• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

You've shared some great insights! It's good to hear that distraction techniques work well for your tot's tantrums - it's a savvy way to navigate those tricky situations. Consistency is the key with manners - setting those expectations from an early age pays off!

As you said, each child is unique, so parents need to experiment to find what suits their little personalities. But that's half the fun - figuring out these little humans and their quirkiness!
every toddler has their own quirky personality, and it's part of the fun in parenting to discover and adapt to their individual characters. It's a joy when we figure out what works best for them!

You've shared some great insights! It's good to hear that distraction techniques work well for your tot's tantrums - it's a savvy way to navigate those tricky situations. Consistency is the key with manners - setting those expectations from an early age pays off!

As you said, each child is unique, so parents need to experiment to find what suits their little personalities. But that's half the fun - figuring out these little humans and their quirkiness!
Yes it's a challenge every parent has to navigate themselves. We can offer all the tips we want, but at the end of the day, each child is different and you gotta find what works best for your situation. And yes, like you said, that's the fun part of it too! Finding those unique ways to manage his or her quirks. So many parent failures along the way, but a good laugh eventually when you look back at them!

You and I share a similar approach of diverting attention from potential meltdown situations with our quick thinking. it is soothing to know that what works for you at home also applies to me outdoors. Not all tactics work twice, so I am pleased to hear your variety of go-to distractions, which I can draw upon when managing my child's behavior.

I haven't thought of making good manners training fun; this sounds like a great approach to instill values while keeping the lessons memorable and enjoyable! And yes, sending the little ones for some outdoor time is a savior, especially when we need that respite from the demands of indoor activities!

I'm glad you shared these tips! It's encouraging to see how other mummies are managing their mini humans. It's a challenging stage but these strategies help make it more manageable! Any other hacks parents have up their sleeves?
It's great that we're able to find common ground in some of the techniques! Toddlers surely keep us on our toes, so it's always reassuring to discover what works for others in the same boat. I agree that it's a relief to have a repertoire of outdoor and indoor activities to fall back on!

You and I share a similar approach of diverting attention from potential meltdown situations with our quick thinking. it is soothing to know that what works for you at home also applies to me outdoors. Not all tactics work twice, so I am pleased to hear your variety of go-to distractions, which I can draw upon when managing my child's behavior.

I haven't thought of making good manners training fun; this sounds like a great approach to instill values while keeping the lessons memorable and enjoyable! And yes, sending the little ones for some outdoor time is a savior, especially when we need that respite from the demands of indoor activities!

I'm glad you shared these tips! It's encouraging to see how other mummies are managing their mini humans. It's a challenging stage but these strategies help make it more manageable! Any other hacks parents have up their sleeves?
You're right - the key is to be prepared and arm ourselves with many different tactics because, yes (oops), our little ones won't react the same way twice! Teaching manners can certainly be creative, and I appreciate how you make it a two-way learning experience where your child "teaches" you good manners too. This approach makes parenting more fun and less stressful when they're so enthusiastic about it!

On the subject of outdoor activities, what other engaging games or spots do you frequent besides the good ol' park or playground? It's always helpful to have new ideas to explore!

Redirection and consistent teaching of manners are definitely helpful strategies! Outdoor time and focused attention on appealing activities also do wonders. When all else fails, good old physical exertion helps wear them out eventually! Any other clever ideas?
You've hit the nail on the head with the outdoor exercise - it's a great way to exhaust their never-ending supply of energy! I find giving them a sense of responsibility works well too; giving clear age-appropriate instructions helps develop their sense of identity and belonging. Something as simple as picking up their toys or helping with the gardening can give them that needed sense of achievement. It's amazing how motivated they feel when given "grown-up" tasks! And it certainly helps us mummies too, especially with some extra help around the house.

Do you think there's any specific strategy that would work best among the multitude of challenges faced during the toddler phase? Or is it more a matter of 'survival' and adapting multiple strategies as situations demand?
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to managing toddlers; it's often about trying different tactics and understanding what works best for your little one. The ever-changing circumstances demand adaptability and creativity. While some strategies may work today, they may not tomorrow - it's a dynamic process requiring our resilience!

Redirection and consistent teaching of manners are definitely helpful strategies! Outdoor time and focused attention on appealing activities also do wonders. When all else fails, good old physical exertion helps wear them out eventually! Any other clever ideas?
You're right; exhausttion is a good tactic to manage their behavior! I find that keeping a stock of affordable prizes/treats comes in handy during difficult phases. Nothing extravagant, just little stickers, colored pencils or his favorite fruit. Small rewards for good behavior and progress go a long way, providing incentive and a sense of achievement. Sometimes I let him "earn" a treat by helping me with odd jobs - which also teaches the value of work! But honestly, keeping them engaged is key; you win some, lose some, and on bad days, ice cream helps 😅

You're right about the physical activity - it's a great way to exhaust their endless energy! I find that giving them simple tasks while out shopping is another helpful strategy. They feel involved and useful, which encourages good behavior. For example, I'll give my older one a small notepad and ask him to note down items as we shop for groceries - he feels like he's on an important mission and behaves much better!

I also rely on the carrot and stick approach sometimes. Not bribery, but a simple incentive like a favorite snack or a fun activity later can help keep their moods in check. Conversely, taking privileges away for misbehaving works too, though it's not as fun. Taking away screen time is my ultimate weapon, though I try not to rely on it unless necessary! These seem to work for me so far, but this parenting gig sure keeps us on our toes, doesn't it! We've got to stick together and share these tips!

Yes exhausting them with playtime seems like a great way to end a fraught situation haha. I've heard of the 1-2-3 Magic technique which seems intriguing - a timed-out strategy where you give clear warnings before administering consequences. Also, an oldie but goodie - the sticker chart for good behavior, which ultimately leads to a small prize - can be a fun motivational tool! Some mums I know also rely on sensory play, like shaving foam or sandplay, to captivate their little ones and calm the chaos. These messy activities seem to create a profound sensory experience that engrosses toddlers.

Do you think there's any specific strategy that would work best among the multitude of challenges faced during the toddler phase? Or is it more a matter of 'survival' and adapting multiple strategies as situations demand?
There is no one-size-fits-all solution, definitely not with toddlers! It's a mix of multiple strategies and a lot of adaptability in responding to each situation. Every toddler has their own unique personality, and what works today might not work tomorrow - so staying on your toes is essential! You've gotta keep up that mom creativity! 😉

As a parent, I totally agree that consistency is vital. It helps children feel safe and understood when they know what's expected of them. Also, your point about ignoring mild tantrums is spot on! I've found that it helps to just quietly remove him from the situation and move on without making a fuss about the meltdown - they usually simmer down quickly.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on managing toddler energy when you're drained or when the usual tricks don't work? What's your go-to emergency strategy then? Also, do you have any unique ways to encourage good manners without making it feel like a chore or lecture? I'm always open to creative strategies!
When my usual tricks fail me and I'm too tired to think straight, my backup plan is to rely on my well-stocked 'treasure basket' filled with exciting, new (to them) toys that I rotate every few weeks. The element of surprise and the new excitement buys me some time and allows me to re-gather my energies. As for teaching manners, we play a game where we pretend to be super heroes who save the day by saying our 'magic words.' It's silly and fun, but it drives the message home!

As a parent, I totally agree that consistency is vital. It helps children feel safe and understood when they know what's expected of them. Also, your point about ignoring mild tantrums is spot on! I've found that it helps to just quietly remove him from the situation and move on without making a fuss about the meltdown - they usually simmer down quickly.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on managing toddler energy when you're drained or when the usual tricks don't work? What's your go-to emergency strategy then? Also, do you have any unique ways to encourage good manners without making it feel like a chore or lecture? I'm always open to creative strategies!
When my usual go-to activities fail me, which they sometimes inevitably do, and I'm at my wit's end, I find that engaging the help of other people can be a lifesaver. In such situations, I call on my husband or, if possible, a nearby relative or friend with kids to step in and offer a fresh experience for my little one. A change of caregiver might just do the trick to refresh everyone's moods!

For manners, we like to make it a game by playing the "Manners Monster." We created this fun character that loves good manners and gets stronger with each polite action or word. It's silly, but somehow it works! We also make it a family effort and come up with a cool manner-related challenge every week - who can say please the most times in a day or remember to say thank you without being prompted, etc. It makes it into a fun competition that encourages everyone to up their polite game.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu