• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's kick things off by sharing our top maternity must-haves!

I'll go first:

1. Full panel, high waisted jeans - they're super comfy and keep everything sucked in
2. Empire waist dresses - so comfy and flattery your bump
3. A selection of supportive yet comfortable bras
4. Maternity pillows - I found mine a godsend for getting comfy at night
5. Stretchy, bump-accommodating activewear. So good for staying active during pregnancy and beyond!

What are your top picks?

I'll go first:

1. Full panel, high waisted jeans - they're super comfy and keep everything sucked in
5. Stretchy, bump-accommodating activewear. So good for staying active during pregnancy and beyond!

What are your top picks?
I second the maternity pillow; it was my best friend during my pregnancies! Also, a must-have for me were my compression socks - they helped with blood flow and prevented swelling in my ankles and feet.

Reactions: travelmum

I'll go first:

What are your top picks?
I second the maternity pillow; it was like having an extra pair of helping hands reliefing the aching back when pregnant! Also, I found that a pregnancy belt came in handy toward the third trimester, providing much-needed support for my bump.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
I second the maternity pillow; it was my best friend during my pregnancies! Also, a must-have for me were my compression socks - they helped with blood flow and prevented swelling in my ankles and feet.
My must-haves were comfortable slip-on shoes with good arch support, which helped with backaches and tired feet, and of course, lots of snacks! You never know when the baby might get hungry. ;)

During pregnancy, what a lot of people don't realize is that some smells are incredibly enhanced, and scents can be overwhelming. I found a good unscented body lotion that didn't irritate my skin or smell too perfumed, which was a real lifesaver! Also, I discovered a natural peppermint lip balm that helped with morning sickness - it was soothing and cool.

I would add to the list comfortable slippers or sandals. My feet swelled up so much towards the end of my pregnancy that I couldn't fit into my regular shoes anymore! Having comfortable footwear was a godsend.

I'll go first:

What are your top picks?
For me, it'll have to be shapewear that makes you look slimmer and smoother under any dress. You can get some good ones that don't feel too restrictive, which is ideal for pregnancy. Also indispensable: a trustworthy obstetrician, but that's another story.

I second the maternity pillow; it was like having an extra pair of helping hands reliefing the aching back when pregnant! Also, I found that a pregnancy belt came in handy toward the third trimester, providing much-needed support for my bump.
A pregnancy belt sounds like a must-have for late pregnancies! Did you find that you needed to see a carpenter or someone with good DIY skills to help adjust it to your liking, or was it fairly intuitive and adjustable by yourself?

During pregnancy, what a lot of people don't realize is that some smells are incredibly enhanced, and scents can be overwhelming. I found a good unscented body lotion that didn't irritate my skin or smell too perfumed, which was a real lifesaver! Also, I discovered a natural peppermint lip balm that helped with morning sickness - it was soothing and cool.
Unscented body products are definitely a great idea during pregnancy! The last thing you want is to be overwhelmed by strong scents!

What other mama-must-haves do you think every expecting mum should have?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
I would add to the list comfortable slippers or sandals. My feet swelled up so much towards the end of my pregnancy that I couldn't fit into my regular shoes anymore! Having comfortable footwear was a godsend.
They do sound like good ideas! Lots of pregnant mamas would find them helpful, especially in their third trimesters.

My personal must-have was a small, compact fan. I found myself constantly hot during pregnancy, so having that cool breeze was soothing and comforting! My husband joked that I'd turn into an old lady with all the sighing and sweating, but hey, it was a real lifesaver!

Another essential is a supportive yet lightweight nursing bra, preferably one that's easy to use with only one hand - trust me, you'll need it when you're trying to hold a feeding baby and adjust your bra at 2 in the morning!

Unscented body products are definitely a great idea during pregnancy! The last thing you want is to be overwhelmed by strong scents!

As smells can be overwhelming during pregnancy, having a perfume or essential oil that has a calming scent and helps with nausea could be a great addition to the maternity must-haves list. I found lavender oil relaxing and refreshing - just a few drops on my pillow or rubbing some onto my wrists helped with relaxation and eased nausea.

Some mums-to-be might also appreciate having a pregnancy diary or app where they can track their pregnancy journey, document appointments, and keep ultrasounds and other keepsakes all in one place!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
A pregnancy belt sounds like a must-have for late pregnancies! Did you find that you needed to see a carpenter or someone with good DIY skills to help adjust it to your liking, or was it fairly intuitive and adjustable by yourself?
The belt was super easy to use and adjust - it had a simple velcro fastening. I would highly recommend it, it gave much-needed lower back support and relieved some of the physical strain in my later months!

My must-haves were comfortable slip-on shoes with good arch support, which helped with backaches and tired feet, and of course, lots of snacks! You never know when the baby might get hungry. ;)
Maternity must-haves include comfort and easy access to food; no wonder most expecting mothers tend to be snappy! I, for one, could not survive without my pregnancy belt and supportive bras. There's just too much aching and swelling going on in that stage of life to prioritize comforts.

What other items would you ladies deem essential?

The pregnancy belt was super easy to use and adjust - it's basically a supportive band that goes around your belly to provide extra support, which relieved some pressure from the lower back. It's a bit like wearing an ace bandage but way more comfy and with proper support. I felt like it really helped with my posture too - kept me from hunching over! Definitely recommend checking them out, they're not that expensive either.

Reactions: cissy

A good body cream or lotion is a necessity, especially one that's designed for stretch marks. The skin on your tummy stretches incredibly fast and can end up very dry and itchy - at least it did for me! Keeping yourself hydrated from the outside is just as important as staying hydrated by drinking lots of water.

Reactions: sunflower
A good body cream or lotion is a necessity, especially one that's designed for stretch marks. The skin on your tummy stretches incredibly fast and can end up very dry and itchy - at least it did for me! Keeping yourself hydrated from the outside is just as important as staying hydrated by drinking lots of water.
A soothing body butter or oil sounds like a luxurious yet practical indulgence for expectant mums-to-be! A little goes a long way in keeping skin nourished and comfortable. ___
Some women might also want to add a prenatal pilates or yoga DVD, or a subscription to an appropriate workout app, to help with flexibility, strength, and endurance during pregnancy. Exercise can certainly ease some common discomforts and help keep your mind and body healthy. Pelvic floor exercises are especially beneficial too - kegels are a must!

The pregnancy belt was super easy to use and adjust - it's basically a supportive band that goes around your belly to provide extra support, which relieved some pressure from the lower back. It's a bit like wearing an ace bandage but way more comfy and with proper support. I felt like it really helped with my posture too - kept me from hunching over! Definitely recommend checking them out, they're not that expensive either.
I'd also recommend some comfortable and breathable underwear made from cotton or bamboo. Your regular lingerie may not fit and could irritate your skin with all the added pregnancy hormones causing it to be extra sensitive.

As smells can be overwhelming during pregnancy, having a perfume or essential oil that has a calming scent and helps with nausea could be a great addition to the maternity must-haves list. I found lavender oil relaxing and refreshing - just a few drops on my pillow or rubbing some onto my wrists helped with relaxation and eased nausea.

Some mums-to-be might also appreciate having a pregnancy diary or app where they can track their pregnancy journey, document appointments, and keep ultrasounds and other keepsakes all in one place!
It's really a personal preference for expectant moms and what they believe would help them through the stages of pregnancy. As every pregnancy is different, recommendations may vary based on individual experiences too!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom and koala
That settles it then! pregnancy belts sound like a great investment, be it for personal use or as a gift for expectant mothers. They seem easy to use and adjustment won't require outside help, which is convenient for moms-to-be who are already stressed out with so many things to prepare for their little ones.

On that note, bump-friendly clothing, like those empire-waist dresses mentioned earlier, would also be a comfy choice for later pregnancy days when the bump really starts to show! Empire waists look fancy too, which is an added bonus for the style-conscious moms out there.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu