how you incorporate lots of visual and tactile surprises - from setting up fort themes to that special storybook element. Such delightful touches really create special memories!
As a mom, I've learned that the key to survival - er, success lies in creativity and adaptability. Children grow and develop so quickly that as parents, we must stay on our toes, thinking up new ways to engage them. You're right; creating lasting memories is a wonderful bonus when you discover fun activities that capture their attention.

novel every mama has her own bag of parenting tricks to keep those lil rascals entertained and engaged. your stash of surprises is bound to come in useful as your little ones grow more curious and active!
It's always nice discovering new ideas to add to our parenting arsenal! You never know when a particular trick might come in handy with kids around.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu