• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Insights

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I think it'd be great to have a thread where we could discuss some of our parenting insights and pick each others' brains for tips and tricks on navigating this wild ride!

As new parents, I feel like every day brings a new challenge or lesson learned. From sleep training to introducing solids, managing tantrums to fostering independence - there's so much going on! I'd love to hear your experiences and any insights you've gained along the way.

For example, did any of you have an AHA moment with your little ones that changed your parenting approach or made life easier? Any creative discipline strategies or fun ways to keep the kids entertained that you've discovered? Let's share our wisdom and help each other out!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I think it'd be great to have a thread where we could discuss some of our parenting insights and pick each others' brains for tips and tricks on navigating this wild ride!

As new parents, I feel like every day brings a new challenge or lesson learned. From sleep training to introducing solids, managing tantrums to fostering independence - there's so much going on! I'd love to hear your experiences and any insights you've gained along the way.

For example, did any of you have an AHA moment with your little ones that changed your parenting approach or made life easier? Any creative discipline strategies or fun ways to keep the kids entertained that you've discovered? Let's share our wisdom and help each other out!
Parenting is a learning curve For me, the light bulb moment was when I realized that being too consistent with rules can be a bad thing. Kids need some flexibility and adaptability which helps them learn to make their decisions and choose between good and bad. Rules are important, but so is the ability to adapt and use discretion. This new approach made life easier and encouraged an open environment where I could explain the 'why's" behind my decisions to my kids.

Another insight is to embrace messiness as part of kid's play. As parents, we often want a tidy and organized space, but sometimes, letting them engage in messy play helps with their sensory and creative development. Plus, it's fun! And the pride on their little faces when they've created something messy is worth more than a spotless house any day.

What about you guys? Any revelations or tips to share that made parenting slightly less mysterious?

• Love
Reactions: bananarama

I'm all ears for some tips on managing tantrums! It's like a daily occurrence with my little one, especially now that he's in his terrsy-two stage. I've realised that giving him a heads up before we leave the house or start a new activity really helps. Also, distraction is a powerful tool! Sometimes just pointing out a bird or a big truck passing by is enough to shift his focus and calm him down. It's like a little magic trick!

I have a few 'aha' moments that made me realize that I should not stress myself out over small failures or issues. Once, I ran out of formula milk for my daughter because I didn't expect her to finish the whole can so quickly! Luckily, she took to cow's milk like a charm right away without any issues. From then on, I always kept a carton of cow's milk in the fridge for emergencies and also saved some money from not buying formula.

Another one would be when I let my son cry it out while sleep training. It was tough because he would wail and sob uncontrollably, but after 3 nights of consistent routine changes, he slept through the night. He's a happy camper and so are me and my hubby! It taught me that sometimes, some tears aren't necessarily a bad thing and won't scar our kids for life, even though it feels awful to go through. I'm all for the 'cry-it-out' method now, but only when they're old enough and safe to be left alone in their cots!

That's a great idea for a thread!

For me, the biggest insight came when I realized that I had to involve my kids more in their own decision-making, especially regarding daily choices. It reduced whining and gave them a sense of ownership - simple things like letting them choose their outfits for the day or decide on the restaurant for family meals made them feel important and empowered. This approach also helped with their confidence and verbalization skills as they became more aware of their preferences.

It's amazing how such a simple shift can make a big difference!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and lioness

I've had some success lately with what I call the "Cool Down" tactic for toddlers. Instead of immediately reacting to my 2-year-old's tantrums by trying to distract or reason with them (which sometimes made it worse), I now calmly indicate that I understand their feelings and ask if they need a "cool down" moment.

I offer a simple suggestion: "It seems like you're really frustrated/upset/mad. Do you need some time to calm down? We can go sit over here for a minute."

Giving them the agency and acknowledging their emotions somehow helps draw down the intensity of the situation. It buys me a bit of time to assess the real issue and figure out how to address it without raising voices or resorting to distraction tactics. Could delete tantrums completely though - they're still very much a work in progress!

What other simple strategies have worked for calming your littles ones during their emotional outbursts?

• Love
Reactions: doctormama

This forum sounds like a great idea! As a parent, it's reassuring and helpful to know what others are doing and experiencing.

One insight that I had was when I realized that often, tantrums threw my daughter were due to her not being able to communicate her needs or wants effectively, especially as she was learning Singlish at a rapid pace and struggled with formulating proper sentences. So I started teaching her basic sign language gestures, like "eat," "drink," "tired," and "play." That way, she could communicate her needs more easily, and it reduced the frustration that led to tantrums.

It wasn't an overnight process but rather a gradual one, and eventually, her speech improved, and the signing became less frequent, but it definitely helped!

What about you guys? Any lightbulb moments or strategies that made parenting younger kids easier?

Don't be too quick to judge other parents or their children. That seemingly bratty kid could just be having a bad day, and his or her parent may be doing the best they can. I learned this after an incident at a playground once; now I keep quiet and mind my own business. It's a lesson hard earned!

Parenting is a learning curve For me, the light bulb moment was when I realized that being too consistent with rules can be a bad thing. Kids need some flexibility and adaptability which helps them learn to make their decisions and choose between good and bad. Rules are important, but so is the ability to adapt and use discretion. This new approach made life easier and encouraged an open environment where I could explain the 'why's" behind my decisions to my kids.

Another insight is to embrace messiness as part of kid's play. As parents, we often want a tidy and organized space, but sometimes, letting them engage in messy play helps with their sensory and creative development. Plus, it's fun! And the pride on their little faces when they've created something messy is worth more than a spotless house any day.

What about you guys? Any revelations or tips to share that made parenting slightly less mysterious?
You're right about consistency; it's a fine line to tread. I realized sometimes you have to let some things slide and not be too rigid, or else you might end up with a rebel without a cause. Kids need to explore and discover boundaries but within a safe environment.

For me, the biggest challenge was sleep training, especially when my son was an infant. I felt like I wasn't doing the 'right' thing no matter what I did. Then, a friend shared some wisdom with me: do what works best for your child and you. There's no one-size-fits-all approach to sleep training; some methods work better than others depending on the kid's temperament. Once I figured out the right technique, it was like a light bulb moment, and sleep started becoming less of an issue.

Also, I've learned to embrace the chaos! As a former perfectionist, this was hard at first, but once I let go of the need for orderliness, parenting became more fun. You're so spot on about messy play too. I used to cringe at the mess, but now I grab my camera and embrace the creative chaos! It's so true that their little faces light up with pride, and those memories are precious.

I also think making parenting decisions with confidence, even when you doubt yourself, is important. There's so much information out there, and other people's opinions can be confusing. Trusting your instinct is a big part of the journey, and with time, that internal parent intuition becomes stronger.

What about ways to distract and redirect? I'm sure many of us could share creative tactics! My go-to trick is playing 'spot the ___' – spotting birds, planes, or anything really depending on what's around. Works like a charm every time and gets the kiddo running in no time, especially if there's a competitive element involved!

I'm all ears for some tips on managing tantrums! It's like a daily occurrence with my little one, especially now that he's in his terrsy-two stage. I've realised that giving him a heads up before we leave the house or start a new activity really helps. Also, distraction is a powerful tool! Sometimes just pointing out a bird or a big truck passing by is enough to shift his focus and calm him down. It's like a little magic trick!
Distraction is a great way to manage tantrums I call it the 'distract and redirect'. It's amazing how their attention can be shifted so easily sometimes. Good on you for finding what works!

I've also found that if I acknowledge my son's emotions, it helps calm him down quicker. So when he's having a meltdown, I'll crouch down, look him in the eye and validate his feelings: "You're really upset because you want the red truck toy, huh? It's frustrating when we can't get what we want." It seems to help him process his emotions faster and open up to other suggestions or distractions.

Another thing I do is keep him engaged in activities that require sustained attention. For example, drawing or helping me with simple tasks like sorting laundry. Focusing on these tasks helps prevent boredom-induced tantrums, and he learns new skills too!

You're right about the rules and consistency! I used to be very strict about screen time, but then I realized that sometimes, a good educational show or game could come in handy when I needed some time for preparing meals or an actual quiet moment. It taught me to pick my battles and be flexible with the rules sometimes. Didn't want to totally dismiss screens because they can be a helpful distraction now and then! And I agree about the messes - the look of pride is worth it all, and it's fun to let them explore different textures and materials.

Reactions: greenfingers

Realizing that it's beneficial to sometimes let your kids experience the natural consequences of their actions (within safe boundaries) was a game-changer for me. Also, making sure they understand the difference between wants and needs from a young age helps to curb excessive materialism.

Distraction works wonders because kids have a short attention span. If all else fails, I resort to the good old 'time-out' technique. Works like a charm every time.

I have a few 'aha' moments that made me realize that I should not stress myself out over small failures or issues. Once, I ran out of formula milk for my daughter because I didn't expect her to finish the whole can so quickly! Luckily, she took to cow's milk like a charm right away without any issues. From then on, I always kept a carton of cow's milk in the fridge for emergencies and also saved some money from not buying formula.

Another one would be when I let my son cry it out while sleep training. It was tough because he would wail and sob uncontrollably, but after 3 nights of consistent routine changes, he slept through the night. He's a happy camper and so are me and my hubby! It taught me that sometimes, some tears aren't necessarily a bad thing and won't scar our kids for life, even though it feels awful to go through. I'm all for the 'cry-it-out' method now, but only when they're old enough and safe to be left alone in their cots!
Yes, those moments of clarity are precious! They help us navigate the challenging terrain of parenting with more confidence. Your realization about not stressing over minor issues is so true - we often forget that some problems are temporary and small in the grand scheme of things. It's good to keep reminding ourselves of these insights!

The sleep training method you mentioned is a tricky one; it's hard-earned experience and useful to know that it worked for your son. I'm curious: Did you use any particular strategy for the sleep training or was it just consistent routine changes? Some parents might benefit from knowing the specific approach that worked for others, so any additional details you're willing to share could be helpful!

I never let my son win when we play board games or video games together. He has to earn his wins fairly because praising him for mediocrity will not do him any favors in the real world outside of toddlerhood. This teachable moment also makes him think he is a very talented gamer which boosts his confidence in his other pursuits. It's a win-win situation!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum

For me, the biggest insight came when I realized that I had to involve my kids more in their own decision-making, especially regarding daily choices. It reduced whining and gave them a sense of ownership - simple things like letting them choose their outfits for the day or decide on the restaurant for family meals made them feel important and empowered. This approach also helped with their confidence and verbalization skills as they became more aware of their preferences.

Involving kids in their decision-making definitely teaches them to be assertive which is an important skill to have as they grow up. It's great to give them options and see the excitement on their faces when they feel like they've got some control over their lives, especially during the stage where they're finding their footing.

What other tricks do you guys have up your sleeves for fostering independence and confidence? I'm all ears, especially with a curious and active tot running around!

You're right; such a simple yet effective strategy! Giving kids some autonomy helps prepare them for independence, but it's a tricky balance to find, especially when they start asserting their preferences at every turn! Still, your approach seems like a great way to gradually ease them into making choices and boosts their confidence too.
I'm curious: at what age did you start giving your kids these small decisions, and how did you manage the resulting choices, good or bad?

Yes, it's the little things that count! Giving kids autonomy is definitely overlooked by many parents, who often make decisions without realizing the impact of involving their children. I'm glad you shared this; it's eye-opening and a good reminder for parents to empower their kids from an early age.

I've had some success lately with what I call the "Cool Down" tactic for toddlers. Instead of immediately reacting to my 2-year-old's tantrums by trying to distract or reason with them (which sometimes made it worse), I now calmly indicate that I understand their feelings and ask if they need a "cool down" moment.

I offer a simple suggestion: "It seems like you're really frustrated/upset/mad. Do you need some time to calm down? We can go sit over here for a minute."

Giving them the agency and acknowledging their emotions somehow helps draw down the intensity of the situation. It buys me a bit of time to assess the real issue and figure out how to address it without raising voices or resorting to distraction tactics. Could delete tantrums completely though - they're still very much a work in progress!

What other simple strategies have worked for calming your littles ones during their emotional outbursts?
I find that using a calming, soothing voice throughout the tantrum helps! I'd speak slowly and softly, almost as if I'm hypnotherapist haha. It contrasts the intensity of their emotions and somehow helps to gradually lower their volume too.

I also make sure that everyone is safe - my kid from hurting himself and others around him because when he's in full flight, he wouldn't care whom or what he knocks down! So I gently but firmly hold him if needed, speaking soothingly the while.

Sometimes, especially if we're outdoors, I'd give a 5-minute warning before we leave or do the next activity. Counting down also helps with transitions and prepares them mentally. If they're engaged in play, I'd also use the element of surprise to distract, like pretending to spot a rainbow or flying birds. It never fails to make them look up, at least briefly! 😉

My approach is similar - acknowledging their feelings and giving them some space seems counterintuitive but works surprisingly well! I'll use phrases like, "I see that you're really angry/sad. It's okay to feel mad sometimes." Then I'll offer a simple solution like a cool-down hug or a quick embrace to help them regulate their emotions. This approach validates their feelings and also teaches them the appropriate language to express their emotions.

For especially prolonged or aggressive tantrums, I found that deep pressure touch helped to calm my kid down. Things like a firm bear hug or holding their hand when they're upset seemed to tell them that everything's alright without my needing to say anything. It's based on a sensory processing theory, but it worked well for us!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu