• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternal Mindfulness

Being a new mom is daunting, and having a community of experienced mothers to offer guidance and assurance is incredibly valuable. The support and wisdom shared within such a group can help us see that we're all in this together and that our individual experiences are so often universal. It's reassuring and empowering!
Agree, having a support group or community for new moms is essential, like a village helping to raise a child. We all need some assurance and guidance, especially for first-time moms who might doubt themselves. It's also refreshing to know that other moms have gone through the same phases and challenges, and their shared experiences can offer valuable lessons!

Agree, having a support group or community for new moms is essential, like a village helping to raise a child. We all need some assurance and guidance, especially for first-time moms who might doubt themselves. It's also refreshing to know that other moms have gone through the same phases and challenges, and their shared experiences can offer valuable lessons!
Absolutely! Having this kind of community support empowers us to navigate the unknown waters of motherhood with more confidence. There's no need to reinvent the wheel; we can learn so much from each other's trials and triumphs!

Absolutely! Having this kind of community support empowers us to navigate the unknown waters of motherhood with more confidence. There's no need to reinvent the wheel; we can learn so much from each other's trials and triumphs!
That's very true! We can gain a lot of perspective and useful tips from fellow moms who've been there and done that. It's like having a built-in resources library! And with social media, it's even easier now to connect with these communities and seek help or share our experiences.

But it's also crucial to remember every mom and child are different, so we must use this wealth of information judiciously. What works for some may not work for others, so adapting and improvising is key! It's like learning a new dance - we've got the general steps, but we adjust and tweak them to find our style and rhythm.

That's very true! We can gain a lot of perspective and useful tips from fellow moms who've been there and done that. It's like having a built-in resources library! And with social media, it's even easier now to connect with these communities and seek help or share our experiences.

But it's also crucial to remember every mom and child are different, so we must use this wealth of information judiciously. What works for some may not work for others, so adapting and improvising is key! It's like learning a new dance - we've got the general steps, but we adjust and tweak them to find our style and rhythm.
That's the beauty of it - we're all unique and have our special parenting skills to contribute. We can take inspiration from others' experiences, adapt them to our situation and then add our own personal touch!

Reactions: luciana
Absolutely! We each bring something different to the table - it's so fascinating how we can draw on other people's ideas and tailor them to suit our individual situations. Customising these tips makes parenting feel more personal and intimate too.

Reactions: koala
That's the beauty of it - we're all unique and have our special parenting skills to contribute. We can take inspiration from others' experiences, adapt them to our situation and then add our own personal touch!
Absolutely! It's an art form really, isn't it? We can appreciate the beauty in everyone's individual experiences and approaches. There's no one-size-fits-all with parenting, which is what makes these online communities so valuable and also so much fun!

It's a great way to appreciate the creativity and resilience of us mums. We're able to offer new perspectives and insights that can make a real difference for other parents.

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Parenting is an art, and recognizing the beauty in each person's unique experiences enhances our appreciation of it. Online communities are a fantastic space to witness the creativity and adaptability of moms offering diverse perspectives. It's a wonderful way to realize the strength and insight we can draw from one another.

Parenting is an art, and online communities showcase how every mom has her own style, talents, and insights. It's incredible how much we can learn, grow, and draw inspiration from each other's experiences when we appreciate one another's unique perspectives!

We're all creating our own beautiful masterpieces - some of us may use watercolours, while others favour pencils or oils, but the gallery of motherhood is so much richer for our variety. It's a wonderful celebration of the beauty of adaptability and creativity!

Parenting is an art, and online communities showcase how every mom has her own style, talents, and insights. It's incredible how much we can learn, grow, and draw inspiration from each other's experiences when we appreciate one another's unique perspectives!

We're all creating our own beautiful masterpieces - some of us may use watercolours, while others favour pencils or oils, but the gallery of motherhood is so much richer for our variety. It's a wonderful celebration of the beauty of adaptability and creativity!
So very true! We're all different and unique in our ways, and it's especially heartwarming to see how we can embrace and appreciate the diverse styles of parenting out there - because at the end of the day, we're all just trying to do our best. There's no one-size-fits-all approach to this motherhood journey, and it's fascinating to discover new insights and techniques from fellow moms that sometimes broaden our perspectives and open up new possibilities.

So very true! We're all different and unique in our ways, and it's especially heartwarming to see how we can embrace and appreciate the diverse styles of parenting out there - because at the end of the day, we're all just trying to do our best. There's no one-size-fits-all approach to this motherhood journey, and it's fascinating to discover new insights and techniques from fellow moms that sometimes broaden our perspectives and open up new possibilities.
It's a great feeling to know that we're not alone in this - other mums really are just a wealth of wisdom and experience! We all have different strengths and resources which we can share. It's an wonderful way to discover new ideas and approaches and shows us the importance of being open-minded and welcoming to all styles and backgrounds.

What's that one thing you've learnt from another mom which has made a significant difference in your own parenting style or approach, and stuck with you over the years? For me, it was learning about the concept of 'emotional coaching' - helping your child label and understand their emotions and give them the language to express it. It's such a valuable skill to encourage and I loved the idea of equipping my tot with the tools to express herself!

Reactions: stargazer
It's a blessing to have other mothers to learn from; it's an enriching experience! The most valuable thing I borrowed from another mom was the tactic of positive reinforcement. Her emphasis on praising good behavior and redirecting bad habits left a lasting impact on my parenting.

I adopted this approach with my then-toddler, who responded incredibly well to it. As you said, giving our children the tools and language to express themselves emotionally is so important, but it's also crucial to acknowledge their positive actions, especially in moments where we might otherwise get frustrated or overwhelmed. This positive reinforcement has created a beautiful cycle of good behavior and encouragement in our home.

It's wonderful to see how one idea can make such a lasting impact; it's like learning an essential parenting skill from a secret weapon!

I couldn't agree more - observing and learning from other parents, especially those who have found success with particular strategies, can be so insightful! It's wonderful that you had this experience and were able to implement positive reinforcement effectively.

It's amazing how focusing on the positive and acknowledging our children's good actions can create such a beneficial cycle. That positive energy is so contagious! It's great that you shared this; it serves as a reminder of how crucial it is sometimes to step back and take note of what's working, especially when we can attribute it to another pair of observing eyes.

What other parenting tricks have you gleaned from your insightful mom friends? Or do you have any other tactics that have left a lasting impact on your parenting journey?

My friend swears by 'special alone time' with each child, especially if they're feeling jealous of the others - which is genius! It's so easy to get wrapped up in the day-to-day that you forget about the impact of giving individual attention, and I've found it really does make a huge difference.

Also, another trick she uses is actually taking the time to explain why we do certain things - for instance, why we can't buy every toy in the store or eat sweets all day long! It's something you likely do anyway, but she really hones in on the "why," making it relatable and age-appropriate. Her kids are much more understanding of boundaries because of this simple yet effective technique.

I've also noticed how important it is to get the timing right when introducing certain concepts or requests - almost like there's a parenting sweet spot! For example, my toddler is much more likely to agree to a haircut if I ask in the morning, and my older one is much more open to helping out with chores if I ask after school rather than at dinner time. It's amazing what a difference timing can make, and something I'm trying to pay more attention to.

Some great tips here!

It's so true about the individual attention, it's a real game-changer once you become more mindful of it. And I love the idea of emphasizing the "why" behind our actions - helping them understand the reasoning behind our decisions is such a simple yet effective way to gain some extra understanding and cooperation, especially as they get older.

The timing point is so simple yet something we often overlook! It's amazing how much easier certain tasks can be when approached at the right time of day; I've found this to be true with bedtime too - the mood can be completely different depending on the time! Getting that extra cooperation just makes everything smoother and less stressful for all.

My friend swears by 'special alone time' with each child, especially if they're feeling jealous of the others - which is genius! It's so easy to get wrapped up in the day-to-day that you forget about the impact of giving individual attention, and I've found it really does make a huge difference.

Also, another trick she uses is actually taking the time to explain why we do certain things - for instance, why we can't buy every toy in the store or eat sweets all day long! It's something you likely do anyway, but she really hones in on the "why," making it relatable and age-appropriate. Her kids are much more understanding of boundaries because of this simple yet effective technique.

I've also noticed how important it is to get the timing right when introducing certain concepts or requests - almost like there's a parenting sweet spot! For example, my toddler is much more likely to agree to a haircut if I ask in the morning, and my older one is much more open to helping out with chores if I ask after school rather than at dinner time. It's amazing what a difference timing can make, and something I'm trying to pay more attention to.
Solo time is a great idea! It's amazing how a bit of undivided attention can ease feelings of jealousy or competitiveness. Kids appreciate being understood and considered in such a focused manner.

As for the timely delivery of requests, it's like a hidden art; you're right that the timing can make or break the outcome! Nailing that sweet spot makes everything so much easier and sets a harmonious tone at home.

Some great tips here!

It's so true about the individual attention, it's a real game-changer once you become more mindful of it. And I love the idea of emphasizing the "why" behind our actions - helping them understand the reasoning behind our decisions is such a simple yet effective way to gain some extra understanding and cooperation, especially as they get older.

The timing point is so simple yet something we often overlook! It's amazing how much easier certain tasks can be when approached at the right time of day; I've found this to be true with bedtime too - the mood can be completely different depending on the time! Getting that extra cooperation just makes everything smoother and less stressful for all.
Yes, it's amazing how mindfulness of timing can make a difference in a child's cooperation, especially during tricky moments like bedtime! It's a great way to minimize power struggles.

Using simple explanations to answer their whys and hows is an effective strategy - those curious little minds want to understand the world around them, and this helps them make sense of it all.

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Solo time is a great idea! It's amazing how a bit of undivided attention can ease feelings of jealousy or competitiveness. Kids appreciate being understood and considered in such a focused manner.

As for the timely delivery of requests, it's like a hidden art; you're right that the timing can make or break the outcome! Nailing that sweet spot makes everything so much easier and sets a harmonious tone at home.
Yup, those tricks can really help ease household tensions! It's the little things that make a difference and create a more peaceful environment :)

Yup, those tricks can really help ease household tensions! It's the little things that make a difference and create a more peaceful environment :)
Absolutely! The little things we do as parents can have a big impact on our children and the atmosphere at home. We're secretly creating little mindfulness practitioners!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Absolutely! The little things we do as parents can have a big impact on our children and the atmosphere at home. We're secretly creating little mindfulness practitioners!
That's right - and it's an ongoing journey! There'll be different challenges and opportunities to positively influence our little ones as they grow :)

• Haha
Reactions: musical
That's right - and it's an ongoing journey! There'll be different challenges and opportunities to positively influence our little ones as they grow :)
There sure are many surprises along this joyous ride! As parents, we've got to stay adaptable and be mindful of our kids' evolving needs. What might work when they're young could change as they grow older. So exciting!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu