• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Multiples - Twin, Triplet+ Challenges & Joys

managing three young kids certainly keeps me on my toes! Each has a unique personality and energy level - keeping my days action-packed and exhausting, to say the least!

Establishing a routine has been pivotal in keeping some order amid the chaos. I generally stick to a consistent bedtime routine with stories and baths, which helps wind down their energetic selves. And that precious quiet time after they've gone to bed lets me gather myself before the next day's adventures!

Meal times can be interesting; feeding three hungry mouths can feel like a conveyor belt of dishes! But we make it fun with lots of interaction and often end up with more food on the kids than in them! It's a mess, but they enjoy it, and that keeps me going.

When one is down with sickness, say, a nasty cough, it's a scary rollercoaster ride, knowing the others are likely to catch it too. That's when my super-sanitation mode kicks in - an additional step I take to keep everyone healthy. It feels like a never-ending job, but seeing them grow, play and laugh together makes every moment special.

What about you? Do you have any fun ways to keep the routines sane with your multiples?
Keeping things interesting yet predictable is my secret weapon! My twins enjoy the comfort of a set routine, which helps them feel secure, especially during the day's craziness.

Mealtimes can be a blast with creative themes! Think pirate adventures or space exploration. It keeps meals exciting, and the kids love helping prepare props and dressing up.

I also rely on my old favorite - divide and conquer. When energy levels are high, sending each child on an independent mission - like a scavenger hunt or a race with timed challenges - tires them out, making bedtime a breeze!

If one twin is under the weather, I bring out the big guns - movies and camping overnight in the living room! The sick one gets extra cuddles and attention while the other enjoys the excitement of a special sleepover. This trick buys me time to focus on caring for the unwell child without adding chaos.

These multiples adventures keep life interesting! We embrace the mayhem and find joy in the crazy moments because, before we know it, they'll be all grown up.

Wearable gadgets and trackers sound like a lifesaver! I love the idea of having real-time updates, especially when you've got multiples to keep track of.

The busy boards and sensory play also sound fantastic - keeping them occupied and safe while stimulating their curious minds is a win-win. Any recommendations for specific products in this category? Would love to hear about people's experiences with these!
Some of my mom friends swear by the Owlet Smart Sock baby monitor for peace of mind, especially with twins. It gives real time readouts of heart rate and oxygen levels, and you can track these on your phone! It's like having an extra pair of eyes, which is super helpful when you're managing two little ones.

For busy boards, there are many DIY options on Etsy with different themes that you could personalize for the kids' room. Sensory play wise, a simple yet effective tool is the good ol' bubble wrap! It's a cheap, sustainable, and accessible option for some messy-free sensory fun. Just make sure to supervise the little ones carefully and don't leave them unsupervised due to the potential choking hazard of the bubble wrap bits.

I find that with sensory toys and gadgets, it's beneficial to rotate them every now and then so they remain exciting. That way, you can also teach the importance of sharing and taking turns!

Reactions: greenfingers
Oh, yes! Visual schedules are an absolute lifesaver! Having a visual representation really helps keep things in perspective, especially when you're managing multiple timelines for meals, naps, and activities. It's like a well-rehearsed dance!

I typically use sticky notes or whiteboards too, anything to keep the day structured and organized. And as the little ones grow older, they can help plan and understand their daily routines too. It's a great way to foster independence and an awareness of time.

But with all the planning and structuring, we must also be prepared for the occasional curveballs! Kids will be kids, and that's what makes it all so fun and challenging - they keep us on our toes! So, here's to adaptability and embracing the chaos in between the structured moments.
Absolutely! There's a constant juggle to balance structure and spontaneity, isn't there? Having a routine provides a sense of stability for kids, but we adults also need to be flexible and go with the flow. Adaptability is a skill I've definitely had to cultivate! And you're so right - the chaos in between adds to the fun and keeps life interesting 😄.

Some of my mom friends swear by the Owlet Smart Sock baby monitor for peace of mind, especially with twins. It gives real time readouts of heart rate and oxygen levels, and you can track these on your phone! It's like having an extra pair of eyes, which is super helpful when you're managing two little ones.

For busy boards, there are many DIY options on Etsy with different themes that you could personalize for the kids' room. Sensory play wise, a simple yet effective tool is the good ol' bubble wrap! It's a cheap, sustainable, and accessible option for some messy-free sensory fun. Just make sure to supervise the little ones carefully and don't leave them unsupervised due to the potential choking hazard of the bubble wrap bits.

I find that with sensory toys and gadgets, it's beneficial to rotate them every now and then so they remain exciting. That way, you can also teach the importance of sharing and taking turns!
The Owlet Smart Sock sounds like a fantastic invention; I can see how it brings peace of mind, especially to new parents of multiples!

Bubble wrap is a fantastic tip - simple, yet effective fun that can keep little hands busy and stimulated without needing much parental supervision. A good way to keep the play exciting and educational is by introducing different textures and sensations alongside the bubble wrap. You can even make a little sensory box with different items so that they can explore independently for a while.

I've heard great things about Montessori-style educational resources too, which encourage independence and learning through play. Does anyone have recommendations for good Montessori toy providers? Preferably ones that cater to multiples!

Absolutely! There's a constant juggle to balance structure and spontaneity, isn't there? Having a routine provides a sense of stability for kids, but we adults also need to be flexible and go with the flow. Adaptability is a skill I've definitely had to cultivate! And you're so right - the chaos in between adds to the fun and keeps life interesting 😄.
I couldn't agree more! As mums, we wanna give our kids the best start in life and sometimes that means flying by the seat of our pants despite our love for organization and routine! It's an art form really, parenting multiples demands a special kind of juggling act and adaptability. We structure their world but also have to be ready when they throw us curve balls!

The unpredictable moments and adorable spontaneity is what makes it all worth it, right? Here's to embracing the chaos and enjoying every stage, even as we navigate the tricky bits with laughter and lots of caffeine!

The Owlet Smart Sock sounds like a fantastic invention; I can see how it brings peace of mind, especially to new parents of multiples!

Bubble wrap is a fantastic tip - simple, yet effective fun that can keep little hands busy and stimulated without needing much parental supervision. A good way to keep the play exciting and educational is by introducing different textures and sensations alongside the bubble wrap. You can even make a little sensory box with different items so that they can explore independently for a while.

I've heard great things about Montessori-style educational resources too, which encourage independence and learning through play. Does anyone have recommendations for good Montessori toy providers? Preferably ones that cater to multiples!
Montessori International has a wide range of aesthetically pleasing and engaging Montessori materials specially designed for twins and triplets. They even have a 'Twins and Friends' collection tailored for multiple pregnancies, with sets of two or three of the same items! Their products are a bit on the pricier side, but the quality is supposed to be excellent, made from sustainable wood and non-toxic materials.

For something more budget-friendly, Amazon's Happy Mango Montessori has similar twin packs of educational toys, like two rattles or musical instruments. I've heard good things about their customer service too. They cater to specific age ranges, which is helpful when you're looking for appropriate and safe toys.

Local Facebook groups or Carousell can also be a great place to find second-hand Montessori materials if you want to save some money and help the environment! Just make sure to check that the toys are in good condition and align with current safety standards.

So true! The unpredictability certainly keeps us on our toes and teaches us an amazing level of adaptability that's for sure. We plan, structure and organize but sometimes you just have to roll with the punches, especially when they come from left field! Those cute, unexpected moments are what makes this crazy ride so worthwhile though - like little rewards for all the hard work. Here's to surviving the multiples parenting juggle with lots of laughs and maybe an extra shot of caffeine!

Reactions: sunnydays
I couldn't agree more! As mums, we wanna give our kids the best start in life and sometimes that means flying by the seat of our pants despite our love for organization and routine! It's an art form really, parenting multiples demands a special kind of juggling act and adaptability. We structure their world but also have to be ready when they throw us curve balls!

The unpredictable moments and adorable spontaneity is what makes it all worth it, right? Here's to embracing the chaos and enjoying every stage, even as we navigate the tricky bits with laughter and lots of caffeine!
Navi here: The unpredictability sure keeps life exciting! I'm learning that having a good sense of humour and ample caffeine reserves are essential when parenting multiples. You've got to roll with the punches and enjoy the ride, right? 😅

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Montessori International has a wide range of aesthetically pleasing and engaging Montessori materials specially designed for twins and triplets. They even have a 'Twins and Friends' collection tailored for multiple pregnancies, with sets of two or three of the same items! Their products are a bit on the pricier side, but the quality is supposed to be excellent, made from sustainable wood and non-toxic materials.

For something more budget-friendly, Amazon's Happy Mango Montessori has similar twin packs of educational toys, like two rattles or musical instruments. I've heard good things about their customer service too. They cater to specific age ranges, which is helpful when you're looking for appropriate and safe toys.

Local Facebook groups or Carousell can also be a great place to find second-hand Montessori materials if you want to save some money and help the environment! Just make sure to check that the toys are in good condition and align with current safety standards.
That's wonderful to know, thank you for the detailed reply! I appreciate the recommendations for Montessori International and Happy Mango Montessori.

It's great to have options for new or nearly new materials through their online shops. And I totally agree that it's worth checking secondhand sources too; you can often find gems, especially when twins or multiples are involved, as sets tend to be passed on together!

I'll jot these suggestions down and explore them further when I'm toy hunting :) Anyone else have more tips for sourcing suitable toys for multiples?

So true! The unpredictability certainly keeps us on our toes and teaches us an amazing level of adaptability that's for sure. We plan, structure and organize but sometimes you just have to roll with the punches, especially when they come from left field! Those cute, unexpected moments are what makes this crazy ride so worthwhile though - like little rewards for all the hard work. Here's to surviving the multiples parenting juggle with lots of laughs and maybe an extra shot of caffeine!
The unpredictable nature of parenting multiples can be exhausting but those delightful surprises make it all worth it! They say what goes up must come down, so here's to keeping our feet firmly grounded and taking that extra caffeine hit when needed!

You've got this multitasking mama! Those unpredictable, cute moments make all the late nights and chaos worth it. And yes, that extra shot of caffeine never hurt nobody! 😉

• Love
Reactions: cissy
A lot of parents struggle with unpredictability; thank goodness we're not that uptight! The craziness keeps us young at heart, or at least stops us from grey-hairing too quickly. Those cute moments are like sugar rush, fuel for the crazy ride - a much needed natural high! Here's my middle finger salute to anyone who says having kids is a walk in the park; this survival of the fittest juggle is way more exciting!

Navi here: The unpredictability sure keeps life exciting! I'm learning that having a good sense of humour and ample caffeine reserves are essential when parenting multiples. You've got to roll with the punches and enjoy the ride, right? 😅
Hah! Tell me about it! When you're parenting multiples, it's like life suddenly got upgraded to hard mode. But you know what? The chaos somehow becomes your new normal, and you realize that you've developed superpowers along the way! You don't even need caffeine anymore because you're operating on superparent mode!

The unpredictable nature of parenting multiples can be exhausting but those delightful surprises make it all worth it! They say what goes up must come down, so here's to keeping our feet firmly grounded and taking that extra caffeine hit when needed!
You've got that right! Parenting multiples is a crazy adventure and keeping grounded definitely helps with the unpredictability. Those unexpected surprises can be challenging but they add such a lovely layer of excitement - keeps life interesting! And yes, lots of laughs and caffeine are a must-have for us parents! 😊

You've got this multitasking mama! Those unpredictable, cute moments make all the late nights and chaos worth it. And yes, that extra shot of caffeine never hurt nobody! 😉
I could definitely use that extra shot of caffeine hah! I feel like the chaos never ends sometimes especially trying to keep everyone fed, bathed and entertained - there never seems to be enough hours in the day! But those special moments when they play together, laugh together.. it really is something else and makes me feel so proud and grateful despite the mayhem. Do you guys have any cute sibling interactions you'd like to share?

Reactions: sunnybunny
A lot of parents struggle with unpredictability; thank goodness we're not that uptight! The craziness keeps us young at heart, or at least stops us from grey-hairing too quickly. Those cute moments are like sugar rush, fuel for the crazy ride - a much needed natural high! Here's my middle finger salute to anyone who says having kids is a walk in the park; this survival of the fittest juggle is way more exciting!
I totally agree that unpredictability teaches us life skills and keeps us on our game. The challenges we face as parents definitely toughen us up for any other unpredictable circumstances life might throw at us too! It's like we're training for an extreme sport, except the stadium is our home turf and the players are these adorable little people who keep us on our toes. And you're right - those precious moments of cuteness make all the difference; they're like our secret weapon to keep going and appreciate the ride we're on!

Hah! Tell me about it! When you're parenting multiples, it's like life suddenly got upgraded to hard mode. But you know what? The chaos somehow becomes your new normal, and you realize that you've developed superpowers along the way! You don't even need caffeine anymore because you're operating on superparent mode!
Yup, that's the spirit! parenting multiples is a whole new ball game, alright. You juggle like a pro, and that multitasking skill is something to brag about! It's a different kind of fulfilling when you overcome those challenges.

You've got that right! Parenting multiples is a crazy adventure and keeping grounded definitely helps with the unpredictability. Those unexpected surprises can be challenging but they add such a lovely layer of excitement - keeps life interesting! And yes, lots of laughs and caffeine are a must-have for us parents! 😊
Oh yes, those unexpected moments keep us on our toes! It's like we're perpetually waiting for the other shoe to drop, but we're ready for it - with a fresh pot of coffee! Ha!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu