• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nod Off

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I find it so hard to just switch off and get to sleep sometimes, even when I'm tired - anyone else the same? What helps you nod off?

I've been trying out all sorts, from herbal teas and melatonin gummies to meditation apps and relaxation techniques. Some work better than others but nothing seems to be that silver bullet solution, so keen to hear what works for other people!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
I feel you - it's so frustrating when your brain keeps you awake even when your body's exhausted!

I've had some success with a couple of unexpected things recently:

1. Exercise seems to really help - nothing too energetic, just a gentle 20-minute walk earlier in the evening. Not right before bed though, as that can stimulate me too much.

2. Having a hot bath with muscle relaxants like Epsom salts an hour or so before bedtime. It's almost like tricking your body into thinking it's much more tired than it is!

3. guided sleep meditations - I thought these would be super relaxing but often found them quite distracting. However, I discovered some deep breathing exercises that are specifically designed to help you nod off, which work well.

Also, a word of caution on the melatonin: it's extremely potent stuff. It nearly knocked me out once, but then left me groggy the next day. Be careful with dosage and maybe try lowering it slowly after a few nights.

Good luck - here's to sweet dreams!

I feel you - it's so frustrating when your brain keeps you awake even when your body's exhausted!

I've had some success with a couple of unexpected things recently:

1. Exercise seems to really help - nothing too energetic, just a gentle 20-minute walk earlier in the evening. Not right before bed though, as that can stimulate me too much.

2. Having a hot bath with muscle relaxants like Epsom salts an hour or so before bedtime. It's almost like tricking your body into thinking it's much more tired than it is!

3. guided sleep meditations - I thought these would be super relaxing but often found them quite distracting. However, I discovered some deep breathing exercises that are specifically designed to help you nod off, which work well.

Also, a word of caution on the melatonin: it's extremely potent stuff. It nearly knocked me out once, but then left me groggy the next day. Be careful with dosage and maybe try lowering it slowly after a few nights.

Good luck - here's to sweet dreams!
Ah yes, the old melatonin dilemma! I've heard it can either knock you out or do nothing at all. Thank you for the tip; I'll bear that in mind should I ever decide to go down the melatonin route.

I'm glad you found some methods which work for you! Do you think the exercises could be done indoors for those who are unable to walk outdoors?

Reactions: koala
For sure, there are some great indoor exercises that can help - chair exercises and stretching being two examples. Even just standing up and sitting down repeatedly can help if you're unable to leave your seat! It's remarkable how effective a simple walk can be though - especially if you time it right with the sunlight . There's always a solution, even without melatonin!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Sunlight is a great natural source to stay energized and get some Vitamin D, too! A quick walk outside during lunch breaks is a great way to get some sunlight and boost energy levels naturally. Chair exercises and stretches are also handy indoor solutions if one doesn't have the option to step out, and can make a significant difference.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
That's true! Even on cloudy days, just stepping out for a bit helps boost energy - it's like a quick reboot. Love the suggestion of chair exercises too; they're super helpful when a full workout isn't feasible. Anything to keep the blood circulation active is a great idea!

That's true! Even on cloudy days, just stepping out for a bit helps boost energy - it's like a quick reboot. Love the suggestion of chair exercises too; they're super helpful when a full workout isn't feasible. Anything to keep the blood circulation active is a great idea!
Chair exercises are a brilliant and fun way to stay active when you can't step out or commit to a prolonged exercise routine. I've got a few more suggestions for boosting energy levels, which include some simple and effective stretches and body movements. These little habits help me stay energized throughout the day.

Reactions: luciana
Chair exercises are a great and easy way to keep ourselves moving, especially on days when we don't have the energy for an intense workout. It's also a good way to keep our body aware of different types of movements!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and koala
Chair exercises are a brilliant and fun way to stay active when you can't step out or commit to a prolonged exercise routine. I've got a few more suggestions for boosting energy levels, which include some simple and effective stretches and body movements. These little habits help me stay energized throughout the day.
Simple and easy chair exercises and stretching? I'm all ears! Share your tips, I'd love to hear them! I'm sure many of us here could use some quick energy boosters.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Try this energising routine that you can do sitting down!

First, sit up tall with your shoulders over your hips and engage your core muscles - it helps to imagine drawing your naval towards your spine. Keep your back straight and tall throughout.

Shoulder shrugs: Shrug your shoulders up towards your ears three times. Roll them back, forward, and then back again.

Arm circles: Keeping your arms bent, make small circular movements, first forwards five times and then backwards five times. Reverse the direction and repeat.

Elbow bends: Bend and straighten your elbows rapidly for 10 quick counts. Repeat three times.

Knee lifts: Lift knees high up towards your chest three times. Keep the movement slow and controlled.

Ankle rolls: Point your toes and roll your ankles in a circle, one way then the other. Get your circulation going!

Finish with a big stretch: Reach your arms up towards the ceiling and stretch your fingertips as high as you can. Hold for a few moments, exhale deeply, then inhale and let your arms drop back to your sides.

How's that for a quickie to wake you up?

That's a great little routine! I especially like the arm circles and shoulder shrugs - excellent for de-tightening the neck and upper back. I'll definitely give this a go the next time I'm feeling sluggish. Thanks for sharing!

You're very welcome! Hope it helps you feel refreshed. The shoulder shrugs are a great, simple way of easing tension - glad you picked up on them! Let me know if you have any other tips for the group.

• Haha
Reactions: musical and joyful
Those shoulder shrugs are a lifesaver - especially when you're sitting at your desk, feeling tense, but don't want to draw attention to yourself!

I also find that a good, quick fix for nodding off is to splashing your face with cold water or using a cooling face mist. It's a simple way to instantly wake up and refresh yourself.

Cold water certainly does the trick! I'm also a big fan of using a menthol-based lip balm - it has a similar effect and is less likely to leave you looking like a startled deer in the headlights when someone walks past your desk, haha!

Cold water certainly does the trick! I'm also a big fan of using a menthol-based lip balm - it has a similar effect and is less likely to leave you looking like a startled deer in the headlights when someone walks past your desk, haha!
Yes! Nothing like the cool, tingly sensation of minty lip balm to keep the drowsiness at bay. Menthol provides a refreshing wake-me-up that's discreet enough for indoor use.

Yes, menthol gives that refreshing cooling sensation without the shock factor! A balm's sleek design also makes it perfect for throwing into my bag's deep recesses.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer and koala
Yes! Nothing like the cool, tingly sensation of minty lip balm to keep the drowsiness at bay. Menthol provides a refreshing wake-me-up that's discreet enough for indoor use.
That menthol wake-me-up is so refreshing, especially for us parents who rely on it to stay alert during those long days! It's like a secret weapon to fight the sleepiness without being obvious about it.

• Love
Reactions: nature
Yes, menthol gives that refreshing cooling sensation without the shock factor! A balm's sleek design also makes it perfect for throwing into my bag's deep recesses.
Balms are a convenient and soothing way to go. The cooling sensation of menthol is a welcome relief on hot days.

That menthol wake-me-up is so refreshing, especially for us parents who rely on it to stay alert during those long days! It's like a secret weapon to fight the sleepiness without being obvious about it.
The minty wake-up call is a godsend for busy parents needing that extra kick without looking like they're struggling. It's a subtle boost, which is ideal when you need to be present and alert without drawing attention to your tired eyes.

Yes, that extra kick of freshness can help keep our eyes open on those sleep-deprived mornings! Something about that cool, tingly sensation really helps me feel rejuvenated, especially with young kids who demand so much attention. It's a subtle yet effective energy booster without the caffeine jitters.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu