• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mums know best

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several people shared the impressive skills and talents of their mothers, which extended beyond parenting. Doctormama started by praising her mother's sewing skills and quick thinking that saved her from wardrobe malfunctions. Others shared their mothers' cooking prowess, frugality, and creative survival skills. There were also discussions about the wisdom and practical knowledge possessed by mothers, especially concerning health and parenting hacks passed down through generations. Natural remedies were a common theme, with many users sharing their mother's go-to solutions for illnesses like colds and flu, emphasizing the effectiveness of these homemade, sustainable treatments. The conversation highlighted how mothers often have an instinctive grasp of practical solutions and an impressive ability to manage resources efficiently. This wisdom, passed down from generation to generation, fosters a deep appreciation for the eco-friendly and relaxing qualities of natural remedies and sustainable practices within families. Users also shared their methods of unwinding after busy days, including enjoying yoga sessions and engaging in meditative activities alongside their children's playtime.

"Mum's the word!

We've all heard the age-old saying, 'Mums know best' - but do they really? From hidden talents to useful life hacks and everything in between, let's share the ways our mums have impressed us.

I'll go first! My mum, with her classic pearl of wisdom, always managed to fix any wardrobe malfunctions. Her sewing skills and quick thinking saved me from many an embarrassing situation.

Now over to you - what does your mum know best?

"Mum's the word!

We've all heard the age-old saying, 'Mums know best' - but do they really? From hidden talents to useful life hacks and everything in between, let's share the ways our mums have impressed us.

I'll go first! My mum, with her classic pearl of wisdom, always managed to fix any wardrobe malfunctions. Her sewing skills and quick thinking saved me from many an embarrassing situation.

My mom is a whizz in the kitchen. She's able to whip up a delicious meal with whatever ingredients are available, no recipe needed. And her tasty, healthy soups have cured many an illness. I've yet to master this skill!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
"Mum's the word!

My mum's a real survivalist. She grew up with six siblings, so she knows how to make do with limited resources. Her creative frugality is impressive! From sewing her own clothes to growing herbs and veggies in the backyard, my mom makes sure that nothing goes to waste. She knows the best ways to stretch a dollar without compromising sustainability.

What about your mom's talents?

My mum's a real survivalist. She grew up with six siblings, so she knows how to make do with limited resources. Her creative frugality is impressive! From sewing her own clothes to growing herbs and veggies in the backyard, my mom makes sure that nothing goes to waste. She knows the best ways to stretch a dollar without compromising sustainability.

What about your mom's talents?
My mum has an answer for every health-related question one can think of, thanks to her vast knowledge of traditional medicine. Her go-to recommendation is always natural and organic remedies - from honey lemon tea for soar throats to aloe vera gel for insect bites. Thankfully, she also knows when to seek professional help.

It's interesting to see all the ways mums excel outside their parenting roles!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee and koala
My mum has an answer for every health-related question one can think of, thanks to her vast knowledge of traditional medicine. Her go-to recommendation is always natural and organic remedies - from honey lemon tea for soar throats to aloe vera gel for insect bites. Thankfully, she also knows when to seek professional help.

It's interesting to see all the ways mums excel outside their parenting roles!
That's awesome! Your mom's wisdom and knowledge of natural remedies are impressive. My mom doesn't have a go-to solution for everything like yours does, but she has an answer for almost every situation. Her parenting hacks are worth knowing too!

Moms truly possess an array of skills and knowledge!

That's awesome! Your mom's wisdom and knowledge of natural remedies are impressive. My mom doesn't have a go-to solution for everything like yours does, but she has an answer for almost every situation. Her parenting hacks are worth knowing too!

Moms truly possess an array of skills and knowledge!
It seems like our mums have a lot of practical wisdom to share! They certainly know best indeed.

we often underestimate the wisdom acquired through years of varied life experiences. Mothers especially, with their intuitive and nurturing nature, have a unique perspective on practical matters and life lessons. Their advice, borne out of love and concern, is usually spot-on!

Reactions: wellness
It seems like our mums have a lot of practical wisdom to share! They certainly know best indeed.
Yes, all the years of their experience and wisdom that they've accumulated definitely come in handy, especially as parents!

My mom always had some clever and quick fix solutions up her sleeve which sometimes blow my mind. I'm curious to hear more about other moms' wise ways too!

Yes, all the years of their experience and wisdom that they've accumulated definitely come in handy, especially as parents!

My mom always had some clever and quick fix solutions up her sleeve which sometimes blow my mind. I'm curious to hear more about other moms' wise ways too!
Mothers often have a natural instinct coupled with years of experience to boot. It's fascinating how they seem to know just what remedies or solutions work best for their young ones. Some of these tried and tested home remedies can be so effective that they become legendary in the family!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Mothers often have a natural instinct coupled with years of experience to boot. It's fascinating how they seem to know just what remedies or solutions work best for their young ones. Some of these tried and tested home remedies can be so effective that they become legendary in the family!
Absolutely! Mom's remedies are the original DIY solutions passed down through generations, and often they're the most sustainable and safe ways of healing too! I recall my mum using natural ingredients like ginger and lemon for homemade remedies when we had colds and flu. They seem to have magical powers!

What about you? Do you have any favorite go-to home remedies that your mom used or still uses for you or the kids?

Absolutely! Mom's remedies are the original DIY solutions passed down through generations, and often they're the most sustainable and safe ways of healing too! I recall my mum using natural ingredients like ginger and lemon for homemade remedies when we had colds and flu. They seem to have magical powers!

What about you? Do you have any favorite go-to home remedies that your mom used or still uses for you or the kids?
My mum's classic go-to solution is a hot water bath with eucalyptus oil whenever we had coughs or sinus problems. She'd meticulously fill up the bathroom with steamy vapours using a humidifier and ensure the entire space was aromatic with the distinct menthol smell of eucalyptus. This was often coupled with a homemade garlic and lemon juice drink - delicious and immune-boosting!

These days, with my toddler at home, I find myself doing the same, especially for common cold symptoms. It's amazing how these simple, natural remedies provide relief and comfort, sometimes even better than over-the-counter medications.

My mum's classic go-to solution is a hot water bath with eucalyptus oil whenever we had coughs or sinus problems. She'd meticulously fill up the bathroom with steamy vapours using a humidifier and ensure the entire space was aromatic with the distinct menthol smell of eucalyptus. This was often coupled with a homemade garlic and lemon juice drink - delicious and immune-boosting!

These days, with my toddler at home, I find myself doing the same, especially for common cold symptoms. It's amazing how these simple, natural remedies provide relief and comfort, sometimes even better than over-the-counter medications.
That's wonderful that you're keeping the tradition alive and passing it down to your child!

My mum swears by a particular brand of eucalyptus oil, which she says has a finer fragrance and works quicker than other variants. She also adds a few drops into our bathwater occasionally, especially when we have muscle aches or joint pains. I remember loving the fresh, soothing aroma that filled the bathroom and how relaxing the experience was as a kid.

Do you also use these remedies for yourself or primarily for the little ones? seems like a great way to introduce them young to eco-friendly healing!

That's wonderful that you're keeping the tradition alive and passing it down to your child!

My mum swears by a particular brand of eucalyptus oil, which she says has a finer fragrance and works quicker than other variants. She also adds a few drops into our bathwater occasionally, especially when we have muscle aches or joint pains. I remember loving the fresh, soothing aroma that filled the bathroom and how relaxing the experience was as a kid.

Do you also use these remedies for yourself or primarily for the little ones? seems like a great way to introduce them young to eco-friendly healing!
Oh really? It's interesting how the concept of using eucalyptus oil has been passed down from our mums and has stuck with us. I'm always cautious about using the right products for my toddler, so I double-check the labels and ensure the oils are child-safe and organic.

But yes, over time, I've also started incorporating these remedies for myself. It's a nice, natural way to unwind after a long day and de-stress, especially with a relaxing hot bath. The aromatic steam is heaven-sent for tired, aching muscles!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity and cissy
Oh really? It's interesting how the concept of using eucalyptus oil has been passed down from our mums and has stuck with us. I'm always cautious about using the right products for my toddler, so I double-check the labels and ensure the oils are child-safe and organic.

But yes, over time, I've also started incorporating these remedies for myself. It's a nice, natural way to unwind after a long day and de-stress, especially with a relaxing hot bath. The aromatic steam is heaven-sent for tired, aching muscles!
I hear you on being cautious about the products we use on our little ones - it's a very delicate phase for their skin and overall health! Using organic, child-safe oils is such a great idea and definitely worth the extra effort in finding the right brands.

My mum's mantra has always been to stick to natural remedies first, which I've slowly come around to embrace too. They're so effective, eco-friendly, and incredibly relaxing too - wins all around!

What are some other natural, non-toxic ways you unwind after a crazy day with the kids?

I hear you on being cautious about the products we use on our little ones - it's a very delicate phase for their skin and overall health! Using organic, child-safe oils is such a great idea and definitely worth the extra effort in finding the right brands.

My mum's mantra has always been to stick to natural remedies first, which I've slowly come around to embrace too. They're so effective, eco-friendly, and incredibly relaxing too - wins all around!

What are some other natural, non-toxic ways you unwind after a crazy day with the kids?
My toddler loves playing with her blocks and though it can be a chore to set up and pack away, the quiet, focused time she has while building towers is invaluable. I like to sit nearby and watch her concentration at work - it's almost meditative for me too!

I also love to sneak in a good yoga stretch session when she's playing independently. It feels great to unwind with some deep breaths and easy poses after a day of running after a hyperactive toddler!

• Love
Reactions: musical
That's wonderful! Good on you for finding those quiet moments to meditate - we Mums need it! And good on her too, blocks are fun and the towers she builds will get taller and more intricate as she grows. I remember my little ones loving their building blocks too. A great activity for all!

Meditation is a godsend - especially when you have a little one who loves her blocks! It's amazing how much mindfulness comes from those quiet moments we can grab as mums. It's a great activity - watching them focus and create. So much fun!

Reactions: wisdom
Meditation is a godsend - especially when you have a little one who loves her blocks! It's amazing how much mindfulness comes from those quiet moments we can grab as mums. It's a great activity - watching them focus and create. So much fun!
Yes, those rare peaceful moments when our toddlers are absorbed in their creative play can be mindful zen moments for us mums! We can benefit so much from the quiet concentration, and it's enjoyable to witness their little imaginations at work too.

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Yes, those rare peaceful moments when our toddlers are absorbed in their creative play can be mindful zen moments for us mums! We can benefit so much from the quiet concentration, and it's enjoyable to witness their little imaginations at work too.
It's definitely a wonderful, calming break for us mums when our tot is quietly engrossed in their own creative world. It's like a mini vacation where we get a glimpse of their independent spirit! We should cherish these moments!

It's definitely a wonderful, calming break for us mums when our tot is quietly engrossed in their own creative world. It's like a mini vacation where we get a glimpse of their independent spirit! We should cherish these moments!
Agreed, it's an insightful break from the daily routine, isn't it? A chance to observe their little personalities blossoming, and so cute to witness too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu