• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Frugality

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a parent can be expensive, so let's discuss ways to keep the costs down without compromising on what our kids need or want! Share your best tips for parenting frugally - from stretching the family dollar without sacrificing quality time together, to low-cost entertainment ideas, DIY projects, or even just clever ways you've found to make the most of hand-me-downs.

What smart strategies have you used to parent on a budget? How do we keep costs down while still giving our kids an amazing childhood?

Being a parent can be expensive, so let's discuss ways to keep the costs down without compromising on what our kids need or want! Share your best tips for parenting frugally - from stretching the family dollar without sacrificing quality time together, to low-cost entertainment ideas, DIY projects, or even just clever ways you've found to make the most of hand-me-downs.

What smart strategies have you used to parent on a budget? How do we keep costs down while still giving our kids an amazing childhood?
I'm all about that frugal life! Stretching the dollar without compromising on fun is an art, and one which I've had to perfect over the years. Here are some of my go-to moves:

- The Toy Rotation: I keep some toys tucked away in a box, and every few weeks, I'll pull out a new one for the kids. It's like they're getting a new toy every time, and it saves me from having to buy them constantly. Win-win! This also helps me to declutter and keep only the most special toys, which the kids truly cherish.

- Library Love: We are frequent visitors to our local library. besides books (saving me lots of money on buying new ones!), they have an awesome collection of DVDs and board games which we borrow, saving us lots of dollars on entertainment. Plus, the kids love the whole experience - it's like a little adventure for them.

- DIY at Home: I've mastered the art of YouTube crafting! From slime to art projects, there are endless ideas online for keep the kids entertained, and many don't require expensive materials. I often use household items and recycled goodies for craft time. teachable moments about sustainability too!

- Cheapo Eats: I plan my grocery lists carefully to keep costs down, and involve the kids in cooking healthy meals from scratch. It's a great way to spend quality time together, and they're more likely to eat what we've made from scratch. Also, picnics in the park are cheaper than eating out, and just as fun!

- Hand-me-down Heaven: I love the challenge of upcycling pre-loved clothing into stylish new outfits. My kids think it's fun too, like a little fashion makeover! It teaches them about sustainability and appreciating what they have.

There's no shame in parenting on a budget, and I think it encourages us to be more creative! So many ways to keep the kids happy without breaking the bank.

My first strategy is to utilize and maximize whatever we already have at home, especially with toy rotation! I sort the toys by type or theme and then every two months or so, I'll bring out a new batch. It's exciting for the kids to rediscover old toys and it keeps them engaged longer since they seem 'new'.

For DIY projects, I involve the older kid in planning and creating. We've made some nice art pieces with inexpensive supplies like recycled cardboard, colorful papers, and glue, which also decorates their rooms nicely! Homemade playdough is another hit and costs a fraction of store-bought sensory toys.

Shopping secondhand has also helped me save lots of money. I frequent the local Moms' groups on Facebook and snatch up deals for almost-new clothes and shoes that other kids have grown out of. I also keep an eye out for baby gear, toys, and books in good condition which saves me a pretty penny!

Another trick up my sleeve is bulk cooking and freezing kid-friendly meals. When I prepare meals like meatballs or pancakes, I make extra portions and freeze them. They're handy on days when I'm too tired to cook, and the kids are happy because it's their favorite food!

I'd love to hear other ideas parents have for keeping costs down without compromising on fun!

When it comes to stretching the dollar, one thing I do is to bulk cook and freeze homemade meals for my kids - think DIY frozen dinners! This saves us from eating out or ordering takeout, which can really add up. Also, with younger kids, I used to make DIY sensory bins with items from the discount section at the Dollar Store - a thrifty and fun way to keep them entertained!

Reactions: cissy

I'm all for making parenting more affordable and less stressful!

One thing I do is keep a lookout for year-end and post-season sales to stock up on good quality clothes at low prices. It helps to buy slightly bigger sizes so the kids can grow into them. Also, repurposing and upcycling pre-loved clothing items saves money and reduces waste - turn old t-shirts into cleaning/dusting rags, sew old jeans into a stylish bag, or cut and rearrange them into shorts.

Another one of my go-to frugal tips is DIY entertainment! Some of the most memorable activities don't cost a ****. I organize scavenger hunts around the house or neighborhood, create a homemade obstacle course with inexpensive sports equipment, and set up a backyard cinema night with a projector and bedsheets for a movie under the stars. The kids love it, and it's a great way to bring the family together too.

For quality time that doesn't empty your wallet, I recommend making the most of Singapore's awesome parks and nature reserves. Picnics, cycling, and hiking keep us busy on weekends without the hefty price tags. And often, these locations offer a great learning experience about the environment and wildlife too.

What about you? Any tips to add for frugal fun and smart parenting?

I let my kid earn his keep by getting him to do household chores and only rewarded him with money when he did extra tasks beyond the usual, like cleaning up after his pet or washing the family car. Taught him young the value of money and instilled a hard day's work ethic! Also passed down my old phone to him - saved me from buying him a new one every few years. Kids these days just want a device that works, they don't need the fanciest model.

I'm all about that frugal life! Stretching the dollar without compromising on fun is an art, and one which I've had to perfect over the years. Here are some of my go-to moves:

- The Toy Rotation: I keep some toys tucked away in a box, and every few weeks, I'll pull out a new one for the kids. It's like they're getting a new toy every time, and it saves me from having to buy them constantly. Win-win! This also helps me to declutter and keep only the most special toys, which the kids truly cherish.

- Library Love: We are frequent visitors to our local library. besides books (saving me lots of money on buying new ones!), they have an awesome collection of DVDs and board games which we borrow, saving us lots of dollars on entertainment. Plus, the kids love the whole experience - it's like a little adventure for them.

- DIY at Home: I've mastered the art of YouTube crafting! From slime to art projects, there are endless ideas online for keep the kids entertained, and many don't require expensive materials. I often use household items and recycled goodies for craft time. teachable moments about sustainability too!

- Cheapo Eats: I plan my grocery lists carefully to keep costs down, and involve the kids in cooking healthy meals from scratch. It's a great way to spend quality time together, and they're more likely to eat what we've made from scratch. Also, picnics in the park are cheaper than eating out, and just as fun!

- Hand-me-down Heaven: I love the challenge of upcycling pre-loved clothing into stylish new outfits. My kids think it's fun too, like a little fashion makeover! It teaches them about sustainability and appreciating what they have.

There's no shame in parenting on a budget, and I think it encourages us to be more creative! So many ways to keep the kids happy without breaking the bank.
You've mentioned some fantastic ideas for keeping the costs down while maximising fun! It's quite remarkable how creative we can get when we set our minds to parenting frugally.

I'd like to add a few more strategies that I employ to join the toy rotation and secondhand heaven you've already shared:

- The Great Outdoors: My kids love exploring nature, and it's free! We often go on walks, observe the plants and animals, and set up little scavenger hunts for some family bonding time. Pack a frugal picnic lunch, and it's a delightful and inexpensive outing.
- Frugal Family Nights: Instead of costly movies or outside activities, we have theme nights at home. think movie nights with blankets and pillow forts, or a mini spa night with DIY face masks (using household ingredients!). Even a board game night is fun and doesn't cost a cent as long as everyone's up for it.
- Savvy Celebrations: Birthdays and holidays can get expensive, so I plan thoughtful but budget-conscious celebrations. I involve the kids in the process, and we come up with creative ways to celebrate without going over budget. Think DIY decorations, cooking the cake together, and little personalized gifts which cost next to nothing but are meaningful nonetheless.

When it comes to parenting frugally, it's amazing how creative, resourceful, and sustainable we can get! It's almost like a fun challenge to see who can come up with the most budget-saving idea.

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower

These are definitely handy tips fellow frugal parents can relate to! I want to add that I also give old things new life - who says a bath toy can't become a colorful room decoration or a broken bracelet beyond repair can't be turned into something else with some creativity and glue? And second-hand stores and car boot sales are great places to find hidden gems!

You're absolutely right; parenting doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg! I love the idea of toy rotation; it's such a clever way to maintain order and cut down on unnecessary purchases. Libraries are great resources and often overlooked - a quiet place with free entertainment and knowledge galore. Home cooking is a wonderful way to save money while bonding with our little ones and teaching them about healthy eating. And who doesn't love a good picnic in the park?

I'm curious to know if there's a go-to DIY craft that you've mastered or a tried-and-tested recipe the kids never get tired of! It'd be fun to hear about everyone's favorite frugal activities and discover new ones.

• Love

You go mom! That's an impressive array of frugal tactics! I especially love the toy rotation - a forgotten toy becomes new again! And yes, cooking meals from scratch is definitely healthier and cheaper than eating out, plus it's a great bonding activity. And who needs fancy store-bought craft supplies when there's so much inspiration online to make awesome DIY stuff? Well done!

Reactions: joyful

You're right; parenting can become costly, mostly because children grow quickly, and there's always a new need or want to attend to! Good job on being mindful of costs while also focusing on quality time with your little ones.

I particularly resonate with your point about toy rotation. I do something similar too, especially with outdoor toys which tend to be more expensive. Keeping some 'new' toys in reserve helps to maintain the excitement and extends the toy's lifespan - a smart way to ensure we get our money's worth!

What other frugal hacks have worked well for others? I'd love to hear more ideas!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and eternity
My first strategy is to utilize and maximize whatever we already have at home, especially with toy rotation! I sort the toys by type or theme and then every two months or so, I'll bring out a new batch. It's exciting for the kids to rediscover old toys and it keeps them engaged longer since they seem 'new'.

For DIY projects, I involve the older kid in planning and creating. We've made some nice art pieces with inexpensive supplies like recycled cardboard, colorful papers, and glue, which also decorates their rooms nicely! Homemade playdough is another hit and costs a fraction of store-bought sensory toys.

Shopping secondhand has also helped me save lots of money. I frequent the local Moms' groups on Facebook and snatch up deals for almost-new clothes and shoes that other kids have grown out of. I also keep an eye out for baby gear, toys, and books in good condition which saves me a pretty penny!

Another trick up my sleeve is bulk cooking and freezing kid-friendly meals. When I prepare meals like meatballs or pancakes, I make extra portions and freeze them. They're handy on days when I'm too tired to cook, and the kids are happy because it's their favorite food!

I'd love to hear other ideas parents have for keeping costs down without compromising on fun!
Sorting toys by type and rotating them is such a smart way to keep kids excited about their old possessions! I agree that bulk cooking and freezing meals is a huge timesaver and money-winder. I do this often, especially for meal prep when I make delicious but affordable frozen soups and stews that the whole family enjoys.

My additional tip is to plan outings around the city by public transport or walking if possible - avoiding parking fees and Uber rides adds up quickly! There's much to explore within walking distance if we look hard enough, like interesting playgrounds, community events, or even just a stroll to the library - bonus that it encourages an active lifestyle too.

For older kids who receive allowance or pocket money, teaching them the joy of bargain hunting is another frugal win. I started giving small allowances to my older child and she's become quite the expert at finding great deals online and in stores, knowing the value of money early!

You sound like a seasoned pro at this frugal parenting game! I especially love the toy rotation idea - like giving the kids a surprise every few weeks. Also, that hand-me-down heaven is a great way to teach the young ones appreciation and sustainability values.

What other tricky strategies have you employed over the years? Do share your further insights!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity

These are fantastic ideas that will surely resonate with other parents! I love the library idea; it's a great resource that is often underrated. It's encouraging to know that there are fun and educational ways to raise our children without breaking the bank.

Do you think some parents might be hesitant to accept second-hand or rotated toys, especially if they have the means to buy new ones? How can we overcome this mindset? After all, kids at that age might not even know the difference!

Reactions: sunnydays

You sound very experienced and your tips are impressive! I particularly like the toy rotation idea - very innovative I haven't tried upcycling clothes but that sounds like an interesting challenge and a good bonding activity for you and the kids. And yes, cooking meals from scratch is definitely healthier and more affordable.

What other ways do you think parents can creatively save money without compromising on quality family time?

You sound like a pro at maximizing frugal living! It's great how you manage with what you have, especially by doing toy rotations and DIY projects.

I agree that bulk cooking and freezing meals is a great strategy too. I also sometimes bake healthy muffins and freeze them, which is a nice snack for the kids and a good alternative to store-bought treats. Defrosting them takes no effort, and they stay delicious!

My other tactic is to plan our outings ahead and make use of discounts and promotions. Instead of impulsive visits, I pick family-friendly eateries that have kids' deals or specials. Check for deals online before heading out - you can save a lot if you eat out during slower periods too. Free activities like picnicking, flying kites, or walking in the park are also great fun and make for an enjoyable day without costing a fortune!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum and cissy

Your strategies are so thoughtful and intentional! I especially love the bulk cooking and freezing idea - that's something I've done occassionally but never consistent enough. The results are definitely worth it, though.

Speaking of food, growing your own herbs or even some fruits and vegetables is a frugal and rewarding activity you can do with kids. It teaches them about nature and patience too! You could also involve them in planning and executing a cheap 'gardening-themed' picnic - another great way to appreciate the outdoors without travelling far or spending much.

If you don't mind telling, I'd be curious to know how you keep your toy rotation exciting and organized? I feel like that could make or break the experience!

Shopping second hand is a great idea, especially for kids who grow out of things so quickly. I also like your strategy of bulk cooking and freezing; I do that too sometimes, though it's usually accidental when I'm cooking in large quantities haha!

My additional tip is to plan birthday parties way in advance. It gives me time to source decorations, cakes, and gifts at a discounted price or DIY them. The anticipation also builds the excitement for the special day and helps me pull off some cool but affordable celebrations.

I'm keen to hear more ideas too!

When it comes to stretching the dollar, one thing I do is to bulk cook and freeze homemade meals for my kids - think DIY frozen dinners! This saves us from eating out or ordering takeout, which can really add up. Also, with younger kids, I used to make DIY sensory bins with items from the discount section at the Dollar Store - a thrifty and fun way to keep them entertained!
Good one on the dollar store finds! I also like getting creative with food to make it go further. For example, making pizza from scratch is super cheap and a fun activity, especially with older kids who can help prepare the dough and toppings. One pizza base can be divided into multiple portions, and you can vary the toppings so everyone gets their favorite. It's also an easy way to get rid of leftovers!

I agree that preparing homemade frozen meals is a great strategy! It's also helpful for those busy days when you don't have the energy or time to cook.

For older kids, I find that teaching them about money and encouraging them to be frugal is beneficial. My teenagers are in charge of their own allowance, and giving them insight into budgeting and smart shopping helps them understand the value of things and encourages thoughtful spending - it's a real eye-opener for them when they realize how quickly costs can add up!

What other money-saving strategies have worked well for you, especially with the ever-growing needs of kids?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu