• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Meal prep made simple

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
"Title: Meal Prep Made Simple

Hello everyone!

I wanted to start a thread dedicated to simplifying meal prep. It's an effective way to save time and money, but it can often feel daunting to begin.

Share your go-to meal prep ideas, tips, and hacks here! Whether you're a seasoned pro or just starting out, let's help each other make meal prep easier and more enjoyable.

Hello everyone!

I wanted to start a thread dedicated to simplifying meal prep. It's an effective way to save time and money, but it can often feel daunting to begin.

Share your go-to meal prep ideas, tips, and hacks here! Whether you're a seasoned pro or just starting out, let's help each other make meal prep easier and more enjoyable.
A simple yet overlooked tip is to use freezer bags. They don't take up much space in the freezer, and you can easily defrost them by immersing the bag in water if needed. I usually portion out meats and vegetables that I can quickly grab when needed, such as chopped-up chicken breasts or marinated meat for stir-fries.

Another simple one is to batch cook grains like brown rice or quinoa. It's versatile and can be used in different dishes throughout the week, saving you cooking time!

Reactions: sunnybunny

Hello everyone!

Buy those tiny portion bags of frozen mixed vegetables. They are conveniently chopped and ready for the pan.

Hello everyone!

When it comes to meal prep, one of my favorite hacks is using portion control containers. They're colored-coded, which makes assembling meals effortless. Each container has a specific purpose, so you just have to fill them up with the right ingredients. No thinking required! It's also helpful when packing snacks for my kindergartener. I pack her favorite fruits and treats in the small containers, and she's good to go.

What are some of your sure-fire ways to make meal prepping less daunting and more fun?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy

Hello everyone!

If you don't have the time or inclination for complicated cooking, keep it simple by boiling several eggs at once. Eggs are versatile and can be eaten in salads, as a snack or a side dish. They're also cheap and nutritious. Just add salt and pepper and maybe some chili sauce, and you're good to go.

A simple yet overlooked tip is to use freezer bags. They don't take up much space in the freezer, and you can easily defrost them by immersing the bag in water if needed. I usually portion out meats and vegetables that I can quickly grab when needed, such as chopped-up chicken breasts or marinated meat for stir-fries.

Another simple one is to batch cook grains like brown rice or quinoa. It's versatile and can be used in different dishes throughout the week, saving you cooking time!
Yummy! That's a great tip about the freezer bags! Sometimes we get so caught up with work and preparing the meals themselves that we forget about the simple hacks that can make our lives easier.

I also like your idea of batch cooking grains. It definitely saves time and is a nice base for various healthy dishes throughout the week - plus, it's super easy to cook in bulk! You might also save some dollars by buying rice or quinoa in larger quantities!

That's a great tip about freezer bags! I've not thought of that. I usually just end up freezing them in plastic containers, which takes up so much space! It's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference.

That's a good one! I also like to precook and freeze quinoa and brown rice too. It saves so much time and they're super versatile - just defrost and heat them up with different seasonings for a quick and healthy meal!

Good tip about the freezer bags! I do that too, it's so handy for portions meant for one meal. I also like to freeze portions of homemade stock - it's great having some ready when a recipe calls for it and saves me from running out to buy stock every time.

That's a good one! Batch cooking grains is handy, especially when you don't want to cook every day. I also like to use my slow cooker for meal prep. I can just let it simmer on Sundays while I'm doing other things. Then I portion and freeze the cooked meat. It stays tender despite being frozen, and it's an easy, hands-off way to cook in bulk.

I'm not a fan of rice or quinoa but frozen vegetables are another win for quick meal prep. Steamable bags are especially handy and include so many varieties - no excuses for not getting in your daily veggies! Just chuck 'em in the microwave or boiled water.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and musical
Buy those tiny portion bags of frozen mixed vegetables. They are conveniently chopped and ready for the pan.
True! Also handy when you're craving a soupy meal. Defrost, chuck 'em into the pot, and you have a wholesome lunch ready in no time!

That's a great idea! Those bags of frozen veggies are a lifeline when you're running short on time. Convenient, nutritious and no wasted produce!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity and joyful
That's a handy tip! Those mixed bags of veggies are a time-saving hack It's such an easy way to throw in some healthy veggies into your meals with minimal prep work needed. I usually have a bag or two stashed in the freezer for emergency meals!

True, those little bags of frozen veggies are a great timesaver! No chopping required, and they're often a lifesaver when you're running low on fresh ingredients. They're versatile too, as you can throw them into soups, stews, omelets, or pasta dishes.

Anything to make the cooking process faster without compromising the nutrition is a win!

True that! I also like to keep a couple of bags of those mixed vege frozen because they're a real time saver. And they're often a lifeline on busy days when you realise you've forgotten to defrost any meats. Just dump it all into the wok or pot with some spices and you're good to go in minutes.

That's a great idea! I like how convenient it is to just grab a bag and throw them into the pan. It certainly saves a lot of prep time, especially for busy nights. These tiny bags of goodness are a real lifesaver!

That's a great idea! Frozen veggies are so convenient and a good way to ensure you have some healthy sides ready anytime. I find that having these small portions bags of varied ingredients can also inspire some creativity when you're running low on culinary ideas.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu