• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maximizing Money

That is very wise advice!

I'd also add don't be afraid to bulk buy or stock up on essentials when there are great deals to be had. For example, toilet paper and other non-perishable staples can be bought in bulk when on special. They'll keep, and you save on future trips to the store and potential full-price purchases.
That's a good call! Bulk buying can be a great strategy, especially for items with long shelf lives or those we use regularly. It reduces the frequency of our shopping trips and saves us money in the long run. I usually bulk buy nappies and wipes - babies go through them like water! - and stock up on household essentials during big supermarket sales. It definitely eases the burden on my wallet and leaves room for the occasional indulgence too.

Questioning the true necessity of purchases is a great way to save money. I would add that you should also consider the long-term value of items you buy. Will they last? Are they versatile enough to be worn or used frequently, making them worth the cost per use?

For example, investing in a good quality jacket that can be dressed up or down and lasts for years is more financially savvy than buying several trendy ones that only last a season.
You make a great point about the long-term value of investments! Buying timeless pieces that last seasons is definitely fiscally responsible. It's also a more environmentally sustainable way of shopping, which saves on resources and the world's carbon footprint - another great reason to consider it!

That is very wise advice!

I'd also add don't be afraid to bulk buy or stock up on essentials when there are great deals to be had. For example, toilet paper and other non-perishable staples can be bought in bulk when on special. They'll keep, and you save on future trips to the store and potential full-price purchases.
it's a good idea to stock up on non-perishables! Supermarkets often have promotions where these essentials are discounted, and you can save quite a bit by buying in bulk. It's a great way to maximize your dollars, especially when coupled with planning your meals ahead of time. You won't then run out of essentials and be forced to buy them at full price last minute! The key is probably not to overdo it - buy only what you know you can reasonably use before they expire or go bad.

That is very true. Buying only what is needed is a great discipline to have when stretching your dollars. It's amazing how many unnecessary "nice-to-haves" we can accumulate over time!

I second the notion of assessing the necessity of purchases. I've found that sleeping on impulse buys overnight helps me gauge whether I really need an item. This physical separation from the item, combined with a strict 24-hour rule, often cools my desire for it and saves me money.

Your tip on negotiating prices is also spot on. Many people may not realise it, but most prices are often open for negotiation, especially if you're a long-term customer or purchasing in bulk. It pays to be assertive and ask for a better deal.

These strategies, though simple, can certainly help make a difference in financial management.
You're right about sleeping over impulse buys. That cool-down period lets one evaluate if the item is really needed or just a passing fancy. besides helping your wallet, it also avoids unnecessary clutter in the long run! Assertiveness goes a long way too; many businesses are open to discussion, especially if it means retaining a customer.

It's encouraging to see so many simple yet effective strategies for saving. There's definitely strength in sharing these tips and hearing how others maximise their dollars!

As an event planner, you definitely have many opportunities to stretch the budget and maximize cost savings!

I agree with you that selling old items is a great way to make some extra cash, especially for those who have a knack for collecting and curating pre-loved items. I know a few eco-conscious individuals who swear by secondhand shopping not just for the affordability but also for environmental reasons - it's impressive how they manage to find high-quality items at a fraction of the price!

It's also prudent advice to negotiate and compare, especially for us singletons who do not have the time or inclination to regularly monitor the best deals. That extra effort to negotiate can sweeten the deal significantly!

Perhaps we could also share some tips on budgeting for different scenarios? I know some event planning businesses rely heavily on seasonal trends - like weddings and year-end parties - so budget allocation must be considered based on the demand and clientele at different times of the year. Would love to hear your insights on this!
You are right! As an event planner, I find that negotiating skills come in handy, especially when dealing with vendors and suppliers. I've learned that building long-term relationships with them often leads to better deals and even personalised perks over time.

Budgeting seasonally is a clever strategy especially for us planners who rely heavily on events. I find that setting a realistic baseline budget, then allocating wiggle room for unexpected expenses, works best for me. This way, I stay mindful of the main goals, yet flexible enough to adapt to changes and still provide my clients with the best experience possible.

For fellow event organizers out there, what other money-saving tips could we share with our community? We certainly have a challenging but rewarding role!

As an event planner, managing expenses is crucial! Your work must be rewarding but certainly not inexpensive. Good on you for sharing these great tips on maximizing money, which are super helpful especially for us moms! I especially agree with selling old items because it's amazing how much value they can recoup and save you space! Also, your first point on budgeting and tracking expenses is spot on and often overlooked - sometimes we spend without truly knowing where our dollars go. It's only when we understand our spending patterns that we can make better financial decisions.
It's true that understanding our spending pattern is the first step to gaining control over our finances. I usually advise tracking expenses for a minimum of two weeks, or even a month, to get a good grasp of where the money goes and adjust our budgets accordingly. It's quite eye-opening!

As an event planner, you definitely have many opportunities to stretch the budget and maximize cost savings!

I agree with you that selling old items is a great way to make some extra cash, especially for those who have a knack for collecting and curating pre-loved items. I know a few eco-conscious individuals who swear by secondhand shopping not just for the affordability but also for environmental reasons - it's impressive how they manage to find high-quality items at a fraction of the price!

It's also prudent advice to negotiate and compare, especially for us singletons who do not have the time or inclination to regularly monitor the best deals. That extra effort to negotiate can sweeten the deal significantly!

Perhaps we could also share some tips on budgeting for different scenarios? I know some event planning businesses rely heavily on seasonal trends - like weddings and year-end parties - so budget allocation must be considered based on the demand and clientele at different times of the year. Would love to hear your insights on this!
You make a great point about budgeting for different seasons and the fluctuating demands of the event planning business. During peak season, it's prudent to anticipate the rise in demand and plan their finances accordingly. Perhaps drawing up a detailed budget with some wiggle room for emergencies is a good strategy.

For off-peak periods, which can be slower for the events industry, it might be a good idea to take advantage of the downtime by negotiating contracts with suppliers ahead of time and locking in good deals for the quieter periods. This could ensure some cost savings and more security in knowing your overhead costs are taken care of when business is slow.

Some event planners may also wish to capitalize on the slower months to organize and host their own events to practice their crafts and showcase their skills. This could be a great way to network, gain extra income, and stretch their creative muscles without the pressure of high-paying clients during these periods. Others may prefer to offer discounts for events held during these quieter times, thus enticing customers with attractive prices while still making some money.

I'm sure experienced event planners like yourself must have survived a few busy seasons already and have interesting strategies up your sleeve!

As an event planner, managing expenses is crucial! Your work must be rewarding but certainly not inexpensive. Good on you for sharing these great tips on maximizing money, which are super helpful especially for us moms! I especially agree with selling old items because it's amazing how much value they can recoup and save you space! Also, your first point on budgeting and tracking expenses is spot on and often overlooked - sometimes we spend without truly knowing where our dollars go. It's only when we understand our spending patterns that we can make better financial decisions.
You're right; event planning must be a demanding field requiring constant financial vigilance! Budgeting awareness is a muscle that needs exercise - it's too easy to let impulsive purchases sneak in and rob us of hard-earned cash! Also, your strategy of recouping some costs by selling old items is such a great way to involve in the fun of shopping secondhand.

As an event planner, your financial savvy is certainly tested daily! It's great how you plan and track spending, especially with the awareness of impulse buying, a common issue many face. Negotiating and comparing prices is a skill that can significantly impact one's finances in the long run.

I second the idea of selling unwanted items - it's amazing how much value some of our possessions can still command, especially if well-maintained! It's also environmentally friendly to reuse and recycle pre-loved items.
As they say, every dollar counts - especially so for event planners managing tight budgets! It's wise to plan and track spending, and I believe many successful financial strategies stem from this fundamental point you've made. From there, it's a matter of discipline and conscious effort to stick to the plans! It's interesting how much one can save by being thoughtful about their purchases.

Selling old items clears unnecessary clutter and puts some money back in your pocket. It's a win-win situation that teaches you the value of minimizing waste. Plus, it can be addictive once you see the extra cash add up from selling off old junk!
True that! I've always believed in the saying, "One person's junk is another person's treasure"! Platforms like Carousell or Facebook Marketplace have made it so much easier to list and sell pre-loved items. It's amazing how some things can still fetch a good price, even after we've finished using them. It's quite a satisfying feeling to see those unwanted items go to new homes and earn some money in the process!

As an event planner, your financial savvy is certainly tested daily! It's great how you plan and track spending, especially with the awareness of impulse buying, a common issue many face. Negotiating and comparing prices is a skill that can significantly impact one's finances in the long run.

I second the idea of selling unwanted items - it's amazing how much value some of our possessions can still command, especially if well-maintained! It's also environmentally friendly to reuse and recycle pre-loved items.
What other eco-friendly strategies do you use to save money? I'm always on the lookout for ways to reduce waste while saving dollars so would love to hear your thoughts!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
That's a great strategy! I especially like the idea of not touching the savings unless it's for an emergency. Too often, we're tempted to dip into our hard-earned savings for non-essential purchases that can easily be avoided. Self-discipline is key!
Yes The temptation to splurge can be very real, and many a time we convince ourselves that we deserve that new dress or latest gadget. But delayed gratification brings a sense of satisfaction, knowing you've earned that purchase with months of discipline.

That's a great strategy! I especially like the idea of not touching the savings unless it's for an emergency. Too often, we're tempted to dip into our hard-earned savings for non-essential purchases that can easily be avoided. Self-discipline is key!
Yes! Having a dedicated savings goal also helps to stay motivated. Emergency funds are not to be touched lightly! Impulsive buying habits can wreak havoc on carefully curated financial plans. Self control and discipline is the cornerstone of any successful financial strategy!

Yeah, that's true. It's wise to avoid touching your emergency funds for non- emergencies. Saving up is never easy, and withdrawing from the account may dent your willpower. The money saved could instead grow interest and come in handy during rain or shine!

That's a smart strategy! I've heard of the 'pay yourself first' rule but never actually applied it. Seems like a good way to trick yourself into saving money without noticing, heh.
The 'Pay Yourself First' method is an old trick that many find useful! It's amazing how quickly those savings can add up and become a nice little emergency fund or a splurge fund. It's also a great psychological trick to make you think twice about unnecessary spending; having that dedicated savings cushion can make you more resistant to impulse buys.

That's a smart strategy! I've heard of the 'pay yourself first' rule but never actually applied it. Seems like a good way to trick yourself into saving money without noticing, heh.
That's the idea! Out of sight, out of mind. It's amazing how quickly those saved amounts can grow too. Some people may appreciate the discipline of a strict budget, but this method sneaks savings in seamlessly.

Yeah, it's a great subconscious trick to prioritize savings. Most of us find excuses not to save, so this method helps combat that psychological lapse.

You're right; it's a subconscious yet effective method that soon adds up without you realizing! It's an excellent psychological trick to prioritize savings, especially for those of us who struggle to keep money tucked away.

That's a great strategy! I've heard of the 'pay yourself first' rule before, and it's a fantastic way to prioritize saving. It's amazing how quickly those savings can grow when done consistently.

The key is really discipline and making sure you stick to your budget, especially if you're setting aside a significant portion of your income. But it's a worthwhile sacrifice in the long run.
You've got to keep yourself in check when it comes to unnecessary spending - budgeting doesn't feel fun, especially when you have to say no to yourself! But you're right; consistency is key with financial goals.

That's a great strategy! I've heard of the 'pay yourself first' rule before, and it's a fantastic way to prioritize saving. It's amazing how quickly those savings can grow when done consistently.

The key is really discipline and making sure you stick to your budget, especially if you're setting aside a significant portion of your income. But it's a worthwhile sacrifice in the long run.
Yeah, budgeting and discipline go a long way. It's a sacrifice now for future gains. The opposite - spending indiscriminately now and regretting later - is definitely not a fun place to be.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu