• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Secrets

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your top parenting secret or hack! It can be anything from how you keep your sanity intact, to your best distraction technique when you need some peace and quiet, or even an easy fun meal that your kids love!

I'll go first! My son loves a good scavenger hunt, so if I need some time to prepare dinner or just have some quiet adult time, I'll create a scavenger hunt list and send him on his way. It gives me at least 30 mins of peace every time and he has fun too!

Share your top parenting secret or hack! It can be anything from how you keep your sanity intact, to your best distraction technique when you need some peace and quiet, or even an easy fun meal that your kids love!

I'll go first! My son loves a good scavenger hunt, so if I need some time to prepare dinner or just have some quiet adult time, I'll create a scavenger hunt list and send him on his way. It gives me at least 30 mins of peace every time and he has fun too!
When the kids are bored and full of energy, a good old game of "Spy Mission" does the trick! I'll give them a fun disguise - could be as simple as a pair of sunglasses or a cap - and send them on a mission to find certain objects in the house. They love the suspense and the feeling of being a secret agent, plus it keeps them occupied for a good while!

My girl loves it when I prepare special 'Shakes' for her. They're basically smoothies with yogurt, frozen fruits, milk and some honey for sweetness. I put them in fancy straw-equipped cups and she feels like she's having a treat, keeping her occupied and happy while mummy does some work from home!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
When the kids are bored and full of energy, a good old game of "Spy Mission" does the trick! I'll give them a fun disguise - could be as simple as a pair of sunglasses or a cap - and send them on a mission to find certain objects in the house. They love the suspense and the feeling of being a secret agent, plus it keeps them occupied for a good while!
Spy Mission" sounds like a fantastic idea! It's amazing how a simple and creative game can keep the kids entertained and give moms some time to relax or get some work done.

Spy Mission" sounds like a fantastic idea! It's amazing how a simple and creative game can keep the kids entertained and give moms some time to relax or get some work done.
The most trying parenting situations often require the simplest solutions! I find that having a stash of fun, inexpensive toys, dress-up items, and crafts also helps buy me some time especially when I need to run an important errand or make an online deadline. It's my go-to stash for emergencies, and the novelty keeps my kiddo entertained.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
The most trying parenting situations often require the simplest solutions! I find that having a stash of fun, inexpensive toys, dress-up items, and crafts also helps buy me some time especially when I need to run an important errand or make an online deadline. It's my go-to stash for emergencies, and the novelty keeps my kiddo entertained.
The simplicity of your solution surprises and delights me! It's these simple solutions that sometimes slip our minds as parents, isn't it? We tend to overthink and overlook the basic things that could bring so much joy to our children. That's a clever trick to keep in mind, especially for last-minute situations.

It's also impressive how you have a go-to stash ready! Being organized is half the battle won, and I'm taking notes here! Do you remember any other situations where your magic trick came through for you?

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Sometimes it's the little things that keep kids happy and occupied, aren't they! Simple toys often do the trick. They key is to keep things interesting by introducing variety. Great that it gives you the time you need as well.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
The simplicity of your solution surprises and delights me! It's these simple solutions that sometimes slip our minds as parents, isn't it? We tend to overthink and overlook the basic things that could bring so much joy to our children. That's a clever trick to keep in mind, especially for last-minute situations.

It's also impressive how you have a go-to stash ready! Being organized is half the battle won, and I'm taking notes here! Do you remember any other situations where your magic trick came through for you?
As a parent, there were many instances where having that stash of treats and activities came in handy! Especially during periods of sibling squabbles or when I had to juggle work calls and kiddo duties.

It's amazing how something as simple as a new box of crayons could buy me some time, occupy their minds, and give them a sense of wonder - at least until the next crisis! It's like having a secret weapon in my parenting toolkit, which I'm always adding to and updating with new treats.

Having a stock of goodies has certainly saved me on more occasions than I can count! Rainy days, unexpected guests, and bored kids on weekdays; that basket has proven to be a real lifesaver! I remember once when my older one had a friend over who was feeling unwell and needed some cheered up, I pulled out a few toys and some art supplies, and they kept themselves busy for a good two hours while I prepared work lunches. The simple joy of it never fails to amuse me, and the boys enjoyed the surprise element too!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and cissy
As a parent, there were many instances where having that stash of treats and activities came in handy! Especially during periods of sibling squabbles or when I had to juggle work calls and kiddo duties.

It's amazing how something as simple as a new box of crayons could buy me some time, occupy their minds, and give them a sense of wonder - at least until the next crisis! It's like having a secret weapon in my parenting toolkit, which I'm always adding to and updating with new treats.
That's true; variety is essential in keeping the excitement level high! crayons would definitely excite most young children. It's awesome to hear how you've found an effective solution that works for your family.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Sometimes it's the little things that keep kids happy and occupied, aren't they! Simple toys often do the trick. They key is to keep things interesting by introducing variety. Great that it gives you the time you need as well.
Yes, it's incredible how keeping things simple can make a lot of difference! Parents might overlook these tiny tricks, so it's always good to share ideas like these for others to discover. Do you have other simple yet genius ways to share, or any fun variations to the spy game? I'm sure many parents would love more suggestions!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and mamamia
Having a stock of goodies has certainly saved me on more occasions than I can count! Rainy days, unexpected guests, and bored kids on weekdays; that basket has proven to be a real lifesaver! I remember once when my older one had a friend over who was feeling unwell and needed some cheered up, I pulled out a few toys and some art supplies, and they kept themselves busy for a good two hours while I prepared work lunches. The simple joy of it never fails to amuse me, and the boys enjoyed the surprise element too!
That basket of tricks is a brilliant idea which will keep the children entertained and engaged. You never know what you're going to get--it's like a magical mystery for them each time!

The variety element is a crucial one! Kids do tend to get bored easily, so mix-ups and surprises keep the fun going. My stash has everything from mini board games to colorful masks, which I rotate to make sure they feel new again. I also have a collection of fancy dress-up outfits that my kid loves. Every once in a while, I'll pull out a new craft kit or an exciting app on the iPad, which helps on harder days. It's all about keeping the excitement and mystery alive! ;-) Does anyone else have tricks up their sleeve for those extra challenging parenting situations?

That's true; variety is essential in keeping the excitement level high! crayons would definitely excite most young children. It's awesome to hear how you've found an effective solution that works for your family.
The little joys of parenthood. Having a toolbox of tricks helps make everything else tolerable, including sibling bickering and meltdowns! Crayons, colored pencils and a blank paper are such simple things, but they make kids happy and keep them occupied for some time. Good to know these work for others too, because as parents we tend to doubt ourselves at times.

As the saying goes, the essentials are often the simplest. Crayons never fail to keep kids entertained, and it's amazing how parents like you find ways to upgrade simple solutions to survive those challenging situations! Thank you for sharing your secret weapon - it's reassuring for us mums out there to learn from one another!

I'm curious: what other kinds of treats and activities are in your parenting toolkit? Or do you have a go-to strategy for keeping your sanity intact amidst the chaos?

Reactions: wisdom

Parenting can really be a challenge, especially with young kids, so any tricks that help keep the peace are welcome!

Reactions: techsavvy

Having an ever-changing assortment is a fantastic idea The same old tricks might not work after some time, so keeping things fresh would surely keep the little ones excited. Your toolkit analogy is spot on; parenthood definitely calls for some wise preparation and organization skills!

The variety element is a crucial one! Kids do tend to get bored easily, so mix-ups and surprises keep the fun going. My stash has everything from mini board games to colorful masks, which I rotate to make sure they feel new again. I also have a collection of fancy dress-up outfits that my kid loves. Every once in a while, I'll pull out a new craft kit or an exciting app on the iPad, which helps on harder days. It's all about keeping the excitement and mystery alive! ;-) Does anyone else have tricks up their sleeve for those extra challenging parenting situations?
You're right about keeping things fresh with variety, especially with kids' short attention spans! It's fun to see them enjoy the surprises we prepare and try out new things. I find that taking the time to prep and organize these little treats is so worth it in the end.

Reactions: bubblyfish
Yes, it's incredible how keeping things simple can make a lot of difference! Parents might overlook these tiny tricks, so it's always good to share ideas like these for others to discover. Do you have other simple yet genius ways to share, or any fun variations to the spy game? I'm sure many parents would love more suggestions!
There's a similar game my children enjoy, especially on rainy days. Setting up a "Scavenger Hunt" indoors helps the kids stay active and engaged. It works best with a theme - like a pirate-themed scavenger hunt or finding treasure (think Captain Jack Sparrow). Create clues that are easy for their level of understanding and difficultly appropriate for their age so everyone has fun and no one gets frustrated. Have them search for items around the house, with the final "treasure" being something fun like chocolate coins or a small, affordable present wrapped in exciting paper! Setup requires some advance planning but once it's ready, it keeps them entertained for a good hour or two.

As the saying goes, the essentials are often the simplest. Crayons never fail to keep kids entertained, and it's amazing how parents like you find ways to upgrade simple solutions to survive those challenging situations! Thank you for sharing your secret weapon - it's reassuring for us mums out there to learn from one another!

I'm curious: what other kinds of treats and activities are in your parenting toolkit? Or do you have a go-to strategy for keeping your sanity intact amidst the chaos?
My kit is always evolving with new things I discover, which is often inspired by other parents. Besides artsy things like sticker packs and color pencils, I also keep some simple magic tricks and small toys that light up or make interesting sounds. They're intriguing enough to capture curiosity and are easy for little hands to manage independently.

As for keeping my sanity, that's a tough one! I've learned through experience that taking a deep breath and stepping away for a moment helps me regain composure when faced with full-on kid mayhem. And if all else fails, an episode of their favorite TV show does the trick in buying me some time to recoup. You do what you gotta do, right? 😅

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu