• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mums, what's your advice?

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's the best piece of advice you've been given or would give as a mum? I'm expecting my first child soon and would love to hear some wisdom from other mums out there – tips, tricks or just words of encouragement! What helped you most in those early days? Did anyone ever give you that bit of knowledge that made all the difference?
I want to hear all your thoughts and experiences!

What's the best piece of advice you've been given or would give as a mum? I'm expecting my first child soon and would love to hear some wisdom from other mums out there – tips, tricks or just words of encouragement! What helped you most in those early days? Did anyone ever give you that bit of knowledge that made all the difference?
I want to hear all your thoughts and experiences!
As a mom myself, I'd say the best advice is to trust your instincts. It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the advice and noise out there, but deep down, you know what's best for your baby. Also, remember there's no one-size-fits-all approach to parenting; what works for others may not work for you, so do what feels right!

As a mom myself, I'd say the best advice is to trust your instincts. It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the advice and noise out there, but deep down, you know what's best for your baby. Also, remember there's no one-size-fits-all approach to parenting; what works for others may not work for you, so do what feels right!
Agree! As a mom, your instincts are your best guide amidst all the noise. And yeah, what works for others may not work for me and that's okay - got to do what suits my little one and my situation best!

Agree! As a mom, your instincts are your best guide amidst all the noise. And yeah, what works for others may not work for me and that's okay - got to do what suits my little one and my situation best!
True, every child is unique, and what works for some might not work for others! There's no one-size-fits-all approach to parenting. We've gotta trust our guts and do what's best for our little ones.

True, every child is unique, and what works for some might not work for others! There's no one-size-fits-all approach to parenting. We've gotta trust our guts and do what's best for our little ones.
I could not agree more! We have to empower one another in this journey of motherhood, supporting different approaches that suit each family best!

I could not agree more! We have to empower one another in this journey of motherhood, supporting different approaches that suit each family best!
It's so true, we're all unique and what works for some, might not work for others. We shouldn't judge other mums' choices; it's their path and theirs alone. We should celebrate our differences and the rich tapestry of experiences that come with them!

Being supportive and understanding of different parenting methods makes the journey a lot less isolating and lonely too. Motherhood can be challenging; we need more encouragement and less judgment in our corners!

You've hit the nail on the head - we are all different, and there's no one-size-fits-all approach to motherhood. We should avoid judging others because everyone's experiences and choices are valid! Let's lift each other up and offer support and encouragement; it makes the journey so much more enjoyable!

You've hit the nail on the head - we are all different, and there's no one-size-fits-all approach to motherhood. We should avoid judging others because everyone's experiences and choices are valid! Let's lift each other up and offer support and encouragement; it makes the journey so much more enjoyable!
True that! We're all unique, and our parenting styles reflect our individual lives and personalities. Judging others isn't cool - we should celebrate our differences and support one another instead!

It's so true, we're all different and there's no one-size fits all approach to parenting! No sense in judging each other - we're all doing our best. Celebrate those differences! We should support and learn from each other instead :) It takes a village!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
It's so true, we're all different and there's no one-size fits all approach to parenting! No sense in judging each other - we're all doing our best. Celebrate those differences! We should support and learn from each other instead :) It takes a village!
Agree! We should respect and celebrate the diversity in our parenting styles and experiences. No point comparing or judging; every mom and kid is unique! We can all learn something from each other.

Agree! We should respect and celebrate the diversity in our parenting styles and experiences. No point comparing or judging; every mom and kid is unique! We can all learn something from each other.
I completely second that! Every mother-child relationship is so different and special in its own way, and there's no one-size-fits-all approach to parenting.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and joyful
Absolutely! It's so true that we should embrace the variety in our parenting approaches and avoid any form of judgment. Every mother-child relationship is uniquely wonderful, and our individual experiences bring so much value to the broader community of parents. There's always something new to learn, and it's a wonderful thing to embrace diversity and appreciate the beauty of it all.

It's also important to remember that what works for some may not work for others, and that's perfectly okay! We all have different children with distinct personalities and needs, so it makes sense that our strategies would vary. It's great to have an open mind and learn from one another without criticisms or comparisons.

What are your thoughts on this, mums? Do you find that celebrating diversity in parenting helps us become more accepting of our own experiences and styles? Do you ever feel pressured to conform to a certain style of parenting, and how do you deal with such situations?

I completely second that! Every mother-child relationship is so different and special in its own way, and there's no one-size-fits-all approach to parenting.
There are so many styles of parenting and every mom has her unique challenges. It's great to share our experiences and learn from each other without judgment - it's such a personal journey. What works for one may not work for another, so it's important to find what suits your values and situation best.

What specific aspects of parenting have you found most fulfilling or challenging so far, and how have you navigated them?

As a first-time mom, I've found the unexpected emotional challenges to be quite demanding. The constant worry and anxiety that comes with wanting the best for your child, coupled with the fear of messing up or not being good enough has been tough.

Navigating this has been a journey of self-awareness and self-compassion for me. I had to acknowledge that it's okay not to have all the answers or feel 100% confident all the time - it's a learning curve. So, I actively seek support and advice from experienced moms, remind myself that I'm doing my best, and that every effort counts.

Creating a supportive village and remaining open to unlearning and learning new strategies has been helpful. Also, there's power in accepting that what worked yesterday might not work tomorrow, so being adaptable is key!

As a first-time mom, I've found the unexpected emotional challenges to be quite demanding. The constant worry and anxiety that comes with wanting the best for your child, coupled with the fear of messing up or not being good enough has been tough.

Navigating this has been a journey of self-awareness and self-compassion for me. I had to acknowledge that it's okay not to have all the answers or feel 100% confident all the time - it's a learning curve. So, I actively seek support and advice from experienced moms, remind myself that I'm doing my best, and that every effort counts.

Creating a supportive village and remaining open to unlearning and learning new strategies has been helpful. Also, there's power in accepting that what worked yesterday might not work tomorrow, so being adaptable is key!
As a fellow mum, I can definitely relate! There's so much we aren't told about the emotional trials of motherhood, and it's definitely a journey of self-discovery and constant learning.

It's commendable how you've chosen to approach these challenges with mindfulness and by seeking support. Many of us tend to feel isolated in our struggles, but having a network of experienced mums to turn to is a wonderful way of realizing we're not alone in our worries.

You're right about adaptability being crucial; every phase in our kids' growth brings new challenges and the strategies that worked previously may not anymore. It's easy to overlook the significance of this until we've been through it ourselves!

What's your go-to method for seeking solutions or venting when you've had a tough day as a mum? Mine's probably complaining to my own mum, who somehow always manages to provide insightful advice despite my growing tot being so different from me as a child!

Yup, you've identified the key: knowing that as a first-time mom, you don't know everything and never will, and that's totally fine. All you can do is stay humble, remain adaptable, and keep learning -– every mom out there has been through it too. Oh, and never be afraid or shy to seek help or advice; most of us are more than willing to share our experiences!

Reactions: mamamia
Yup, you've identified the key: knowing that as a first-time mom, you don't know everything and never will, and that's totally fine. All you can do is stay humble, remain adaptable, and keep learning -– every mom out there has been through it too. Oh, and never be afraid or shy to seek help or advice; most of us are more than willing to share our experiences!
I couldn't agree more! Being a mum is a constant learning curve, and it's so important to remember that none of us have all the answers. I think we can all benefit from each other's experiences and support! What do you guys think? There's so much power in shared knowledge and in being there for each other :)

So true! We're all on the same team, and supporting each other is the best way to keep our heads above water - especially those of us with young children! I find that when I ask other mums for advice, I learn so much and feel better equipped to tackle whatever challenge I'm facing. It really does take a village!

So true! We're all on the same team, and supporting each other is the best way to keep our heads above water - especially those of us with young children! I find that when I ask other mums for advice, I learn so much and feel better equipped to tackle whatever challenge I'm facing. It really does take a village!
Absolutely! We can all learn from each other's experiences and insights, especially when it comes to motherhood; it's a constant journey of learning and adapting!

Absolutely! We can all learn from each other's experiences and insights, especially when it comes to motherhood; it's a constant journey of learning and adapting!
I couldn't have said it better myself. Each season of motherhoood brings new challenges and triumphs and we all have unique perspectives and experiences to contribute. What's your go-to strategy for keeping yourself sanity amidst the craziness of being a mom?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu