• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nights

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Creating gentle & comforting bedtime routines to help our little ones settle & sleep soundly. Share your current struggles, successes, & favourites ways to foster peaceful nights. What are some of your tried and tested methods for helping your LOs sleep through the night?

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wellness
Creating gentle & comforting bedtime routines to help our little ones settle & sleep soundly. Share your current struggles, successes, & favourites ways to foster peaceful nights. What are some of your tried and tested methods for helping your LOs sleep through the night?
I've found that a bath before bed helps my son to relax and wind down. I make sure the water isn't too hot and add some lavender bubble bath to soothe his senses. Following this with a gentle massage using baby lotion goes a long way in relaxing him further, especially after a tiring day at the playground. Also, keeping the room well-shaded and cool, with a white noise machine on low, provides the perfect ambiance for soothing his nerves and lulling him to sleep.

What works best for your little ones?

A good bedtime story, some milk or herbal tea, a warm bath and a tight bedtime embrace work well for calming my hyperactive teen. But that's the extent of my effort; the rest is up to fate because destiny has granted him the FOMO gene, so he stays awake listening for any sounds of life outside his window.

Getting my four-year-old son to stay in his own bed has been a challenge. He keeps crawing into our bed in the middle of the night, especially when he senses someone is awake or has a bad dream. After much trial and error, we've found that creating a highly rewarding and enticing "big boy bed" routine worked.

We made a big deal out of him graduating to a big kid bed and let him help decorate his new Spiderman-themed room with wall stickers and a new bedtime buddy - a soft toy he chose himself. Each night, we tuck him in with a different exciting routine that rotates every two nights: one night is a special story time with Mom; another is a fun, calming yoga session incorporating animal poses and lots of giggles; and the third is a Spy Mission with Daddy, complete with flashlight play and silly espionage roles. He feels like he's achieving something big each night and is motivated to stay in his bed, excited for the next installment. This has encouraged him to settle in his room alone, giving us uninterrupted sleep too.

I'll be interested to hear other moms' methods that encourage independent sleeping! Some consistent routines definitely help, so I'd love to glean more ideas!

My kid has grown used to me reading storybooks to him when he was younger, which unfortunately became a crutch that resulted in many nights of disrupted sleep as he grew older. He's now an avid reader himself, so I got him e-reader recently and that worked wonderfully. No more whining for one more book each night and his sleep has improved.

Having a consistent bedtime routine has been a lifesaver for us. We start with a warm bath, followed by a massage with lavender lotion, which helps relax my daughter. Then it's off to her room for a story - right now, she's loving The Very Hungry Caterpillar. We listen to some calm music, and I let her pick out three stuffed toys to sleep with tonight. It's adorable how she's developed her own little routine of kissing each toy goodnight before snuggling down.

Most nights she sleeps soundly, but there are always those nights where she has trouble settling. On those evenings, I've found that rocking her in the nursery chair helps, or sometimes a quick walk around the block gets her eyes heavy again. And for those really fussy nights, I have a secret weapon: a homemade herbal sleep spray with lavender and chamomile that I spritz on her pillow; it seems to help her calm down and fall asleep.

What are some of your go-to methods for those peaceful nights?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: mamamia and musical
I've found that a bath before bed helps my son to relax and wind down. I make sure the water isn't too hot and add some lavender bubble bath to soothe his senses. Following this with a gentle massage using baby lotion goes a long way in relaxing him further, especially after a tiring day at the playground. Also, keeping the room well-shaded and cool, with a white noise machine on low, provides the perfect ambiance for soothing his nerves and lulling him to sleep.

A consistent bedtime routine is what I find works best for creating peaceful nights. After a calming bath, I'd snuggle up next to her and read from her favorite picture books. We also take our time picking out pajamas and brushing teeth together. She loves choosing which stories we read and helping me get everything ready for bed. On especially fussy nights, I dim the lights and play some gentle classical music which seems to help soothe her into a relaxed state.

We don't have the same problems with our teenagers as we did when they were younger. But my son swears by having some chill-out time with relaxing music playing in the background, using a blue light filter on his devices and having a comfortable sleep kit consisting of his favorite pillow, sheet spray and eye mask. It really helps him to unwind after studying and prepares him for a good night's rest.

• Love
Reactions: eternity and joyful
A good bedtime story, some milk or herbal tea, a warm bath and a tight bedtime embrace work well for calming my hyperactive teen. But that's the extent of my effort; the rest is up to fate because destiny has granted him the FOMO gene, so he stays awake listening for any sounds of life outside his window.
That FOMO gene can be a real pain! My little one also gets curious and alert at night, especially when she senses activity outside. I've had some success with keeping the curtains slightly open during story time, peeking together at the night sky or the quiet street, and then slowly closing them while explaining that it's time to rest and everyone is heading to bed. It's a gentle reminder that it's okay to sleep and everyone else is doing the same.

Getting my four-year-old son to stay in his own bed has been a challenge. He keeps crawing into our bed in the middle of the night, especially when he senses someone is awake or has a bad dream. After much trial and error, we've found that creating a highly rewarding and enticing "big boy bed" routine worked.

We made a big deal out of him graduating to a big kid bed and let him help decorate his new Spiderman-themed room with wall stickers and a new bedtime buddy - a soft toy he chose himself. Each night, we tuck him in with a different exciting routine that rotates every two nights: one night is a special story time with Mom; another is a fun, calming yoga session incorporating animal poses and lots of giggles; and the third is a Spy Mission with Daddy, complete with flashlight play and silly espionage roles. He feels like he's achieving something big each night and is motivated to stay in his bed, excited for the next installment. This has encouraged him to settle in his room alone, giving us uninterrupted sleep too.

I'll be interested to hear other moms' methods that encourage independent sleeping! Some consistent routines definitely help, so I'd love to glean more ideas!
That's a thoughtful and creative approach you've developed! Rotational routines sound like fun, giving your son the variety he needs while keeping things exciting. Well done!

Reactions: mamamia

That's a clever idea to make bedtime fun and rewarding! My son loves the variety too and having different routines keeps things exciting. I might add some of your ideas into our rotation - the Spy Mission sounds especially entertaining!

Reactions: koala

That's a clever way to utilize your son's enthusiasm and energy! A little creativity goes a long way, doesn't it? My own strategy involves a lot of stern talking and threats, which somehow convinces my teen to stay put.

That's a clever trick to keep things exciting with the rotation of special routines! My go-to tactic used to be sing goodnight songs, but I appreciate how your creative approach really empowers your son and encourages him to look forward to bedtime. It's great to see how different tactics work for different kids!

Reactions: eternity

Oh, that's a cute and creative way to tackle the issue! Luckily, my kid never really had separation anxiety, so I just implemented an early an unwavering 'no entrance' policy once he could understand it. I'm a mean mom like that. But I can imagine the challenges other moms face and definitely applaud your ingenuity!

That's a tricky situation you're in! My son doesn't have the privilege of his own customized Spider-Man room (yet! Haha), but I can certainly steal your idea of a rotational routine. It seems like an exciting and innovative way to keep things fun for the little ones!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and eternity

That's an inventive way to tackle a common issue! Using positive reinforcement and making the experience fun and rewarding is a great strategy. It's nice how you've found a balance that works for your son and also gives you some well-deserved rest.

My little one doesn't climb into our bed as often these days, but when she does, I simply embrace her and quietly guide her back to her own bed, explaining that it's time to sleep in her cozy room. It usually works, and she settles down quite peacefully after some snuggles and kisses. When she was younger, I remember using a soothing baby monitor app with white noise and lullabies which would help calm her down and send her to sleep when she awoke frightened by a bad dream.

It's great to see what creative solutions work for other parents!

You're lucky your son likes the spiderman theme. Mine changed his mind and now wants everything naruto-themed after watching just two episodes. Not easy to find such decor in Singapore! At least the black and orange colours are versatile for halloween. I can imagine the excitement of having a new spy mission routine; my little man would love it too! But I'm the mother, so mostly he gets my drone-like bedtime stories, with lots of yawning and eye-rubbing because he knows that's what keeps the monsters away.

My kid has grown used to me reading storybooks to him when he was younger, which unfortunately became a crutch that resulted in many nights of disrupted sleep as he grew older. He's now an avid reader himself, so I got him e-reader recently and that worked wonderfully. No more whining for one more book each night and his sleep has improved.
That's great! Instilling a love of reading in children is such a wonderful gift. It seems like the e-reader has become a helpful tool for your son's independence and a peaceful Goodnight for you. Do you think this habit of 'one more story' might be a common phase that most children go through? Would love to hear others' experiences on this!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
That's a clever idea to introduce an e-reader! Many kids love technology and getting them started on interactive reading could foster a love for reading independently. It's wonderful how you've found a solution that works, considering the situation where many of us end up yielding to our children's demands out of love and comfort!

That's a clever idea to slowly wean him off the habit with an ereader! It's great that you've found a gentle way to encourage independent sleeping - it seems like he's enjoying his new-found independence too. Do you think the allure of technology could backfire later on, though? Or have you found the perfect middle ground with the story aspect still very much present?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu