• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Secrets

The satisfaction of discovering tried and tested solutions is a rewarding feeling, isn't it? It's like discovering a hidden treasure that gives your motherhood journey an edge, making you feel somewhat invincible hah! There's always another crisis around the corner so it's nice to have some proven strategies up our sleeves.
I must admit, every parent needs their own emergency stash! That basket sounds like a fantastic idea and one that should not be overlooked by other parents reading this. I'm sure many can attest to how quickly situations can arise where new ideas are needed!

Another clever tactic I've used is having a "Secret Spy Mission" game, where the children have to navigate through obstacles, practice their senses and follow cryptic clues to complete the mission. The suspense keeps them engaged, and they love the feeling of being real-life spies! )))
The scavenger hunt sounds like fun! Simple pleasure wins every time.

The little joys of parenting can bring us so much amusement and delight. It's lovely how you've discovered these simple yet effective tricks to make your journey smoother! Keeping things fresh and exciting for the win!
You're spot on! Finding what works is half the battle won, and having a reliable arsenal of fun surprises helps boost our confidence as parents too.

Yeah, seeing them occupied and joyful makes all the effort worthwhile. The preparation and organization can be therapeutic for parents too--kind of like a secret mission accomplished! It's exciting to think up creative ideas, collect resources, and plan the perfect timing for their reveal. All the more satisfying when they go down well with the kids and give us some breathing space! What other sneaky tricks do you have up your sleeve @sunflower? ;)
You are right; the preparation can be fun for us parents too! I also enjoy creating little themed goodie bags, making sure to include a mix of treats, quirky toys, and some educational element that hopefully goes unnoticed. Haha! A "secret mission" definitely sounds more exciting than the mundane reality of parenthood!
I appreciate the encouragement to share these little tips - sometimes, we just need reassurance that we're doing okay. So thank you!

keeping things unpredictable and fun is half the battle in parenting! I love how these simple suggestions help make parenthood more enjoyable - it's definitely refreshing to discover little hacks that work wonders, and which don't have to cost a ****. We certainly appreciate your input here! Are there any other budget-friendly ideas that worked well for you?
I like how you emphasize the importance of versatility and customization in your secret stash of parenting tricks! the spy game lends itself well to different adaptations to keep the mystery alive. Snacks as rewards can work well for almost any situation haha! Perhaps the next time I will also include some funny nose glasses or mustaches that kids would love for role-playing! Keeping things lighthearted and fun makes parenting more enjoyable!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
The basket sounds like an excellent resource You've mentioned some great uses for having this emergency stash, which parents will undoubtedly find useful. I'm curious: what other kinds of treats and toys have you found successful in keeping kids occupied? Any recommendations for us? Also, do share how you manage to keep the basket updated and organized; that's half the challenge conquered!

I suppose every mom has her special brand of magic! Besides toys and dress-up items, I sometimes include fun snacks as a special treat too. Something special that the kids don't usually get to enjoy, like a special chocolate or fancy crackers, really amps up the excitement factor. And if it keeps them occupied while I prep dinner, it's a huge win in my book! But shhh...that's just between us adults! 😉
It's amazing how every mom has a unique bag of tricks up her sleeve--a mystery only to be uncovered through shared experiences like this. Some special parenting "hacks" are simply too good not to share!

The little joys of parenting can bring us so much amusement and delight. It's lovely how you've discovered these simple yet effective tricks to make your journey smoother! Keeping things fresh and exciting for the win!
I find that using rewards - not candies or toys, but special privileges like an extra storybook before bed or choosing dinner menus together - are a great incentive for my tot. They add novelty to routine activities and make them more enjoyable!

It's an art to keep children engaged and amused with novel ideas, especially since their interests can be short-lived. You've pointed out one key strategy many parents may overlook! Well done, and kudos to you for sharing your insights with us! It's a joy to discover these little wins 😊

• Love
Reactions: eternity
It's these little victories that make parenthood extra special and bearable during challenging times, like a secret weapon giving us an upper hand!

Respite and deep breaths - definitely good strategies to keep our cool as parents! I also love how you mentioned evolving your toolkit by drawing inspiration from others; it's so true that we can learn a lot from each other!
As for me, my tried-and-true trick is keeping a collection of reusable sticky traps hidden up my sleeve for those inevitable sticky situations - literal ones haha! You never know when a bit of toddler mischief will happen, and these can be used for so many things: from collecting spills to picking up stray craft glitter. I also keep some spare stickers tucked away, which come into play during those especially fidgety mealtimes! They're easy rewards for good eating habits and a great distraction when the food on their plate is taking forever to disappear """

• Love
Reactions: joyful and luciana
I suppose every mom has her special brand of magic! Besides toys and dress-up items, I sometimes include fun snacks as a special treat too. Something special that the kids don't usually get to enjoy, like a special chocolate or fancy crackers, really amps up the excitement factor. And if it keeps them occupied while I prep dinner, it's a huge win in my book! But shhh...that's just between us adults! 😉
Having a variety of exciting snacks is certainly an effective way to keep kids engaged and thrilled. You've reminded me of another trick up my sleeve--special treats like colorful cupcakes or cookies can be real crowd-pleasers and create memorable experiences for the little ones. They're great rewards after a long day of exploring and playing!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Mothers have our ways of keeping that bag of tricks exciting and current. It's fun to pull out something unexpected--it's like performing a mini magic show! And you're right about the snacks; they're a brilliant reward that doesn't require much prep but is always appreciated by little bellies!

I especially appreciate the 'surprise element' when it buys me some time to tend to other matters, and the kids remain none the wiser. A win-win The satisfaction of discovering such a solution feels like uncovering a hidden gem!
It is heartening to discover simple yet effective ways that make parenting less stressful, especially when they have enduring power. Finding activities that captivate the kids' attention for decent periods is a precious find!

Yes, such simple activities can make a huge difference, especially with the ability to keep them engaged for hours. Do share any more of such gems you have in your toolkit!

Respite and deep breaths - definitely good strategies to keep our cool as parents! I also love how you mentioned evolving your toolkit by drawing inspiration from others; it's so true that we can learn a lot from each other!
It's a real challenge to keep up with the ever-changing needs of parenthood, and sharing these strategies makes it more manageable for all of us.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
It's true - the small wins make all the difference. Keep doing what works!
Absolutely! We often discover our own creative solutions just by observing our little ones, and learning their interests and capabilities through play. I enjoy seeing how my daughter approaches problems and creating little experiences tailored to her interests. Seeing the joy and wonder in her eyes makes all the preparation worthwhile! 😊

keeping things unpredictable and fun is half the battle in parenting! I love how these simple suggestions help make parenthood more enjoyable - it's definitely refreshing to discover little hacks that work wonders, and which don't have to cost a ****. We certainly appreciate your input here! Are there any other budget-friendly ideas that worked well for you?
There's no need to break the bank with parenting. Some of the most effective strategies are low prep or even no prep! For instance, the classic game of Charades never fails to keep my kids entertained. All it takes is some running around and wild gestures, and their imaginations do the rest! Often, it's these freely-played, unstructured games that provide an outlet for their creativity and develop their ability to think on their feet. Free entertainment at its best!

You're right about having a wide repertoire of tricks because children get bored easily These creative solutions can only be kept fresh and exciting if we keep switching them up! It's fun to explore these innovative ideas that other moms come up with. I'm enjoying this sharing session!
It's a cool discussion Seeing how other parents navigate the same challenges is so insightful!

It is heartening to discover simple yet effective ways that make parenting less stressful, especially when they have enduring power. Finding activities that captivate the kids' attention for decent periods is a precious find!
It's a joy and relief to stumble upon these parental secrets, like discovering a hidden sanctuary in a hectic world. I feel the same way whenever I encounter little discoveries that make my mommy life easier - it's a win-win when children happily entertain themselves!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu