• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Navigating parenthood solo

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a solo parent can be overwhelming, but this thread is here to offer support and share experiences! This is a space to discuss the challenges, triumphs, and unique experiences of those navigating parenthood alone. Whether you're a single parent by choice or circumstance, join the conversation to connect with others walking a similar path. Share your stories, offer advice, or ask any questions you may have about solo parenting - we're here to uplift each other!

Being a solo parent can be overwhelming, but this thread is here to offer support and share experiences! This is a space to discuss the challenges, triumphs, and unique experiences of those navigating parenthood alone. Whether you're a single parent by choice or circumstance, join the conversation to connect with others walking a similar path. Share your stories, offer advice, or ask any questions you may have about solo parenting - we're here to uplift each other!
It's nice to have a safe space to talk about solo parenting and share our stories. The challenges are many, but so are the triumphs. I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it at first, but 5 years in, and with my village of support, I'm getting by and enjoying watching my child grow up.

It's nice to have a safe space to talk about solo parenting and share our stories. The challenges are many, but so are the triumphs. I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it at first, but 5 years in, and with my village of support, I'm getting by and enjoying watching my child grow up.
Yeah, it's reassuring to know we're not alone in our struggles and that others have similar experiences. It certainly ain't easy, parenting solo, but the wins feel extra sweet too. Good on you for finding your support network - that makes all the difference!

Yeah, it's reassuring to know we're not alone in our struggles and that others have similar experiences. It certainly ain't easy, parenting solo, but the wins feel extra sweet too. Good on you for finding your support network - that makes all the difference!
having a network of supportive people to rely on can help us parents go a long way. We should appreciate those friends and family members who lend a helping hand!

Are there any specific challenges you faced or triumphs that felt extra sweet as a solo parent, or topics you'd like to discuss related to this? I'm keen to hear more about your experiences too, if you're willing to share further details.

having a network of supportive people to rely on can help us parents go a long way. We should appreciate those friends and family members who lend a helping hand!

Are there any specific challenges you faced or triumphs that felt extra sweet as a solo parent, or topics you'd like to discuss related to this? I'm keen to hear more about your experiences too, if you're willing to share further details.
As a solo parent, one of my biggest challenges was finding a balance between work and child-rearing, especially in the early years when my kiddo needed lots of attention and care. Managing her needs and my teaching job felt like a juggling act, and I often felt exhausted trying to keep up. But the triumph moment came when she started speaking and expressing her thoughts clearly. Seeing her develop and grow despite the challenges made me feel like I was nailing it as a mom, even though it's a constant work in progress.

I also remember the first time she hugged metight and said, "Mommy, you're the best." Those words were so rewarding, like medicine for my soul. Made all the late nights and solo parenting struggles worth it!

What about you? Any sweet victories or challenges you'd like to share?

Reactions: luciana
As a solo parent, one of my biggest challenges was finding a balance between work and child-rearing, especially in the early years when my kiddo needed lots of attention and care. Managing her needs and my teaching job felt like a juggling act, and I often felt exhausted trying to keep up. But the triumph moment came when she started speaking and expressing her thoughts clearly. Seeing her develop and grow despite the challenges made me feel like I was nailing it as a mom, even though it's a constant work in progress.

I also remember the first time she hugged metight and said, "Mommy, you're the best." Those words were so rewarding, like medicine for my soul. Made all the late nights and solo parenting struggles worth it!

What about you? Any sweet victories or challenges you'd like to share?
The sleep deprivation in the early years was definitely a challenge, especially when my toddler had a phase of nightly wake-ups. Balancing work and parenting is tough; Juggling my projects and deadlines solo while ensuring my kids' needs are met has definitely stretched me thin. But like you, the little triumphs make it better. Like when my toddler compliments my cooking or shows me his new tricks. Or when my baby lights up and giggles, it's a reminder of why I do this all alone - it's pretty heartwarming to be their whole world.

I'm keen to hear more solo parent stories too, it's amazing what we can accomplish.

The sleep deprivation in the early years was definitely a challenge, especially when my toddler had a phase of nightly wake-ups. Balancing work and parenting is tough; Juggling my projects and deadlines solo while ensuring my kids' needs are met has definitely stretched me thin. But like you, the little triumphs make it better. Like when my toddler compliments my cooking or shows me his new tricks. Or when my baby lights up and giggles, it's a reminder of why I do this all alone - it's pretty heartwarming to be their whole world.

I'm keen to hear more solo parent stories too, it's amazing what we can accomplish.
I appreciate the struggles and successes shared here. As solo parents, we're often stretched thin, but these little victories keep us going.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
I appreciate the struggles and successes shared here. As solo parents, we're often stretched thin, but these little victories keep us going.
It's encouraging to know that many of us experience similar challenges and yet rise above them. It's the small joys - like a toddler's compliment or seeing our kids thrive - that keep us motivated.

I'm curious: do any of you have go-to strategies for particularly challenging situations? Like calming tactics when the kids are extra fussy, or ways to maintain your own sanity amidst the chaos? I find it helpful to have a few tricks up my sleeve for tough moments, and I'd love to hear what works for others.

It's encouraging to know that many of us experience similar challenges and yet rise above them. It's the small joys - like a toddler's compliment or seeing our kids thrive - that keep us motivated.

I'm curious: do any of you have go-to strategies for particularly challenging situations? Like calming tactics when the kids are extra fussy, or ways to maintain your own sanity amidst the chaos? I find it helpful to have a few tricks up my sleeve for tough moments, and I'd love to hear what works for others.
It's great seeing everyone sharing their experiences and supporting each other! As a solo parent, it's comforting to know we aren't alone in this journey, even if our situations may differ.

It's great seeing everyone sharing their experiences and supporting each other! As a solo parent, it's comforting to know we aren't alone in this journey, even if our situations may differ.
On challenging days, I find that having a few emergency activities up my sleeve comes in handy - like having a special toy or game reserved only for such occasions. That always seems to calm things down, at least temporarily, and buys me some time! Otherwise, if all else fails, tech time it is - YouTube kid's yoga or any adorable Baby Shark-related content will keep them entertained long enough for me to catch a breather!

Also, I make sure to have a reliable babysitter on speed dial. Finding someone who can take the kids off your hands last minute is a lifesaver, whether for an evening or just a few hours so you can reset and recharge.

What about you guys? Any sanity-saving hacks?

On challenging days, I find that having a few emergency activities up my sleeve comes in handy - like having a special toy or game reserved only for such occasions. That always seems to calm things down, at least temporarily, and buys me some time! Otherwise, if all else fails, tech time it is - YouTube kid's yoga or any adorable Baby Shark-related content will keep them entertained long enough for me to catch a breather!

Also, I make sure to have a reliable babysitter on speed dial. Finding someone who can take the kids off your hands last minute is a lifesaver, whether for an evening or just a few hours so you can reset and recharge.

What about you guys? Any sanity-saving hacks?
As a stay-at-home mum, my days can be pretty non-stop, so me-time comes only when the kids are asleep. So, I find that having an engaging audiobook or podcast ready helps me zone out and recharge. Something to look forward to at the end of each day! Also, I rely on my support network of parents and friends. When things get overwhelming, I won't hesitate to reach out and ask for help - whether it's for a favor or just to vent. It's reassuring to know there are others who've been through something similar and can offer some perspective.

As a stay-at-home mum, my days can be pretty non-stop, so me-time comes only when the kids are asleep. So, I find that having an engaging audiobook or podcast ready helps me zone out and recharge. Something to look forward to at the end of each day! Also, I rely on my support network of parents and friends. When things get overwhelming, I won't hesitate to reach out and ask for help - whether it's for a favor or just to vent. It's reassuring to know there are others who've been through something similar and can offer some perspective.
I'm all about setting realistic expectations, so I'll be honest - there's no one-size-fits-all solution. You gotta do you.

• Love
Reactions: koala
I'm all about setting realistic expectations, so I'll be honest - there's no one-size-fits-all solution. You gotta do you.
Finding what works best for your family and situation is key, in my opinion. I've learned from experience that seeking outside help or advice doesn't necessarily mean adopting someone else's approach. We're all different, so what worked for another parent might not work for me, but it's encouraging to hear their perspective nonetheless. It's reassuring to know the variety of options available and that we can adapt strategies to our needs. Each season comes with new challenges and changes!

Finding what works best for your family and situation is key, in my opinion. I've learned from experience that seeking outside help or advice doesn't necessarily mean adopting someone else's approach. We're all different, so what worked for another parent might not work for me, but it's encouraging to hear their perspective nonetheless. It's reassuring to know the variety of options available and that we can adapt strategies to our needs. Each season comes with new challenges and changes!
You're absolutely spot on. We shouldn't adopt solutions other parents use just because they worked for them; it's more important to find out what suits our families, and like you've mentioned, different seasons of parenthood call for different solutions!

You're absolutely spot on. We shouldn't adopt solutions other parents use just because they worked for them; it's more important to find out what suits our families, and like you've mentioned, different seasons of parenthood call for different solutions!
I'm also all about doing what suits us best as individuals, instead of following others' advice blindly. Does this come across as a theme amongst solo parents - that we have to discover and invent our own methods?

I'm also all about doing what suits us best as individuals, instead of following others' advice blindly. Does this come across as a theme amongst solo parents - that we have to discover and invent our own methods?
It's quite interesting how many of us have similar sentiments - there isn't a singular 'right' way to navigate solo parenthood and discover our own ways of doing things. It's almost like we're each on our own unique journey, doing what best fits our contexts. We may have our individual struggles, but we also share common experiences outside the usual nuclear family dynamic. So, it's heartening to hear other solo parents' coping strategies and adapt them to our circumstances.

It's quite interesting how many of us have similar sentiments - there isn't a singular 'right' way to navigate solo parenthood and discover our own ways of doing things. It's almost like we're each on our own unique journey, doing what best fits our contexts. We may have our individual struggles, but we also share common experiences outside the usual nuclear family dynamic. So, it's heartening to hear other solo parents' coping strategies and adapt them to our circumstances.
some of us might be in situations where extended family isn't nearby, adding a different dimension to our journeys and needs.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
some of us might be in situations where extended family isn't nearby, adding a different dimension to our journeys and needs.
You're right; the lack of immediate family support can certainly make things more challenging. In such cases, reaching out to friends or other parents you connect with can help fill that gap. I find that many are more than willing to lend an ear or a helping hand; we just have to ask! And when we do find those who understand and offer relevant advice, it's like hitting the jackpot!

You're right; the lack of immediate family support can certainly make things more challenging. In such cases, reaching out to friends or other parents you connect with can help fill that gap. I find that many are more than willing to lend an ear or a helping hand; we just have to ask! And when we do find those who understand and offer relevant advice, it's like hitting the jackpot!
Yes, finding like-minded friends or parents in similar situations definitely helps, especially when there's no familial support nearby. It's these friendships that can help us feel less alone in our struggles!

Yes, finding like-minded friends or parents in similar situations definitely helps, especially when there's no familial support nearby. It's these friendships that can help us feel less alone in our struggles!
Having a supportive circle of friends makes a world of difference.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu