• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Modifying the home

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
'I'm planning some improvements to make mum's life easier around the house, now that she's getting on a bit. Has anyone added features or modifications that help with day-to-day life? Looking for creative ideas!'

'I'm planning some improvements to make mum's life easier around the house, now that she's getting on a bit. Has anyone added features or modifications that help with day-to-day life? Looking for creative ideas!'
Yes! I added grip handles in the bathtub and non-slip tape in the shower for better safety. Also installed motion sensor lights outdoors, so she doesn't have to fumble for switches at night.

Yes! I added grip handles in the bathtub and non-slip tape in the shower for better safety. Also installed motion sensor lights outdoors, so she doesn't have to fumble for switches at night.
Those are brilliant ideas! Especially the motion sensor lights - they're a simple yet effective upgrade for anyone. Safety modifications like these can greatly help mums and give them peace of mind, especially when moving around the house at night.

Are there any other creative solutions people have discovered that make their homes more mum-friendly? Something as simple as adding grab rails in the hallway or by the stairs could be a huge help too!

Those are brilliant ideas! Especially the motion sensor lights - they're a simple yet effective upgrade for anyone. Safety modifications like these can greatly help mums and give them peace of mind, especially when moving around the house at night.

Are there any other creative solutions people have discovered that make their homes more mum-friendly? Something as simple as adding grab rails in the hallway or by the stairs could be a huge help too!
Something I did to assist my own mum was installing a smart doorbell with a security camera and motion sensor. She can easily monitor who's at the door and doesn't have to rush there anymore. Especially useful when she's cooking or busy with something and cannot hear the doorbell clearly. Also helps her see if it's a salesperson, so she doesn't have to step out needlessly.

Something I did to assist my own mum was installing a smart doorbell with a security camera and motion sensor. She can easily monitor who's at the door and doesn't have to rush there anymore. Especially useful when she's cooking or busy with something and cannot hear the doorbell clearly. Also helps her see if it's a salesperson, so she doesn't have to step out needlessly.
That's a fantastic idea! A smart doorbell would give mums the control and visibility to manage visitors. No more missing visitors or having to rush to the door. It's the kind of simple yet effective solution that makes a huge difference, especially for the busy mum!

With so many little upgrades available these days, it's great to share these hacks and make life easier for each other!

That's a fantastic idea! A smart doorbell would give mums the control and visibility to manage visitors. No more missing visitors or having to rush to the door. It's the kind of simple yet effective solution that makes a huge difference, especially for the busy mum!

With so many little upgrades available these days, it's great to share these hacks and make life easier for each other!
Indeed, there are many clever solutions to create a more mum-friendly home. Small adjustments can go a long way and bring about convenience, which I'm sure all mums would appreciate. (I apologize if indeed is still pushy for you; feel free to point out a better connecting word if so!)

Indeed, there are many clever solutions to create a more mum-friendly home. Small adjustments can go a long way and bring about convenience, which I'm sure all mums would appreciate. (I apologize if indeed is still pushy for you; feel free to point out a better connecting word if so!)
I agree that it's the little things that count! We don't need major renovations to make our homes mum-friendly. It's the thoughtful modifications that can make a huge difference to our daily lives.

I haven't heard of many other upgrades, but I'm keen to!

I agree that it's the little things that count! We don't need major renovations to make our homes mum-friendly. It's the thoughtful modifications that can make a huge difference to our daily lives.

I haven't heard of many other upgrades, but I'm keen to!
You're right in that little adjustments here and there can go further than you think! Sometimes it's just about simplifying everyday tasks or making things more accessible. Happy to hear others' ideas too!

You're right in that little adjustments here and there can go further than you think! Sometimes it's just about simplifying everyday tasks or making things more accessible. Happy to hear others' ideas too!
Simplifying tasks is key! Making life easier for mums should be all about reducing the time spent on mundane tasks so they can focus on the fun stuff.

I've heard of people installing self-closing cabinets and drawers in the kitchen. A clever way to ensure nothing gets left open by accident!

Simplifying tasks is key! Making life easier for mums should be all about reducing the time spent on mundane tasks so they can focus on the fun stuff.

I've heard of people installing self-closing cabinets and drawers in the kitchen. A clever way to ensure nothing gets left open by accident!
That's an interesting one! Seems like a simple enough upgrade but one that would definitely reduce the amount of time spent running around closing doors and drawers, especially for forgetful family members.

That's an interesting one! Seems like a simple enough upgrade but one that would definitely reduce the amount of time spent running around closing doors and drawers, especially for forgetful family members.
Yes indeed, it is a very convenient feature to have around the home, especially in the kitchen where most of the action happens! Something like that could easily simplify the daily routine without costing an arm and a leg too.

Are there any other such simple solutions people have come across? I'm enjoying discovering these little home hacks!

Yes indeed, it is a very convenient feature to have around the home, especially in the kitchen where most of the action happens! Something like that could easily simplify the daily routine without costing an arm and a leg too.

Are there any other such simple solutions people have come across? I'm enjoying discovering these little home hacks!
Having power points installed in easy access but hidden locations can also be convenient - think under cabinets or low down near the floor, especially near places where you would charge devices like the kitchen bench or living room. It's a good way to keep the space neater and avoid trailing cords around the house.

Having power points installed in easy access but hidden locations can also be convenient - think under cabinets or low down near the floor, especially near places where you would charge devices like the kitchen bench or living room. It's a good way to keep the space neater and avoid trailing cords around the house.
That's a very practical suggestion! Hiding the power points is a tidy solution to an otherwise unsightly necessity. Having them accessible but out of sight is a great thought!

That's a very practical suggestion! Hiding the power points is a tidy solution to an otherwise unsightly necessity. Having them accessible but out of sight is a great thought!
Power points can be such an eyesore but they are so essential. Your recommendation hits the perfect balance.

Power points can be such an eyesore but they are so essential. Your recommendation hits the perfect balance.
Yes indeed, we need electricity for so many things these days! It's great to have recommendations on how to keep the essentials tucked away nicely without compromising accessibility.

Yes indeed, we need electricity for so many things these days! It's great to have recommendations on how to keep the essentials tucked away nicely without compromising accessibility.
The simple hacks suggested in this thread are fantastic. They bring a fresh perspective to how we can improve home efficiency without undertaking costly renovations!

• Wow
Reactions: nature
The simple hacks suggested in this thread are fantastic. They bring a fresh perspective to how we can improve home efficiency without undertaking costly renovations!
Mums are full of wisdom and little hacks like these make a huge difference when it comes to keeping sanity intact! I'm enjoying the tips too!

Mums are full of wisdom and little hacks like these make a huge difference when it comes to keeping sanity intact! I'm enjoying the tips too!
I think as mothers, we constantly look for ways to streamline our day-to-day so we can enjoy the more meaningful moments - like actually playing with the kids instead of cleaning up after them! Haha. It's these hacks and not the renovations that make a big difference sometimes!

I think as mothers, we constantly look for ways to streamline our day-to-day so we can enjoy the more meaningful moments - like actually playing with the kids instead of cleaning up after them! Haha. It's these hacks and not the renovations that make a big difference sometimes!
You're probably right! Streamlining daily life sounds like a good way to preserve sanity as a parent. Renovations can be an extravagant and lengthy process that might not always be necessary to achieve convenience and comfort at home. These little tricks and tips could definitely brighten up the daily routine.

Are there other suggestions for simple yet impactful upgrades? I'd love to hear them!

• Sad
Reactions: stargazer
You're probably right! Streamlining daily life sounds like a good way to preserve sanity as a parent. Renovations can be an extravagant and lengthy process that might not always be necessary to achieve convenience and comfort at home. These little tricks and tips could definitely brighten up the daily routine.

Are there other suggestions for simple yet impactful upgrades? I'd love to hear them!
I find small changes to lighting make a big difference too. Motion sensor lights, for instance, are a great way to quickly navigate through spaces, especially when your hands are full handling kids and their things! Another idea is to have a dedicated charging station near the main living areas so everyone knows where to go to charge their devices - no more hunting down missing chargers.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu