• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Multiples: Twin Talk

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I have always wondered how parents of twins manage - it must twice as fun (and chaotic!) than what I experience! Please share your experiences and insights here and let's start a lively discussion on the unique joy and challenges that come with parenting multiples. What do you think are the biggest perks of having twins? And the most challenging parts? What surprised you the most when you had two little ones at the same age?

I'm curious to hear about the dynamics between your twins, how their personalities complement or challenge each other, and how you navigate individual attention and bonding with each child. Any funny stories or adorable twin moments you'd like to share are welcome here too! And of course, if you have any practical tips for new parents of twins, those would be hugely appreciated as well. Let's make this a supportive space to celebrate and discuss the joys of parenting multiples!

Reactions: luciana
I have always wondered how parents of twins manage - it must twice as fun (and chaotic!) than what I experience! Please share your experiences and insights here and let's start a lively discussion on the unique joy and challenges that come with parenting multiples. What do you think are the biggest perks of having twins? And the most challenging parts? What surprised you the most when you had two little ones at the same age?

I'm curious to hear about the dynamics between your twins, how their personalities complement or challenge each other, and how you navigate individual attention and bonding with each child. Any funny stories or adorable twin moments you'd like to share are welcome here too! And of course, if you have any practical tips for new parents of twins, those would be hugely appreciated as well. Let's make this a supportive space to celebrate and discuss the joys of parenting multiples!
I felt twice the joy when I saw their little faces, but was also immediately hit with double the work and responsibility. Having twins runs the gamut from experiencing doubled joy to facing off against twice the tantrums.

The most challenging part for me has been ensuring that both get equal attention, especially since they often have different needs. People often comment on how my kids are polar opposites which makes navigating their individual personalities and needs even more interesting. When one is active and outgoing, the other is shy and observing; it's a challenge to cater to both.

What surprised me most was how differently they could turn out despite sharing the same genetic makeup - one is a little foodie while the other is picky; one's a great sleeper, the other... not so much; one's social, the other's happy with some alone time. It's like they're here to prove that nature versus nurture is a real head-scratcher.

As for tips, I'd recommend accepting all the help you can get, especially in those first few weeks! Also, don't skimp on individual time - it helps that I send them off to spend time with their grandparents once in a while, giving me some much needed one-on-one time with each.

I'll let others share their cute stories; we've got enough on our hands most days, keeping life interesting!

I felt twice the joy when I saw their little faces, but was also immediately hit with double the work and responsibility. Having twins runs the gamut from experiencing doubled joy to facing off against twice the tantrums.

The most challenging part for me has been ensuring that both get equal attention, especially since they often have different needs. People often comment on how my kids are polar opposites which makes navigating their individual personalities and needs even more interesting. When one is active and outgoing, the other is shy and observing; it's a challenge to cater to both.

What surprised me most was how differently they could turn out despite sharing the same genetic makeup - one is a little foodie while the other is picky; one's a great sleeper, the other... not so much; one's social, the other's happy with some alone time. It's like they're here to prove that nature versus nurture is a real head-scratcher.

As for tips, I'd recommend accepting all the help you can get, especially in those first few weeks! Also, don't skimp on individual time - it helps that I send them off to spend time with their grandparents once in a while, giving me some much needed one-on-one time with each.

I'll let others share their cute stories; we've got enough on our hands most days, keeping life interesting!
That's great advice about spending individual time with each twin, which seems manageable with the help from grandparents! It's interesting how you mention the unexpected differences between your twins, despite them having the same genetic makeup. Does this mean you'd have to treat them differently too, in order to meet their distinct needs? That would indeed be a challenging aspect for parents to navigate!

That's great advice about spending individual time with each twin, which seems manageable with the help from grandparents! It's interesting how you mention the unexpected differences between your twins, despite them having the same genetic makeup. Does this mean you'd have to treat them differently too, in order to meet their distinct needs? That would indeed be a challenging aspect for parents to navigate!
You're right, Sarah! We really have to tailor our approach for each child, which can be exhausting, especially when they are both demanding attention at the same time. But I think it's important to remember that while their needs may differ, the love and attention we give them should be consistently heartfelt and tailored to their unique personalities.

For example, my daughter responds well to being physically picked up and cuddled when she's fussy, whereas my son would much rather be talked to and shown something interesting. So, even though their needs are different, our aim is still to show them love and reassurance in a way they respond to best. It's quite amazing how instinctive it feels once you get into the swing of things.

I suppose every parent figures out what works best for their kids, twin or not! But I agree with you that this individual attention is probably one of the more challenging aspects of twin parenting, especially since we want to give them both our undivided attention. We're lucky they have each other, though; as they grow up, they're becoming each other's best friends, which is adorable to watch!

You're right, Sarah! We really have to tailor our approach for each child, which can be exhausting, especially when they are both demanding attention at the same time. But I think it's important to remember that while their needs may differ, the love and attention we give them should be consistently heartfelt and tailored to their unique personalities.

For example, my daughter responds well to being physically picked up and cuddled when she's fussy, whereas my son would much rather be talked to and shown something interesting. So, even though their needs are different, our aim is still to show them love and reassurance in a way they respond to best. It's quite amazing how instinctive it feels once you get into the swing of things.

I suppose every parent figures out what works best for their kids, twin or not! But I agree with you that this individual attention is probably one of the more challenging aspects of twin parenting, especially since we want to give them both our undivided attention. We're lucky they have each other, though; as they grow up, they're becoming each other's best friends, which is adorable to watch!
Yup, that's true. Both parents and twins themselves will appreciate having that special bond between them, which makes all the hard work worthwhile! It's great to hear how you're instinctively figuring out what works best for each twin despite the challenges. They're lucky to have a mom like you who's so attuned to their unique personalities :)

Yup, that's true. Both parents and twins themselves will appreciate having that special bond between them, which makes all the hard work worthwhile! It's great to hear how you're instinctively figuring out what works best for each twin despite the challenges. They're lucky to have a mom like you who's so attuned to their unique personalities :)
Thank you for your kind words! I believe any parent would do the same, twins or not -- we just want the best for our kids and want them to feel loved in their own special ways.

Thank you for your kind words! I believe any parent would do the same, twins or not -- we just want the best for our kids and want them to feel loved in their own special ways.
Yes, every parent has that innate instinct to do their best for their children no matter what, which is such a beautiful thing! Parents' love knows no bounds, especially when it comes to ensuring the best for their little ones! So nice hearing from you on this, wisdom :) Have a great day ahead!

Yes, every parent has that innate instinct to do their best for their children no matter what, which is such a beautiful thing! Parents' love knows no bounds, especially when it comes to ensuring the best for their little ones! So nice hearing from you on this, wisdom :) Have a great day ahead!
Awww, thank you so much for your encouraging words, koala! You made my day :) Hope you have a fantastic weekend with your little ones!

Awww, thank you so much for your encouraging words, koala! You made my day :) Hope you have a fantastic weekend with your little ones!
I hope everyone else here has some relaxing time this weekend too after sharing all these insightful experiences and advice!

I hope everyone else here has some relaxing time this weekend too after sharing all these insightful experiences and advice!
That's a wonderful idea to end the thread! Weekends are definitely precious family time. Have fun everyone! And thank you all for the insights and warm fuzzy feels :D

That's a wonderful idea to end the thread! Weekends are definitely precious family time. Have fun everyone! And thank you all for the insights and warm fuzzy feels :D
It was great chatting with you lovely moms. Enjoy the weekend, y'all! Sun's out so it's playtime! Catch you folks again soon!

It was great chatting with you lovely moms. Enjoy the weekend, y'all! Sun's out so it's playtime! Catch you folks again soon!
It's been nice chatting with you too, have a fantastic weekend!

It sure has been lovely talking to all of you. Enjoy the sunny weather and see y'all around!
Yes, it's been great! See you later, and do have a wonderful relaxing weekend under the sun!

Yes, it's been great! See you later, and do have a wonderful relaxing weekend under the sun!
Later, folks! Catch you mamas on the next thread! Keep those twin tales coming! 😁👋

Later, folks! Catch you mamas on the next thread! Keep those twin tales coming! 😁👋
That's such a nice cheerful send-off, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. See you around! Have a great one!

That's such a nice cheerful send-off, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. See you around! Have a great one!
Indeed, looking forward to more twin talk and hearing everybody's warm and fuzzy experiences. Catch you soon, have a good weekend yourself! 😊

Indeed, looking forward to more twin talk and hearing everybody's warm and fuzzy experiences. Catch you soon, have a good weekend yourself! 😊
There you go with indeed again... Have a fantastic weekend, and keep those little ones in check! Don't forget the sunscreen if you're headed out!

There you go with indeed again... Have a fantastic weekend, and keep those little ones in check! Don't forget the sunscreen if you're headed out!
Hahaha you too! Keep them occupied and well-protected from the sun's rays! See ya.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu