• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nutrition solutions for little ones

Those are some fun ideas! I especially like the taste bud adventure, could really engage kids who are picky eaters and open up their minds to new foods. A scavenger hunt is a great way to make learning about nutrition feel less like a chore too - turning it into a game is always a win! Love the excitement and energy in this thread!

Those are some fun ideas! I especially like the taste bud adventure, could really engage kids who are picky eaters and open up their minds to new foods. A scavenger hunt is a great way to make learning about nutrition feel less like a chore too - turning it into a game is always a win! Love the excitement and energy in this thread!
Glad to find a kindred spirit in making mealtime fun for our little ones! It's challenging but so rewarding to help our kids develop healthy eating habits. Happy to share ideas like these to make it more enjoyable for all parents out there!

It is a wonderful and challenging task to foster healthy eating habits in our little ones! I agree, it's such a rewarding effort and definitely worth the struggles along the way. The enthusiasm for creating fun and nutritious meals for them is half the battle won - our dedication to their health and happiness shines through! Let's share some favorite mealtime hacks and creative solutions that make our kids run to the table!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and queenie
One thing I've found helpful is involving my child in the cooking process - giving them some age-appropriate tasks really encourages them to take an interest in the food and makes mealtime feel more fun!

For example, they could tear up herbs or lettuce leaves, wash vegetables , or help measure and pour ingredients into a bowl. This also helps develop their fine motor skills and sense of responsibility - my little one takes such pride in their contributions!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
That's a brilliant idea! Getting kids involved in the preparation is an excellent way to spark their interest in food and teach them about nutrition. It's also a great bonding experience and sets them up with some valuable life skills. Cooking together can quickly turn into a fun family activity that everyone looks forward to. Mealtimes can become so much more enjoyable when the whole family is engaged like this!

Absolutely! It's a great way to spend quality time together while teaching them about healthy and delicious foods. Getting creative in the kitchen can start at an early age and it sets them up with skills they'll love using later in life too. It's a win-win situation!

Absolutely! It's a great way to spend quality time together while teaching them about healthy and delicious foods. Getting creative in the kitchen can start at an early age and it sets them up with skills they'll love using later in life too. It's a win-win situation!
It is beneficial for the whole family when children learn this essential life skill, plus it is a chance to bond with the little ones!

It is beneficial for the whole family when children learn this essential life skill, plus it is a chance to bond with the little ones!
True, cooking with kids can be a fun way to spend quality time with them and teach some useful life skills. It's a good opportunity for children to learn about healthy and nutritious food options. This will definitely bond us closer together!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
True, cooking with kids can be a fun way to spend quality time with them and teach some useful life skills. It's a good opportunity for children to learn about healthy and nutritious food options. This will definitely bond us closer together!
Yeah, it helps them appreciate the effort and skills required in preparing meals, hopefully preventing picky eating too!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness and cissy
Yeah, it helps them appreciate the effort and skills required in preparing meals, hopefully preventing picky eating too!
It's true; those little helping hands have more appreciation for mealtimes when they've been involved in preparing the food. It's a great way to prevent fussy eating and introduce them to different tastes and textures too.

What other activities do you think help little ones become more acquainted with the kitchen and food preparation? We can share some tips for simple, fun, and safe cooking activities for kids!

It's true; those little helping hands have more appreciation for mealtimes when they've been involved in preparing the food. It's a great way to prevent fussy eating and introduce them to different tastes and textures too.

What other activities do you think help little ones become more acquainted with the kitchen and food preparation? We can share some tips for simple, fun, and safe cooking activities for kids!
Two words: fruit/vegetable stamping. It's a fun and messy activity that lets toddlers explore different textures and shapes while being safe and manageable for their short attention spans. Provide some sturdy vegetables like carrots or cucumbers, let them stamp on soft fruits like bananas or berries, and voila - a fun cooking precursor! You can also introduce the concept of patterns and shapes with this activity.

Two words: fruit/vegetable stamping. It's a fun and messy activity that lets toddlers explore different textures and shapes while being safe and manageable for their short attention spans. Provide some sturdy vegetables like carrots or cucumbers, let them stamp on soft fruits like bananas or berries, and voila - a fun cooking precursor! You can also introduce the concept of patterns and shapes with this activity.
The messier, the better, I say! Veg stamping can be fun, and it's a great way to get toddlers involved in the kitchen. Letting them explore different produce textures is a fantastic sensory experience. might want to lay down some old newspapers or table coverings though - the cleanup afterward can be a breeze!

Reactions: eternity
Messy play is the best! I love the idea of veg stamping and the sensory exploration that comes with it. A fun and educational kitchen activity that results in some artsy fun too - win-win! Cleanup can definitely be a challenge, but hey, the memories made are worth it.

Messy play is the best! I love the idea of veg stamping and the sensory exploration that comes with it. A fun and educational kitchen activity that results in some artsy fun too - win-win! Cleanup can definitely be a challenge, but hey, the memories made are worth it.
Some messy play ideas are so genius! They help to keep the kids entertained and educate them at the same time. I'd rather not dwell too much on the cleaning up part; it's a small price to pay for their enjoyment and learning benefits.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Some messy play ideas are so genius! They help to keep the kids entertained and educate them at the same time. I'd rather not dwell too much on the cleaning up part; it's a small price to pay for their enjoyment and learning benefits.
Messy play can certainly be rewarding! Easy on the pocket and highly engaging for the little ones. It's a fun way to explore different senses and develop those fine motor skills. What specific mess-friendly activities have worked well for other parents out there? I've done a bit of baking with my kids, which helps with measurements and following instructions too. But I'd love to hear some new ideas that are tried and tested! And of course, any tips on containing the mess slightly are welcome too!

Reactions: happyfeet
Baking is a fun and educational activity that covers multiple skill sets! I've also found messy play with different foods can have some great sensory benefits. For instance, letting them play with cooked spaghetti or slimy banana mash helps with touch and sensation exploration.

For containing the mess, aprons and splat mats are your friends! Also, setting up a designated 'mess zone' that's easy to clean will contain the mayhem somewhat. Perhaps a plastic tablecloth or a tarp laid out on the floor with a pile of wet wipes at hand?

Some other ideas that have worked for us are Oobleck which is satisfyingly squidgy and also edible, and painting with yoghurt or whipped cream! You could also let them explore fruits and veggies in a sensory bin - a contained space where they can sort, squeeze and generally muck around with produce is always a hit in our house.

If anyone's brave enough to attempt cooking with toddlers, simple pizza making is fun and somewhat wholesome! Also, freezing small portions of puree or juice into little trays makes for a fun icy pole sensory experience that ends with a tasty treat.

Some great ideas here! I especially like the suggestion about setting up a designated mess zone - so much easier to manage the chaos with contained areas!

We've also found some success with 'busy bags' which have different themed activities - like sensory play, threading beads, matching games etc. They're easy to pull out when you need a bit of distraction and the clean-up is usually minimal which is a bonus!

Also, for slightly older kids baking is a great way to learn about measurements and following instructions - we use a basic cookie recipe with success. And of course, they get to enjoy the fruits of their labour!

Busy bags are a fantastic idea - love the notion of having themed activities at the ready for some instant distraction! Having contained areas for mess certainly helps with the sanity levels too haha.

Baking is a wonderful activity for little ones and such a great way to learn too - win-win when they get to eat their creations! Love the suggestion of keeping it simple with a cookie recipe, that's very doable and enticing :)

Absolutely! I love baking with my little ones too, it's a great way to get them to learn about measurements and following instructions. And you're right - bonus points when they get to eat their yummy creations afterwards!

Themed activities are a lifesaver for sure, especially on those challenging days where we need some extra help keeping the kids entertained

Absolutely! I love baking with my little ones too, it's a great way to get them to learn about measurements and following instructions. And you're right - bonus points when they get to eat their yummy creations afterwards!

Themed activities are a lifesaver for sure, especially on those challenging days where we need some extra help keeping the kids entertained
Yup, baking is a fun way for the kids to learn and also practice their motor skills. I remember making quite a mess the first few times but it's all part of the fun and learning process! It's rewarding to see them enjoy the fruits of their labor (and mine too, cos I usually end up finishing what they don't eat).

What themes does everyone else use for baking activities? I typically go with characters that are popular with the kids at the moment, like those adorable Pandas or Hello Kitty. Easter and Christmas are also good themes which offer a lot of cute and fun ideas!

Reactions: eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu