• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum-to-be essentials

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm so excited to be entering this new chapter in my life and wanted to connect with you all expecting mums out there to get some recommendations for essential items I should stock up on before the little one arrives. What are your go-to products that have helped you through pregnancy or that you think are absolute must-haves for a newborn? Any suggestions, big or small, would be so helpful!

Reactions: happyfeet
Hi everyone! I'm so excited to be entering this new chapter in my life and wanted to connect with you all expecting mums out there to get some recommendations for essential items I should stock up on before the little one arrives. What are your go-to products that have helped you through pregnancy or that you think are absolute must-haves for a newborn? Any suggestions, big or small, would be so helpful!
I'd recommend stocking up on wet wipes - you'll use them for everything, from cleaning the baby to freshening up during those sweaty pregnant nights. Also, lanolin cream was a lifesaver for soothing stretching skin and cracked nipples. Get some good nursing bras, too; you'll want to feel comfortable and supported during feeding sessions.

Reactions: musical
Stock up on breast pads, leakage will be an issue when your milk comes in; and a good double electric breastpump if you intend to breastfeed. Also don't forget a stroller that's easy to fold and maneuver - you won't always have a helper around, and it'll be handy when you're running errands by yourself.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
I'd recommend stocking up on wet wipes - you'll use them for everything, from cleaning the baby to freshening up during those sweaty pregnant nights. Also, lanolin cream was a lifesaver for soothing stretching skin and cracked nipples. Get some good nursing bras, too; you'll want to feel comfortable and supported during feeding sessions.
Yes, I second the lanolin cream! It's so versatile - you can even use it as a moisturizer in a pinch! Also, worth investing in some comfortable and absorbent maternity pads. You never know when your water might break, and those thin maternity pads will be a God-send for those first few days after delivery too.

Those are great suggestions! I didn't realise how useful wet wipes are - good for mopping up milk spills too! Also, I found that having a comfortable and easy-access outfit for those late-night feedings was a lifesaver. Something you can just throw on quickly without thinking too much about zipping or buttoning up.

Great calls! Those are definitely must-haves that you'd need plenty of, especially the wet wipes - they're useful for so many situations, even beyond the newborn stage!

I'd also suggest adding a nasal aspirator to your stash. It's an unconventional item, but it's been a God-send for me during my two kids' infancy - helps to suction their blocked noses when they're too young to blow themselves. Also, if you plan on breastfeeding, investing in a good pump and some nursing essentials like comfortable feeding pillows can be helpful.

I found keeping a thermo flask of hot water handy was also useful for those middle-of-the-night feeds - saves you the hassle of boiling water every time, plus it's good for making instant milk or coffee! A couple of comfortable and easy-access outfits for yourself in those initial days would be a good idea too; you'd want to feel as snug as a bug during that delicate postnatal period.

Great calls! Those are definitely must-haves that you'd need plenty of, especially the wet wipes - they're useful for so many situations, even beyond the newborn stage!

I'd also suggest adding a nasal aspirator to your stash. It's an unconventional item, but it's been a God-send for me during my two kids' infancy - helps to suction their blocked noses when they're too young to blow themselves. Also, if you plan on breastfeeding, investing in a good pump and some nursing essentials like comfortable feeding pillows can be helpful.

I found keeping a thermo flask of hot water handy was also useful for those middle-of-the-night feeds - saves you the hassle of boiling water every time, plus it's good for making instant milk or coffee! A couple of comfortable and easy-access outfits for yourself in those initial days would be a good idea too; you'd want to feel as snug as a bug during that delicate postnatal period.
Good suggestion about the nasal aspirator - it's one of those things you don't think about until you really need it! Same goes for the thermos flask - that's an ingenious idea for quick and easy warm water. Also agree on the comfortable clothing, those first few days are a blur of feeding and settling so you want to be as cozy as possible. Thanks!

Yes, I second the lanolin cream! It's so versatile - you can even use it as a moisturizer in a pinch! Also, worth investing in some comfortable and absorbent maternity pads. You never know when your water might break, and those thin maternity pads will be a God-send for those first few days after delivery too.
Thanks for the tip! My gynae also advised me to prepare a hospital bag with those thick maternity pads, just in case the baby comes early. I've been focusing so much on prepping the nursery and buying clothing that I've neglected some of these essential items. Good thing we still have some time!

Good calls, guys. Those are really thoughtful suggestions which I'm sure many expectant mums would find useful. I'd also suggest keeping those tummy warmers or hot compresses on hand - they're a natural way to soothe period cramps and could also help with any muscle aches post-delivery. Not to mention, they're quite comforting!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Good suggestion about the nasal aspirator - it's one of those things you don't think about until you really need it! Same goes for the thermos flask - that's an ingenious idea for quick and easy warm water. Also agree on the comfortable clothing, those first few days are a blur of feeding and settling so you want to be as cozy as possible. Thanks!
You ladies have been really helpful with all these suggestions. I'm making a list and ticking things off as I stock up! Keep the recommendations coming, though; you might just remind me of something else I need! Has anyone used those baby carry wraps? Are they any good, or are strollers the way to go for newborns?

Good calls, guys. Those are really thoughtful suggestions which I'm sure many expectant mums would find useful. I'd also suggest keeping those tummy warmers or hot compresses on hand - they're a natural way to soothe period cramps and could also help with any muscle aches post-delivery. Not to mention, they're quite comforting!
Those are great additions! The heat compresses are so soothing, and many mums-to-be could benefit from them during the later stages of pregnancy too. It's easy to overlook some of these essential items in the excitement of preparing the nursery. I'm sure you'll also want to have some snacks ready for those hungry moments, especially if you're nursing - something nutritious and easy to eat with one hand! ;D

Reactions: doctormama
Thanks for the tip! My gynae also advised me to prepare a hospital bag with those thick maternity pads, just in case the baby comes early. I've been focusing so much on prepping the nursery and buying clothing that I've neglected some of these essential items. Good thing we still have some time!
there's still time to prepare and stock up on those essentials, though it's a good idea to get the practical stuff out of the way early. You never know when those little ones will decide to arrive!

Reactions: greenfingers
There's plenty of time to prepare - it's good you're being organised about it! I over-prepared for my trips to the hospital, bringing unnecessary things like decorative pillows and extra changes of clothes. In the end, the essentials were all that mattered - and even then, the hospital provided quite a few things we needed. Focus on what you'll need for those first few days, because you might be in for a longer stay than you think! ;)

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
There's plenty of time to prepare - it's good you're being organised about it! I over-prepared for my trips to the hospital, bringing unnecessary things like decorative pillows and extra changes of clothes. In the end, the essentials were all that mattered - and even then, the hospital provided quite a few things we needed. Focus on what you'll need for those first few days, because you might be in for a longer stay than you think! ;)
Haha yes one learns these lessons with experience. And every hospital stay is different - you never know what you'll need for sure. Might as well keep it simple and stock up on the bare essentials, and maybe some treats to cheer up mum during the recovery period 😊

You ladies have been really helpful with all these suggestions. I'm making a list and ticking things off as I stock up! Keep the recommendations coming, though; you might just remind me of something else I need! Has anyone used those baby carry wraps? Are they any good, or are strollers the way to go for newborns?
Baby carries are excellent, giving your tot skin-to-skin contact and providing a cozy environment especially when you're out and about. They're a great alternative to prams, which can be bulky. Look for ergonomic carry wraps that distribute the baby's weight evenly - some brands offer this with built-in neck support too. However, do consider strollers with flexibility - models that are lightweight, easily foldable and adjustable as your newborn grows can be super convenient!

Haha yes one learns these lessons with experience. And every hospital stay is different - you never know what you'll need for sure. Might as well keep it simple and stock up on the bare essentials, and maybe some treats to cheer up mum during the recovery period 😊
Treats are a wonderful idea! Something telling me those chocolate bars won't last long though... : laugh: Mum's comfort food is essential too, especially with all that newfound milk supply! Have also heard good things about those breastfeeding snacks - seemingly harmless treats that help with milk production. Can never go wrong with biscuits or cookies, I say!

Treats for mama to cheer her up is a great idea! I've been so focused on getting everything ready for the baby that it hadn't crossed my mind to prepare some special snacks and comforts for myself.

True -- so many unknowns with a newborn! The uncertainty makes packing a challenge; I can only plan and prepare so much. Oh well, might as well enjoy the adventure! Thanks again for the help, ladies! Any last-minute must haves?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and wellness
Those are great additions! The heat compresses are so soothing, and many mums-to-be could benefit from them during the later stages of pregnancy too. It's easy to overlook some of these essential items in the excitement of preparing the nursery. I'm sure you'll also want to have some snacks ready for those hungry moments, especially if you're nursing - something nutritious and easy to eat with one hand! ;D
Snacks are definitely a good idea! I haven't thought about that but you're right - hungry moments seem to appear out of nowhere! ;D And I'm sure many new mums would appreciate the ease of a hands-free snacking option, haha.

Reactions: stargazer
True -- so many unknowns with a newborn! The uncertainty makes packing a challenge; I can only plan and prepare so much. Oh well, might as well enjoy the adventure! Thanks again for the help, ladies! Any last-minute must haves?
You are very welcome! Enjoying the adventure is the right kind of mindset to have! Remember that some things will be unavoidable, like the unpredictable feeding and changing schedules, so embrace the unpredictability and do your best.

With that said, I would also recommend having a small notepad and pen handy for those middle-of-the-night ideas or to-dos that suddenly come to mind. It's also great for jotting down questions for the pediatrician or health visitors, especially when you're sleep-deprived and likely to forget.

Beyond that, stay calm, and enjoy this exciting journey! Don't forget to treasure every moment -- they grow up real fast! ;D

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu